Youth Work

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

How do you get into it?

I've spent most of my time since I left school working with kids through coaching, doing anti racism courses and other voluntary work.

Unfortunately, I've only just realised this is the kind of job I may enjoy and get the most from.

How do you get into it without any relevant qualifications? Are there any youth workers on the board?

I've tried looking around the net but I can't find anything useful, I'm hoping Kickback can help!

Cheers.

chester copperpot
How do you get into it?

I've spent most of my time since I left school working with kids through coaching, doing anti racism courses and other voluntary work.

Unfortunately, I've only just realised this is the kind of job I may enjoy and get the most from.

How do you get into it without any relevant qualifications? Are there any youth workers on the board?

I've tried looking around the net but I can't find anything useful, I'm hoping Kickback can help!

Cheers.

Think you need a qualification to be a social worker mate, or else enter the School system by applying to be a teaching assistant.

Depends on your qualifications, but think you need stuff to get to where you want to be. Wish you good luck, as I admire people who have the strength and conviction to do this.

I went down to London last week to do a 2 day charity thing with a charity which grew veggie's, etc etc to help the Mentally Disabled. Worked and helped them get integrated with the ordinary (sorry couldn't think of another word) people. It was the best thing I've ever done. Spent 2 days with guys who had learning disabilities, yet they showed me what to do when it came to digging up a plot and planting veggie's etc etc. Totally humiliating experience and one I plan to do again. These guys are awesome and really are warm and friendly. Sorry if I come across as a bit ignorant but i was until last week.

You'll probably need the HNC in Social Care (one year), which also includes the first four mandatory units of the SVQ Level 3 (which employers will put you through as either/or is usually acceptable). Hopefully you can get into it, by saying you are willing to work toward those. If they send you on the HNC, it will probably be 18 months of day release. I went back to college to do the HNC after realising thats the type of work I wanted to go into. The HNC also has a placement (if you go back to college) and they will place where you want to (they did when I went to Jewel and Esk).

You've got the right kind of experience employers seem to look for eg voluntary work and already doing youth type work through your coaching. If you really want to do it, college might be a good option. It was the best year ive had and my placement was the best 9 months of my working life.

Are you looking to do this as a FT job or move into something like Social Work?

You'll probably need the HNC in Social Care (one year), which also includes the first four mandatory units of the SVQ Level 3 (which employers will put you through as either/or is usually acceptable). Hopefully you can get into it, by saying you are willing to work toward those. If they send you on the HNC, it will probably be 18 months of day release. I went back to college to do the HNC after realising thats the type of work I wanted to go into. The HNC also has a placement (if you go back to college) and they will place where you want to (they did when I went to Jewel and Esk).

You've got the right kind of experience employers seem to look for eg voluntary work and already doing youth type work through your coaching. If you really want to do it, college might be a good option. It was the best year ive had and my placement was the best 9 months of my working life.

Are you looking to do this as a FT job or move into something like Social Work?

I'd be open to anything really mate.

I realise college is probably the way to go but it's about a month into all the courses now ...

I was hoping my experience may give me a shot at a job but my problem is I don't have the first idea about where to look for vacancies in Edinburgh or who to contact!

Cheers for the replies lads.

rix2.jpeg

Haha!

I doubt there is a more appropriate picture on the Internet than that ..... !

I'd be open to anything really mate.

I realise college is probably the way to go but it's about a month into all the courses now ...

I was hoping my experience may give me a shot at a job but my problem is I don't have the first idea about where to look for vacancies in Edinburgh or who to contact!

Cheers for the replies lads.

If you apply for jobs, make sure you put you would be willing to work toward the HNC and/or SVQ Level 3. Most employers will be able to do your SVQ's through themselves rather than sending you to college, though I think the HNC is well worth the time and effort. Your voluntary experience etc is a good start and always looks good on the CV.

Here : http://www.goodmoves.org.uk/home/home.asp

is a good site for jobs in the sector (so ive been told and so far its looks pretty good). Its a long process to find places who do paid work etc in this area but they are there if you look hard enough. It may also be a good idea to find out what type of youth work you want to do eg learning disabilties, drug and alcohol problems etc. If you do that, it might be easier to find somewhere but make sure you keep a broad view.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: if might be worth asking the Council or even the SCCYP. They might be able to put you in the right direction.

I am a youth worker and have been for 11 years and love it. It is not the same as social work, although I still get people thinking it is!

My work is only with 12-25 yr olds. In Edinburgh itself the council are not the best employees for youth work, but I would contact Youth Scotland which may give you some direction. Other routes in are through voluntary charities working with young people which may lead to paid posts within the organisations. Or you could move to Ullapool and work for me as im looking for some sessional workers.:).

In Highland every high school has a youth development officer (fancy name for main youth worker) and their role is to provide support and activities for all young people in the school catchment, so not just for the people still in school.

For youth work I would recomend you get some work experience before going to get a degree. Telford college do a 1 year youth work course which does work placememnts and if you still want to do it and go further up the ladder a degree in a social science or community education is the way up. Personally I rate someone who can actully communicate well with young people rather than a degree, but unfortunately the way the jobs go you need a degree to earn decent money so even I had to give in a go down that road. :(

If you want more info contact me. I have links with various groups who work around edinburgh so an give you some contacts.

Yvonne is on the money with that advice, vountary work (though you seem to have done that) then sessional work with different agencies, then bite the bullet and do your community education, then the youth work world is your oyster!

The Telford course is also good, or depending on your circumstances you could do some work overseas for a year or two

How do you get into it?

Cheers.

Volunteer , Volunteer , Volunteer. If its what your interested in then it wont be a big deal and will put u in the frame with those who will employ.

and put yourself on some relevent courses if you can.

I did, and got the job I wanted.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

An ex mate of mine's is head of a Youth work organisation down in East Lothian

He followed the exact path talked about here, volunteering for expenses, he was lucky as he did arts based and outdoor ed kinda stuff. He then got a position where they allowed him to train on the job for formal qualifications.

Plenty moolah when you get further up the tree too

YMCA Scotland might be worth a look

Some interesting replies guys, thanks.

I've emailed YMCA Scotland for some advice and contacted Yvonne.

What kind of voluntary work did you do Era Macaroons?

Some interesting replies guys, thanks.

I've emailed YMCA Scotland for some advice and contacted Yvonne.

What kind of voluntary work did you do Era Macaroons?

The company I worked for sponsored me (at my request) to do a 3 month project for a homeless charity.

I enjoyed it so much that I continued to volunteer after my 3 months were up, did a small 10 week evening class at Stevenson college (Intro to counselling ,once a week) and was soon offered a full time project with courses at college that were relevent.

Thats why I say be a reliable volunteer and be prepared to do anything.

There are many useless/half hearted volunteers (although they will never say that to them, cos they are volunteering) that pass through such projects.

Your undoubted talent will shine through and your face will be known when vacancies appear.

Moved on now but that was the best job I've had .

Archived