Salvatori or Brellier?

Johanes de Silentio

Johanes de Silentio

So - 2 excellent defensive midfielders, but who was better?

There's only one way to settle it - FIGHT!

Finding it hard to separate this pair of cup-winning heroes!

Dr Ian Malcolm

Salvatori. Class player. Plus he scored for us - absolute screamer against Dunfermline at EEP.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Brellier was nothing special but I never saw Salvatori play. Still Salvatori though :P

Did Brellier burn a Lithuanian flag or something as a young man?:P Vlad didn't like him much either.:)

Seriously though, Salvatori by some distance. But neither of them were as good as Scott Severin.

Did Brellier burn a Lithuanian flag or something as a young man?:P Vlad didn't like him much either.:)

Seriously though, Salvatori by some distance. But neither of them were as good as Scott Severin.

Don't know if you're taking the **** but IMO that's a good shout

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Don't know if you're taking the **** but IMO that's a good shout

Nah, genuine. Severin is the best defensive midfielder I've seen at Hearts.

Nah, genuine. Severin is the best defensive midfielder I've seen at Hearts.

Couldn't disagree as he goes beyond the stereotypical defensive midfielder as he got his fair share of goals could create and when the backs are against the wall he could step back into defense and help out there.

Salvatori by a country mile.

Here's 3 players that - as much it will pain some of you - were better in that position than Brellier:

Gronlund.

MacFarlane.

Tomaschek.

If you want to discuss with me in full why they were better, let me know.

Here's 3 players that - as much it will pain some of you - were better in that position than Brellier:

Gronlund.

MacFarlane.

Tomaschek.

Strangly I described DM as "the Tommi Gronlund role" the other day to a guy at my work.

:laugh:

Winston Ingram

He was the only player in the dying stages of the '98 final who knew exactly what he was doing.. if you watch it, he doesnt give a single pass away.

Was always convinced the Brellier adulation arose as a pop at Romanov rather than people making a straight decision on how good he was as a player.

Yes, Salvatori for me too, excellent player, shame he fell out with Jim Jeffries, JJ shouldn't have blamed one player for a couple of bad results, one at Dens Park i think? Might've been the one and only game Mo Berthe played for us.

Salvatori was ten times the player Brellier was!

Not saying Brellier was not good but Stefano was something a bit special.

Strangly I described DM as "the Tommi Gronlund role" the other day to a guy at my work.

:laugh:

And what is strange about that, sir?

One of the finest exponents of that position in the history of the SPL sir.

;)

nae contest. Salvatori. Class act.

Salvatori was a real nice bloke away from the pitch too, he treated me and a few of my colleagues to time off work to watch a premiership game on tv with him(he also bought the beers). LEGEND

Malcolm Tucker

Gronlund.

MacFarlane.

Tomaschek.

Gronlund was the man. Still remember his 20 yard 'thunderbolt' bobbling into the net for his 1st (only?) goal for us. Great times.

MacFarlane and Tomaschek were awesome as well, such a bloody shame Tomaschek got that injury.

Brellier has to get credit for mauling Scott Brown though.

Gronlund was the man. Still remember his 20 yard 'thunderbolt' bobbling into the net for his 1st (only?) goal for us. Great times.

Scored twice, but that was the one against Killie.

Twas the beat that my heart skipped.

Malcolm Tucker
Scored twice, but that was the one against Killie.

Twas the beat that my heart skipped.

For some reason I thought that goal was against Aberdeen?

Ah well, he spelled his name cool as well. 'Tommi'.

Legend.

He was one of the most under-rated players to ever play for us, a real class act. The trio of midfielders in 1998 of him, Fulton and Cameron had everything you could ever want from a midfield.

Brellier had heart but he was very poor in possession. He knew his stuff though and covered for the FBs when they were up the pitch. However, he was also prone to some very rash tackles.

Salvatori was simply class.

Yes, Salvatori for me too, excellent player, shame he fell out with Jim Jeffries, JJ shouldn't have blamed one player for a couple of bad results, one at Dens Park i think? Might've been the one and only game Mo Berthe played for us.

JJ for some reason blamed Gonzo with the League cup defeat at fester road against St. Johnstone.

Gonzo simply went about his business in a quiet unasuming way and was a truly great player for us.

Will buck the trend and say Brellier.

Salvatori was a really good player for us, but had players with the workrate of Fulton and Cameron helping him out.

Brellier (and the Levein defence) were the rock which meant that the likes of Hartley and Skacel didn't have to do any defending. Brellier covered for them or the full backs when they went up the pitch and he had more physical strength than Salvatori.

We could seriously do with a couple of players of their type right now.

Salvatori .

Cant remeber Gonzo giving too many fouls away , maybe just because he was sly and slick about it unlike brellier who was quite obvious and got booked in every match .

And Gonzo played most his career in SerieA with AC and Atalanta , whereas Brellier was signed to Inter but never played , just loan deals to the likes of Venezia etc

Both were good players for us though - and would take either at their Hearts peak back in a heartbeat.

He was the only player in the dying stages of the '98 final who knew exactly what he was doing.. if you watch it, he doesnt give a single pass away.

Salvatori was brilliant that day, never gave Gattusso a look in. An unsung hero during his time with Hearts and as others have said, a country mile between him and Brellier.

Can't believe the question was even raised. Salvatore was class. Story was he fell out with Jefferies as JJ thought he was trying to pick/manage the team. Given that everything fell apart after he left maybe he should have been allowed to.

Brellier was average, if that.

Ha ha ha, I was at that one, but Salvatori didn't play, the DM that day was none other than Vincent Guerin, a great player in that position for us!!

IMO, Salvatori was one of the best players ever to play for Hearts. Maybe not one of Hearts best ever players, but in terms of the career he had he was definitely up there with the best to ever pull on the maroon.

I only remember him scoring one goal for us but it was a screamer, can't remember who against though. Possibly our best DM, better than Gronlund and Tomaschek, and million times better than Brellier and McFarlane.

Looks like just about everyone, including me goes for Salvatori. IMO had SS not lost form from about the Motherwell game in 98 we would have been league champions. Not saying by any strech of the imagination it was his fault we did not win the league, he was immmense that season, he just seemed to go a little off the boil, and he was key to our success that season. Fantastic player, could do with him now.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

I thought Brellier was great.

But Gonzo was one of the finest players I have ever saw in maroon.

I used to think that it was unbeliveable that this guy was playing for Hearts.

Completely unflustered and sheer class.

Up there with the best ever midfield Jambos for me.

Archived