Extraordinary Statement by Mike Ashley (NHC)

GlynnSnodin4-2

it still comes down to letting the manager manage, letting the manager have the final say on which players arrive or depart. To that point he underestimated Keegan and his principles.He underestimated the backlash and the severity of the fans reaction.

His words may strike a chord with some fans,but the feeling of betrayal runs deeper than words and i think the protests will continue.

He is more humble than the pieman ever was,i'll give him that.also bringing his kids 'fear' into it may also backfire!!

GlynnSnodin4-2

It does make you wonder though what else you want the guy to do. ?250 million of your own cash - most of which is going to pay off other peoples debts - and the guy is hounded out.

It does make you wonder though what else you want the guy to do. ?250 million of your own cash - most of which is going to pay off other peoples debts - and the guy is hounded out.

Took on a legend - and lost.

I mean, imagine if that were to happen at Hearts. A new owner comes in, signs players behind the back of our much-loved manager and club legend, then humiliates him by offering a lesser post before callously dispening with his services altogether.

We as a support would be incandescent with rage, surely. Hmm. Or maybe not. :o

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Took on a legend - and lost.

I mean, imagine if that were to happen at Hearts. A new owner comes in, signs players behind the back of our much-loved manager and club legend, then humiliates him by offering a lesser post before callously dispening with his services altogether.

We as a support would be incandescent with rage, surely. Hmm. Or maybe not. :o

;)

You have a point.

GlynnSnodin4-2

I think that's why I find this situation so interesting because there are so many parallels with HMFC.

Think the major difference is here though that I can't see a queue of middle eastern tycoons fighting it out for us. Oh and Vlad never listens to us anyway...

A Man who has supported his team since he was a boy, he has lived the dream of owning the club and been turned upon, by the people he tried to be respected by, the man stands in the terracing with his kids with hes teams colours on, what does that say about the man, i feel truly sorry for this guy who is NOW up to his neck in ****.

Can i ask the question if you won 50 million on the lottery would you buy HMFC Look at the **** that we all fly in Vlad's direction, and the PieMand direction would you take that on board even wallace mercer still gets **** from hobo **** and he is in the ground.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
A Man who has supported his team since he was a boy, he has lived the dream of owning the club and been turned upon, by the people he tried to be respected by, the man stands in the terracing with his kids with hes teams colours on, what does that say about the man, i feel truly sorry for this guy who is NOW up to his neck in ****.

Can i ask the question if you won 50 million on the lottery would you buy HMFC Look at the **** that we all fly in Vlad's direction, and the PieMand direction would you take that on board even wallace mercer still gets **** from hobo **** and he is in the ground.

The guy is a tit.

Sitting downing pints at the games with 'King Kev' on his back and them gets rid of him a few days later.

Reminds me of Romanov when he went on a supporters bus to Livi. Sickening.

He is now paying the price for being a lying fat barstard and treating the fans like sh*t.

Have no time whatsoever for these tosspot owners. Romanov included.

Well played the Newcastle fans for doing something about it. We should be ashamed.

Father Tiresias
They think they are something special but the deserve to go under.

Nonsense!!!

They are football fans who are passionate about their team and absolutely crave success. No different to us really. :eek:

The guy is a tit.

Sitting downing pints at the games with 'King Kev' on his back and them gets rid of him a few days later.

Reminds me of Romanov when he went on a supporters bus to Livi. Sickening.

He is now paying the price for being a lying fat barstard and treating the fans like sh*t.

Have no time whatsoever for these tosspot owners. Romanov included.

Well played the Newcastle fans for doing something about it. We should be ashamed.

I agree. They've basically run this imposter out of town - good on them.

We on the other hand bend over and drop our trousers.

Some points may well be true BUT if statement is to be believed he paid off debts of over ?80 million plus put some cash in towards players fund/expenses however you name it --

What is wrong sometimes is fans expectations -- they do not want to have the club run as a business -- they want someone to come along and put their own money in and run club at a loss.

Only a few clubs could sustain big money buys and wages and those are playing in the Champions league every year plus have a huge supporter base worldwide.

In the real world most clubs are subsidised whether it be by a millionaire or a billionaire -- it is just a matter of by how much.

Clubs should be run more on business lines and we would not have the problems not only at our but at many other clubs from Stranraer to Bournemouth.

No doubt though we will have those on who somehow believe that it is someone else's responsibility to subsidise their club

The Real Maroonblood
They think they are something special but the deserve to go under.

What a slavering erse you are.

At least they have the balls to protest.

The Real Maroonblood
I agree. They've basically run this imposter out of town - good on them.

We on the other hand bend over and drop our trousers.

Exactly.

Some points may well be true BUT if statement is to be believed he paid off debts of over ?80 million plus put some cash in towards players fund/expenses however you name it --

What is wrong sometimes is fans expectations -- they do not want to have the club run as a business -- they want someone to come along and put their own money in and run club at a loss.

Only a few clubs could sustain big money buys and wages and those are playing in the Champions league every year plus have a huge supporter base worldwide.

In the real world most clubs are subsidised whether it be by a millionaire or a billionaire -- it is just a matter of by how much.

Clubs should be run more on business lines and we would not have the problems not only at our but at many other clubs from Stranraer to Bournemouth.

No doubt though we will have those on who somehow believe that it is someone else's responsibility to subsidise their club

Arsene Wenger said during the week if you had twenty trillionaires or multi-billionaire's running / subsidising all twenty English Premier League clubs then no matter what money was spent and superstar players bought only ONE team could win the title and THREE teams would be relegated each season.

Football has gone mad - it survived for over a century with most clubs being run on a sustainable basis and having to live approximately within their means as money / credit was not as readily available - now teams just want a sugar-daddy to blow as much money as they are willing too on a speculate to accumulate bubble and then they want someone else to takeover and continue the over-spending madness............fans don't support a balance sheet and just want a striker or fullback etc. but realism has gone out the window it seems at many clubs.

French, German, Dutch & Belgian clubs have to operate within much stricter financial controls regards debt levels and wages/turnover ratios which whilst trying to ensure a more sensible & sustainable future for those clubs it also puts them at a massive financial disadvantage compared to UK clubs who operate with much higher debt and wages ratio's despite also having much greater financial incomes - our football is richer than ever in terms of income but poorer than ever in terms of the financial ill-health of many/most of our clubs.

GlynnSnodin4-2

CJGJ - Agree with what you are saying - the trouble is that in reality for every Chelsea and Man City there is a Leeds Utd/Gretna Football is completely dependent on benefactors and god help us if the TV money ever dries up... Mike Ashley was prepared to effectively throw ?20 million a year at Newcastle for no return - what more do people want?

Football has gone crazy.

All these multi billionare owners are harming the game rather than helping it,they are the reason we have so many pre maddona footballers these days.

Because of them greeting faced little sh*tes like Robinho are getting payed 5 million pounds a year.

To me that is an absolute disgrace.

Also the Ashley article is very interesting and i actually feel sorry for him,he was never going to win against Keegan.

crazy_jambo_2006

No sympathy for Ashley. He totally underestimated the hero status Keegan has. He also underestimated the passion+commitment of the fans. Owner wears a Keegan shirt, 5 days later Keegan leaves due to owner. Makes me think owner is a moron. You don't take on club legends +expect to be popular afterwards. Romanov has treated too many legends badly. Credit to Newcastle fans for standing up to Ashley. Wish Hearts fans did the same.

i actually feel sorry for him,he was never going to win against Keegan.

If past reports are correct then Ashley is being less than disingenuous : by all accounts the club has been touted all over the place for months.

In fact , there is a report in one of the weekend papers in which the prospective buyer walked out because they did not agree with the way business had been conducted and after Keegan walked out there was no way that any meaningful discussions could be maintained.

In addition , it has been widely reported that Ashley wanted ?400 million for NUFC , a figure that discouraged any realistic offers for the club (the Arabs bought Man City for around a third of that figure). If Ashley is trying to win the fans round by his threats to sell , I find it hilarious.

Newcastle's hero worship of Keegan has been laughable.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the situation, but their fans are deluded.

I'm no fan of Ashley nor enemy of KK but when KK walked NUFC issued a terse statement of bullet points rebutting just about everything KK claimed had happened at the club.

Ashley is refusing any pay off - KK wants ?2 million apparently. Next thing Ashley is in discussions with KKs lawyers , allegedly , about him coming back :eek:

Makes HMFC look like a paragon of virtue right now.

Totally disagree.

I've been fortunate enough to have attended St James's Park quite a number of times and the Newcastle support are amongst the most loyal and fervent you will find anywhere. Up until 16th May 1998 (when ironically Newcastle were losing at Wembley) when we eventually ended years of heartbreak and disappointment the parallels between the clubs were unquestionable after years of mismanagment and underachievement. Fortunately for us we have had two 'days in the sun' whilst Newcastle have suffered more misery yet still 50,000 have turned up most weeks. Keegan, like Shearer is worshipped on Tyneside because he gives the fans hope when there is little to cling onto. He is a passionate football man like them. They have been left behind by the 'big 4' and other much smaller clubs have received greater investment and made better progress. It is for those reasons that the Newcastle fans like us for so many years deserve so much better and I hope they get it.

Totally disagree.

I've been fortunate enough to have attended St James's Park quite a number of times and the Newcastle support are amongst the most loyal and fervent you will find anywhere. Up until 16th May 1998 (when ironically Newcastle were losing at Wembley) when we eventually ended years of heartbreak and disappointment the parallels between the clubs were unquestionable after years of mismanagment and underachievement. Fortunately for us we have had two 'days in the sun' whilst Newcastle have suffered more misery yet still 50,000 have turned up most weeks. Keegan, like Shearer is worshipped on Tyneside because he gives the fans hope when there is little to cling onto. He is a passionate football man like them. They have been left behind by the 'big 4' and other much smaller clubs have received greater investment and made better progress. It is for those reasons that the Newcastle fans like us for so many years deserve so much better and I hope they get it.

Name those clubs who are much smaller but have received more investment and made more progress -- think you will be toiling on that score.

Truth of matter is a number of managers and chairmen have made bad selling and purchasing at the club -- they have tried to feed the fans aspirations without taking a reality check re wages and fees paid.

The club was owing between ?80 and 110 million when Ashley came in -- hardly under investment by previous owners.

Fans don't like to hear it but sometimes they are to blame and sometimes it is the manager -- I mean who would buy Alan Smith for ?6 million ? and pay him top wages (I know it was not Keegan but it is an example).

Name those clubs who are much smaller but have received more investment and made more progress -- think you will be toiling on that score.

Your right, I agree entirely that they have wasted vast sums of money on players like Luque, Boumsong etc. I meant to say RECENT investment ie in the last season or two. Clubs like Spurs, Man City and Portsmouth have outspent them and as Ashley has explained this is because under his guidance the money simply isnt there to compete at the top end. To me Newcastle remain a very attractive proposition for the super rich foreign investors as the infrastructure is in place for them to be a massive club and unlike Man City they don't have the galling task of competing with a global branded neighbor. I hope there are better times round the corner for Newcastle United.

Your right, I agree entirely that they have wasted vast sums of money on players like Luque, Boumsong etc. I meant to say RECENT investment ie in the last season or two. Clubs like Spurs, Man City and Portsmouth have outspent them and as Ashley has explained this is because under his guidance the money simply isnt there to compete at the top end. To me Newcastle remain a very attractive proposition for the super rich foreign investors as the infrastructure is in place for them to be a massive club and unlike Man City they don't have the galling task of competing with a global branded neighbor. I hope there are better times round the corner for Newcastle United.

Sorry but simply not true -- Man City have only spent in last season and even then it was as much as Newcastle not more plus they are a big club, Spurs are every bit as big as Newcastle and are in London which inflates prices etc paid to attend matches so have funds and are backed by Enic -- as for Portsmouth well again if you check fees paid they have not spent much more and have began to cut back on purchases in Summer having to sell before buying.

Ashley has told Newcastle fans he would subsidise club to the tune of ?20 MILLION A YEAR -- HOW MUCH MORE DO YOU WANT.

I am not anti Newcastle but at times fans need a reality check -- what you are really saying is it's not fair someone else has more money than me -- it's not fair, its not fair, its not fair !!!!!!

Welcome to the real world.

Not that their big spending makes any sense financially but Spurs are a London club and Portsmouth are closer to London / the Continent than Newcastle and thus find it easier to attract some of the better class of foreign players compared to Newcastle who have to pay through the nose to get players to live & work at their club and mostly have got nothing but very poor value for money / wage-thiefs.

Man City will encounter a lot similar problems to Newcastle although their new owners might just spend even more money / whatever it takes to overcome that which just makes clubs like Newcastle's prospects even more difficult assuming they want rid of Ashley and want a new owner who will try to buy them success with more big spending.

Of course there is still then Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United & Chelsea to contend with.

I actually think Aston Villa have the most coherent strategy to try to challenge to top four clubs and are not simply reliant on huge spending on big-name 'trophy' signings.

Sorry but simply not true -- Man City have only spent in last season and even then it was as much as Newcastle not more plus they are a big club, Spurs are every bit as big as Newcastle and are in London which inflates prices etc paid to attend matches so have funds and are backed by Enic -- as for Portsmouth well again if you check fees paid they have not spent much more and have began to cut back on purchases in Summer having to sell before buying.

Ashley has told Newcastle fans he would subsidise club to the tune of ?20 MILLION A YEAR -- HOW MUCH MORE DO YOU WANT.

I am not anti Newcastle but at times fans need a reality check -- what you are really saying is it's not fair someone else has more money than me -- it's not fair, its not fair, its not fair !!!!!!

Welcome to the real world.

Hmmm, i don't think I'm saying that at all but nevermind I'm not going to argue about something I'm not going to leave any sleep over.

However, one point : 20 million is relative sweeties in the EPL nowadays and certainly for a club like Newcastle who require major surgery not nearly enough to turn things around. Considering the money they receive from television (which I believe maybe around twice that figure) and the fact they sold Milner for 11 million (or thereabouts) their net spend this summer has been somewhat surprising and has led eventually to the statement today (all too late as usual from the owner, ring any bells ?!).

Anyway chill, my main point is that I hope that the Newcastle fans get a bit more to shout about as I recognise their frustration and anger only to well.

I actually think Aston Villa have the most coherent strategy to try to challenge to top four clubs and are not simply reliant on huge spending on big-name 'trophy' signings.

Yep, Lerner to me has been the most impressive foreign investor into the EPL. He seems to be embracing the culture of British football and allowing the unquestionable talents of O'neill to get on with his highly paid job and build a side. It would be beneficial if other egotistical owners took a step back and allowed managers to do that eh (waits for the backtracking) ?

What I dont understand is how the Geordies have managed to be largely united and apparently effective (to some extent in protesting at least) in less extreme circumstances than we have had to put up with.

Only two points - maybe valid or maybe not!

Newcastle had the highest attendance in the whole of the UK yesterday - they have problems - but they clearly have the support!

I genuinely believe that the problems lie not necessarily with the owners but with the hierarchy that are being brought in to undermine managers, ie Denis Wise and any other Director of Football. Managers should be allowed to manage and that means manage who he hires and fires. Hearts included

Yep, Lerner to me has been the most impressive foreign investor into the EPL. He seems to be embracing the culture of British football and allowing the unquestionable talents of O'neill to get on with his highly paid job and build a side. It would be beneficial if other egotistical owners took a step back and allowed managers to do that eh ?

Aston Villa already had some of the best young emerging British talents and whilst most of the others have concentrated on spending vast sums of money in the transfer market on mostly foreign players or the biggest name players - Villa have sought to buy some of the best emerging English or UK talent who aren't star players yet but have the potential to become star players to compete with the top clubs....sure Villa have still spent a decent amount of money but it is less by comparison and less per player than other teams.

Man City also have some really good emerging talents and a good academy system but it would be a terrible shame if these kids get discarded for the new owners vanity signings and bringing in a raft of players like Robinho etc. trying to simply buy the title like Chelsea did......not that City fans would care as long as they won Silverware but it wouldn't be good for football in my opinion.

What I dont understand is how the Geordies have managed to be largely united and apparently effective (to some extent in protesting at least) in less extreme circumstances than we have had to put up with.

I think it's to do with weight of numbers. A successful Newcastle side could attract 60-70K no problem, they are a massive club. The fans know that whilst things are gloomy just now there are loads of interested parties out there and they can protest with the knowledge that in reality the club is in no danger and that they have nothing to lose in a playing sense currently. At Hearts the fans have been to scared / apathetic to do anything as there is every chance nobody is out there to save us from Romanov. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place and there is nothing obvious we can do about it. Diplomatic approaches have not worked so we grin and bare it in the hope that he will one day look to sell us to someone a bit more interested in seeing us successful in a footballing sense. That's my take anyway !

I think it's to do with weight of numbers. A successful Newcastle side could attract 60-70K no problem, they are a massive club. The fans know that whilst things are gloomy just now there are loads of interested parties out there and they can protest with the knowledge that in reality the club is in no danger and that they have nothing to lose in a playing sense currently. At Hearts the fans have been to scared / apathetic to do anything as there is every chance nobody is out there to save us from Romanov. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place and there is nothing obvious we can do about it. Diplomatic approaches have not worked so we grin and bare it in the hope that he will one day look to sell us to someone a bit more interested in seeing us successful in a footballing sense. That's my take anyway !

Sure, but either the way a club is run is right or wrong?

What you do about it if it is wrong is the next question - arguing the opposite side of the coin by pretending the club is being run properly just to avoid the next difficult question is even more futile than admitting there are problems and looking to see if anything can be done

Reality is when we started protesting about the Pieman there was no other show in town...

Aston Villa already had some of the best young emerging British talents and whilst most of the others have concentrated on spending vast sums of money in the transfer market on mostly foreign players or the biggest name players - Villa have sought to buy some of the best emerging English or UK talent who aren't star players yet but have the potential to become star players to compete with the top clubs....sure Villa have still spent a decent amount of money but it is less by comparison and less per player than other teams.

I'm glad you agree that the basis to build a team and squad is to allow an excellent manager to hand pick targets who improve them year on year with the financial support of an intelligent owner who is a football fan but not a football expert. Vlad please take note as your model stinks.

Pieman was threatening the clubs existance & heritage and people protested about that - not over whether the team or club was badly run - we've mostly always been badly run on those issues....however the protests against pieman were futile and unsuccessful.

Reality is when we started protesting about the Pieman there was no other show in town...

I think there was a real fear Hearts could be defunkt pretty quickly if we went down Pieman's route of Muddyfield etc so action was taken as it was a last desperate resort.

Whilst I don't agree with or like the way Romanov is running us I'm not sure there is a groundswell of opinion that he is going to finish us off at least in the forseeable future.

I think in that event then of course we would see the 'troops' pulling together once again but until that happens I think most will just put up with mediocrity and hope that something better will come along whilst others will actually enjoy the madness of it all in the hope that eventually one of the umpteen timescales or changes of direction or lowering of ambitions actually comes to fruition.

I'm glad you agree that the basis to build a team and squad is to allow an excellent manager to hand pick targets who improve them year on year with the financial support of an intelligent owner who is a football fan but not a football expert. Vlad please take note as your model stinks.

Arsenal, Aston Villa and latterly Newcastle (as per Ashley's intentions) have the most sensible recruitment policies of the bigger clubs in the English Premier League - there is very little that is admirable about what Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City or Spurs have done as all they have done in my opinion is flash their cash and plunder the continent and less wealthy teams.

I'm not saying other EPL teams outwith the big clubs don't have sensible recruitment strategies however I don't know enough about the detail of what & who they've spent on but the biggest clubs that just try to buy or maintain success by spending more than anyone else simply because they have more money than anyone else aren't really doing anything positive in my opinion.

Arsenal, Aston Villa and latterly Newcastle (as per Ashley's intentions) have the most sensible recruitment policies of the bigger clubs in the English Premier League - there is very little that is admirable about what Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City or Spurs have done as all they have done in my opinion is flash their cash and plunder the continent and less wealthy teams.

I'm not saying other EPL teams outwith the big clubs don't have sensible recruitment strategies however I don't know enough about the detail of what & who they've spent on but the biggest clubs that just try to buy or maintain success by spending more than anyone else simply because they have more money than anyone else aren't really doing anything positive in my opinion.

Hehe I notice you are avoiding my point !

You are actually praising A.Villa and Arsenal who are perhaps the best examples of clubs with managers who have total autonomy over player purchases in the EPL, maybe even the UK ! The irony is wonderful given you have defended the policy at Heart of Midlothian which has of course been the complete polar opposite of that for nearly 3 years now. I want this momentous moment made a sticky !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe I notice you are avoiding my point !

You are actually praising A.Villa and Arsenal who are perhaps the best examples of clubs with managers who have total autonomy over player purchases in the EPL, maybe even the UK ! The irony is wonderful given you have defended the policy at Heart of Midlothian which has of course been the complete polar opposite of that for nearly 3 years now.

Arsenal & Villa actually pay attention to the clubs youth policy as well as seeking value for money in the transfer market that they seek out and improve emerging talent without spending (completely) insane amounts of money players (in the context of EPL transfer fees) and they don't simply pay vastly inflated sums for ready-made star players like Man Utd & Chelsea & others do.....of course Wenger & O'Neill are top quality managers who improve their teams & players however it is the club strategy & policy in the transfer market that is admirable compared to the other clubs.

Most people bemoan Romanov's perceived lack of investment in the transfer market or the lack of 'quality' signings but I think Hearts strategy in the transfer market has also been the correct one since we stopped trying to sign players we can't and couldn't afford - Skacel etc. gave us great memories but they set us down the wrong path financially and although we made profits on the sale of Skacel, Bednar and (hopefully) Goncalves etc. the wages we had to pay these people was just madness for a club of our size.

Developing our own players, getting some of Kaunas better players and others on the cheap like Michael Stewart and hopefully the players we signed in the most recent transfer window that were bosmans or loans make much more sense than many of the 2005-2006 signings on wages & transfer fees that we could never afford - Romanov let Burley overspend and then continued it himself for far too long before making necessary corrections and selling off players & shedding others to balance the books.

Anyway back on topic - I don't see how Ashley selling Newcastle will be of any immediate benefit to them if the new owners simply want to come in and throw a shed load of money at them - they would already be competing with Abu Dhabi and Abramovich and Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs & Arsenal are hardly paupers either.

Geoff Kilpatrick

If Ashley did sell to a ***e shiekh, for example, I'm willing to bet those cringeworthy Geordies will forget their "Messiah" shouts if the guy comes in and flashes the cash.

I'd love to see Newcastle dragged into a relegation scrap this season.

What I don't understand is the hostility towards Wise & Jiminez who as far as I can see have only done the job that Ashley employed them to do which was to scout players and participate in developing the clubs transfer policy.......the Geordies can criticise the structure and perhaps the transfer policy and the way it was implemented or communicated by why the 'cockney mafia' out nonsense?

For a man that has supported the magpies for so long you really would think that he would have a pretty good grip of the situation.

It strikes me that he obviously doesn't have a clue how to treat the club or it's supporters.

To answer your question

Not on your life would I buy HMFC. ?50,000,000 is no where near enough money and I like the easy life. I would however travel the world to football matches in the search for the perfect game. I would still of course come back to Edinburgh whenever we play the wee team.

Archived