Why do certain posters get so worked up about the SNP?

Acey

You'd think that there were only two options on the ballot paper: "SNP" and "Anyone but the SNP".

:rolleyes:

I think it saves some of them from having to discuss it over the dinner table with mummy and daddy.

Guest S.U.S.S.

Possibly because Fat Al and his stormtroopers have so far delivered very little of what they promised, but thats ok, because they didnt say when they would deliver.

It could be asked why some poster blindly copy and paste from the SNP site and NEVER accept criticism of the SNP even when justified.

J.T.F.Robertson
In all seriousness, I can't ever recall KB being so full of, "Look at what [ruling party] have done now" threads. Relentless stuff!

ah think it's jist cause wir becomin mair an mair soafistikaitid in awear. :dunce:

The Mighty Thor
You'd think that there were only two options on the ballot paper: "SNP" and "Anyone but the SNP".

It's all good. They're forming their own political party and will hound Ahlex Sahlmond and his crohnies right out of office for not delivering what was promised. Apparently the SNP are the first political party to not deliver in their promises ever. fact.

It's all Mel Gibson's fault.... i think.

Something to do with Freeeeedddooooommmm.

But freedom's a bad thing because we're all part of the British bulldog spirit or something.... i think.

Being a Scottish Nationalist means you're a fascist and a bigot but being a British Nationalist means you're not... i think.

In all seriousness, I can't ever recall KB being so full of, "Look at what [ruling party] have done now" threads. Relentless stuff!

thank God there are so many Elvis is a legend/ersehole threads for when we get bored of all this SNP chat!

It's all Mel Gibson's fault.... i think.

Something to do with Freeeeedddooooommmm.

But freedom's a bad thing because we're all part of the British bulldog spirit or something.... i think.

Being a Scottish Nationalist means you're a fascist and a bigot but being a British Nationalist means you're not... i think.

Hey, we're all Europeans! ;)

It's all good. They're forming their own political party and will hound Ahlex Sahlmond and his crohnies right out of office for not delivering what was promised. Apparently the SNP are the first political party to not deliver in their promises ever. fact.

I know, how dare folk try and stand up for them. God knows Labour delivered everything they promised as has every politician ever!! oh wait, I meant to say NO POLITICIAN EVER!!

Its nice to see that the SNP haven't copied the tricks of B Lair and blamed the previous lot even though it was years since they had been in power. *****.

gordon the jambo

Thank God the SNP have opened our shackles of the corrupt Westminster parties especially the labour party **** that they are ALEX SALMOND FOR PRESIDENT:p

Miller Jambo 60
Being a unionist is OK in my book....

As long as you're a European Unionist!!

:wink:

SNP rule mate BAA .

If the tories get in watch for civil war.

I get worked up about them because in my book they are a dangerously divisive party, who want to destroy my way of life, and make me live in a country that is not the one I was born in!

They are trying to weasel their way into the affections of the Scottish public, it's their right to do so, but it's also my right to remind people at every opportunity of their damaging agenda at the heart of all their populist policies

There are lot's of threads on here about hibs, because we like to laugh at them and pick holes in what they do aswell

I get worked up about them because in my book they are a dangerously divisive party, who want to destroy my way of life, and make me live in a country that is not the one I was born in!

They are trying to weasel their way into the affections of the Scottish public, it's their right to do so, but it's also my right to remind people at every opportunity of their damaging agenda at the heart of all their populist policies

There are lot's of threads on here about hibs, because we like to laugh at them and pick holes in what they do aswell

Oh, the irony. :P

The trouble is that in this interim phase of post-devolution and pre-independent Scotland, the SNP are winning support because they are the focus for both anti-Gordon Brown sentiment, they are running a generally more successful Scottish Government than the Labour party, and because they offer the route to Scottish independence. Lots of different reasons why they are winning support.

It is possible that Scotland could offer a libertarian small Government paradise after independence. The SNP don't offer that but do offer the chance of that.

The Conservatives up here have it all wrong. They should be trying to build pockets of support - such as in Edinburgh. Miss so many open goals up here such as by supporting all the big Government, tax and waste projects such as the tram line and by supporting congestion creation.

thank God there are so many Elvis is a legend/ersehole threads for when we get bored of all this SNP chat!

I am a Legend, says so in my name!

Possibly because Fat Al and his stormtroopers have so far delivered very little of what they promised, but thats ok, because they didnt say when they would deliver.

It could be asked why some poster blindly copy and paste from the SNP site and NEVER accept criticism of the SNP even when justified.

There's a lot to criticise about the SNP however third reich, fat al and stormtrooper name-calling; miss the mark completely

Guest S.U.S.S.
There's a lot to criticise about the SNP however third reich, fat al and stormtrooper name-calling; miss the mark completely

Your right, how dare i use a little poetic licence when talking about Large Alex and his minions.

Whatever i call them, the fact is they are not delivering election promises, their supporters seem to think this is ok as no actual timescale was given.

You wouldnt accept IKEA taking your cash promising delivery of your goods only to fail to deliver it but tell you not to worry, you'll get your stuff in the end.

Acey I have been thinking about this recently.

Why is there such hatred and general knitpicking of salmond and his cronies.

I never voted SNP I wont be soon either, I still see them as scottish tories.

I still believe labour to be the party of scotland.

But this whole witchhunt I just dont get.

I think maybe people are worried that independence does come and the outdated institution that is the united kingdom will crumble.

Your right, how dare i use a little poetic licence when talking about Large Alex and his minions.

Whatever i call them, the fact is they are not delivering election promises, their supporters seem to think this is ok as no actual timescale was given.

You wouldnt accept IKEA taking your cash promising delivery of your goods only to fail to deliver it but tell you not to worry, you'll get your stuff in the end.

Ikea would probably give you a timescale though...

As they've only been in minority power for a year i think it's best to reflect on the success or otherwise of an administration at the end of its elected tenure, rather than getting all Leeds United a quarter of the way into it.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Ikea would probably give you a timescale though...

As they've only been in minority power for a year i think it's best to reflect on the success or otherwise of an administration at the end of its elected tenure, rather than getting all Leeds United a quarter of the way into it.

Thats my point tho, if they say they are going to do someething they SHOULD be telling us by when they expect to be able to achieve it.

Professor.Arturo

The answer to that is very simple, the 'unionists' (outspoken ones I mean) know independence is coming sooner rather than later....something they will never admit of course.

Secondly, That Alex Salmond is doing a good job...something else they will never admit.

Just like their Westminster heroes, they will argue black is white, does not matter if they lie as long as they tow the unionist line.

Thats my point tho, if they say they are going to do someething they SHOULD be telling us by when they expect to be able to achieve it.

I refer you to my point about elected tenure.

The next Holyrood elections are when all parties will have to justify their existences and records.

I voted SNP because i decided that they would do more for Scotland than Labour has.

I would vote against Independence. Where does that put me?

Miller Jambo 60
I voted SNP because i decided that they would do more for Scotland than Labour has.

I would vote against Independence. Where does that put me?

TBH In a padded cell.

What a waste of a vote.

Its like having sex and getting off at Haymarket.

Go the full way.

And yet so few of them have any alternatives to suggest. Interesting.

It's almost as if they're just opening their mouths and letting their bellies rumble because they think it's what they should say, rather than something they fully understand.

TBH In a padded cell.

What a waste of a vote.

Its like having sex and getting off at Haymarket.

Go the full way.

I cant be sure that independence is best for Scotland long term.

I will vote for what is best for Scotland. I wont be a slave to naive nationalistic tendencies.

I found this little quote on the internet recently when doing some research for my studies.

"Patriotism assumes that our globe is divided into little spots, each one surrounded by an iron gate. Those who have had the fortune of being born on some particular spot, consider themselves better, nobler, grander, more intelligent than the living beings inhabiting any other spot. It is, therefore, the duty of everyone living on that chosen spot to fight, kill, and die in the attempt to impose his superiority upon all the others."

I am still a proud Scotsman at times but at other times a troubled Scotsman when you look at some of the sh*t hitting the fan in our society.

The End.

There a lot of Unionists on this site and they are running scared and they know it! Every few days theres an anti SNP thread - It's getting desperate!

You can smell the fear!

369735707_910d9af5e8.jpg?v=0

saltire.jpg

Roll on the referendum!

The Mighty Thor

Afternoon! :)

Any chance you'd care to share your political leanings and we can review the tenures of said party over their period in office. If you are a Scottish Conservative and Unionist follower i may have to consult Doris Stokes as there a few alive with a memory that long.

Miller Jambo 60

I will vote for what is best for Scotland. I wont be a slave to naive nationalistic tendencies.

I found this little quote on the internet recently when doing some research for my studies.

"Patriotism assumes that our globe is divided into little spots, each one surrounded by an iron gate. Those who have had the fortune of being born on some particular spot, consider themselves better, nobler, grander, more intelligent than the living beings inhabiting any other spot. It is, therefore, the duty of everyone living on that chosen spot to fight, kill, and die in the attempt to impose his superiority upon all the others."

I am still a proud Scotsman at times but at other times a troubled Scotsman when you look at some of the sh*t hitting the fan in our society.

The End.

Mate was never a BRAVEHEART until that labour thug ANDY KERR shut my work down.

Labour sucks and the only way forward is SNP.

The End.

Very good post and a feeling that resonates with a lot of people I would imagine.

The Mighty Thor

Interesting points.

Firstly in my lifetime there has not a been a party more divisive than the conservative party. I personally think they picked and picked at the social fabric of the UK until it was beyond repair. the legacy of many of la Thatchers policies are still being felt.

Damaging agenda? As above.

Furthermore the complete absence of any substance from smug Dave should leave Scottish voters of any alliegance worried. I suspect that once he gets in (he's a shoe in due to the incompetence and corruptness of the current mob) he will systematically set about devolving Scotland completely in fiscal and political terms.

The SNP won't have to push for independence the Conservatives will do it from London for them.

The SNP won't have to push for independence the Conservatives will do it from London for them.

Obviously getting the best deal for the rump of the Union though!

I agree with the rest of your post about the divisivness of the Thatcherite period. New Labour gave us all some hope but then it became apparent it was the Emperor's New Clothes (The Third Way - remember that?) and was too scared to be radical in fear of alienating their new ex-Tory chums. As such there is a sort of political vacuum in this country as the two main parties try to be like each other even more while the Lib Dems seem to have regressed due to a lack of dynamic (if it ever was) leadership.

Echoing Scott-Jambo's previous post, I too am happy that the SNP are in power at Holyrood as they are the current natural opposition to the right of centre New Labour party.

Doesn't mean I want independence though. I am a firm believer that devolution can actually strengthen the Union for ALL its constituent members, not just Scotland.

Politicians in England nned to realise that within that partner there are massive regional differences that are perhaps best governed at a micro level.

Tories, being "libertarians" will copmplain about an excessive strata of govt but it isn't really as you trim down Westminster and the UK govt appropriately.

I'm quite happy to accept that we have not fulfilled all our manifesto commitments. What people have to remember though, is that our manifesto was a 4 year manifesto and one that we are not even 18 months into.

We, as a minority Government have to seek consensus from across the chamber and have to reach out to other party's. We have done this on a number of issues and will continue to do so.

In the short time we have been in office we have:

Made Higher Education Free

Reduced Prescription charges, which will be abolished in 2011.

Frozen the Council Tax

Abolished Bridge Tolls

Cut Business Rates

Give the Go-ahead for extension to the M74 with ?445 million investment

Cut ferry fairs

Biggest wave energy project in the world given the go ahead

Reversed previous decision to close A&E Departments

Hospital car parking charges abolished

and loads more.

What did Labour do in 8 years they were in power?

The Smoking ban (which was intiated by Stewart Maxwell SNP MSP).

The Mighty Thor
Obviously getting the best deal for the rump of the Union though!

I agree with the rest of your post about the divisivness of the Thatcherite period. New Labour gave us all some hope but then it became apparent it was the Emperor's New Clothes (The Third Way - remember that?) and was too scared to be radical in fear of alienating their new ex-Tory chums. As such there is a sort of political vacuum in this country as the two main parties try to be like each other even more while the Lib Dems seem to have regressed due to a lack of dynamic (if it ever was) leadership.

Echoing Scott-Jambo's previous post, I too am happy that the SNP are in power at Holyrood as they are the current natural opposition to the right of centre New Labour party.

Doesn't mean I want independence though. I am a firm believer that devolution can actually strengthen the Union for ALL its constituent members, not just Scotland.

Politicians in England nned to realise that within that partner there are massive regional differences that are perhaps best governed at a micro level.

Tories, being "libertarians" will copmplain about an excessive strata of govt but it isn't really as you trim down Westminster and the UK govt appropriately.

An excellent point. One that's missed by a large number of unionists. The UK is in reality far more fragmented than just England Sctoland Wales and NI. Larger counties have long been campaigning for self determination and i think this is the nub of the irrational fear of most unionists. it's the loss of control. The sun set on the empire in the early part of the last century and since then the UK has punched above it's weight on the global stage due to its reputation.

I'm in no great rush for Independence. It will come in it's own sweet time when Scotland has the political will and the physical infrastructure in place to sustain it.

Still i'd be ****ting bricks if i was a unionist though :rolleyes:

There has never been any trimming in the size of the Government in the last 100 years of Big Government in the UK.

We bear the costs for 'representation' at:

Community Council

Local Council

Scottish Executive

UK Parliament

European institutions

Other supranational institutions - UN etc

And all the associated quangos, hangers on, 'executives' etc. Time to wipe out a vast number of them and let people make their own choices. The Wisdom of Crowds suggests that they in aggregate often make better decisions than bureaucrats anyway.

There has never been any trimming in the size of the Government in the last 100 years of Big Government in the UK.

We bear the costs for 'representation' at:

Community Council

Local Council

Scottish Executive

UK Parliament

European institutions

Other supranational institutions - UN etc

And all the associated quangos, hangers on, 'executives' etc. Time to wipe out a vast number of them and let people make their own choices. The Wisdom of Crowds suggests that they in aggregate often make better decisions than bureaucrats anyway.

Community Councils? A colleague of mine sits on one of these for his area and the budget is a whopping ?1200.

Wisdom of crowds? Is that the same as mob rule?

Unfortunately the SNP are in 'government' right now with the one intention.......................self destruction of our fine country

**** the SNP and **** the fat f***** fascist!

Community Councils? A colleague of mine sits on one of these for his area and the budget is a whopping ?1200.

Wisdom of crowds? Is that the same as mob rule?

Yes, the community council bit was a bit tongue in cheek.

But it is also a reference to what used to happen at local authority level. Local worthies made the decisions without the enormous cost or machinery of the current local government. Would far prefer that style than the current one.

The wisdom of crowds is fascinating stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds

Also interesting on similar subjects is Mark Buchanan's Social Atom.

http://thesocialatom.blogspot.com/

The Mighty Thor
Unfortunately the SNP are in 'government' right now with the one intention.......................self destruction of our fine country

Come on mate you're among friends......tell us how you really feel!

The Mighty Thor
The wisdom of crowds is fascinating stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds

Also interesting on similar subjects is Mark Buchanan's Social Atom.

http://thesocialatom.blogspot.com/

I've read about the wisdom of crowds before and there is more than a grain of truth about it all.

Look at how far removed from reality most politicians are and then ask yourself if they really best placed to make decisions that impact on the lives of most normal people.

Classic example yesterday. Gordon Brown announces his latest energy/fuel fudge (just windfall tax the greedy feckers and be done with it) by saying that no fuel poor families home will be without loft and wall insulation. Radio 5 interview a single dad in sheffield that lives in a flat of concrete construction he will benefit by precisely bugger all.

Good work i8. There was a danger of an intelligent debate breaking out there in the last few posts. You spotted it quickly and made sure you intervened just on time. :)

If you'd ordered a Billy Bookcase and a Patrik Swivel Chair turned up you'd be upset. Similarly, if your bookcase never turned up at all you'd be raging. The SNP are pretty much delivering what they said they would. Not quick enough for some perhaps - judge them in 2011.

Archived