suspected terrorists

crazy_jambo_2006

crazy_jambo_2006

re: treatment of terror suspects. Do you believe "extreme times need extreme measures"? Or are you against detention w/out charge, torture etc?

Saw a brief report on tv on treatment of terror suspects. 1 view was "extreme times need extreme measures". Other view was against torture, detention w/out charge. Where do you

Exactly the same excuses that the Nazi's used after the Reichstag fire.

If we lose our freedoms and the rule of law due to "terrorists threats" then the terrorists have won.

I'm not at all sure that we're not being sold a line here and being "cowed" into accepting restrictions on our everyday life by governments using terror as an excuse for curtailing our rights and our freedom of expression and movement.

re: treatment of terror suspects. Do you believe "extreme times need extreme measures"? Or are you against detention w/out charge, torture etc?

If you ignore your own basic principles because they don't suit you at a given time then you are no better than the terrorist you are trying to deal with. You are on a slippery slope.

I think that the best way to stop terrorism is to bomb civilians (especially at weddings, and the like) in Afghanistan and Iraq.

There have been some 600 arrests in the UK under anti-terrorism laws since the September 11 attacks.

Of those arrested, about 100 have been charged and a dozen convicted.

This was in 2004. Feck knows what that figure reads like now. So i'll stick with no, torture and "extreme measures" are not really just or in fact necessary.

Guest S.U.S.S.
I think that the best way to stop terrorism is to bomb civilians (especially at weddings, and the like) in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Sad as it is collateral damage will be sustained during a war.

Sad as it is collateral damage will be sustained during a war.

Yeah, I suppose you are right. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are doing so much good in the fight against terrorism, such collateral damage is acceptable, I guess.:rolleyes:

Guest S.U.S.S.
Yeah, I suppose you are right. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are doing so much good in the fight against terrorism, such collateral damage is acceptable, I guess.:rolleyes:

Do you actually have any idea what is going on over there?

Our troops are ****ing dying as well you know.

But hey thats ok.

Do you actually have any idea what is going on over there?

Our troops are ****ing dying as well you know.

But hey thats ok.

Nah, that is absolutely not OK. They are dying in wars that are doing nothing for our nation; this makes their deaths even more tragic.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Nah, that is absolutely not OK. They are dying in wars that are doing nothing for our nation; this makes their deaths even more tragic.

Any loss of life is tragic.

Miller Jambo 60

Tell that to my brother you mup

They are hated all over the world - ISLAM

They started it not us

They started it not us

Tell what to your brother?

Any loss of life is tragic.

Indeed it is. I would suggest some deaths are more tragic than others - eg those of innocent civilians and those involved in a conflict in which they had no choice but to become involved in.

My point is that these deaths breed terrorism.

They started it not us

If only it were all so simple, if only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being, and who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?

Alexander Solzhenitsyen

If only it were all so simple, if only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being, and who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?

It is simple. They are known as 'The SNP'.:)

I am 100% for concentration camps and am a huge backer of Guantanamo Bay!

Neuk the *****

I'm shocked. :cool_shades:

Sorry Dave but I pull no punches with terrorists.

99.9999999% of suspected terorists are found guilty of the crime in question or have previous terrorist convictions.

They don't just take random people of the streets and throw them in for questioning. They usually have a big rap

Neuk em all

Pardon me......but do you mean with this word Neuk

A quick Google comes up a definition of a scot word for Nook/Corner as in the East Neuk of Fife.

So if what you're saying put them in the corner (dunces hats are optional).

Or you might mean nuke as in explode a nuclear device in their vicinity, if that is what you meant why didn't you say so, all it take is a bit of care in the spelling department.

Pardon me......but do you mean with this word Neuk

A quick Google comes up a definition of a scot word for Nook/Corner as in the East Neuk of Fife.

So if what you're saying put them in the corner (dunces hats are optional).

Or you might mean nuke as in explode a nuclear device in their vicinity, if that is what you meant why didn't you say so, all it take is a bit of care in the spelling department.

Thanks JamboJay it is heartwarming to know that the spelling police are there when you need them most

Sheriff Fatman

99.9999999% of suspected terorists are found guilty of the crime in question or have previous terrorist convictions.

They don't just take random people of the streets and throw them in for questioning. They usually have a big rap

Neuk em all

Yeah, 600 arrests of suspected terrorists between 2001 and 2004 with 100 of those charged and 12 actually being convicted equals a 99.9999999% guilty rate right enough.

The 42 day detention guff is a political sham designed to please the knee jerk Daily Wail and Sun reader. The police didn't want it, the security services didn't want it, the prosecutors didn't want it. The only people who wanted it were polititians trying to bribe voters.

It will be interesting to see what historians make of the Blair/Brown period of infringement on civil liberties.

Outside of wartime (ie real wartime and not the current phoney war), has there ever in modern British history been such a period of curtailment of civil liberties? The general drift has been in the opposite direction for hundreds of years and has been reversed by Blair and Brown, just one of their many disgusting acts.

Neuk em all

So what are you basing your 99.999999% figure on? As other posters have said, if we lower standards of justice then we are letting the terrorists win imo.

Guest S.U.S.S.

To help out im happy to act as arbiter on who is and is not a terrorist, one look is all it takes.

Guilty / not Guilty

Very simple.

I?ll be good in this role as I?ve seen all series of 24.

Carry on.

To help out im happy to act as arbiter on who is and is not a terrorist, one look is all it takes.

Guilty / not Guilty

Very simple.

I?ll be good in this role as I?ve seen all series of 24.

Carry on.

I'd ban yourself from looking in any mirrors then, just in case...:rolleyes:

crazy_jambo_2006

Just noticed I hadn't given my opinion in my OP. I can't bring myself to be overly concerned about terrorists human rights. What about our human rights? I am dismissing terrorists human rights though. I wouldn't dismiss the human rights of decent civilians in Iraq.

Just noticed I hadn't given my opinion in my OP. I can't bring myself to be overly concerned about terrorists human rights. What about our human rights? I am dismissing terrorists human rights though. I wouldn't dismiss the human rights of decent civilians in Iraq.

As the basis of justice in this country is "innocent until proven guilty", one would only become a terrorist upon conviction.

On this basis, I am like you - a terrorist has, imho, very few human rights.

To deny individuals suspected of terrorist activities basic human rights is , imho, wrong.

It used to be those damn Commies that had us running for the duct tape and tinned food, now it's the damn Muslims. No wonder both Medvedev and Putin are a little bit peeved with us all. :(

RIP Communism :(

Archived