How easy is it to get a job in the USA?

Gershwin

Always fancied working in the States but don't have a clue about what you need to work there.

If I was to approach companies would they just overlook me because I'm from the UK and it would be a hassle?

scottish_chicP
Always fancied working in the States but don't have a clue about what you need to work there.

If I was to approach companies would they just overlook me because I'm from the UK and it would be a hassle?

There was something on GMTV this morning about relocating to California and they said on there was information on their website regarding applying for jobs in the USA.

http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=30651

It's a nightmare.

A guy that I work with has been trying for 3 years. He's now managed to get an unpaid internship starting in January. He's a really well qualified guy as well, not just an average white collar worker.

My mate got an amazing job over there as an actuary (Well he will be once he qualifies). That came after a summer internship.

He said so many people apply for working visa's that only 50% actually get one. So its pot luck. One boy who was doing the internship with him and who was also offered a job had to be relocated to the continent here as he failed with his visa application. He'll be moved around until hes finally successful.

So i don't think its easy to get over there long term, let alone find a job

Don't go I'll miss you!!

First you leave me at the football and now your moving to America, what did I do wrong? WHAT!!

;)

It's extremely difficult.

You pretty much have to work for a company with operations in the USA that transfers you over there.

They let (well maybe tolerate is a better word) vast numbers of uneducated Mexicans, South Americans and Asians in to do low end work but they make it difficult for educated / skilled Europeans to get decent jobs over there.

Canada, Australia and New Zealand are all easier if you are skilled.

You pretty much have to work for a company with operations in the USA that transfers you over there.

They let (well maybe tolerate is a better word) vast numbers of uneducated Mexicans, South Americans and Asians in to do low end work but they make it difficult for educated / skilled Europeans to get decent jobs over there.

They like to keep the riff-raff out ;):cool:

Don't go I'll miss you!!

First you leave me at the football and now your moving to America, what did I do wrong? WHAT!!

;)

It's your chat. I need to be as far away from it as possible.

Are you studying full time ? If so then you can do work America 3 or 4 times during the summer. At the end of your studies too. You can work in pretty much any job you want when you get there but it is only for 4-6 month stints. Unless they have changed it of course.

If you are not a student I think others have spelled out the difficulty !!

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workamerica/default.aspx

If you are under 30 then each of these countries is very easy to work in for a year each.

Contact each country's foreign consulate or go to their website. Each has a WHM visa that allows you to work in pretty much any job for a year. Once you get there if you get a decent job many employers will sponsor you to stay if you want and they want you.

Also NZ does one for people up to the age of 35 through Bunac as above. However you have to go through them and pay a fee blah blah.

The basic WHM visas as I desribed above are simple as. Apply on line. Send away your passport and payment, less than a hundred ?, and then you get the visa. It is valid for a year as well from when you get it. It is also valid for a year from when you actually arrive in the country. So you could get it now and not even head off until next August.

Sorted. :)

If you are under 30 then each of these countries is very easy to work in for a year each.

Contact each country's foreign consulate or go to their website. Each has a WHM visa that allows you to work in pretty much any job for a year. Once you get there if you get a decent job many employers will sponsor you to stay if you want and they want you.

Also NZ does one for people up to the age of 35 through Bunac as above. However you have to go through them and pay a fee blah blah.

The basic WHM visas as I desribed above are simple as. Apply on line. Send away your passport and payment, less than a hundred ?, and then you get the visa. It is valid for a year as well from when you get it. It is also valid for a year from when you actually arrive in the country. So you could get it now and not even head off until next August.

Sorted. :)

Wouldn't mind working in Canada but the other two have absolutely zero appeal for me. Australian guys do my ****in nut in. I like Aussie girls, they are well game, but the guys are so goddam annoying. New Zealand looks ok but there are a hundred places i'd rather go.

Miller Jambo 60
Wouldn't mind working in Canada but the other two have absolutely zero appeal for me. Australian guys do my ****in nut in. I like Aussie girls, they are well game, but the guys are so goddam annoying. New Zealand looks ok but there are a hundred places i'd rather go.

Me too .i am a flour miller to trade and SVQs in Chemistry and Pharmaceutical sciences.

My wife is a nurse so getting a job might be okay.

One prob NO TYNE.

STAYING

Me too .i am a flour miller to trade and SVQs in Chemistry and Pharmaceutical sciences.

My wife is a nurse so getting a job might be okay.

One prob NO TYNE.

STAYING

Newcastle isn't that great!

Archived