Murray Unionista press verdict.

mac

Were they sad that the brave Brit lost in the final, or happy that the Scot got trounced on the day?

When he played at Wombledon, he got a lot of backing from the crowd, and I'm sure the majority were locals.

jamboinglasgow

was amazed at some phone calls on 5live day after he beat nadel, people were still moaning about one comment he made two years ago.

I think that it may go deeper then "that comment" that some english people dont like him. I think to them Henman was the ideal british tennis player as he was a nicely spoken english man who people in the home counties of middle england could identfy with, Murry is hard to like at times but he was a typical teenager, also think his scottishness and the fact he is better than tiger tim gets at some english people. I remember a monty python sketch where it said the scots were the worst tennis players in the world. I dont know if that is a view back in the 70's but if true it could be why some english people are so irked by Andy.

The People's Chimp

He's hardly a radge scot though is he; he's from a nice background - he's scottish and plays tennis for christ's sake, he's hardly rab c's nephew....

think it all boils down to the fact we're all incredibly cynical nowadays and love to hate everyone. Just look at the shaun baloney thread in the terrace for an example....

The Unionistas go on about how great it is to be British, unless you're from Scotland, N. Ireland or Wales, and then you are reluctantly tolerated, never given whole-hearted support - the fact that Murray is now world #4, and there is no sign of a great British Englishman on the horizon I'm sure annoys them even further - for that perverse reason, I'd like to see him do well at Wombledon.

Womledon is full of people who actually love tennis and can appreciate and support a Brit - they gave him great encouragement last time, it's the level of Unionista propaganda that gets me, meaning if it's no' English, then it's not really British so therefore will not get our grudging support.:o

was amazed at some phone calls on 5live day after he beat nadel, people were still moaning about one comment he made two years ago.

I think that it may go deeper then "that comment" that some english people dont like him. I think to them Henman was the ideal british tennis player as he was a nicely spoken english man who people in the home counties of middle england could identfy with, Murry is hard to like at times but he was a typical teenager, also think his scottishness and the fact he is better than tiger tim gets at some english people. I remember a monty python sketch where it said the scots were the worst tennis players in the world. I dont know if that is a view back in the 70's but if true it could be why some english people are so irked by Andy.

I heard quite a bit of it as I was doing a lot of driving that day. To be fair , apart from 'Steve' , who sounded like he would have been more at home on Talkspurt, most guys were behind him. One was scathing of the criticism of Murray saying stuff like , 'who cares about the Davis cup ,we're crap anyway'.

Another guy was really funny in summing up Murray. He said 'I'm not taking him home to meet my daughter , who cares if he's not a likeable guy. He's British. Support him.'.

i've found that the press here are behind him. normally he's "british" (which he is!) but they're not usually shy to call him scottish either. he seems to be british whether he takes a hiding or not

Archived