Edinburgh Hotel space - kinda Hearts related

PTBCAL

J.T.F.Robertson
In my opinion you are wrong about Edinburgh but right about Glasgow.

Glasgow has excellent, in terms of capacity, conference facilities at the SECC, but it doesnt have the bed space to service it.

Any time there is a big event in Glasgow, be it sporting, music, conferencing, Edinburgh takes a sharev of the accomodation because Glasgow cant do it.

I assume, as an industry insider if thats what you are, that you'll be aware that Edinburgh has dropped from 8th to 27th in the worldwide list of conference destinations and that the reason for this has been universally accepted as the lack of actual conference facilities.

Places like Vancouver and Vienna, similar sizes to Edinburgh, are taking Edinburgh business away because their cities have really got their acts together and we havent.

If it makes any odds, both these cities are around the 2 million mark.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it makes any odds, both these cities are around the 2 million mark.

Edinburgh population 2001 448,000

Vancouver population 2006 587,000

Vienna popultaion 1.6 million.

Okay Vienna was a bad comparison in pure population terms. In conference business terms we were way above both cities just 5 or 6 years ago.

Edinburgh Hotel occupancy DOWN 5.3 % this year. Anticpating being down 7% or more next year. As an industry expert I rest my case.

Edinburgh airport's passenger turnover has been increasing gradually over the last ten years, correct, but the vast majority of the increase is in outbound and returning holiday flights. i.e people LEAVING Edinburgh, not COMING to Edinburgh.

Sorry but all these people LEAVING Edinburgh need to stay somewhere a lot of the time --plus in order to leave you have to come to Edinburgh -- unless I am unaware of a way to do it differently.

The population of our city and environs is increasing and with it growth in service industries will follow -- even locals have weddings,parties, business events all of which have a market to be catered for.

Sorry but all these people LEAVING Edinburgh need to stay somewhere a lot of the time --plus in order to leave you have to come to Edinburgh -- unless I am unaware of a way to do it differently.

The population of our city and environs is increasing and with it growth in service industries will follow -- even locals have weddings,parties, business events all of which have a market to be catered for.

The growth in Edinburgh airport traffic is mainly due to it becoming more of an outbound holiday airport than it ever was. Okay there will be a certain amount of those who might spend the night before or the night after at an airport hotel, but the vast majority of the increased passengers are local, or within driving distance. They dont stay in Edinburgh. Thats why there are now 4 long stay car parks there instead of the one they used have .

Geoff Kilpatrick

So, with all the issues over conference centres, why doesn't Vlad scrap the plans for the hotel and build said conference centre? He would be onto a sure-fire winner!! :)

So, with all the issues over conference centres, why doesn't Vlad scrap the plans for the hotel and build said conference centre? He would be onto a sure-fire winner!! :)

You might actually have a very good point there

Archived