World to end?

Debaser

The Mighty Thor

Phew.....

Chill out folks, make a cuppa.

CERN have experienced minor electrical problems overnight and they may not now be starting the experiment at 8.30am after all.

65.jpgprepay_coinop_elemech2.jpg

Phew.....

Chill out folks, make a cuppa.

CERN have experienced minor electrical problems overnight and they may not now be starting the experiment at 8.30am after all.

65.jpgprepay_coinop_elemech2.jpg

Someone tell them they need a pound coin instead of a 50p.

Nah they're not firing it up until 8.30am. BBC breakfast is covering it live.

Should've be shown on BBC Supper (the last).

Nothing was going to happen today anyway, they were only trying to see if the thing worked one way at a time, I think the collisions at high power are pitched for mid October.

In the way of the law of unintended consequencies if Tim Berners-Lee, when at CERN, hadn't seen the answer to the problem of corresponding between research intsitutions we wouldn't be sitting here frittering away hours and hours and hours and hours on t'interweb.

What a waste of fecking money.

How do you put a price on understanding more about the creation of the universe or better cancer treatment or easier disposal of radioactive waste ?

Bring it on.

If the whole thing goes according to plan and they find evidence of the Higgs Boson thingy, then we could/will have a real life Nobel prize for Physics living in probably a posh flat in the New Town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Higgs

I'm reliably informed that he lives in Stockbridge.

I have no lead on his football allegiances.

Patrick Bateman

Got to love the doom merchants trying to argue against things they can't possibly comprehend. Or those who say that it's a waste of money; the US spends more on Iraq PER MONTH than the cost of this experiment which has been 30 years in the making. ?5 Billion really isn't all that much considering the possible benefits of such testing.

I'm reliably informed that he lives in Stockbridge.

I have no lead on his football allegiances.

His flat is in both Stockbridge and the New Town and he's probably currently more gutted about Keegan leaving Newcastle than his bosun being discovered in Switzerland. :)

Dr Ian Malcolm

What a spanner. I love how he dismissed scientists (who are also masons btw - wtf?) who will have spent all of their adult lives studying, researching, testing, bsiacally living for this experiment as essentially lying idiots.

He's a nutter with a youtube video - whats not to trust?

So you are balancing the worlds future in the hands of this guy?

hawking.jpg

;)Just kidding of course!

I would never trust the opinion of anyone who is prone to interference from mini cab firms:rolleyes:

Miller Jambo 60
What a spanner. I love how he dismissed scientists (who are also masons btw - wtf?) who will have spent all of their adult lives studying, researching, testing, bsiacally living for this experiment as essentially lying idiots.

He's a nutter with a youtube video - whats not to trust?

AERSEHOLE comes to mind.

I managed a minute of his rubbish.

The phoney voice was enough.

PS Wheres his hibs scarf.

As for the Scientists good on them , and i hope they get all the results they need.

PS Wheres his hibs scarf.

You might be on to something there, Doug.

A new branch for Lochend Uni to accompany their hobonomics degree...

Miller Jambo 60
You might be on to something there, Doug.

A new branch for Lochend Uni to accompany their hobonomics degree...

LOCHEND Uni :4_1_72::4_1_72:

Sorry to disappoint...

the first high level collision isn't expected for 30 days with the first low level one in a few days, which makes me wonder why everyone was saying today would be the day that the world ends... my guess is that they had to raise awareness of what they were doing.

But any way the conclusion is... if you thought the world would end today... dont worry it hasn't but it could in 30 days... if it doesnt then, well it could in 2010 when the machine reaches its optimum performance level.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7604293.stm

Sawdust Caesar

Some bearded boffin said on the news that there is a better chance of an alien ship landing on the back of the Loch ness monster than this experiment causing the end of the world. :)

Guest GhostHunter
Some bearded boffin said on the news that there is a better chance of an alien ship landing on the back of the Loch ness monster than this experiment causing the end of the world. :)

So, there's still a chance....:eek:

:P

The Old Tolbooth

Guy in the pub last night was convinced that this thing will engulf the whole world and that the end is nigh, he stated that man has become to clever for our own good, and in the end will kill us all in the name of progress :wacko:

Guest GhostHunter
Guy in the pub last night was convinced that this thing will engulf the whole world and that the end is nigh, he stated that man has become to clever for our own good, and in the end will kill us all in the name of progress :wacko:

Tell Andy to lay off the booze.....

:D

I wouldn't trust any boffin, bearded or not, who believes in the Loch Ness monster. :P

Much more reasonable to listen to a bloke in a pub.

Whilst I don't want to think about whether the end of the world is imminent (what could I do?), I happen to agree that we're edging closer and closer to enquiring just one bit too far. By making people live longer, we're putting the world out of balance. We're depleting natural resources at an alarming rate and plugging the gap with unsustainable solutions. There'll be too many people; not enough food; the rich will exploit the poor countries, pillaging their resources in the name of 'aid' and this spiral will continue in the name of progress until the only way out is to reverse.

It's only my cheery nature that keeps me going.

Archived