World to end?

Debaser

The world will probably end tomorrow (Wednesday) when they switch on the LHC in Geneva. A mini black hole may be created...:eek:

What would you do for your last hour?

What time is it being switched on.

And it's not 'probably'. It will definitely end the world. Well, a 90% chance. However they think that the 10% is worth the chance to find out how the world was created and possible cures for all diseases.

And it's not 'probably'. It will definitely end the world. Well, a 90% chance. However they think that the 10% is worth the chance to find out how the world was created and possible cures for all diseases.

Where did you read that!

The machine as a whole is also not being turned on tomorrow. 1 half of it is having calibration set. Its a while before the whole machine is set to become active.

I'll probably spend my last hour doing what I usually do during the day: MSN, Champ 01/02 and/or masturbating (depends on how well I play).

I read it in an article.

where? Scaremongering monthly!

i think they estimated that it is a 1 in 50 billion chance of going !its up.

thats: 50,000,000,000,000 to 1 (this may be 9 or 12 zeros dependant on whether they use the UK or American Billion)

to put this in perspective;

Odds of winning an Olympic medal: 662,000 to 1

Odds of being killed sometime in the next year in any sort of transportation accident: 77 to 1

Odds of being killed in any sort of non-transportation accident: 69 to 1

Odds of dating a supermodel: 88,000 to 1

I like the supermodel one, it gives me hope :)

although: Odds of a meteor landing on your house: 182,138,880,000,000 to 1

http://www.funny2.com/odds.htm

thats: 50,000,000,000,000 to 1 (this may be 9 or 12 zeros dependant on whether they use the UK or American Billion)

Odds of being killed sometime in the next year in any sort of transportation accident: 77 to 1

It was a joke.

Steven Hawkings has said the black hole will evaporate and disappear so calm your jets everybody. :)

Aye right.

What does that dafty know?

:biggrin:

I'll probably spend my last hour doing what I usually do during the day: MSN, Champ 01/02 and/or masturbating (depends on how well I play).

Is this how you intend to make your own 'sauce from scratch' :P

Steven Hawkings has said the black hole will evaporate and disappear so calm your jets everybody. :)

So you are balancing the worlds future in the hands of this guy?

hawking.jpg

;)Just kidding of course!

portobellojambo1

Is this definite, because if it is I am going to phone work and ask for the day off tomorrow. The last place on Earth I want to die is sitting in a fecking office on Edinburgh Park.

I take it the article you read wasn't in the EEN, they get everything wrong.

Christ, you're pinning a lot on your first cooking expedition!:eek:

Is this definite, because if it is I am going to phone work and ask for the day off tomorrow. The last place on Earth I want to die is sitting in a fecking office on Edinburgh Park.

The world ending is a tame excuse to get out of a ribbing from your winning workmates. ;)

Does anyone else think they have already done it. The 'big turn on' date will be simply when they tell us it was actually switched on last week ?

Or am I talkng ****...

hawking.jpg

To be fair, not much is being balanced in those hands, but he does communicate his thoughts rather well.

speak_n_spell.jpg

Is this how you intend to make your own 'sauce from scratch' :P

Aaaaw, man. I honestly didn't expect anyone to go there.

Actually, no. Wait. Of course I did.

It's OK guys.

I've checked with Dexter and the machine is only warming up until the real action takes place on October 21st.

So you have about 6 weeks to go until the world ends.

:thumb:

The Mighty Thor

I'm glad about that.

I built this model just in case;

stephen.jpg

It's OK guys.

I've checked with Dexter and the machine is only warming up until the real action takes place on October 21st.

I wouldn't cancel christmas just yet then. :P

It's OK guys.

FS! How many times are we going to have to change ****ing servers??

Professor.Arturo
It's OK guys.

Thats ok, at least we get to pump the hobos a couple of days before the world ends........thats a long time for bragging rights!

portobellojambo1
It's OK guys.

Fair chance neave will either be blind by then, or have a totally fecked right wrist.

J.T.F.Robertson
It's OK guys.

268,984 people have to die every day to keep the population steady. Since the population is growing, either more are being born, or fewer are dying, or both.

For at least 11,297,328 of us, it already will have ended. That's only a six week "tally". :eek:

I wonder how many of "our kind" have bit the dust since the dawn of time? There will be a number, you know.

It's OK guys.

Hmmmm.... before my credit card statement date then. Do you reckon the Maserati showroom at Fort Kinnaird takes Visa..? :eek:

I P Knightley

hawking.jpg

I'm bad for laughing so loudly.

But I thought me leaving lights on, and driving my car was going to end the world?!

Surely there is not a machine with more capabilities to do this than a Punto?!

If the whole thing goes according to plan and they find evidence of the Higgs Boson thingy, then we could/will have a real life Nobel prize for Physics living in probably a posh flat in the New Town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Higgs

What it doesn't say in his Wikipedia Bio is that since coming up to Edinburgh in 1960 he has held a season ticket for Tynecastle. in fact he formed a supporters club - The Particle Physicists Hearts Supporters club but they they kept fragmenting and factions would collide and form splinter groups having more energy than they had when they started.

I just made that bit up, you might have guessed, but if Prof Higgs was interested in Football I have no doubt he would have come to us, with our generally superior intelligence rather than the dimmer option down Lochend way, though I think he would be more at home in Wheatfield Section B 'The Intellectual Quarter'.

The Mighty Thor

The best interview i heard on this was on radio 5 live when the boy was explaining the whole process and the beneifts for mankind and a listeners question was how big was the carbon footprint of the LHC? The boy was stumped.:)

Guest GhostHunter

Bugger thing is though - if the world ends today, none of us will actually know it's ended.

Which sucks really.

I mean I'm about to launch into a rant abou

What a waste of fecking money. Could have gave the money to Edinburgh for the trams....

But if it does happen bye.........

I think that the important thing is not only the probability of the world ending but also the magnitude of the event. So a 'tail' event with a tiny probability might rarely happen - but usually the event 'isn't the end of the world'.

Anyway, I am told it is going to be okay. Source?

Someone who has been working on the calculations for the thing ...

Guest GhostHunter

What I don't get, is that they say this is the first time they can have done this experiment, so by default, they don't know exactly what WILL happen - they can only surmise that because it's small scale we're all going to be eating our dinner tonight.

A bit like the first atomic bomb explosion in the Pacific Ocean, the B&W film where you see the shockwave overpowering the boats close(ish) by, then the radiation sickness hitting the troops who were positioned on the Atoll not that far away, and the scientist going, "ooo ya fecker - didn't think that would happen".

The Mighty Thor
Is that 8am oor time or swiss time? (if swiss time ya beauty i'm alive, if our time............i don't know if anyone will read this)

Nah they're not firing it up until 8.30am. BBC breakfast is covering it live.

Archived