Glasvegas

I.J

Wee bit from column A, wee bit from column B.

VERY short set, and when they were good they were very, very good. When they weren't....................

:rolleyes:

Thought they were pretty damn good last night as well, I'm quite a big fan of them so I would say that, although the drummer bugs the *****e out of me.

Wasnt sure how they would be live but thought their sound came across really well. Downloading their album at the moment (Legally of course)

Like anything else that is remotely half decent, they are being over hyped, it's annoying that a band cant progress naturally and sometimes it's over before it's started, that's what I believe could happen to Glasvegas. ?8 a ticket last night but if their album flies off the shelves it'll probably be double if not triple that if/when I go and see them again.

Any proclaimers comparisons are pretty lazy IMO, just because the guy sings in a scottish accent. I think it's quite deliberate and from reading interviews James Allan would rather sing like this than in a fake american twang. He's a quality songwriter and has already shown that in some of their tunes.

About the only thing to ever come out of Glasgow that I actually like.

Saw them last night. So so. Never heard any of their stuff before, thought it pretty much all sounded like one 45min song with breaks throughout ;)

They sure love that reverb though don't they and does the drummer know more than 'bang bang be bang, symbol'??

Missed the support band, gutted!! The one drink per person policy was pish, kept having to either drag all folk up to the bar or get one drink, pay for it, hand it over, go back and queue again. Bunch of nonsense!!

chester copperpot

Love some of the songs on the new album, hate some others.

The one's that get on my goat are when his Scottish accent is at its most prominent.

Anyone else think he sounds like Spud from Trainspotting singing '2 little boys' in the film. Only at the annoying songs though.

Have went off them more than I like them after the new album, but will give it a few more tries yet.

This bit.

watch?v=MjzeiFvDQ6g

I played on the same bill as them a wee while back. They were nothing special.

Me too. Pretty much everybody thought they were pish. Almost as musical as the Cheeky Girls. Almost.

Just goes to show how far hype can get you.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I saw them the other night

Thought they were ok, certainly overhyped by the music press as "The most important Scottish band in decades"

They're pretty powerful live and very "rock and roll" although the drummer is a bit of a lost cause (I think I could play drums for them and I have all the timing of a stoned chimp)

I'm sticking to my original assessment/critique of they're The Jesus and Mary Chain (without the drugs) meets the Mighty Wah (which isn't a bad thing in my book)

Me too. Pretty much everybody thought they were pish. Almost as musical as the Cheeky Girls. Almost.

Just goes to show how far hype can get you.

Sounds very familiar, from what I can recall they didnt really have a drummer just some guy (or girl) on a snare and a symbol. They were shouting abuse at the sound engineer mid set also

You are so right about the hype thing. Right management know the right people and when Radio stations and magazines like NME jump on the bandwagon you are sorted. No matter how pish you are

blondejamtart

Have to agree about the over-hyped thing - they're a bit of a curate's egg, if you ask me, although I have to confess I'm liking Daddy's Gone at the moment.

Right management know the right people and when Radio stations and magazines like NME jump on the bandwagon you are sorted. No matter how pish you are

Word. I remember playing on a bill with another one of NME's favourites a few years back. One of the top ten live acts in the UK, apparently.

Turned out that the ability to actually play or sing were not included amongst the criteria for getting on to that list. They were pretty much hounded off the stage. NME GTF.

The People's Chimp

They're pretty powerful live and very "rock and roll" although the drummer is a bit of a lost cause (I think I could play drums for them and I have all the timing of a stoned chimp)

I'm sticking to my original assessment/critique of they're The Jesus and Mary Chain (without the drugs) meets the Mighty Wah (which isn't a bad thing in my book)

You're about right, throw in a bit of 50's girl pop and phil spector for good measure.

I like glasvegas, but of course, the hype machine has gone into such overdrive, the backlash has already begun. It used to be that it took a couple of albums before it was cool to say you hated someone, now it just looks like the easy option.

Mind you, 30 minute sets and a bizarrely incapable drummer can't help. But then, if you started a band with your mates, and suddenly you were thrown into the limelight, would you turn round and sack your pal, the drummer, or would you, in a cracking nod to heroes JAMC, simply start to incorporate an automatic era drum machine into your live shows?

I bought the album yesterday and like it. It has the odd average track but in general is pretty good.

Now I know where the chants at this year's T in the Park came from having heard Go Square Go.

They are a band with a lot of potential, but they hype machine needs to lay off them or they could self-destruct like so many other hyped bands.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Best bit for me was when Bond entered the venue and landed his hat onto the main mic stand :D

That was impressive :P

Bobby_swing_the_bar

I saw them support Embrace a few years ago and wasnt impressed (the drummer was murder) plus couldnt understand the singer.

I quite liked the singles so bought the album and actually quite like it. The drumming doesnt sound too bad on the album, drum machine by any chance?

Now I know where the chants at this year's T in the Park came from having heard Go Square Go.

Think that chant (if it's - Here we, here we ******* go) has been around for a while - don't think they can lay claim to it

The People's Chimp
Think that chant (if it's - Here we, here we ******* go) has been around for a while - don't think they can lay claim to it

much loved in glasgow on a night out....

it's an arches/barras/t in the park favourite.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

The singer looks like a bit of a string vest. There was a thing channel 4 about them last night and the guy is sitting there in a sulk with his sunglasses on indoors. Sure fire sign of a plank.

The Daily Record claim he is the best frontman of a Scottish band in decades. That sound you can hear is Billy McKenzie spinning in his grave!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
much loved in glasgow on a night out....

it's an arches/barras/t in the park favourite.

It's one of the most cringeworthy chants I've ever heard.

Almost certain to be started by a bunch of jakes. :sad:

Overhyped?

or actually any good?

both from what i've heard. havent heard the whole album yet tho. I've heard a few folk say they sound like the proclaimers, dont hear that at all other than the scottish accent as others have pointed out

It's one of the most cringeworthy chants I've ever heard.

Almost certain to be started by a bunch of jakes. :sad:

good fun singing it when your smashed though :)

The singer looks like a bit of a string vest. There was a thing channel 4 about them last night and the guy is sitting there in a sulk with his sunglasses on indoors. Sure fire sign of a plank.

The Daily Record claim he is the best frontman of a Scottish band in decades. That sound you can hear is Billy McKenzie spinning in his grave!

Was he not on Soccer AM a few backs back with a Hibs scarf on?????:eek:

good fun singing it when your smashed though :)

Have to disagree mate.

It's a good warning sign to move out the road before some arsehole weegie tosser chucks a pint in the air though.

'Here we ****ing go'

Have to disagree mate.

It's a good warning sign to move out the road before some arsehole weegie tosser chucks a pint in the air though.

'Here we ****ing go'

also very good fun :P

I'M IBRAHIM TALL
Was he not on Soccer AM a few backs back with a Hibs scarf on?????:eek:

Doubt it. He was in 4-4-2 magazine banging on about his love for Celtic zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Doubt it. He was in 4-4-2 magazine banging on about his love for Celtic zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Just looked too dark a green to be Celtic. Mind you, i was in the pub at the time. :)

Just looked too dark a green to be Celtic. Mind you, i was in the pub at the time. :)

What boozers open during Soccer AM?! :eek:

The People's Chimp

the one thing in his favour is that he is at least from the fecking east end of glasgow, unlike certain other nonsensical soi disant "celebrity celts."

just listened to the album - i like it.

but how bad is 'stabbed'!?!?!?! A shockingly awful 'song'! It tries to be meaningful and profound but i find it hilarious - its just ridiculous! Truly cringeworthy!!!

The rest is good though.

I hate Glasvegas. As I've said to quite a few people their first album will no doubt be a success because they already have a large following, but I can't see them standing the test of time.

Some of the lyrics are terrible and when I heard THAT chant in one of their songs I just hated them even more. They even had it on massive billboards at TITP.

All in all I hope they die.

I actually think having listened to the album a few times that it's been rushed out a bit to catch the wave they're on just now, I had a quite a few of their demos/different versions of songs which I prefer to some of the album tracks, I'd say half the album is really good but the rest of it has just been stuck together to get the record out IMO, overall not as good as it could have been given a bit more time.

When a 1st album is as hyped as there's has been, there's big pressure on any band to produce a 2nd album to match that hype, I dont think they'll still be around in 5-10 years time to be honest, especially if they stick with that **** drummer!!!

All in all I hope they die.

Word. Made popular by Jo Whiley and her tone deaf ilk telling the nation that it's cool to like them.

Archived