Best Atmosphere Game You've Been To? Hearts, Scotland, Liverpool etc

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

Carl Spackler
- Bayern Munich game.

Bit shocked that it took 29 posts before someone mentioned the above. I was walking into the shed before kick off and had to put my hands over my ears as the noise was deafning!

8th, 12th and 17th mentioned it first to be fair!

Best Atmosphere ever...

Bayern Munich at Tynecastle.

Best Atmosphere ever (away from Tynecastle)...

The first derby after the Mercer takeover plan, The Wayne Foster derby was better but the party atmosphere only really got going after 85 minutes the takeover derby was rock and roll from the moment you crossed London Road on the way to the ground.

Best Atmosphere ever (since terracing)

The Aberdeen game at the end of 2006, They could hear us in Leith.

Best Atmosphere (Not actually at the game)

Braga vs Hearts Caley Sample Rooms.

Best Atmosphere (Not involving Hearts)

I saw Keegan's Newcastle (the first time round) against West Ham during their promotion season that was a bit special.

I was in Robbos for that game and can remember guys jumping about in the middle of the road when that second goal went in.

Can also remember the picture had been lost when the first goal was scored and the whole pub celebrating on the strength of a phone call saying we'd scored. :)

Hearts:- Leipzig, Stuttgart, New Year game 1966, Tynie games during the Burley buzz.

Scotland:- England at Hampden '64, Italy at Hampden '65, Czeckoslovakia at Hampden '73 where we qualified for the World Cup in Germany.

Others:- West Ham - Man U 1967, Tottenham - Man U 1966, Europen nights watching Jock Stein's Celtic team, Old Firm Cup Final replay 1965.

All time favourite:- Wembley 1967 which I now have on DVD thanks to a London Hearts raffle.

Hearts v Celtic at Tynecastle, 1/4 final of the Cup (I think) in 1987. Robbo scored with about ten minutes to go with a free kick that deflected off McStay and looped over the despairing Pat Bonner.

Prior to that Anton Rogan had headered against his own bar and it shook for a couple of minutes after that.

The reason I say this game, apart from the fact it was v Celtic and in the cup, was the half time. The Gorgie Road end was full of Celtic supporters and they did a "walk on", holding up their scarves, flags etc. the other 3/4's of the ground were all Hearts and it seemed as if everyone had a Hearts scarf and everyone was doing the twirly thing. I've never seen Tynecastle so colourful, so tense, so full of anticipation for the second half of a match.

Wonderful.

Bordeaux was good too...

Haven't really been to enough Scotland games to comment on those.

Preston Jambo

Ayr Utd Hearts SC Cup 1/4 Replay

Hearts Leipzig

The Semi final travelling up on the Manchester Hearts bus, the way we came in was really quite until we turned the corner into Cathkin Rd (I think) to be met by a sea of Hearts fans at 11am. The team bus passed us and by the look on some of the players faces i'm sure that was worth a 1 goal start.

Sure we were playing Latvia in that game.

That was a different game.

I think you are right about the fact that the game we actually qualified for France 98' was against Latvia. The Austria game must have been just before the Latvia game.

We won 2-0 and i remember Gordon Durie scoring a header.

Colonel Kurtz

Scotland v Wales at Anfield prior to all This doe a deer TA nonsense.

Hearts 1 rangers o when wee Fordy scored

Hearts 3 rangers 2 when Colin Mcadam scored the winner

Airdriev o Hearts 5 texaco cup when the polis dog got killed

At tynecastle the Locomotive Leipzig game.

With Scotland- The 82 World cup game against Brazil in Seville

GlynnSnodin4-2

Two cracking atmospheres at Tynecastle:

Hearts 4 Rangers 2 - They were giving it all 'You're no singing any more when it got back to 2 each then we stuck 2 in - including my personal favourite hearts goal of Big Disco Dave McPherson running the length of the pitch to set up Kevin Thomas.

Hearts 1 Celtic 0 The Andy Thorn game. Brilliant cup tie - Peter Grant got sent off iirc and Robbo scored the winner in extra time. Happy days

Scotland v Wales at Anfield prior to all This doe a deer TA nonsense.

Hearts 1 rangers o when wee Fordy scored

Hearts 3 rangers 2 when Colin Mcadam scored the winner

Airdriev o Hearts 5 texaco cup when the polis dog got killed

How did that happen?

Surprised that none of my fellow auld gits have mentioned the 1973 Scotland v Czechozlovakia game at Hampden that took us to the 1974 World Cup as the UK's sole representatives.

As I recall, the Czechs scored first thanks to an error by Scotland's keeper Hunter (Celtic). This happened at the so-called "Rangers end" and, instead of the expected abuse from the populace at that end, a chorus of "There's only one Ally(?) Hunter" broke out. The Tartan Army was born that night.

Scotland went on to equalise and, later, got the winner through Joe Jordan.

Cue absolute bedlam!

The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end that night and I honestly believe that the crowd won the match for Scotland. The atmosphere was palpable and I've never experienced anything like it since.

J.T.F.Robertson
Scotland v Wales at Anfield (was there) prior to all This doe a deer TA nonsense.

Hearts 1 rangers o when wee Fordy scored (was there)

Hearts 3 rangers 2 when Colin Mcadam scored the winner (don't think so)

Airdrie o Hearts 5 texaco cup (was there) when the polis dog got killed

We surely know each other. :P

Was about to say Scotland 3 Spain 1. Standing in the West stand when Dalsglish got the third will possibly never be surpassed.

I was in the Celtic end that game and saw the goal coming miles away fantastic goal and brilliant atmosphere

Scotland - Scotland V Italy last time when we were robbed 2-1.

Hearts - Tough one, there are many different occasions but the one that sticks out is this one,

12307542724.jpg

The best atmosphere recently was the 1-0 v Rangers (Bednar) the only time I have went to see the Hearts against any of the old firm and knew we would win. Remember the guys landing in the centre circle and having Hearts strips on underneath their gear.

Best ever feeling being a Jambo was winning the cup in 1998 and the following day.

Best atmosphere old Hearts was the 2-2 draw with rangers 2-0 down with five to go (Robertson at his best).

Best atmosphere at Tynie non Hearts the U16 Scotland 1-0 v Portugal (with Figo) the Saudis U23 won the final!!!

Most scary atmosphere involving Hearts - Scottish Cup final against Rangers in 1976 when the Rangers fans lobbed bottles at us from about 2 o'clock onwards. They were 1-0 up before 3pm and any visit to Greenock Morton, Airdrie and Motherwell in the seventies

Best five days of fooball in my life 1981 England 0 Scotland 1 John Robertson (not ours) at Wembley followed by Real Madrid 0 Liverpool 1 in the European Cup (Alan Kennedy but Dalglish was immense where got my ticket for face value outside the Parc de Princes, Paris 10 minutes befor kick off from Spanniards who were told their bus would be set on fire if they tried to rip the Scousers off.

Most hatred at football Rangers 0 Celtic 1 in the Rangers end during the hunger strike (Packy bonnar got some abuse that day).

Most scary atmosphere ever - The boxing at Meadowbank 5 years ago with Alex Arthur getting dreadfully beaten up from Michael Gomez the hatred in the place was incredible and at the end the Man City and Hibs casuals chased each other up London Road causing havoc.

2 will always stick in my mind for atmosphere..

Basle away in the eufa, when Robbie hit the winner.

The other game nobody has really mentioned.. Rangers at Tynie, the first game of the season in 99 after beating them in the Scottish cup only 2 months before. I will always remember walking into the ground at night with the floodlights on and giving the Gers pelters.

Archived