Scottish Players, future internationals

123kid

In your opinion?

Do Scotland have a team for the future?

Do we have good enough genuine quality youth players coming through?

Looking at a team like Croatia, we should be on there level, they have a smaller population that us.

In your opinion?

Do Scotland have a team for the future?

Do we have good enough genuine quality youth players coming through?

Looking at a team like Croatia, we should be on there level, they have a smaller population that us.

Population means nothing and if that were the case the likes of Russia, China and the US would be dominating football, not the Italians and Spanish. A nation's football is only as good as the money and effort that's ploughed into it at grassroot level.

I think our U21 team is very good

I disagree, as much as I wish it was.

I think Croatia is a good example of what he should be aspiring to, surely they don't have the money to plough into youth development yet look at their current squad.

We seem to produce average players.

We have some good players coming through I suppose if you were to believe the hype:

Fleck (rangers)

Fletcher (Hobos)

Caddis (celtic)

Reynolds (motherwell)

But I doubt these guys will amount to much more than spl players.

Reynolds, Barr, Berra, Arfield, McDonald, Mulgrew, Wallace, McCormack, Fletcher, Maguire, Cuthbert, Caddis....probably a few more aswell.

Some will make it, some won't.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Population means nothing and if that were the case the likes of Russia, China and the US would be dominating football, not the Italians and Spanish. A nation's football is only as good as the money and effort that's ploughed into it at grassroot level.

Exactly. I hate the whole population argument.

Money in at grassroots = success.

If you are worried about our future than have a look at Englands up and coming players.

They are fecked.

Reynolds, Barr, Berra, Arfield, McDonald, Mulgrew, Wallace, McCormack, Fletcher, Maguire, Cuthbert, Caddis....probably a few more aswell.

Some will make it, some won't.

Most these lads are like 22.

Mulgrew failed at Celtic then Wolves, Maguire is viewed as pish my dons fans.

4 that I think will have careers - albeit average are Caddis, McDonald, Arfield, maybe Fletcher.

Exactly. I hate the whole population argument.

Money in at grassroots = success.

If you are worried about our future than have a look at Englands up and coming players.

They are fecked.

England U21: Hart, Cranie, Steven Taylor, Mancienne, Andrew Taylor, Huddlestone, Muamba (Cattermole 56), Noble, Milner, Adam Johnson (Kightly 86), Agbonlahor (Campbell 76).

Subs Not Used: Heaton, O'Hara, Stearman, Lennon.

They would walk into our first 11 IMO, possibly even a few more.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
England U21: Hart, Cranie, Steven Taylor, Mancienne, Andrew Taylor, Huddlestone, Muamba (Cattermole 56), Noble, Milner, Adam Johnson (Kightly 86), Agbonlahor (Campbell 76).

Subs Not Used: Heaton, O'Hara, Stearman, Lennon.

They would walk into our first 11 IMO, possibly even a few more.

I meant by their standards and expectations.

Most these lads are like 22.

Mulgrew failed at Celtic then Wolves, Maguire is viewed as pish my dons fans.

4 that I think will have careers - albeit average are Caddis, McDonald, Arfield, maybe Fletcher.

Reynolds - 21

Barr - 23

Berra 23

Arfield - 19

McDonald 19

Mulgrew - 22

Wallace - 21

McCormack - 22

Fletcher - 21

Maguire - 19

Cuthbert - 21

Caddis - 20

These guys have got plenty of time to make it. Look at Hartley and Robson, they were about 28 when they got called up. I was pretty impressed with Mulgrew at Dundee Utd and he's looked alright at Aberdeen from what I've seen.

I meant by their standards and expectations.

My mistake.

They've got a fantastic squad but I'm not sure if Capello is the man to take them forward.

The Old Tolbooth

Scotland always seem to do well with their youth teams, but for some reason the talent gets wasted or lost between the ages of 17 and 21, whereas other European nations nurture their young players through, what is it that we're doing so wrong?

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

fair dooz theyre sittin is it 2nd in the group , but still get beat more than they win, not got alot of confidence but to be fair we still have a reasonable young 1st 11

I disagree, as much as I wish it was.

I think Croatia is a good example of what he should be aspiring to, surely they don't have the money to plough into youth development yet look at their current squad.

We seem to produce average players.

We have some good players coming through I suppose if you were to believe the hype:

Fleck (rangers)

Fletcher (Hobos)

Caddis (celtic)

Reynolds (motherwell)

But I doubt these guys will amount to much more than spl players.

It's not always a case of money though, it's about how these kids are developed and how they're then integrated into the game from the beginning.

It's been said to death, but British footballs biggest shortcoming at youth level is our lack of flexibility. For example, the largest of the group will be punted into defence and that's where he'll remain and sop on. Whereas on the continent and S America, kids are rotated thus allowing the kids to develop properly and to allow them to find their natural position.

Another problem we're faced with in this country is too many kids are obese, they'd rather sit in front of a games consoles/PC or sit watching tv rather than going out and kicking a ball.

We tend to produce atheletes more than footballers. I am delighted that Darren Murray has been told that results don't matter at U-19 level so that the boys play good football, but I hope that results do matter at U-23 level as players have to get used to winning.

jamboinglasgow
It's not always a case of money though, it's about how these kids are developed and how they're then integrated into the game from the beginning.

It's been said to death, but British footballs biggest shortcoming at youth level is our lack of flexibility. For example, the largest of the group will be punted into defence and that's where he'll remain and sop on. Whereas on the continent and S America, kids are rotated thus allowing the kids to develop properly and to allow them to find their natural position.

Another problem we're faced with in this country is too many kids are obese, they'd rather sit in front of a games consoles/PC or sit watching tv rather than going out and kicking a ball.

We tend to produce atheletes more than footballers. I am delighted that Darren Murray has been told that results don't matter at U-19 level so that the boys play good football, but I hope that results do matter at U-23 level as players have to get used to winning.

both these are key reasons why we dont have the quality needed. As BlacJac says players here are put into a posistion at an early age. They become unflexiable and will pick up the needed abilty for that posistion and nothing else. If they could play many posistions then players could move freely about. Imagine trying to mark a forward who drops off and the attacking midfielder moves into his posistion. I remember taking up football at school when it became avaliable (in 5th year) and they just plonked me in defence and rarely gave me a chance outside that. The usual types went striker. I argue that coaches should forget usual types for posistions and give each young player the chance at each posistion and allows each person to understand the others role.

Also as spellczech says there is too much emphasis on athleticness and too little on actual football abilty. Yes it is important to be really fit for the game but its football not athletics. This is one of the mainy things that Csaba has impressed me when he told the shareholders meeting (think it was at that meeting) that the youth set-up concentrates too much on fitness and not enough on skill. He has given new training plans to the coaches to improve that. I think this will cemente hearts posistion as best producing youth academy in scotland.

Also the point about obese kids in Scotland is a problem. But I think there could be a good soloution for this. The SNP should come up with a government program. Call it something like "the golden generation." In it they invest heavily in building or repairing decent standard facilities, creating sports involvment from an earlier age, in australia kids under 5 start playing sport. Keep the sports involment varied over a few sports and mixed, you could even suggest that they at least do an individual sport and a team sport to develop discipline and working with a team. Keep this going at all ages and encourage it into later life.

Now what would be the benefit of such a program as cost would be large, well first of all if you get kids activly interested in sport than it would help lower obesity levels which in turn would save a great deal of money that it costs to the NHS. Secondly sports in Scotland would benfit as great talent is spotted and nurtered better meaning their would be more great scottish sportsmen and women. This in turn spurns a feel good factor for Scotland. The mood in the country after chris hoy won 3 medals was great and Andy Murry could do the same. Another benefit is that it could give anti-social youth in scotland something to do and gives them goals which could benefit their lives. This could help turn them away from crime as they strive to push themselves in sport, a bit of a pipe dream but even keeping them busy would help the country.

But doubt the politicions have the (foot)balls to do such an ambtious plan.

Archived