best band ever

Quagmire

See if I'd seen them in their prime rather than a bunch of wheezy old geysers rattling around an Enormodome, I'd probably anoint them as the finest ever. On reflection as a bold statement of intent, Exile edges Sandinista - just.

But I was there at the Playhouse on the "White Riot" tour and it was an incredible experience so I'm sorry, they win.

The Clash ...Playhouse ,White riot tour ? was it not the Odeon ?..didnt play there till after 81 ....white riot tour was with the slits at the Odeon...though its all a bit Hazy

I wouldnt claim to say they are the best band in the world, but my favourite band of all time are the Cocteau Twins.

I never tire of listening to them, the music still seems fresh, even though most of their best stuff is 20-25 years old.

Always original, if a little weird at times, they have influenced many other great musicians and songwriters of the modern musical era.

here's an idea. rather than have a big dabate/list thread, we simply state who is the best band ever and make a case for why we think they are. no replies like "nah, they're pish" etc. - if you disagree with someone, simply state who you think is the best and why.

just a thought...

Ten Years After for me.

Still playing now but without Alvin Lee. Not quite the same.

I wouldnt claim to say they are the best band in the world, but my favourite band of all time are the Cocteau Twins.

I never tire of listening to them, the music still seems fresh, even though most of their best stuff is 20-25 years old.

Always original, if a little weird at times, they have influenced many other great musicians and songwriters of the modern musical era.

BH, earlier on I said how much I liked The Jam and The Clash, but I don't really listen to them much these days - however, Blue Bell Knoll gets played on a weekly basis, "For Phoebe still a baby" is still one of the best songs I've ever heard - I'm still amazed by the mesmerizing sound of their music, it just never gets old, think I've just about got everything by the Twins - like you, they have to be my favourite band:cool:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Oasis - they were the soundtrack of my childhood and really got me into music. Along with Blur they revived the music scene in the UK and are still going strong 14 years on.

UB40 it has to be for me.

A band who sound even better live than on cd,not many bands about today who actually sound good live.

Also the CRANBERRIES,i went to murrayfield years ago to see REM but it was the cranberries who stole the show for me.

BH, earlier on I said how much I liked The Jam and The Clash, but I don't really listen to them much these days - however, Blue Bell Knoll gets played on a weekly basis, "For Phoebe still a baby" is still one of the best songs I've ever heard - I'm still amazed by the mesmerizing sound of their music, it just never gets old, think I've just about got everything by the Twins - like you, they have to be my favourite band:cool:

Excellent choice mac ;)

For me though, I drift between In Our Angelhood, Loves Easy Tears and Heaven Or Las Vegas as my stand out favourites, but there really are so many to choose from

The Clash ...Playhouse ,White riot tour ? was it not the Odeon ?..didnt play there till after 81 ....white riot tour was with the slits at the Odeon...though its all a bit Hazy

The White riot tour was at the Playhouse,1977 other acts on the tour were The Jam,The Buzzcocks,The Slits,Subway Sect.

It's a bit hazy for me as well, but I'm totally sure it was the Playhouse.

They are a band I have started to listen to a lot over the past year.

I got into them originally because I heard a Deftones cover of Wax and Wane and thought the song sounded a bit different.

Had Garlands and Victorialand but was blown away by Blue Bell Knoll.

I think it is pretty clear that if it weren't for the Cocteau Twins then Sigur Ros wouldn't have existed. Some of their style lifts largely from the twins.

I picked up Treasure, Head Over Heels, and Heaven or Las Vegas over the weekend cheap and am going to give them a listen over the week.

Anyway, here's to my contribution to best band ever: Led Zeppelin. Surprised noone has mentioned them so far.

It has to be for me Free no1 hit before half of them were 16 still iconic today

Why:-

no other band sounded(s) like them

Fraser/ Rodgers best songwriting combo

Paul Rodgers best rock singer ever

Paul Kossoff ace guitarist

Andy Fraser plays bass like a lead guitar (just listen to ride on pony or mr big live)

supporting cast of Tetsu,Rabbit and Jess Roden

The Kings of Leon.

Which other band's first 3 albums have had such quality each one better than the last. Completely different sounds too.

Jimi Hendrix experience, Gypsies sun and rainbows, band of gypsies etc.. bascially any group that MR. Hendrix put together in his brief but brilliant existence

The Kings of Leon.

Which other band's first 3 albums have had such quality each one better than the last. Completely different sounds too.

um...radiohead?;)

(sorry, couldn't resist, you walked into it...)

scott herbertson

god, some of these bands are awful, derivative tripe

clash, wire, beatles, faust, pink floyd, stones, kinks, velvet underground, zappa and the mothers, all produced new and interesting music and classic tracks which will last forever

Bands like the Wu Tang Clan, Underworld, Smiths, Blur, Prodigy, Mogwai, Husker Du etc have all produced music which wil define their own moment and place and set starting points for others.

I think bands like Oasis, Stone Roses, Levellers etc are just artisans who have reworked some nice material into acceptable pap for their peers. Can't see any of their songs being palyed other than on the quivalent of Radio 2 in 20 years time

PAVEMENT

With a body of work second to none, each song has something different, i can still hear their infulence nowadays:)

Good call.

Can't really say they are the best band ever but the best band of the last few years is easily Battles. Four extremely talented musicians making music different to everything else out there. Using awkward timings yet still throwing in the tunes that draw you in. And being able to play two instruments at the same better than most can play one is something else.

http://www.myspace.com/battlestheband

um...radiohead?;)

(sorry, couldn't resist, you walked into it...)

You're a Hibee which means that your opinions on anything at all are always going to be deeply suspect.

Lots of great bands mentioned, and as someone wise said it's all very subjective, but really how anyone can see past The Beatles is beyond me.

13 albums in 9 years, everyone a classic, including 3 or 4 that regularly hit top 10 in best albums of all time lists (White Album, Revolver, Sgt Pepper).

27 no.1's (in UK and US) at a time when getting a #1 meant something.

Stone Roses - One and a half decent albums

Oasis - Two decent albums in 14 years

Pink Floyd - Brilliant, but very sporadic

Rolling Stones - Have written nothing decent for 30 years

Radiohead - Genius, but have a tendancy towards arsey nonsense (Amnesiac)

Rage Against The Machine - One album worth mentioning

Now I love all these bands and listen to them all most days. I would even say that the best stuff any of them has done is better than most of The Beatles stuff (with the exception of Oasis who have never written anything better than Hey Jude, which is the standard I'm basing this on)

The Beatles never wrote anything better than I Am The Resurrection, or Shine On You Crazy Diamond, or Sympathy For The Devil, or Paranoid Andriod, or Killing In The Name Of.

So the best of these bands is better than anything The Beatles did, but over all, in sheer quality of song writing and quantity of excellent albums, The Beatles are way in front.

No band, no artist, will ever produce such a quantity of music of such a high standard in such a relatively short space of time.

We have to wait three years between Coldplay albums FFS!

James-great albums,great songs, great live, dont think they have ever dissapointed me

Oh deary deary me. Again, Manchester has done so much better. "Sit down, sit down....calm down, calm down.."

The White riot tour was at the Playhouse,1977 other acts on the tour were The Jam,The Buzzcocks,The Slits,Subway Sect.

Yup, for sure and The Jam left the tour a few gigs after Edinburgh due to some dispute with The Clash (various stories as to what it was all about) That wee grudge went on for a few years after 1977.

PS.. Just found this http://homepage.mac.com/blackmarketclash/Bands/Clash/recordings/1976_77/77-05-00%20Clippings/MM%20Jam-quit.jpg

I saw The Jam Live April '82 I think...Absolutely Immense!!

Just managed to get hold of the Live Album "Dig the New Bread" on CD...Have it on Vynal but don't have a record player anymore.

Another few bands I saw in the late 70's early 80's were...

The Clash...Amazin'

Undertones...I still love listening to there stuf!!

Stiff Little Fingers...Good...Yip Defo Good!! (Saw them again in the late 90's SUPPORTING the Sex Pistols...Better than the Pistols!!)

Last but not least....Shakin Stevens :eek:...One of the FUNNIEST concerts I have ever been too...You had to be there to witness these people!! :P

The People's Chimp
Neutral Milk Hotel

Because they released the best album of all time.

And thats what bands are supposed to do.

It's not. It's not just about that. The best band of all time can't record a quiet americana record and then take an extended hiatus. You need the fans, the hype, the shows, the performances which go down in history, the wild times...

It might be the best record of all time, but that is a different argument all together.

They are a band I have started to listen to a lot over the past year.

I got into them originally because I heard a Deftones cover of Wax and Wane and thought the song sounded a bit different.

Had Garlands and Victorialand but was blown away by Blue Bell Knoll.

I think it is pretty clear that if it weren't for the Cocteau Twins then Sigur Ros wouldn't have existed. Some of their style lifts largely from the twins.

I picked up Treasure, Head Over Heels, and Heaven or Las Vegas over the weekend cheap and am going to give them a listen over the week.

Anyway, here's to my contribution to best band ever: Led Zeppelin. Surprised noone has mentioned them so far.

I still listen to the Cocteaus every week as well. Try Bat For Lashes.

some of the suggestions on this thread are execrable.

I'm optimistic that none of the ones I've given the seal of approval fall into the sheite category.

But you're right enough, there are some right hummers mentioned on here. Those people should take a good look at their lives.

some of the suggestions on this thread are execrable.

I blame NME! I hate NME and everything it stands for!

This thread is silly because everyone has there own opinion in music and music shouldn't be about other peoples opinions. Each to their own.

If this thread was titled 'who IS the most successful band of all time' then we would have facts and figures to back this up. most likely the beatles?

sorry to be a moaning face ***t!

I just hate people who say this musics crap and this musics great - where's the scale in that kind of thing?!

Kalamazoo Jambo

I'd go for the Beatles, for several reasons.

They simply wrote more great songs than any other band (in my opinion).

They changed music - I can't imagine what it would have been like to have been around in the 60s, and to hear Tomorrow Never Knows for the first time...

They split up at the right time, so their quality of output was consistently high (unlike, say, the Rolling Stones).

If the question had asked for my favourite band, I'd no doubt have gone for the Super Furry Animals, because they're still around and producing great, innovative music, and theirs is still an evolving story. Plus they're fantastic live, in a celery-munching, Power Rangers Helmet wearing, Welsh kind of a way :)

If the question had asked for my favourite band, I'd no doubt have gone for the Super Furry Animals, because they're still around and producing great, innovative music, and theirs is still an evolving story. Plus they're fantastic live, in a celery-munching, Power Rangers Helmet wearing, Welsh kind of a way :)

C'mon we all know Its not celery you munch when you go to see the Furrys!

SFA OK! My mates are massively into SFA and to their sins they are united fans all 3 of them. They have the best supporters club name(in my opinion) in Scotland: The Super Furry Arabs!

I've got a mobile phone!

Going to see neon neon in October or November cant remember. You heard any of that? It's a bit more electro. Also seen Gruffs Candylion at the Liquid rooms and he made up a whole tune out of toys he recorded and looped there and then!

No don't demean yourself. You're right. What New Order went on to be was Joy Division with a sense of humour and life that would never have happened if Curtis hadn't done his thing and spared us all from the electronica equivalent of Leonard Cohen's worst moments.

Man, I want to hear the electronica equivalent of Leonard Cohen's worst moments :(

Man, I want to hear the electronica equivalent of Leonard Cohen's worst moments :(

No you really don't, mate. But I tell you, if I thought there was even a remotest chance of a market for it, I probably would have done it by now....

here's mine -

rage against the machine

probably not a popular choice...at all...but for me, they have achieved utter perfection at what they do. they tick every single box for me. they are great musicians, all individually great at what they do (esp brad wilk, probably my favourite drummer ever).

each member also brings something completely different to the band, yet they meld semelessly. when they play, you can enjoy listening to the individuals, but ultimately, all together, they are simply awesome. they're the best example of no individual being bigger than the band. they also appear to be incapable of writing a crap song. i've seen them twice, and on both occassions knew that no matter what songs they played in the set, i wouldn't be dissappointed. and by christ i wasn't - there aren't a band that even come close for me live. put it this way - i've never had chills just looking at the t-shirts in the merch stalls for any other band, but when i saw "the battle of coachella" shirts hours before their first preformance in 7 years, i pretty much had a seizure.

the thing that sums them up most IMO is that there isn't really anyone that's tried to rip them off. they've infuenced plenty, but i think people realise that there's just no point in trying to replicate what they do, as they have it down to the very finest art.

Bingo.

Their set at TITP was the best I have ever seen by a country mile.

I had a discussion with my pal the other day where we tried to pick our top 10 RATM songs, and we really struggled. in the end we got it down to 15 and gave up.

Utterly brilliant.

QUEEN! ultimate perfection...live and in the studio. We'll be listening to Queen songs in a hundred years time...can't say that about most other bands.

Lynn :ninja:

I blame NME! I hate NME and everything it stands for!

This thread is silly because everyone has there own opinion in music and music shouldn't be about other peoples opinions. Each to their own.

If this thread was titled 'who IS the most successful band of all time' then we would have facts and figures to back this up. most likely the beatles?

sorry to be a moaning face ***t!

I just hate people who say this musics crap and this musics great - where's the scale in that kind of thing?!

the idea was for people to explain PROPERLY why they think whatever band is the best band ever. i was hoping it would be interesting and put off people who want to go "eehm....the kooks. just are, orite".

i agree, and i don't think you could possibly actually argue that the cribs or whoever are the best band in history. see, it just doesn't sound right, does it.

Johanes de Silentio

Sorry, but I have to agree with the post about the NME, etc.

My formative years were the 80s. (I know!)

Had it right up to here with the music press telling me I HAD to like The Bunneymen, The Cure, and The ****ing Smiths if I wanted to be right on!

****ing cheek!

Al.

The People's Chimp
I'm optimistic that none of the ones I've given the seal of approval fall into the sheite category.

But you're right enough, there are some right hummers mentioned on here. Those people should take a good look at their lives.

indeed, if i was the police chief of malibu, and they were geoffrey lebowski, i'd fully throw a mug at their heads.

Kalamazoo Jambo
I've got a mobile phone!

Going to see neon neon in October or November cant remember. You heard any of that? It's a bit more electro.

Neon Neon seems like an interesting experiment but I haven't really gotten into it. May try giving it another listen, though :)

P.S. I've Got City & Guilds :cool:

Can't really argue with any of the shouts for the Beatles, Floyd or Zeppelin, although none were without their flaws (the wishy-washy tunes, inconsistency/stadium rock torpor and ripping off old blues tunes respectively).

However, just to move away from the white-boy rock fascination, I'd like to propose none other than hard-working, Mr Dynamite himself, James Brown. How many other artists out there can genuinely claim to have revolutionised two types of music and had such an influence on the shape of modern music?

Archived