best band ever

Quagmire

here's an idea. rather than have a big dabate/list thread, we simply state who is the best band ever and make a case for why we think they are. no replies like "nah, they're pish" etc. - if you disagree with someone, simply state who you think is the best and why.

just a thought...

here's mine -

rage against the machine

probably not a popular choice...at all...but for me, they have achieved utter perfection at what they do. they tick every single box for me. they are great musicians, all individually great at what they do (esp brad wilk, probably my favourite drummer ever).

each member also brings something completely different to the band, yet they meld semelessly. when they play, you can enjoy listening to the individuals, but ultimately, all together, they are simply awesome. they're the best example of no individual being bigger than the band. they also appear to be incapable of writing a crap song. i've seen them twice, and on both occassions knew that no matter what songs they played in the set, i wouldn't be dissappointed. and by christ i wasn't - there aren't a band that even come close for me live. put it this way - i've never had chills just looking at the t-shirts in the merch stalls for any other band, but when i saw "the battle of coachella" shirts hours before their first preformance in 7 years, i pretty much had a seizure.

the thing that sums them up most IMO is that there isn't really anyone that's tried to rip them off. they've infuenced plenty, but i think people realise that there's just no point in trying to replicate what they do, as they have it down to the very finest art.

Blur.

Seen them many times live.amazing.They changed so many times.Modern life is rubbish is very underated one of the best albums of the 90's

Radiohead

Innovative, original, constantly evolving, always inspiring. Yorke is a true musical genius and has a unique voice. The band members are all incredibly talented and capable of playing more than one instrument - watching their live performances and how they create the layers of sound is mind-blowing.

There is a dark, twisted nature to their music that appeals to me. A lot of people seem to find them depressing but I've never found that at all. It certainly isn't mainstream, shiny, happy, commercial music, and I guess that's all some folk are after. Radiohead have always stuck 2 fingers up to the mainstream and I respect that immensely. Following up one of the most popular indie-rock albums of all time (OK Computer) with an album filled with abstract electronica (Kid A) was a brave move and a brilliant one. Unlike some bands (Oasis, Coldplay etc) they constantly change their sound and try and create something that sounds fresh.

'In Rainbows', their latest work, is a great album and one of their best. If you listen to tracks like 'Weird Fishes' and 'All I Need', and compare them to earlier stuff on 'The Bends' you can really hear how their sound has progressed and matured over the years. Oasis still sound the same 10 years later.

here's mine -

rage against the machine

probably not a popular choice...at all...but for me, they have achieved utter perfection at what they do. they tick every single box for me. they are great musicians, all individually great at what they do (esp brad wilk, probably my favourite drummer ever).

each member also brings something completely different to the band, yet they meld semelessly. when they play, you can enjoy listening to the individuals, but ultimately, all together, they are simply awesome. they're the best example of no individual being bigger than the band. they also appear to be incapable of writing a crap song. i've seen them twice, and on both occassions knew that no matter what songs they played in the set, i wouldn't be dissappointed. and by christ i wasn't - there aren't a band that even come close for me live. put it this way - i've never had chills just looking at the t-shirts in the merch stalls for any other band, but when i saw "the battle of coachella" shirts hours before their first preformance in 7 years, i pretty much had a seizure.

the thing that sums them up most IMO is that there isn't really anyone that's tried to rip them off. they've infuenced plenty, but i think people realise that there's just no point in trying to replicate what they do, as they have it down to the very finest art.

Can't really argue with that.

:)

Konrad von Carstein

The Jam...for those of a certain age this should need no explanation.

Of course there are other bands that I like but they were either going strong before my teenage years (The Who for example) or after (Stone Roses).

I'm quite "catholic" in my musical tastes but for me The Jam mean more than just the music...many songs bring back special memories of when I was bouncing about Saughton Mains and Tynecastle HS as a young, stupid but happy daft laddie.

Radiohead

Innovative, original, constantly evolving, always inspiring. Yorke is a true musical genius and has a unique voice. The band members are all incredibly talented and capable of playing more than one instrument - watching their live performances and how they create the layers of sound is mind-blowing.

There is a dark, twisted nature to their music that appeals to me. A lot of people seem to find them depressing but I've never found that at all. It certainly isn't mainstream, shiny, happy, commercial music, and I guess that's all some folk are after. Radiohead have always stuck 2 fingers up to the mainstream and I respect that immensely. Following up one of the most popular indie-rock albums of all time (OK Computer) with an album filled with abstract electronica (Kid A) was a brave move and a brilliant one. Unlike some bands (Oasis, Coldplay etc) they constantly change their sound and try and create something that sounds fresh.

'In Rainbows', their latest work, is a great album and one of their best. If you listen to tracks like 'Weird Fishes' and 'All I Need', and compare them to earlier stuff on 'The Bends' you can really hear how their sound has progressed and matured over the years. Oasis still sound the same 10 years later.

thing that sums up radiohead (can't remeber where i read it) - they always give their audience what they didn't know they wanted

The Funk Brothers(Motown House Band)

More No1s tha Elvis,Beatles & Rolling Stones put together.

Its Whats in The Grooves Thats Counts

Stone Roses

Can't even be bothered explaining why, I don't think I should have to, they're just that good :D

Stone Roses

Can't even be bothered explaining why, I don't think I should have to, they're just that good :D

kinda defeats the point of the thread though...people always have these threads and just rant at each other, and this is an opportunity for folk to just state their case and that be it...:rolleyes:

I'm very tired, I shall add to it tomorrow :)

You probably don't want me to start going on about stuff because I'm a uni student of a music school and will bore you all to death!

netherleejambo

Dr. Feelgood

As the avatar says. Frequently attributed with starting punk rock but just a great band to see live and brought music back from the stadium to the pub- the Hope and Anchor in Islington was a clasic for me.

I'm very tired, I shall add to it tomorrow :)

You probably don't want me to start going on about stuff because I'm a uni student of a music school and will bore you all to death!

well, i'm a complete anorack (i spent ?150 on the 3 eps by the beta band on vynil even though i don't have a record player - i just like looking at them).

i could totaly out-bore you.

If you want to know why Stone Roses are the best, put their debut album on, lie down and listen to it from start to finish.

I Wanna be Adored is the best start to an album you can imagine. IMO of course ;)

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

goes without saying.... the libertines :D

consitently top class! would do anythin to go and see them on a reunion tour

cos i think if they re-joined there could be a chance they would be utter gash and take the glory away from ther past antics

there's no need, but would you care to?;)

You're right. In the case of this band, it's so stunningly self-evident, there really is no need.

Got to be The Jam. No, I mean the The Clash. No, def the Jam. Nah, got to be Joe, Mick, Topper & Paul. Couldn't put a rizla between the two of them. Why was it always a competition between the 2. Is it not possible to have THE JAM & THE CLASH as your 2 favourite bands.How come it is ok to have so many fav bands, but only one football team?????FTH

With you on this, JC, but if pushed I'd have to say... Magazine!

(Where the hell did that one come from? Not heard "Real Life" for ages)

At one point, I knew all the words to "Eton Rifles" and "Complete Control", that was when I had loads of time, and no girlfriends!:o

Rolling Stones, apart from the Beatles how many of the above bands could attract 1million people to a gig?

Pure class for 44 years.

Doctor FinnBarr
Dr. Feelgood

As the avatar says. Frequently attributed with starting punk rock but just a great band to see live and brought music back from the stadium to the pub- the Hope and Anchor in Islington was a clasic for me.

Seen them at the Preservation Hall, brilliant.

If you want to know why Stone Roses are the best, put their debut album on, lie down and listen to it from start to finish.

I Wanna be Adored is the best start to an album you can imagine. IMO of course ;)

Believe me I tried, but never got anywhere near the end on one listening without nodding off. A real sense of duty, as so many were bending the ear about this supposed piece of vinyl genius. In saner moments, you might think of removing yourself from the historical - hysterical? - hyperbole and admit that not only is it actually not a very good record, but in the pantheon of really good records, it doesn't even raise enough wind to trouble a gnats body hair.

Seen them at the Preservation Hall, brilliant.

Blagged some tickets to the Odeon where they played..just after "Milk and Alcohol." Great great "pub band."

Could be wrong but I think they were supporting JJ Burnel from the Stranglers - that "Euroman Cometh" nonsense which was the one where for some unknown reason he thought it would be cool to ride his beloved old Bonneville bike on stage. Not the best idea - stank the whole place out for half the set.

Konrad von Carstein
The Beatles (can't believe I'm the first), none of the other bands would have existed without them. FACT

Oh Dear, must be true...FACT in capitals and in bold maketh it so :rolleyes: (Just joshin')

Got to be The Jam. No, I mean the The Clash. No, def the Jam. Nah, got to be Joe, Mick, Topper & Paul. Couldn't put a rizla between the two of them. Why was it always a competition between the 2. Is it not possible to have THE JAM & THE CLASH as your 2 favourite bands.How come it is ok to have so many fav bands, but only one football team?????FTH

Was a toughie for me too between these two...:sad:

Stone Roses

First album is faultless and has been a constant in my life since it was first released(other albums flirt in and out) and despite what any critic said the Second Coming is also absolutely brilliant album.

Bye Bye Badman how can a song about the May 1968 riots in Paris sound so beautiful.

I Am the Resurrection - Surely the best end to an album ever.Full blast on the Ipod nothing beats it.

Guest juvehearts

Queen, Beatles or ABBA

Queen - Tthey still be belting out tracks today if freddy didnt get aids

The Beetles - Innovators of pop music

ABBA - 8 of their songs would dominate the uk top 40 singles if downloads were allowed to be officialy counted.

i think ELO ate a good band also.

have to

Stone Roses

First album is faultless and has been a constant in my life since it was first released(other albums flirt in and out) and despite what any critic said the Second Coming is also absolutely brilliant album.

Bye Bye Badman how can a song about the May 1968 riots in Paris sound so beautiful.

I Am the Resurrection - Surely the best end to an album ever.Full blast on the Ipod nothing beats it.

I give up. They're nothing more than an average Mancunian accident. So much better has come out of there. Even in your right mind, you can't even put them on a par with the Smiths. And I appreciate Morrisey's importance in the pantheon but wouldn't rush to place any of their songs at the top of my "must be played at my funeral" list.

i think ELO ate a good band also.

I've seen some depraved rock moments in my time but never come across cannibalism on tour.

200milesfromgorgie
forgot to add Oasis to the list!

90's indie band of all time

mmmmm coz any group from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 00's would fit in the catergory just lovely!

sorry.

Spitonastranger

PAVEMENT

With a body of work second to none, each song has something different, i can still hear their infulence nowadays:)

I give up. They're nothing more than an average Mancunian accident. So much better has come out of there. Even in your right mind, you can't even put them on a par with the Smiths. And I appreciate Morrisey's importance in the pantheon but wouldn't rush to place any of their songs at the top of my "must be played at my funeral" list.

Everything is subjective.

Im not really into The Smiths

I prefer New Order to Joy Division as well which to most seems riddick.

Everything is subjective.

Im not really into The Smiths

I prefer New Order to Joy Division as well which to most seems riddick.

No don't demean yourself. You're right. What New Order went on to be was Joy Division with a sense of humour and life that would never have happened if Curtis hadn't done his thing and spared us all from the electronica equivalent of Leonard Cohen's worst moments.

No don't demean yourself. You're right. What New Order went on to be was Joy Division with a sense of humour and life that would never have happened if Curtis hadn't done his thing and spared us all from the electronica equivalent of Leonard Cohen's worst moments.

Well you see it's all subjective some things we agree on others we don't.

markletissier
here's mine -

rage against the machine

although they aren't my favourite band, they're the best live band i've ever seen.

Well you see it's all subjective some things we agree on others we don't.

Some things should legally not be subjective.

Now where was I with the Clash....

The Rolling Stones.4 studio lps.Beggars Banquet/Let it Bleed/Sticky Fingers/Exile in Main Street all in row that no band has come close to matching.Plus a great live lp,Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! inbetween.

Archived