in your honest opinion

Gorgie Ultra

does a player need to go to Celtic or Rangers to get chosen for Scotland.

I personally gave up on Scotland when Robbo/Mackay hardly got a look in when they were both head and shoulders above the west coast players.

It is so bad i never even bothered finding out the score today as I really dont care, years of watching crap west coast strikers struggle to get 1 goal in 2 games when the wee man was sticking almost a goal a game away made me give up.

For a certain level of player, yes. Players like Barry Robson and Tosh McKinley who never had a sniff of the national team then suddenly made it. At least Tosh was honest enough to admit it.

For a certain level of player, yes. Players like Barry Robson and Tosh McKinley who never had a sniff of the national team then suddenly made it. At least Tosh was honest enough to admit it.

WORD TAZIO...

mckinley was the best left back in the county for a good few seasons at hearts and never got called up yet a mediocre half a season with the bigot boys and he's suddenly a scotland regular.

it pained me today watching scotland chasing a game and our last throw of the dice is maloney and boyd.

I couldn't care less to be honest, the best season I have watched Heart of Midlothian ever apparently we never had any players good enough to represent the west of scotland football association, that was 85/86.

Hearts Heritage
I couldn't care less to be honest, the best season I have watched Heart of Midlothian ever apparently we never had any players good enough to represent the west of scotland football association, that was 85/86.

No Hearts players picked but the majority were from Dundee United (5 players 32 caps) and Aberdeen (4 players 29 caps) rather than the OF.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scotland/sea/1985-86.html#CapsbyClub

I've been the same since Donald Ford.

Nah, seriously the lack of spots for Robbo made me realise how tainted the Scotland team was and if you look at the gash that has 50 caps it makes you spew.

Not interested.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Tosh McKinlay was the most blatant - no caps until he's 30 and a Celtic player. As per the OP, I don't know if I would say Robbo was "head and shoulders" above McCoist and Mo Johnston.

WORD TAZIO...

mckinley was the best left back in the county for a good few seasons at hearts and never got called up yet a mediocre half a season with the bigot boys and he's suddenly a scotland regular.

it pained me today watching scotland chasing a game and our last throw of the dice is maloney and boyd.

1 Game and he was , not half a season.

I personally gave up on Scotland when Robbo/Mackay hardly got a look in when they were both head and shoulders above the west coast players.

It is so bad i never even bothered finding out the score today as I really dont care, years of watching crap west coast strikers struggle to get 1 goal in 2 games when the wee man was sticking almost a goal a game away made me give up.

I'm the same, from about the same time, I used to go to the Scotland matches in late 70's early 80's but completely lost interest for the reasons you state.

Obviously I still want them to win but I wouldn't be gutted if I missed any games on tv now, they hardly raise any interest with me now.

A Boy Named Crow

I really struggle with Scotland. They are my national team, I really want them to win, but I don't get angry enough when they lose anymore. It's more of a resigned shrug. The lack of respect given to the team by the Old Firm is disgraceful (Georgia defeat anyone). This makes the selection issues outlined above all the harder to swallow. The Scotland team is like a subservient wife who can't leave the abusive husband that is the Old Firm!

Nope,a couple of years back we had 5 players in a Scotland squad.

Robbo was very unlucky IMO that we had two very talented strikers in McCoist and Johnston that were in at the same time.

Yes the Tosh and Galloway one was a bit of a "smells of west coast" thing,but that apart Hearts have given Scotland quite a few player over the years.

Drylaw Hearts

In a word - No.

In the last 20 years we've had......

Henry Smith

Nicky Walker

Craig Gordon

Robbie Neilson

Alan McLaren

Craig Levein

Dave MacPherson

David Weir

Steven Pressley

Andy Webster

Paul Ritchie

Christophe Berra

Gary Naismith

Gary Mackay

Colin Cameron

Paul Hartley

Michael Stewart

John Colquhoun

Neil McCann

John Robertson

all capped whilst at Hearts.

And there are probably a few more which I've missed.

The Real Maroonblood
In a word - No.

Henry Smith

Nicky Walker

Craig Gordon

Robbie Neilson

Alan McLaren

Craig Levein

Dave MacPherson

David Weir

Steven Pressley

Andy Webster

Paul Ritchie

Christophe Berra

Gary Naismith

Gary Mackay

Colin Cameron

Paul Hartley

Michael Stewart

John Colquhoun

Neil McCann

John Robertson

It would be interesting to know the total of caps that they add up to.

Drylaw Hearts
So you reckon Broadfoot would be in the squad if he'd stayed at St. Mirren?

He did get a 'B' Cap 2 years ago and was capped several times for the U'21's so you never know !!

FWIW I think he's murder but I also think Graham Alexander is murder and he get's capped reguarly and he doesn't play for either of the OF.

So you reckon Broadfoot would be in the squad if he'd stayed at St. Mirren?

He's not that good a player, but who would you have in instead of him?

The Old Tolbooth

The one for me that sticks out as a complete old firm homer is Pat McGinley, he was absolutely gash at Hibs, somehow won a move to septic, and ended up in the very next Scotland squad. At least Pat himself was big enough to admit that he didn't deserve the call up as he wa sno better at septic than he was at fester road.

neil mccann said it best when the interviewer said he was now at rangers playing the best football of his career and a scotland regular, wee neil said back "i'm getting regular games for scotland yes, but thats only because i'm at rangers, i've been playing like this for years at hearts"

I fully agree mate, Scotland do not interest me i gave up on them years ago, who would want to support these average west coast players that always get picked, when we shout abuse at them on a weekly basis, stuff Scotland IMO even when our players do get picked they come back worse players as they get coached wrongly, and become friendly with these players and loose some of there competitive edge.

yes its annoying but its only because when they move to the old firm they get more of the ball and win more matches and i dare say attackers/midfielders score more goals and defenders and keepers keep more clean sheets

its utter baws

Steven Pressley was immense for Hearts for nearly 2 years before he even got a sub appearance. By the time he was in the first team, he was already on the way down.

Vogts started by choosing English based players before Scottish based players and then with half decent youth players, which meant that we got some decent players in like Andy Webster. But even he soon went for the tried and tested old firm first.

Undoubtably.

Maloney is out of the squad, then plays one game as a sub for a Glasgow team. STRAIGHT back into the squad.

Broadfoot is utter gash but because he plays in Weegieland, STRAIGHT into the squad.

It's terrible. At least Berti was brave enough to try others like Nigel Quashie.

In a word - No.

Henry Smith

Nicky Walker

Craig Gordon

Robbie Neilson

Alan McLaren

Craig Levein

Dave MacPherson

David Weir

Steven Pressley

Andy Webster

Paul Ritchie

Christophe Berra

Gary Naismith

Gary Mackay

Colin Cameron

Paul Hartley

Michael Stewart

John Colquhoun

Neil McCann

John Robertson

Very good but you need to put it into context, how many of those players represented Scotland in a regular basis and how many only managed to get a regular game once they played away from Hearts? Only recently have Hearts players started getting more recognition, i.e. Gordon, Webster, Pressley, Hartley and to an extent Neilson (cleary not a regular).

Robbo, McKinlay, Colquhoun and McKay were classic examples of players that were at the top of their game at Hearts and never really managed to get into the first 11 or even the squad of 24 at times.

Jambof3tornado
Undoubtably.

Maloney is out of the squad, then plays one game as a sub for a Glasgow team. STRAIGHT back into the squad.

Broadfoot is utter gash but because he plays in Weegieland, STRAIGHT into the squad.

It's terrible. At least Berti was brave enough to try others like Nigel Quashie.

Berti was brave enough coz he didnt give a hoot what the papers said about him,and wasnt influenced the way that Burley is being.:mad:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Maurice Ross is a good example in reverse. 13 caps while with Rangers. He's now with Viking in Norway, a first-team regular, and I haven't heard his name once mentioned for a recall. I haven't even been aware of anybody going to Norway to watch him. Surely he was worth a shout before Broadfoot?

I've been the same since Donald Ford.

Nah, seriously the lack of spots for Robbo made me realise how tainted the Scotland team was and if you look at the gash that has 50 caps it makes you spew.

Not interested.

Will never forget how good the combination of Robbo and Duncan Ferguson looked in a Scotland B international...

As for the question in the OP... It does seem that if you get a game for one of the OF then you become an automatic Scotland squad member. Broadfoot is evidence of this and the disappearance of Darren Barr when things got competitive is proof by omission...

Perhaps not always just to be chosen for the squad - but certainly to be a regular - yes!

Anyone could see yesterday that Caldwell and McManus as a CB pairing was not working and Brown, fletcher and Hartley were rank!

There was not harm in sticking at least Stewart on in midfield, Berra would have done a better job than Caldwell at the back and Clarkson could not have done any worse than Miller.

rudi must stay
Maurice Ross is a good example in reverse. 13 caps while with Rangers. He's now with Viking in Norway, a first-team regular, and I haven't heard his name once mentioned for a recall. I haven't even been aware of anybody going to Norway to watch him. Surely he was worth a shout before Broadfoot?

tbh that doesn't suprise me. The standard of football is worse there and it's not easy to get to. At Rangers, atleast it's easy to see how well a player is doing. Plus at that time with Vogts in charge we were ****

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

well obviously hutton but i duno when hes back, but for back-up in the meantime would have to be that wonder signin daniel van zanten for hibs!

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

How about Kevin McNaughton?

PontiusPilate
well obviously hutton but i duno when hes back, but for back-up in the meantime would have to be that wonder signin daniel van zanten for hibs!

It's actually David van Zanten and he Irish but apart from that good point.

How about Kevin McNaughton?

was in the squad and pulled out injured.

As for the OP, it's clearly easier to get a game if you play for one of the OF. not a necessity, but it certainly improves your chances.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
was in the squad and pulled out injured.

As for the OP, it's clearly easier to get a game if you play for one of the OF. not a necessity, but it certainly improves your chances.

Is that right? Didn't realise. Kind of makes it more difficult to question Broadfoot's inclusion. There really was nobody else.

Archived