Getting rid of mice

The Merse

Anybody ever had a problem with mice. Moved into my flat about a year ago, and not long after moving in I noticed a mouse. The problem seems to be getting worse and I've tried so much to get rid of the feckers.

Put down poision, which all disappeared, yet no sign of any dead mice.

Traps, caught feck all.

Ultra sonic plug ins that are meant to scare them off with the noise they put out.

I've also used the foam stuff that solidifies to try and block gaps in the wall which I thought they were coming from.

Whats the next step? Exterminators? How much will that cost?

Anybody ever had a problem with mice. Moved into my flat about a year ago, and not long after moving in I noticed a mouse. The problem seems to be getting worse and I've tried so much to get rid of the feckers.

Traps, caught feck all.

Ultra sonic plug ins that are meant to scare them off with the noise they put out.

I've also used the foam stuff that solidifies to try and block gaps in the wall which I thought they were coming from.

cat!

What are you setting your traps with?

Tried chocolate. No luck yet.

Really getting frustrated as its so horrible seeing the little bar stewards scuttle across the floor then disappear.

Feel uncomfortable in my own flat. Need the problem sorted pronto.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Really getting frustrated as its so horrible seeing the little bar stewards scuttle across the floor then disappear.

You should probably man up before you do anything else.

:P

You should probably man up before you do anything else.

Dude, its been a year and the problems got worse. Honestly, mice are disgusting disease ridden vermin. I'd rather have a Hibby in my flat!

I find melting the chocolate on to the trap works best. A good success rate for me when I occasionally get them coming in at harvest time from the field out the back.

I've never met a mouse yet that didn't like chocolate. :eek:

Nelly Terraces

Traps, caught feck all.

Had the littel barstewards when i lived in my house in SE London. Friggin mare to get rid of them, if at all. I put in a few of those sonic de-mousers and they seemed to do the trick - for a while, but then they seemed to come back (deaf mice??), but problem was not as bad as had been before I installed them. They've probably eaten the poison mate and scurried off somewhere to snuff it. Yer right, traps are pash, they never seem to work.

Guessing you live in a block of flats, then probably everyone has them. Also, exterminators will prob just put down poison and charge you a packet for the priviledge. Give ra Cooncil a shout and they might have more of an idea.

Cheers.

I find melting the chocolate on to the trap works best. A good success rate for me when I occasionally get them coming in at harvest time from the field out the back.

I've never met a mouse yet that didn't like chocolate. :eek:

How many traps did you set? I've only got a couple. think I'm going to absolute cover the flat in them next week.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Dude, its been a year and the problems got worse. Honestly, mice are disgusting disease ridden vermin. I'd rather have a Hibby in my flat!

I know mate, disgusting wee barstards.

I've had them and a cat is the only thing that really does the trick.

They come in cycles apparently so you will think you have got rid of the feckers and then they are back. :sad:

How many traps did you set? I've only got a couple. think I'm going to absolute cover the flat in them next week.

I generally get them in tha garage or attic occasionally. A couple along the walls do the trick for me.

I have heard that the smell of rat faeces scares them off for obvious reasons but it could be hard to get some. However, that's probably a last resort. :rolleyes:

They come in cycles apparently so you will think you have got rid of the feckers and then they are back. :sad:

The problem was nowhere near as bad in winter. Past month or two has been murder, so cycle thing is obviously true.

I generally get them in tha garage or attic occasionally. A couple along the walls do the trick for me.

I have heard that the smell of rat faeces scares them off for obvious reasons but it could be hard to get some. However, that's probably a last resort. :rolleyes:

So, I'm to get rats in to get rid of the mice. Hmmmmm.

since they keep coming back have you ever thought of running a hoover over once in a while ;)

seriously though in my experience use chocolate and proper mouse traps. The type that break necks, none of these humane pish, as they will always find a way back if you release them.

You have to get to the root cause, holes , neighbours have same problem, empty flats. In my shop we use Glue Boards once they run across these thats them stuck and dead after a we while.

Professor.Arturo

They do as well :eek:

mouseonbike.jpg

You have got to use your traps correctly mate. Put then against walls, in between kitchen appliances, in other words the perimeter of the room where they are most common. That's usually the route they walk.

Use NUTTY chocolate. Worked perfectly for me a few years ago.

When you use the expanding foam, use Wire wool through the gap first. This cuts their gums appart if they try and chew through. :D

The most common place they come in are behind kitchen units and cupboards. Check them out and fill any gaps up.

Hope this helps mate.

Chad Sexington

Get the Life of Grime boys from the council in mate.

It costs ?75 or something and they make three visits.

They are superb. They'll suss out where the mice are getting in straight away. They then lay industrial strength poison...you cant buy this stuff at B&Q...and by the third visit you should be vermin free.

I was absolutely infested in my last flat. They were feasting on my guinea pigs feed and I could have made a fur coat from the pelts of the mice I killed. It was only when I got environmental health involved that the problem was sorted.

i used mars bar. had a problems and spoke to a bloke that worked for renotkil, he said that or similar was best, sticky sweet. you probably see them converging around one main bit, it'll be where they think the food is. put it there and sit back.

i've used one of these sonic/ultrasonic devices and not had them back for a year. touch wood

best trick is to get a big pack of light bulbs. Stick them in a dish / tray with a towel over them and then stand on it till they are smashed into lots of fine little shards. sprinkle the glass splinters near any holes and round your skirting. They wont be back soon.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Rat Pi55 works a treat

My mate got me some from his rats and I never saw mice again

Response of mice to rats

Rat odor is stressful to mice and has an effect on their behavior and reproduction. In fact, rat odor is sometimes used as a predator odor to study anxiety and antipredator behavior in mice.

Specifically, domestic and wild-stock mice who are exposed to a conscious or anesthetized rat tend to flee, and if prevented from fleeing, they show defensive or attack behavior (Griebel et al. 1995, Blanchard et al. 1998).

Mice housed in the same room as rats tend to be more stressed than mice housed without rats (Calvo-Torrent et al. 1999). Mice who can smell rat urine take ten times longer to start eating a treat than mice who cannot (Merali et al 2003). Mice who were exposed to rat urine for just a few minutes startle more afterwards, even up to two days after the rat urine exposure (Hebb et al. 2003). Pregnant mice exposed to rat urine produce fewer litters than mice who were not exposed (de Catanzaro 1988).

http://www.ratbehavior.org/RatsMice.htm

I've lived at 2 addresses over the last 20 years, and I've only ever had to trap and kill once mouse.

But they were a regular pest in the house where I grew up.

I've lived at 2 addresses over the last 20 years, and I've only ever had to trap and kill once mouse.

But they were a regular pest in the house where I grew up.

you never only have one mouse tho', I've found Reeses cups(peanut butter and chocolate) attract the wee ***** to the traps a treat. like someone else says tho clean yer house, make sure theres nowt to eat and they'll soon move of elsewhere

Have you tried peanut butter, ive tried that on the traps and the li'll fokkers took to it straight away...munch....snap... yer teas oot moose!!.

Chad Sexington

For every mouse you see...there are another 4 or 5 living in your house...minimum.

They become sexually mature at between 4-7 weeks.

The average litter is 12 babies.

If you think a little bit of peanut butter on a mousetrap will solve your problem...well good luck with that.

Lotsofmice.jpg

Cat allergies are a myth.

Get a kitten and the problem's solved.

Eh, no they are not. My skin complete breaks out in rash when I'm in their company.

Chad, do you have a number that I could phone for the council and who do I ask for?

Chad Sexington
Eh, no they are not. My skin complete breaks out in rash when I'm in their company.

Chad, do you have a number that I could phone for the council and who do I ask for?

The details are at the bottom of the page mate. They are based at Mortonhall crematorium :eek:

Definitely advise you to give them a call mate. They were superb with me.

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/internet/Environment/Environmental_health/Pests_and_nuisance/CEC_pest_control_services

We had the council pest control in the other week due to a squirrel family living in the attic! They were good but keep on at the council, my mum phoned and they told her she was on the 8 week list and someone would get back to her in that time....when they didnt she phoned back and they said that the paper work had gone missing so they put her back on the 8 week list...! They did the 3 visits and the squirrels not been back...cost ?169 but at least i get sleep now.

P.S I can lend you my cat, she has just had a haircut so should not be a problem for your allergies

For every mouse you see...there are another 4 or 5 living in your house...minimum.

They become sexually mature at between 4-7 weeks.

The average litter is 12 babies.

If you think a little bit of peanut butter on a mousetrap will solve your problem...well good luck with that.

Lotsofmice.jpg

My favourite thing about mice is that they don't have a sphincter on their bladder so they constantly leak urine.

Nice.

My favourite thing about mice is that they don't have a sphincter on their bladder so they constantly leak urine.

Nice.

You've still got that to look forward to.... :cool_shades:

We got shot of about a dozen mice (that we saw) with the following steps:

- Blocked the air vents with wire wool. Air still flows but the wee ******** can't get in.

- We used those black plastic humane tilt-traps laced with peanut butter, which has sufficient odour to attract the mice.

- Laid down two traps in the attic, three in the kitchen and one in the spare room.

- Caught three in one night and a dozen in total. took them a loooooong way away from the house to set them free, suspect they became owl fodder in due course.

No trouble for a couple of years now (fingers crossed).

We got shot of about a dozen mice (that we saw) with the following steps:

- Blocked the air vents with wire wool. Air still flows but the wee ******** can't get in.

- We used those black plastic humane tilt-traps laced with peanut butter, which has sufficient odour to attract the mice.

- Laid down two traps in the attic, three in the kitchen and one in the spare room.

- Caught three in one night and a dozen in total. took them a loooooong way away from the house to set them free, suspect they became owl fodder in due course.

No trouble for a couple of years now (fingers crossed).

Pussy ;)

When I had them at the flat (before glass shards, traps and poison eventually saw them off)...

I killed one with a hoover extension. I felt like a champion actually managing to hit the wee bast*rd over the head as they are fast wee blighters.

and another by trapping it in a upturned pint glass and gassing it with an aerosole can, it went out on a high.

Pussy ;)

When I had them at the flat (before glass shards, traps and poison eventually saw them off)...

I killed one with a hoover extension. I felt like a champion actually managing to hit the wee bast*rd over the head as they are fast wee blighters.

and another by trapping it in a upturned pint glass and gassing it with an aerosole can, it went out on a high.

LMFAO!! :rofl:

10/10 for imagination.

When I caught one in a live trap I just chucked the trap in the sink and drowned the wee fecker.

I also caught a live one in a cornflakes packet so I just took the whole packet outside and flattened it.

When I worked in a chippie a few years ago I notched up quite a few kills. Mostly with a brush/dustpan/mop.

I also managed to get one with a high pressure hose which was fun.

Peanut butter does the trick for bait. The sticky pads are pretty effective, but the key is finding the holes and also not leaving any food out for them at all.

Had problems with them last year for months drives you daft had 10 traps out caught a few .Got in a pest controller and it stopped only one in the last 9 months .caught a few with tails or feet in traps alive they didnt last long swift brick then death.

We had them in Wardlaw Place. Went to the pest control place and when we told them the street the guy immediately guessed the number, coz that many of our neighbours had already been to him, once one flat in a tenement gets them it's pretty sure the others will too. We put poison down that the guy tried to tell me was 'kinder' because the mouse would eat it then go to its wee nest and die (probably just trying to make me not feel as guilty, probably still a horrible death!) but I was a bit concerned about that because I didn't much fancy having a bunch of dead animals behind the skirting board! Never found any dead ones, but blocked up the bit we thought they were coming in at and never had any problem with them again.

Laurie could tell you about his experience of catching them in plastic bags and jumping on them. Just don't make the mistake of looking in the bag afterwards....!

Stayed out of town when I was younger and we had field mice in the house all the time.

We used to shoot them with an air rifle loaded with darts. Never made any difference to the numbers but it was feckin great if you hit one of the little bastuds

Cat is the only 100% answer I'm aware of. Has to be a proper hunter though. "Not some fat lazy hairy one who lies on the couch all day and only moves to go for a pesh or to have its dinner ".

My Mrs says that reminds her of someone ????

:eek:My god , you really must be desperate to make a statement as strong as that.:shocked666:

I love all the ads at the bottom of the page advertising ways of eradicating the wee sods.Totally hilarious, but probably the last type of thing the OP probably wants to see, keeping on reminding them of the wee sods.

Sydney from Sydney
The problem was nowhere near as bad in winter. Past month or two has been murder, so cycle thing is obviously true.

So, I'm to get rats in to get rid of the mice. Hmmmmm.

And if the rats refuse to leave, I'd consider a Jack Russel. And if he refuse to leave, I'd consider............!!!!!

If you pass the zoo on the way home from the pub, just nip in and steal a lion.

Once you've starved it for a few days those mice won't know what's hit them.

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

i'm a plumber and heating engineer so more often than not im under floorboards and see hundreds of the wee peckers and i just go for the old over the head with a hammer, works a treat

Archived