Was this the finest football ever?

The People's Chimp

I had the street version of the Tango for what seemed like years. It looked the same but was made of rubbery material instead of leather. A sad day when it eventually burst.

Always liked the 1980 ball they used in England the one with the red stripe; I think that was the one Justin Fashanu arrowed beyond Clemence to the chorus of "John Bond Out, John Bond Out, Cheers."

In Edinburgh (Southside) we used to call a large grey (after losing the waterproof covering) leather ball 'a filly' (sp?). Anyone else use this word? These balls lasted years and it was always a heartbreaking moment when the stitching finally surrendered and a large orange bump appeared. Prognosis:terminal. You had to resort to the fly-away type.:(

Loved the Tango Mexico 86 edition. As for the mouldmaster, my leg has started throbbing just at the memory of cold winter mornings at Liberton Rec getting whacked with that child maiming ball:eek::eek:

I'm with the OP on this one.

Adidas Tango, greatest fitba ever.

Never owned one, think a subbuteo baw was about the closest I got.

Remember the Mitre Multiplex from back in the day? Responsible for a few skin grafts in it's time i'm sure. No pain like a multiplex skelping off yer leg on a cold saturday morning, not many survived gettin one of those in the chops, ouch!

I'm with the OP on this one.

Adidas Tango, greatest fitba ever.

Never owned one, think a subbuteo baw was about the closest I got.

Remember the Mitre Multiplex from back in the day? Responsible for a few skin grafts in it's time i'm sure. No pain like a multiplex skelping off yer leg on a cold saturday morning, not many survived gettin one of those in the chops, ouch!

There were a few such instruments of winter torture: Mouldmaster, Wembley, and even a Captain's Ball could wreak havoc at short-range. One of those point-blank, on the inside of the thighs on a frosty day, and it was goodnight Vienna. Tullberg doesn't even know what a thigh injury is.

The People's Chimp
There were a few such instruments of winter torture: Mouldmaster, Wembley, and even a Captain's Ball could wreak havoc at short-range. One of those point-blank, on the inside of the thighs on a frosty day, and it was goodnight Vienna. Tullberg doesn't even know what a thigh injury is.

So true. A total dinger on the thigh on a frosty december morning, when you were rocking the grey school shorts, was enough to have you rolling about on the deck as if klinnsman had actually been shot. :eek:

Got whacked on the ear by a mouldmaster whilst playing football at PE. It was freezing so my ears were already red raw then that bloody thing, which wasn't a proper football in my view, cannoned off the side of my head by someone taking a shot a goal using a............................TOEPUNT!!! Illegal! It's the unspoken rule of the school playground that toepunts are not allowed! Everyone knows that! Can't remember the bloke-who-kicked-like-a-girl was but I actually saw stars and my ear felt like 1000 wasps were stinging it at once.

Anyway, with regard to the OP, yes the Tango is indeed without question the coolest and best football of all time. End of, girlfriend.

Archived