advice please

Muppetboy

im hoping to get some advice regarding an incident that happened at my work. if there is anyone who has some knowledge of the legal system and the course of action that is open to me, then i would appreciate any input they can offer.

i work as a recreation assistant, and part of my job involves running youth clubs in the community. whilst i was working in the centre where the youth club is run, there was a gathering of kids outside playing around with skateboards, bikes etc. having recently bought a nice new car, i was concerned that an incident may occur and my car may get damaged. i put this out of my head until an hour or so later when i child came to me and said someones car had been hit by a child on their bike. to my horror, it was my vehicle that had been dented.

anyway, to cut a long story short, i found out who the perpetrator was and sought his number, which i managed to do. i called his parents but have been told in no uncertain terms they are unwilling to pay for the damage, which should roughly cost 200 pounds. to me, if my child had caused damage to someone elses property i would feel obligated to pay for any repairs etc. this situation is annoying from a moral standpoint more than from a financial point of view, although i cannot really afford the repair costs at this time. any advice would be gratefully welcomed.

I'm afraid I ain't no expert but...........

If your the law abiding forgiving type - let it go unless you've got witnesses etc can hand it over to your insurance company to deal with.

Regardless, you might just have to put it down to experience, think how you could have handled it better and move on. Be wary though, by challenging the kids and then been "put in your place" by the parents, you might just have set yourself up as a target (at least at work) - maybe best to park the car a bit out of the way or use public transport for a while. The dark nights are coming in as well - you need to keep that in mind.

ToadKiller Dog

Were you parked on the street or the community centres carpark? ,i would ask if in a car park if the councils(or who runs it) insurance covers it.

but was your car deliberately damaged or an accident ,did you report it to the police for insurance claims i think you have too.

Doctor FinnBarr
im hoping to get some advice regarding an incident that happened at my work. if there is anyone who has some knowledge of the legal system and the course of action that is open to me, then i would appreciate any input they can offer.

i work as a recreation assistant, and part of my job involves running youth clubs in the community. whilst i was working in the centre where the youth club is run, there was a gathering of kids outside playing around with skateboards, bikes etc. having recently bought a nice new car, i was concerned that an incident may occur and my car may get damaged. i put this out of my head until an hour or so later when i child came to me and said someones car had been hit by a child on their bike. to my horror, it was my vehicle that had been dented.

anyway, to cut a long story short, i found out who the perpetrator was and sought his number, which i managed to do. i called his parents but have been told in no uncertain terms they are unwilling to pay for the damage, which should roughly cost 200 pounds. to me, if my child had caused damage to someone elses property i would feel obligated to pay for any repairs etc. this situation is annoying from a moral standpoint more than from a financial point of view, although i cannot really afford the repair costs at this time. any advice would be gratefully welcomed.

Morally, the parents should stump up, legally, they don't have too!

The laws an ass!

:mad:

I'm no legal eagle either but I think you would have to prove negligence on the part of the guilty party - if you're thinking about going to court. You'll have a hard job proving that. Accidental damage isn't criminal damage so you'll have to claim on your insurance.

Unfortunately , I don't think you've got much of a chance.

Shirley a no brainer...report the incident to the police and make a claim on your insurance. You apparently know exactly what happened, and you are clearly not going to get any money by asking the parents nicely, so you simply have to report it, and see what happens with your insurance claim.

thanks for the responses folks. there were a good number of witnesses who could be contacted if necessary. i have been in contact with the police who say that we have to go through solicitors and raise a civil action. obviously that will incur costs for me, but im more ****ed off at the parents attitude and so i want to see this through and teach them a lesson. hopefully a lawyers letter coming through their letterbox will prompt a turnaround, but i sincerely doubt it.

Miller Jambo 60
thanks for the responses folks. there were a good number of witnesses who could be contacted if necessary. i have been in contact with the police who say that we have to go through solicitors and raise a civil action. obviously that will incur costs for me, but im more ****ed off at the parents attitude and so i want to see this through and teach them a lesson. hopefully a lawyers letter coming through their letterbox will prompt a turnaround, but i sincerely doubt it.

You will never win with some parents.

Their stinking attitude concerning their little angels makes me boke.

My kids are no angels but i always go half way with any incidents that concern them.

I would put this incident behind your-self as your only going to get more upset as time goes on.

Doug.

The only winner if you go down the legal route will be the lawyers/solicitors,i have just been through a case chasing money from a company and couldnt believe the legal costs involved.The parents concerned are obviously muppets and would most likely laugh off any letters sent to them,why not smash up their car?:)

Raise a claim in the Small Claims Court. Even if you have to pay your excess why should you? You have witnesses who MAY speak on your behalf so why should this little scrote and his parents get away with damaging your property. The cost of a claim above ?50 is ?44(I stand to be corrected although I think it's correct) which is probably less than your excess. If you can get them to stump up for the entire bill you may not lose your no-claims bonus. The upper limit is now ?3000 in the Small Claims court so go for it and you do not have to involve solicitors. Take photos, get repair quotes, speak to and get statements from the witnesses and do it quickly. You can download the forms from http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk ,go to the local CAB or Trading Standards Dept or the Sheriff Clerk's office as they may have them.

We have a winner. :)

Or alternatively ride your skateboard /tricycle /Massey Ferguson over their schemie stolen M-reg Marina's. Then torch their cave. Hard but fair. Justice .... the good old fashioned way

Archived