Pet Shop Boys

Walter Kidd

Aside from one of them being a very natty well dressed boy, there music in my youth was just fantastic.

Having been off work this week I've been uploading some of my old music onto my new ipod and I have to say there first two albums and Introspective are the stuff of joy.

I love you; you pay my rent.

Nelly Terraces

Totally agree. Their 1st lp is f'ing superb, and in fact I'd say up to 'Very', they also hit the spot in a major fash - 5 goodies on the trot. They were well ahead of their time, and did what most groups can't, be clever, and successful. Never tire of playing their stuff. Plus, they did dress very well for the time (Lowe especially). Also good to see them in recent years hitting out at the kind of utter ***** produced by sad Saturday evening TV 'talent' shows. They care about their pop the PSBs. Top pop.

In a West end town, a dead end world - East End boys, and West End girls.

Cheers.

a young lad on fitba team tried to give me a hard time recently for playing them in my car!

Sooner or later, sooner or later, this happens to everyone

To everyone

Bought Please and was very, er, pleased.

Bought Disco and loved it.

Then all the wannabe tough guys got into the PSB's due to Paninarro and what was once something that I felt was mine was lost to the great unwashed.

Still had respect for them as a band, but their ubiquity turned me off.

Which was a shame.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL
a young lad on fitba team tried to give me a hard time recently for playing them in my car!

Sooner or later, sooner or later, this happens to everyone

To everyone

Fantastic band. Loved everything they didup until Go West really. Not being homophobic but one of the great things about them was thier sexuality never seemed to play much part in thier music. Then it all went a bit camp for me

But little doubt thier first 2 or 3 albums were as good as anyhting about at the time. Them and New Order really seemed to sum up the mid to late 80's for me when everythig else that was coming out at the time was complete toss. Plus both band really embraced house music which emerged at the time. In fact both bands had worked with some pretty influential dance music people (Arthur Baker, John Robie, Shep Pettibone) before most other people (Are you listening Madonna you ****ing Parasite!!!)

I was a fan.

They brought Dusty Springfield to my attention as a teenager for which I'm eternally grateful.

Loved their videos and cover art.

They didn't tour, did they? IIRC I was gutted they didn't play live and by the time they did, it was all pointy hats and costumes and weren't relevant to my taste at the time at all.

The 80's was a very cool decade IMO.

I remember getting a tape (remember those!) of all there 12"s up to about 1990 and some of them were immense.

Chris Lowe could really teach a few DJ/producers out the now how to really remix a tune.

ROCK ON FREDDIE!!:toasting:

Lynn:ninja:

Ach what do you Ken...You're aye peshed on that Saki stuff. You probably do think that Freaky Mercury was good!! :P

I HONESTLY HATE Freaky Mercury and his over rated band!! :mad:

I honestly don't know why, it's Just one of those things!!

Say What Again
Then all the wannabe tough guys got into the PSB's due to Paninarro and what was once something that I felt was mine was lost to the great unwashed.

The first live band I ever saw, Glasgow approx 1990.

The gig was marred by the folk you mention jumping about/into everyone shouting 'PANINARRO' in between every song. :(

J.T.F.Robertson
I was a fan.

They brought Dusty Springfield to my attention as a teenager for which I'm eternally grateful.

Loved their videos and cover art.

They didn't tour, did they? IIRC I was gutted they didn't play live and by the time they did, it was all pointy hats and costumes and weren't relevant to my taste at the time at all.

The 80's was a very cool decade IMO.

I was about to mention Dusty. Not only were "the boys" class, they also appreciated it.

I was about to mention Dusty. Not only were "the boys" class, they also appreciated it.

Pet Shop Boys, like The Beautiful South, are vastly under-rated.

Mixed. The music wasn't really to my taste by I appreciated Tennant's droll vocal, his lyrics and his way with a song title (almost as good as Moz). I got caught up in the hype and bought 'Please'. I liked it for a while but soon tired of it so gave it to my sister. So I don't mind them that much.

However, I did wish death upon them when they kept The Pogues from getting to number one. It wouldn't have been so bad if it had been one of their own songs but it was one of the worst cover versions ever. Neil Tennant

said he didn't even like Elvis. So why cover it then? Went right off them after that.

Say What Again
Pet Shop Boys, like The Beautiful South, are vastly under-rated.

It is impossible for me to ever like the Beautiful South after an ex of mine played 'Blue Is the Colour' constantly. Over and over and over.

Oddly enough, another female acquaintance did the same thing with The Strokes 'Is This It?' but I was only shagging her so it didn't put me off them.

Interesting how situations differ eh? :P

Nelly Terraces

Spot on. Working with DS was brilliant. Stuck a load of their stuff on last night after tis thread, just forgot actually how good they were, the 1st 4 lp's are f'ing amazing. Who said Chris Lowe could teach a few of todays producers a thing or 2? Absolutley. Top band, top blokes.

I love going over old albums and finding the gold dust tracks that were never singles.

Had a top week this week in between messing about with my lad, playing old tunes and decorating a new nursery.

Mrs still says my taste in music is gash. What would she know though eh!

I love going over old albums and finding the gold dust tracks that were never singles.

Did this recently with my Simple Minds stuff.

New Gold Dream is a genius album.

Nelly Terraces

Simple Minds 1st lp, 'Life in a Day' is bloody Marvellous.

'Chelsea Girl' etc, great post punk synth pop.

Think they went a bit tossy after that.

Simple Minds 1st lp, 'Life in a Day' is bloody Marvellous.

'Chelsea Girl' etc, great post punk synth pop.

Think they went a bit tossy after that.

Agree with your first two comments, Life in a Day & Chelsea Girl are two of my favourite Simple Minds songs along with Film Theme, I Travel, but have to say that NGD is a top, top album.

Once upon a time c.1985 is an album by a band on the slide artistically, but ironically not commercially.

Nelly Terraces
Agree with your first two comments, Life in a Day & Chelsea Girl are two of my favourite Simple Minds songs along with Film Theme, I Travel, but have to say that NGD is a top, top album.

Once upon a time c.1985 is an album by a band on the slide artistically, but ironically not commercially.

'Promised you a Miracle' is a great tune Boris, I forgot about that one.

Do you think Radio 2 will need someone to get up on a Saturday morning in 20 years time to host "Sounds of the 80's"? :rolleyes:

Nelly Terraces
Do you think Radio 2 will need someone to get up on a Saturday morning in 20 years time to host "Sounds of the 80's"? :rolleyes:

Heh, heh, probably. Me and You can be the Smashy and Nicey of the 2020's!

"OK, all you pensioner pop-pickers out there in radioland, here's one from back in the day from Landscape!"

"Einstein a go-go mate!"

"You betcha mate - let's synth!"

Neil Tennant wanted everyone to go into the record shop and say "can I have the new album by the Pet Shop Boys, Please" ...

I like everything up to introspective.

Everything since then passed me by ...

I lost my virginity to New Gold Dream. To someone, somewhere in Summertime.

Wonderful stuff although, American is my favourite. I saw Simple Minds in that nightclub above the Playhouse in the early 80's. Good band who blew it chasing U2's coat tails.

Not being homophobic but one of the great things about them was thier sexuality never seemed to play much part in thier music. Then it all went a bit camp for me

not saying for one minute you're being homophobic BUT you know what the song "rent" was about??

think it was their first, maybe 2nd album, that it was on

loved the pet shop boys when i was growing up, and loved the dry, non singing style of neil tennant, and though lowe was great.

remember, neil tennant knew his pop music though cos he WAS the editor of smash hits for a while.

good band who never took themselves as seriously as they seemed to. proper good pop music.

RIP proper good pop music cos there really isn't enough of it about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZvXseMZ70Q

When I was a nipper - alright 16 then - there used to be a venue on St. Stephens street called Tiffanys. One of my first jobs was wheeling amps around in there - my mate's Dad ran the Quarter Gill at the top of Leith Walk and he was friends with the guy that ran the place. They paid me like zero cash but I got to see just a brilliant load of bands - everyone from Elvis Costello just after "My Aim is True" through the Adverts, Zones - remember them???, Rezillos and my first gig there was - Slaughter and the Dogs!!. Fell in love with Simple Minds when I saw them...I know "the early stuff" is a right cliche but in their case, it's just so true.

heaven, did that become cindarellas???

i used to love cinderellas when i was 16!

then it shut down :(

south morocco

nut ,it was tiffanys before cinders ,i used to go to cinderellas on a sunday night 50p a pint,!ye cannae beat that

nut ,it was tiffanys before cinders ,i used to go to cinderellas on a sunday night 50p a pint,!ye cannae beat that

read what i said ya dafty...

i said did it BECOME cinders, not was it before then

how old do you think i am?? :rofl:

south morocco
When I was a nipper - alright 16 then - there used to be a venue on St. Stephens street called Tiffanys. One of my first jobs was wheeling amps around in there - my mate's Dad ran the Quarter Gill at the top of Leith Walk and he was friends with the guy that ran the place. They paid me like zero cash but I got to see just a brilliant load of bands - everyone from Elvis Costello just after "My Aim is True" through the Adverts, Zones - remember them???, Rezillos and my first gig there was - Slaughter and the Dogs!!. Fell in love with Simple Minds when I saw them...I know "the early stuff" is a right cliche but in their case, it's just so true.

Gee man ,i never read the whole thread before i answered bev,but my dad was a the bass player in there in the 70's,in the band of gold ,my ma also worked there in the office,circa 1977/8

That's the one I think - just up the road from the Antiquary. They kept getting new management and changing their name to appeal to "a different clientele." Shame really as it was the end of a top ligging experience for me. It was hilarious decor - all kind of sub-Hawaii serving sheite food and pints of Malibu. Strangely, they came round to the conclusion that Slaughter and the Dogs were maybe not the ideal attraction - they were trying to drag in the Clouds people if you remember that and failing miserably. I loved Clouds. Saw the Jam there on the "In the City" tour and it was a real favourite place of Joe Strummer's. Can't really get a finer recommendation than that.

Oh and HMFC were quite rubbish then as well!

Happy days...:)

south morocco
read what i said ya dafty...

i said did it BECOME cinders, not was it before then

how old do you think i am?? :rofl:

sorry bev ,i jumped the gun!

south morocco
That's the one I think - just up the road from the Antiquary. They kept getting new management and changing their name to appeal to "a different clientele." Shame really as it was the end of a top ligging experience for me. It was hilarious decor - all kind of sub-Hawaii serving sheite food and pints of Malibu. Strangely, they came round to the conclusion that Slaughter and the Dogs were maybe not the ideal attraction - they were trying to drag in the Clouds people if you remember that and failing miserably. I loved Clouds. Saw the Jam there on the "In the City" tour and it was a real favourite place of Joe Strummer's. Can't really get a finer recommendation than that.

Oh and HMFC were quite rubbish then as well!

Happy days...:)

Its funny ,but as a child i thought it was quite a cool place,obviousy you as a teenager never, ps,i would loved to have seen the jam live ,then

Its funny ,but as a child i thought it was quite a cool place,obviousy you as a teenager never, ps,i would loved to have seen the jam live ,then

It's about the only good thing about getting old. You can bore everyone by saying "oh yeah, I saw them." Works back home but unfortunately doesn't cut much ice out here...

south morocco
Very mysterious :)

It was cinderella rockerfella when it burnt doon,not tiffanys,was the owner guy you knew called ken smith?

Gee man ,i never read the whole thread before i answered bev,but my dad was a the bass player in there in the 70's,in the band of gold ,my ma also worked there in the office,circa 1977/8

sorry old bean, but that was 10 years before i went, so i don't remember any bands, just the good old fire island music they would play

oh i loved modern talking & jackie rawe....

It was cinderella rockerfella when it burnt doon,not tiffanys,was the owner guy you knew called ken smith?

I'd forgotten the Rockerfella bit..hilarious! My time was the "Management" before.

My mates family were from Corstorphine and his Dad was the greatest living advert for "never wear a headpiece." Used to turn up at these functions with grey sideburns and this horrendous orange thing stuck on top. As the night wore on, he'd start sweating buckets and the thing started listing to the side. Difficult to keep a straight face....

south morocco
I'd forgotten the Rockerfella bit..hilarious! My time was the "Management" before.

My mates family were from Corstorphine and his Dad was the greatest living advert for "never wear a headpiece." Used to turn up at these functions with grey sideburns and this horrendous orange thing stuck on top. As the night wore on, he'd start sweating buckets and the thing started listing to the side. Difficult to keep a straight face....

aye if he had thick rimmed square glasses its the same bloke

Archived