Addicted to Chili

The People's Chimp

The People's Chimp

Anyone else got this problem? I hesitate to call it a problem, really, but I cook up a massive pot of chilli just about every week; a heap of onions, 3 or 4 chillis, at least 4 or 5 peppers, steak mince, 3 tins of tomatoes, wine and dark chocolate with all the usual chilli powder, cumin, pa****a, garlic and the occasional tweak such as a splash of JD poured on and then flamed off.

I used to have a thing for curries, but right now, I just can't get enough of that super hot, slow burning chilli.

Anyone else got this problem? I hesitate to call it a problem, really, but I cook up a massive pot of chilli just about every week; a heap of onions, 3 or 4 chillis, at least 4 or 5 peppers, steak mince, 3 tins of tomatoes, wine and dark chocolate with all the usual chilli powder, cumin, pa****a, garlic and the occasional tweak such as a splash of JD poured on and then flamed off.

I used to have a thing for curries, but right now, I just can't get enough of that super hot, slow burning chilli.

During the summer because I have been working odd hours and getting in late I have pretty much done the same.

Made a big pot of Chillie every week and had plates of the stuff at least a couple of nights a week when I come home from work.

I absolutely love the stuff.

Chilli is awesome

Making a big pot is great as its so versatile! First night, chilli with rice. Next lunch, chilli with a baked tattie, then my personal favourite, chilli nachos, with sour cream, jalapenos and cheese :dribble:

i love chilli

i make it differently every time, depending on my mood too. especially great in winter though. proper good comfort food, and so easy to make

Get yourself some of that smoked pa****a from Lupe Pintos! You won't look back...

I have to admit having a fetish for green jalapenos ;)

Someone dared me to eat half a jar of them for a tenner....

...yes I did it :)

Daydream Believer

Never tried it with chocolate in it but I might give it a bash. I've got some chocolate with chillis in it already just now.

I used to cheat and use a jar of chili sauce but then I bought some chilli sauces at the farmers market. They're called "trees can't dance" and they're great.

What kind of chocolate do you use? Darker the better?

The People's Chimp
Never tried it with chocolate in it but I might give it a bash. I've got some chocolate with chillis in it already just now.

I used to cheat and use a jar of chili sauce but then I bought some chilli sauces at the farmers market. They're called "trees can't dance" and they're great.

What kind of chocolate do you use? Darker the better?

Aye, pretty much. It gives it a really rich flavour.

tommythejambo

I'm the same. Used to like the odd kebab meat pizza with about half a jar on them from my local chippy...Top drawer.

Chilli is awesome aswell, the hotter the better.

That's kids stuff, I would have eaten the whole jar!

I'm a total spice junky, I'll spice up just about anything and love my hot food. The bird likes her food with a wee kick sometimes, but I always serve mine up second so that I can add extra chillis.

If you can eat it with your shirt on and the windows closed then it's not hot enough!

Favourite meal is chilli.

However, they make a chilli salsa type thing here that is basically ground african chillies mixes with garlic. Blows the tits off you. I cannot eat a meal without it now. Funnily enough it seems to constipate rather than give the tom tits. Weird stuff.

Say What Again
I also love chilli, Favourite is with rice but it goes with anything!

After the first serving, when I still have a stack left over, I just heap it over a pile of nachos as I'm too lazy to wait on the rice. :P

JamboBannon10

I love chilli myself but am not so good a cook! so whenever im making it i cheat with the jar of sauce, can folk recommend different recipies for making it yourself? i reckon some folk will have a few interesting ones

I'm growing 5 types of Chillies in my greenhouse. Anybody know anything about hungarian hot wax chillies they seem to be growing best?!

J.T.F.Robertson
That's kids stuff, I would have eaten the whole jar!

I'm a total spice junky, I'll spice up just about anything and love my hot food. The bird likes her food with a wee kick sometimes, but I always serve mine up second so that I can add extra chillis.

If you can eat it with your shirt on and the windows closed then it's not hot enough!

Me too. I stick jalapenos, banana peppers, or crushed chillis on just about everything. (not all at the same time, mind you :o)

Say What Again
does anyone love having chilli with toast? :confused:

That's option 2 after option 1 (nachos) I posted above.

EVERYTHING goes on toast. Chilli/mince/bolognese especially.

Feck I'm starving now. Toast it shall be but it'll have to be with sardines. :thumb:

That's option 2 after option 1 (nachos) I posted above.

EVERYTHING goes on toast. Chilli/mince/bolognese especially.

Feck I'm starving now. Toast it shall be but it'll have to be with sardines. :thumb:

phew thought it was just me! bolognese is also a favourite.

Toast> rice

Doctor FinnBarr

I was just about to offer 2 jars of "Ring Sting Radishes" to anyone who wanted them but Nik has just informed me that she chucked them a few days ago because I wouldn't go near them!

:eek:

LOVE chilli.. Im a chef but its not something that would be on our menu :sad: I do still however manage to eat tons of it.. From chilli nachos to a heap of chilli over 2 baked tatties -Cannot beat it!!!

The People's Chimp
I love chilli myself but am not so good a cook! so whenever im making it i cheat with the jar of sauce, can folk recommend different recipies for making it yourself? i reckon some folk will have a few interesting ones

2 onions, chopped

3-5 peppers, red, green, orange or yellow

garlic, amount according to taste

2-3 chillies (more if you want it hotter)

mince

2 tins kidney beans

2 or 3 tins tomatoes

dark chocolate

fry off your onions, chillies and chopped peppers in a pan, until they soften, take them out and put in your mince and brown it off with a touch of salt and pepper and if you want let it slightly burn for a bit of caramelisation, splash on some jack daniels and then flame it off (this is entirely optional), then grate in some garlic, let it heat for a few secs then throw it in a big pot with your onions, peppers and tomatoes.

At this point put your kidney beans in another small pot and put on a low heat so they dont start boiling like crazy. you just want to soften them off. If you put them in your chilli straight away they might not soften (due to Ph apparently).

Now you have your chilli going, splash in some red wine, as much as you want really, but don't be stingy. Then add you chilli powder, put in quite a bit. I never measure it out but i'd say maybe two tablespoons. then put in maybe one and a half tablespoons of cumin, a similar amount of pa****a (preferrably smoked), again a similar amount of cayenne pepper. add a touch of sugar, maybe a half teaspoon to take out any bitterness from the tomato seeds. I always put in a lot more spice than this, and maybe more chillies, but i like it hot.

Some people might put in some herbs, like oregano, or some hot sauce such as "dave's insanity hot sauce" but it's all down to personal preference. I like putting in a lot of peppers but some people don't add any.

Anyway, as it's heating off, for say a half hour anyway, your kidney beans will soften. When they're soft, drain and fire into the pot. At this stage get your dark chocolate - as much as you want, but at least 4 cubes from a typical packet - and throw it in.

Let it heat a bit more and you're ready to go.

That's a basic recipe, but with room for any number of tweaks, additions and so on. You can make it much hotter, or not, more chocolate, or none, or with steak rather than mince etc. I like a bit of red wine in for a rich flavour along with the chocolate, while the peppers keep it tasting fresh, along with a heap of chillies.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 onions, chopped

mince

2 tins kidney beans

2 or 3 tins tomatoes

dark chocolate

fry off your onions, chillies and chopped peppers in a pan, until they soften, take them out and put in your mince and brown it off with a touch of salt and pepper and if you want let it slightly burn for a bit of caramelisation, splash on some jack daniels and then flame it off (this is entirely optional), then grate in some garlic, let it heat for a few secs then throw it in a big pot with your onions, peppers and tomatoes.

At this point put your kidney beans in another small pot and put on a low heat so they dont start boiling like crazy. you just want to soften them off. If you put them in your chilli straight away they might not soften (due to Ph apparently).

Now you have your chilli going, splash in some red wine, as much as you want really, but don't be stingy. Then add you chilli powder, put in quite a bit. I never measure it out but i'd say maybe two tablespoons. then put in maybe one and a half tablespoons of cumin, a similar amount of pa****a (preferrably smoked), again a similar amount of cayenne pepper. add a touch of sugar, maybe a half teaspoon to take out any bitterness from the tomato seeds. I always put in a lot more spice than this, and maybe more chillies, but i like it hot.

Some people might put in some herbs, like oregano, or some hot sauce such as "dave's insanity hot sauce" but it's all down to personal preference. I like putting in a lot of peppers but some people don't add any.

Anyway, as it's heating off, for say a half hour anyway, your kidney beans will soften. When they're soft, drain and fire into the pot. At this stage get your dark chocolate - as much as you want, but at least 4 cubes from a typical packet - and throw it in.

That's a basic recipe, but with room for any number of tweaks, additions and so on. You can make it much hotter, or not, more chocolate, or none, or with steak rather than mince etc. I like a bit of red wine in for a rich flavour along with the chocolate, while the peppers keep it tasting fresh, along with a heap of chillies.

Chocolate, really?

:confused:

Malcolm Tucker
2 onions, chopped

mince

2 tins kidney beans

2 or 3 tins tomatoes

dark chocolate

Seeing as I do nothing now I've left school I think I may give this a bash tomorrow! Seems really simple to make so hopefully I don't balls it up:o

I'm assuming you brown the mince off slightly before throwing in the onions etc?

I also loooove chilli by the way:)

Seeing as I do nothing now I've left school I think I may give this a bash tomorrow! Seems really simple to make so hopefully I don't balls it up:o

I'm assuming you brown the mince off slightly before throwing in the onions etc?

I also loooove chilli by the way:)

That's basically how I make it, although I can't be bothered with multiple pots, so soften the onions first, before adding garlic and mince at about same time then brown the mince

P.S. chilli with toast is brilliant for lunch!

heartgarfunkel

Can only add to the chilli appreciation. Magic with tacos, grated cheese, bit of lettuce, guacamole, salsa and sour cream. Plus tonnes of bevvy, preferably a 14% robust red and nearly freezing quality lager.

Try not using mince for a change but some finely chopped stewing steak. Cut it into slim strips. Makes a real difference to a familiar dish.

Sterling Archer
Chocolate, really?

:confused:

has to be dark chocolate but it's perfectly normal! It's used in a lot of savoury dishes in Mexico and south America. Pancho villas serves pork with chocolate sauce I think? Someone correct me

If I'm wrong?

has to be dark chocolate but it's perfectly normal! It's used in a lot of savoury dishes in Mexico and south America. Pancho villas serves pork with chocolate sauce I think? Someone correct me

If I'm wrong?

It's called mol? sauce, and it's damn fine.

2 onions, chopped

mince

2 tins kidney beans

2 or 3 tins tomatoes

dark chocolate

Liquidator,

That is either one hell of a hot chilli or maybe you are feeding for about ten. Others might swap tablespoons for teaspoons.

I take it you use the fiery birdseye chillies, seeds an all.

One small point, I think spices whether natural or powdered should be fried rather than boiled so you might be losing a touch in the flavour by adding after the liquids (tinned tomatoes and wine - appreciate the JD has been flambayed (sp?) off)

For the chocolate make sure it is a a very dark, bitter, quality chocolate.

Naturally just a suggestion or two and in no way guaranteed to improve the flavour.

The People's Chimp
Liquidator,

That is either one hell of a hot chilli or maybe you are feeding for about ten. Others might swap tablespoons for teaspoons.

One small point, I think spices whether natural or powdered should be fried rather than boiled so you might be losing a touch in the flavour by adding after the liquids (tinned tomatoes and wine - appreciate the JD has been flambayed (sp?) off)

Naturally just a suggestion or two and in no way guaranteed to improve the flavour.

aye it is pretty hot :)

but i do also cook a big pot. I made some on tuesday and fed 5, and had a wee drop left for my tea last night. Looking back I added most of the spice before i threw in the tomatoes, then added more once i'd done that. But you're right I think about frying.

Liquidator,

aye it is pretty hot :)

but i do also cook a big pot. I made some on tuesday and fed 5, and had a wee drop left for my tea last night. Looking back I added most of the spice before i threw in the tomatoes, then added more once i'd done that. But you're right I think about frying.

Missed that bit! I agree about frying the spices - definately adds more flavour. I add them to the mince, once its browned, and fry for a couple of mins before adding tomatoes etc.

Spice quantities must make it very hot! I don't really measure it, as I have got used to adding a certain amount, and it is all down to taste. I would probably recommend using about 1-1 1/2 teaspoons of each spice for about 500g mince as a starting point, then add more as you get more adventurous.

Count me in :thumb:

Have loved chilli since the 70's when I worked as a cook for a while. One twist i was taught was to slosh in a bit of vinegar after you've fried off the onions, chillis, garlic and spices and then add the meat and tomatoes and stock.

Nowadays i like to add a few birdseyes as chilli bullets but I de-seed them first.

I've recently taken to using the end of a roast beef joint, finely chopped instead of mince. Made a pot late last night but ate out tonight so can't wait till tomorrow.

I'll definitely be trying the chocolate thing!!

Say What Again
One twist i was taught was to slosh in a bit of vinegar after you've fried off the onions, chillis, garlic and spices and then add the meat and tomatoes and stock.

A mate of mine shared a flat with a chef (a decent chef) and his 'secret' was brown sugar. Sprinkled into the pot with 10 mins to go.

I do it now like I'm Gordon Ramsey :P

Cardiac Rucksack

Another member of the chilli club here. I like it with a big dollop of sour cream on top. Excellent.

Also, roughly how much mince should I use if I'm following Liquidator's guidelines?

You don't need loads of meat in a chilli..... about 1lb mince for Liquidator's recipe I'd say. Pesonal preferences though :)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Love a good chilli.

I have a good recipe I got from a Lloyd Grossman cookbook, which is supposed to be from an American Chilli Competition

I add beer to mine along with passata and ditch the peppers. (not keen on them)

Smoked pa****a is the bomb in a chilli and the chocolate makes it (I use the 70% stuff)

I've tried it with Turkey mince for a healthy option and its pretty good too

I always try and make it the day before too as it always tastes better second day

Good stuff.

I can't believe that pap-rika falls foul of the swear filter. :)

does scunthorpe fail too?

nope, but theres a very rude word in there.

The People's Chimp
Also, roughly how much mince should I use if I'm following Liquidator's guidelines?

I use about 500g of lean steak mince, although some chilli websites claim you should use normal mince as the fat carries the flavour. I thnk that with industrial amounts of spice and chilli, the flavour will take care of itself. :)

Daydream Believer
does anyone love having chilli with toast? :confused:

i hate rice other than fried rice from the chinese

Haggis on toast!!! awesome.

Doctor FinnBarr

If I'm wrong?

Just seemed a bit strange to me, thats all.

:)

Just made some chilli. Not as cultured as some on hear though, pack of sauce used + a few additions such as some chillis from Turkey and some more hot chilli powder. Will report back on the outcome.

:)

I'm 40 next year and have never tried chilli before.It's those beetle-like beans that put me off.I take it it's just like spicy mince which sounds quite nice.

one thing i don't do is use kidney beans as i hate them. love chilli but spend as much time picking out the beans as i do eating, so i use mushrooms

one thing i tried one night, and it was bloody gorgeous was this

couple of squares of black & greens dark chocolate, a good splodge of honey and a generous splash of jack daniels

oh that was utterly delicious. seriously great!

oh and i echo the chilli on toast thing too

Archived