SNP Councillor shows his kids how to fire a Kalashnikov yet escapes party expulsion

$ilvery_Moon

A Scottish Nationalist Party councillor caught on video firing a Kalashnikov assault rifle in Pakistan has escaped expulsion from his party.

The SNP's disciplinary committee decided not to throw out Jahangir Hanif and instead suspended him for two months.

The investigation into the 46-year-old Glasgow businessman's conduct was launched earlier this month after still images from the video published in a newspaper showed him brandishing the weapon.

It was taken during a trip to Pakistan in 2005 with five of his children.

He also showed his children how to use the gun during the trip into the mountains near the Kashmir border, according to his daughter Noor who was there.

The councillor was immediately suspended after the footage emerged and his party branded his actions "foolish and inappropriate".

Mr Hanif apologised for the incident, pointing out it happened long before he became a councillor.

A hearing of the SNP disciplinary committee in Edinburgh found he had breached party discipline and rules but stopped short of expelling him.

An SNP spokeswoman said: "Suspension from membership of the party is a serious matter, which will stand on Councillor Hanif's record in relation to all future activity.

"It reflects that the committee found him to be guilty of a breach of party discipline and rules. It is of course subject to appeal."

When I was in Latvia last year I went to an underground bunker and had a wee shot of an AK47, an Uzi, a Glock and a **** rifle.

It was great fun.

100's of toffs in the tory party will take their kids pheasant hunting, and not a word will be said. My old man took me clay pigeon shooting when I was 12.

These guns are not illegal in Pakistan so I don't see the difference.

Oh wait, there is one difference. The guy's Asian and we can't be seen to be letting mod edit shoot guns!

Unless there is anything else I'm missing?

When I was in Latvia last year I went to an underground bunker and had a wee shot of an AK47, an Uzi, a Glock and a **** rifle.

It was great fun.

100's of toffs in the tory party will take their kids pheasant hunting, and not a word will be said. My old man took me clay pigeon shooting when I was 12.

Oh wait, there is one difference. The guy's Asian and we can't be seen to be letting mod edit shoot guns!

Unless there is anything else I'm missing?

Mate of mine did it in Vietnam. He blew up a cow using a grenade fired from a grenade launcher and killed a chicken by blasting it to smitherines with a AK47.

Mad world we live in out there !!

heartgarfunkel

Exactly - I must be missing something here. What has he done wrong?

Exactly - I must be missing something here. What has he done wrong?

Nothing that I can see. The story here is that the SNP suspended a man for doing nothing wrong, showing themselves to reactionary, dancing to the tune of the red tops, possibly racist as touched on earlier in the thread.

I'd have it headlined as "SNP persecute their own to keep the Daily Record happy" I would not be criticising the councillor!

Nothing that I can see. The story here is that the SNP suspended a man for doing nothing wrong, showing themselves to reactionary, dancing to the tune of the red tops, possibly racist as touched on earlier in the thread.

I'd have it headlined as "SNP persecute their own to keep the Daily Record happy" I would not be criticising the councillor!

You find the story was exposed by the Glasgow Evening Times. The Record had the story weeks before infact during the Glasgow East by-election and didn't use it.

The reason he was punished is because he did bring the party into disrispute.

However, technically he done nothing wrong - it was before he was a councillor, it was entirely legal. As a previous poster has already mentioned, had it been Tories on an estate up North then nothing would've been said.

The story was leaked by his wife/daughter, they are going through a messy divorce and she appears to exploiting his position as a councillor.

The reason he was punished is because he did bring the party into disrispute.

However, technically he done nothing wrong - it was before he was a councillor, it was entirely legal. As a previous poster has already mentioned, had it been Tories on an estate up North then nothing would've been said.

The story was leaked by his wife/daughter, they are going through a messy divorce and she appears to exploiting his position as a councillor.

If he had not done anything wrong, how was the party brought into disrepute? Scared it was an Al-Qayeda shooting range?

If he had not done anything wrong, how was the party brought into disrepute? Scared it was an Al-Qayeda shooting range?

Technically he done nothing illegal.

I think morally you shouldn't be given deadly weapons to young children and kind of makes a mockary of our hardline stance against guns. That is how he brought the party into disrepute.

Jahinger is a good guy, good councillor and a great campaigner.

I think morally you shouldn't be given deadly weapons to young children and kind of makes a mockary of our hardline stance against guns. That is how he brought the party into disrepute.

By doing something before he was a councillor?

What next, Kenny McKaskill as Justice Secretary to be pulled up for his Wembley arrest and detainment ? Evene although that happen ages ago?

Boris, I suspect it comes under the heading of, is there anything we should know about that the unionist rags can dig up about you if you were elected as an SNP representative. Everyone who goes through the vetting proceeedure to get on the candidate lists is asked. Even if what you did previous to political involvement is legal, it makes sense to have a strategy for dealing with your detractors spinning a negative story. Personally, I feel it is a non story, and having also met Jahangir on many occassions I am disappointed he has been disciplined. However, more than any other Party, the SNP has to be very strict on enforcing discipline, and he has made a mistake if he didn't mention the existence of these photos, if he knew about them.

You find the story was exposed by the Glasgow Evening Times. The Record had the story weeks before infact during the Glasgow East by-election and didn't use it.

I wasn't far off then, both poor Glasgow focused papers that I don't read.

Your morals though. Not everyones. Agree with Upthehill, boy aint done nowt wrong. Glad his party saw sense as he wasnt even a councillor when it happened.

Source: Fat Alex. :o

Archived