Levein or Weir - Who was the better defender whilst at Hearts?

BlackJAC?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

levein for me as well, weir was a good player for hearts, but craig was a class act and for all round ability the finest defender i have seen in 40 odd years of watching the hearts

Top 10 best Hearts defenders in the last 25 yrs:- Craig Levein

Dave McPherson

David Weir

Sandy Jardine

Steven Pressley

Paul Ritchie

Alan McLaren

Pasquale Bruno

Roddy McDonald

Willie Jamieson

Worst 5........................................................Gordan Petric

Jim Weir

David Winnie

Nerjus Barasa

Peter VanDeVen

Kevin James was a lot worse than Van de Ven.

I would have a few others ahead of Willie Jamieson too - Berra, Berry, Mcmanus probably Brian Whittaker too when he switched to centre half later in his career

Frankenstein Jambo.
Levein, probably one of two truly world class players to have played for the JT's in modern times. The other was Alan McLaren.

Both careers cut short by injury.

Sorry mate but your missing robbo, C gordon and anti neimi who are and where world class players.

P.S CL was the best Hearts defender Hearts have ever had.

jambo in iraq
We've been spoilt over the past 25 years with CBs.

Levein, Jardine, McPherson, Weir, McLaren, Pressley, Webster, Winnie.

Winnie, now he was better than any of them;)

jambo in iraq
Top 10 best Hearts defenders in the last 25 yrs:- Craig Levein

Dave McPherson

David Weir

Sandy Jardine

Steven Pressley

Paul Ritchie

Alan McLaren

Pasquale Bruno

Roddy McDonald

Willie Jamieson

Worst 5........................................................Gordan Petric

Jim Weir

David Winnie

Nerjus Barasa

Peter VanDeVen

away.... there is no way Roddy McDonald or Jamieson were in the top 10 even in the years they were playing. Naysmith, Maybury, Berra, Zaluikas, Tall, Karapidis, Fysass were all far superior to these two.

As for the worst list. Agree with Petric, Winnie, Barasa, but not Weir and Van de Ven, replace them with Kevin James and Mohammed Berte and you'd be about there!!

I'd say Weir, simply because the guy rarely broke sweat and still managed to win MOM more often than not. I'm sure in his last season with us he won a crazy amount of MoM awards and must hold some sort of record for successive MoM awards.

If I was a ned, I'd quite simply state "he was pure class, gadgey"

Definately Levein. Always felt Weir was way to short to be a defender and in all honesty, other than grabbing the 2 injury time goals in the New Year derby against Hibs I'd struggle to think of what else Weir conributed to Hearts.

jambo in iraq
Sorry mate but your missing robbo, C gordon and anti neimi who are and where world class players.

P.S CL was the best Hearts defender Hearts have ever had.

I love Robbo, but he was never world class. There is an arguement that Gordon and Niemi were approaching it, but not Robbo. In his generation who would he have dislodged out a world 11? Van Basten? Klinsman? Romario? Bebeto? Lineker? Shearer? No I did'nt think so..

ermmmm....Gary Naysmith......???????? Top half of the top 10 I think?

Yes, i thought about using full-backs but decided on just central defenders. Jamieson was chosen because in his one season, he didn't put a foot wrong and scored that injury time 30 yarder against Celtic. As for Berry and a couple of the others mentioned, he was actually a defensive midfielder who ended up playing in defence occasionally. Can't believe I forgot about Webster mind! Kevin James......yes, he would probably have been in there as one of the worst, McManus done a turn, a bit like Berra now.

I often think the comparisons with Levein and Hansen are drawn because they were both similar in that they were graceful athletes who were capable of covering distances deceptively quickly, unless Willie Miller was in the way. It seems odd that two such fine footballers should only hold 42 international caps between them (16 and 26 respectively) yet David Weir has 62.

Unfair comparison in my opinion. Its like asking who has the better Derby record there is no debate

Its "Shoes" for me

No contest Levein by a mile, that shows how good he was as Weir was a great player for us. If not for injuries Levein would have played for a top English or European club. Often wonder where the bag of excrement is now that shouted " hope we never see you again" when Levein was taken off against Dunfermline. Hopefully not enjoying himself

Jambo Scottyg

I'd agree with all those who have said 'Levein', he was a great defender with bags of pace! Weir did a great job for Hearts, but don't think he was anywhere near the class of Levein. As a lot have stated he would have gone on to bigger and better things if injury hadn't ruined his career.

Who was the best palyer out of Levein and Weir? Both great players but the best centre half Hearts have had in the past 20 years was Alan McLaren. Centre half has been a position Hearts have generally been blessed for in the past 25 years.

Levein

McPherson

Ritchie

Weir

McPherson

McLaren

Berra

All gaining full international caps for Scotland whilst at the club.

mirsad_beslija

David weir one of the best players ever to play for hearts in modern day football . levein constantly injured or getting massive bans for fighting with his own teamates ! :)

I remember Levien scoring against the sheep 1 0 and thinking the hole teem was different from then on and the more I watched him the more I realized that I was watching some one very special. One of the most agonising moments of my life was standing 10 feet away from him as he rolled in agony by the touchline, the look on his face was anger. It was against rangers, He had just come back from injury and his ligament had snapped. I truly believe that he was marvellous. To have that much skill that you left shaking your head in delight was an experience that I had never had before. I've watched Hearts since 66 and the only thing that came close was watching the change in the Hearts performance when Allen Mclaren came on as a substitute and I saw him for the first time.There is no one that comes close to Craig Levien. I am also aware of the special talent that Willy Hamilton had Which I was told (can't quite remember) was quite spectacular. PS if he is head and shoulders above everybody else that is not a slight on anyone.

I concur

Pure out and out class

some used to say that his brother Paul was an even better player but lacked the dedication and prefered the drink etc.

David weir one of the best players ever to play for hearts in modern day football . levein constantly injured or getting massive bans for fighting with his own teamates ! :)

I think most of us are used to you posting pure unadulterated pish on a regular basis but that guff above really takes the biscuit.

Away and behave yourself.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Who was the best palyer out of Levein and Weir? Both great players but the best centre half Hearts have had in the past 20 years was Alan McLaren. Centre half has been a position Hearts have generally been blessed for in the past 25 years.

Levein

McPherson

Ritchie

Weir

McPherson

McLaren

Berra

All gaining full international caps for Scotland whilst at the club.

Couple of glaring ommissions there. Any reasons in particular...;)

Levein is the best i have seen in my thirty years following the hearts,weir was good but wouldnt make my top five.

I will be a happy man if i ever see a better player(defender) than craig levein in a hearts jersey.

Glamorgan Jambo

Craig Levein was by any measure a much better player. pace, control, physical presence, skill on the ball. In his early games for HMFC he was played on the right side of midfield and I remember him having a rangers left back (Munro) on toast one afternoon at Tynie as he repeatedly went past him with the ball.

The Levein/Jardine central defence combo is my favourite. While I agree Jardine helped Craig I also think Craig helped Sandy a lot during 85/86 by covering a lot of the space Sandy was no longer able to cover himself.

It's a shame for him when you see what Weir has achieved in his career with less ability but better luck with injuries.

Couple of glaring ommissions there. Any reasons in particular...;)

Jeezo, I've been spending too much time on this forum. The glaring ommissions were of course Pressley and Webster, who were also both top class for Hearts during their time here.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Jeezo, I've been spending too much time on this forum. The glaring ommissions were of course Pressley and Webster, who were also both top class for Hearts during their time here.

Always watching....:P

Levein. Best defender I've seen at Hearts. Weir was good and worked hard to make the best of what he had, but Levein had outstanding ability and was simply pure class.

Levein in my dads opinion was good enough to name a son after. Dont think he was expecting his career to be ruined by injuries at the time though.

It is an insult to Levein to mention Weir in the same sentence - Weir was good, Levein was Majestic - damn, just mentioned them in the same sentence ;)

When my Dad talks, i listen. When a man who is 74 and witnessed many Hearts teams and great players from the past he might just know a bit about what he`s talking about.

His opinion was that Levein would have easily played in Hearts great teams of the past.

My opinion is Levein was better than Weir. Levein had class on the ball.

Levein...pure class from head to toe. He could have gone right to the top if it hadn't been for injuries.

Lynn:ninja:

Davie Weir was a smashing player for Hearts but he is not in the same league as Craig Levein was.

Levein i beleive would have been one of Europe"s best but for bad injuries.

Colonel Kurtz

Some of the Hun lovers on here should know that all 3 Hun forwards were booked for kicking Levein in the first half of his comback game,before he was done and carried off

I'd say Weir, simply because the guy rarely broke sweat and still managed to win MOM more often than not. I'm sure in his last season with us he won a crazy amount of MoM awards and must hold some sort of record for successive MoM awards.

If I was a ned, I'd quite simply state "he was pure class, gadgey"

I presume this is not about Jim Weir?:eek::P

Bungalow Bill

Anyone who says Weir obviously did not see Levein play. It's not even close! We would just as well say who's better Robbo or Baird!

Libertonian_II

Levein by the continental kilometre

Disco Dave was always a favourite of mine as well. Did they not play together in a world cup match against Sweden?

As for Alan McLaren, I remember his debut at Tannadice where he snuffed out the opposition's centre forward who is now the manager for a wee team in the East side of Edinburgh.....................

Archived