Levein or Weir - Who was the better defender whilst at Hearts?

BlackJAC?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Craig no contest.

Alan McLaren beats them all imho, didn't he get to keep Roberto Baggio after 2 Scotland v Italy games when Baggio was world player of the year.

Levein is the best difender I have seen in a Hearts jersey weir was good but probably cos he is a hun now i cant see him as anthing but a OF nob like the rest of the biggetted ones loved McLaren when he was here felt bad whne he had to give up the game good to here him on Talk 107.

Craig no contest.

Alan McLaren beats them all imho, didn't he get to keep Roberto Baggio after 2 Scotland v Italy games when Baggio was world player of the year.

Levein was the best : pace , skill and great confidence.

Mclaren I remember playing against Bayern at Tynie : he was 18 and looked like a one man army that was unbeatable. But not the player Levein was.

Weir : pfft. Nae pace , very skilfull. Bronze medal.

Levein, McLaren and Weir were all international class defenders at Hearts, and would walk into any Hearts team of the last 40 years.

My personal favourite is McLaren, ever since he scored against Hamilton at Tynie when we beat them 7(8?)-0. I remember thinking that day that he was going to be a great player. Wee Doddie agreed, announcing him as a future Scotland captain not long after.

I'd probably choose Levein over Weir, but it's like choosing Kylie over Jessica Alba; you'd be absolutely delighted with either.

Levein was just all-round class - I still bristle when people describe him as "Hansen-esque." I thought he was the better footballer by far.

But for sheer entertainment value, Big Slim gets it every time. When he went off on one up the field, you never quite knew what was going to happen - total disaster or complete inspiration. Usually the former unfortunately.

Levein was just all-round class - I still bristle when people describe him as "Hansen-esque." I thought he was the better footballer by far.

But for sheer entertainment value, Big Slim gets it every time. When he went off on one up the field, you never quite knew what was going to happen - total disaster or complete inspiration. Usually the former unfortunately.

Completely agree with you on all of the above, especially the memories of big Slim on runs upfield, never in Leveins class as a player (or Davy Weir's) but for entertainment I can still laugh at the sight now.

It has to be Craigie boy by a country mile he reminded me of Alan Hansen but with more pace ( the complete player ) and a fellow Fifer lol. As for Alan McLaren he was a solid defender but at his time at Hearts I always though he gave the ball away to easily. And big Davie Weir nothing special but gave his all to the cause.

Grumpy.

PS Craig was also a good friend of Graham Hogg lol.

Completely agree with you on all of the above, especially the memories of big Slim on runs upfield, never in Leveins class as a player (or Davy Weir's) but for entertainment I can still laugh at the sight now.

Aye, but we shouldn't underrate Big Slim though - very good player for Hearts who deserves to be mentioned alongside the best centre backs we've had.

As for Levein V Weir, it's a pretty good contest as both made the game look so easy. I'll go with the majority and side with Levein, but it's not by a mile - his pace gives him the edge, but in all other aspects I'd say they were quite closely matched.

The Real Maroonblood

I couldn't agree more.

Levein any day of the week. Not only a good player but did it with a bit class and style.

Weir was also good but lack of pace rendered him ineffective when initially played at RB but coped well in the middle. Ritchie was good but too small and although I rated McLaren unlike others dont hold him at the highest but still a player. I actually though McPherson was undervalued wherever he played and did a great job at either full back or in the middle

I'd say Weir, simply because the guy rarely broke sweat and still managed to win MOM more often than not. I'm sure in his last season with us he won a crazy amount of MoM awards and must hold some sort of record for successive MoM awards.

If I was a ned, I'd quite simply state "he was pure class, gadgey"

You must be having a Steffi!!! Second thread I have commented on where the OP has shown his age (or lack thereof) in his post.

Levein is the finest football player I have ever seen in a Hearts jersey, Weir was GOOD for us, Levein was outstanding.

Much like others on this thread, I would rate McLaren and McPherson behind Levein but ahead of Weir.

I'd say Weir, simply because the guy rarely broke sweat and still managed to win MOM more often than not. I'm sure in his last season with us he won a crazy amount of MoM awards and must hold some sort of record for successive MoM awards.

Pre-injury Levein by a few million light years. Post-injury Levein by a small margin.

ernie winchester

Weir was international class but Levein was world class, or would've been if it wasn't for the injuries. The best Scottish centre half I've ever seen.

meridian jambo

Levein was fantastic he gets my vote but Weir was very good. I remember when Sandy Jardine came he oozed class, but for me Levein would have went on to be one of the UK's best.

I do remember Spurs were after him.

Sergio Garcia

Going on my time watching Hearts it goes

Levein

McLaren

Weir

Although Weir almost won due to the fact I always seemed to have him on as first scorer/score at any time and he made me quite a few bob.

But putting financial gain aside, really is no contest, Levein was class, Weir had to work at the game a hell of a lot more.

McLaren is closer to Levein's standards but never quite reached it.

Big Zal on the other hand......

You must be having a Steffi!!! Second thread I have commented on where the OP has shown his age (or lack thereof) in his post.

Levein is the finest football player I have ever seen in a Hearts jersey, Weir was GOOD for us, Levein was outstanding.

Much like others on this thread, I would rate McLaren and McPherson behind Levein but ahead of Weir.

I'm 34, so I saw levein many times :(

i fully understand where you're coming from, but from a personal pov, and I do realise I'm in the vast minority here, I just thought Weir edged it. I also realise Weir was a late developer whereas levein was a cracking player in his younger years too, but I still thought Weir was a more solid defender, even though he lacked any real pace.

I know every man and his pet budgie disagrees with me and I deserve a good mocking, but I'm standing by my original decision God damn it!! :P

I'm 34, so I saw levein many times :(

i fully understand where you're coming from, but from a personal pov, and I do realise I'm in the vast minority here, I just thought Weir edged it. I also realise Weir was a late developer whereas levein was a cracking player in his younger years too, but I still thought Weir was a more solid defender, even though he lacked any real pace.

I know every man and his pet budgie disagrees with me and I deserve a good mocking, but I'm standing by my original decision God damn it!! :P

Not mocking you in the slightest.

I am simply stunned that anybody of your vintage could say other than Levein. Hey ho, each to their own and all that. :)

Levein by some distance.

Also one of the reasons we lost the league in 86 on the last day was because he had flu and missed the game. :sad:

Craig Levein, one of the classiest, if not the classiest, defenders Scotland has ever produced. In saying that I also think Davie Weir did an excellent job while at Hearts.

Ditto.

Davie Weir made a moderate amount of talent go a long way. Good on him. CL though was robbed of world class status because of injury. Had that not been the case he would have been a worthy suffix to "Law, Baxter, Dalgleish....."

Funnily enough when Weir and Ritchie played together I thought Paul Ritchie was the better defender. Weir was a better all round player, more composed and a goal threat but I thought that Paul Ritchie was the real lynchpin defensively in the 98 team. What a waste of a career after he left Hearts. Still serves him right for selling his soul to the devil.

As for the original question Levien.

wheatfield to sheffield

Levein. No question.

Then, in this order and in my humble opinion, Hearts best central defenders have been - Pressley, Weir, McPherson, McLaren, Webster, Roddy McDonald. Followed by every other player who has ever played for Hearts in any position. And then finally, after all of that Gordan Petric.

Funnily enough when Weir and Ritchie played together I thought Paul Ritchie was the better defender. Weir was a better all round player, more composed and a goal threat but I thought that Paul Ritchie was the real lynchpin defensively in the 98 team. What a waste of a career after he left Hearts. Still serves him right for selling his soul to the devil.

As for the original question Levien.

Agree with this completely. Apart from one season (think it was the one prior to the SC win) I thought Weir was good but vastly overrated and that Ritchie was the real rock of our team. Also thought big slim and Mclaren were both better at Hearts than Weir.

But Levein the best of the lot.

Levein - and by at least a country mile.

There was a time when Levein was out injured and we went ages without a win, we couldn't beat the meat between our fingers. Levein came back and we went on a great run, we never lost for ages, plus 10 games as I remember.

He was the complete player, captain, insipiration, leader all in one.

Weir is an allright player................

Levein.

Here's one that has me in a quandary - Levein v McLaren

Was just thinking that very same thing!!

Levein - and by at least a country mile.

As a wee side issue, is there a difference between a 'country mile' and a 'city mile' ? :P

Originally Posted by matt74

Levein.

Here's one that has me in a quandary - Levein v McLaren

Was just thinking that very same thing!!

Again,...............Levein, (this of course IMHO).

Again, no contest.

Levein could do anything McLaren could do, and a lot more besides.

Levein by some distance.

As has already been said, he'd have been a top, top player in England had it not been for injury.

Weir was excellent, as was Mclaren, McPherson, Jardine, Pressley and Webster.

Buffalo Bill

Chad Sexington

Levein was in a different post code from Weir skillwise.

Only injuries stopped him being a Scotland legend and a huge star in England.

This is a no-brainer - Levein, easily. Paul Ritchie was up there too then Davie McPherson, then Pressley then Weir in that order (IMO).

Top 10 best Hearts defenders in the last 25 yrs:- Craig Levein

Dave McPherson

David Weir

Sandy Jardine

Steven Pressley

Paul Ritchie

Alan McLaren

Pasquale Bruno

Roddy McDonald

Willie Jamieson

Worst 5........................................................Gordan Petric

Jim Weir

David Winnie

Nerjus Barasa

Peter VanDeVen

Dave McPherson

David Weir

Sandy Jardine

Steven Pressley

Paul Ritchie

Alan McLaren

Pasquale Bruno

Roddy McDonald

Willie Jamieson

Jim Weir

David Winnie

Nerjus Barasa

Peter VanDeVen

:eek::eek::eek:

Craig Levein was the best player I've seen at Hearts. Jim Weir was honking. No contest!

:P

Dave McPherson

David Weir

Sandy Jardine

Steven Pressley

Paul Ritchie

Alan McLaren

Pasquale Bruno

Roddy McDonald

Willie Jamieson

Jim Weir

David Winnie

Nerjus Barasa

Peter VanDeVen

ermmmm....Gary Naysmith......???????? Top half of the top 10 I think?

Archived