Asian Shopkeepers..

coppercrutch

coppercrutch

Just who the **** are they talking to on their phones !!!

How can a male talk on the phone for 9 hours straight...:eek:

I can understand birds but it's blokes too !!

Confused. :rubeyes:

NB - Before anyone goes off on one this is in no way racist I just find it amusing !!

The Mighty Thor

NB - Before anyone goes off on one this is in no way racist I just find it amusing !!

I cannae see this one lasting long :)

to answer your question: other asian shopkeepers?

coppercrutch
I cannae see this one lasting long :)

to answer your question: other asian shopkeepers?

It is a serious question !! Ok so if they are speaking to other shopkeepers what the **** are they talking about !??

Keeper 1 - "I just sold a twix"

Keeper 2 - "Nice, I just gave someone 3 cola bottles and they were wearing a green cap"

Etc...

Na. There must be more to this !! I just want to ask them but I always wimp out.

The Mighty Thor
It is a serious question !! Ok so if they are speaking to other shopkeepers what the **** are they talking about !??

Keeper 2 - "Nice, I just gave someone 3 cola bottles and they were wearing a green cap"

Etc...

Na. There must be more to this !! I just want to ask them but I always wimp out.

I've genuinely no idea mate. Perhaps they're just from a more communicative culture than we are.

maybe it's more like 'i've just sold this wee trumpet wi a green hat on 3 cola bottles and i hadnae washed my hands after going for a pish'

coppercrutch
I've genuinely no idea mate. Perhaps they're just from a more communicative culture than we are.

maybe it's more like 'i've just sold this wee trumpet wi a green hat on 3 cola bottles and i hadnae washed my hands after going for a pish'

Could be. If there are any Asian Shopkeepers who post on JKB I would be delighted for you to spill the beans !!

Cheers

tommythejambo

Maybe it's just a big running joke amongst them, that everytime someone comes in the shop they have to pretend to be on the phone.

Chip Douglas

Never happens to me, not that I go into Asian-run shops that often mind you.

Maybe they just pretend they're on the phone when you come in; it's either that for them or the prospect of an hour of property chat or Salmond bashing.

:)

portobellojambo1

Might seem like a daft question CC, but what were you doing in an Asian shop for 9 hours (I am assuming you timed this episode, or have I missed something and this has been reported by the news media recently)

hahahahaha!!!!

Loving your work copper.

There are 2 Asian newsagents near my pad and the guy's that work in each are on their phone practically every time i'm in.

Well spotted.

coppercrutch
Never happens to me, not that I go into Asian-run shops that often mind you.

Maybe they just pretend they're on the phone when you come in; it's either that for them or the prospect of an hour of property chat or Salmond bashing.

:)

You could be right, but cosanostra gets it too !!

Might seem like a daft question CC, but what were you doing in an Asian shop for 9 hours (I am assuming you timed this episode, or have I missed something and this has been reported by the news media recently)

You are right. It may just be co-incidence. Maybe I can set up surveillance to confirm.

hahahahaha!!!!

Loving your work copper.

There are 2 Asian newsagents near my pad and the guy's that work in each are on their phone practically every time i'm in.

Well spotted.

Glad to hear I am not the only one who notices !! I am going to Google for the answer...Google knows everything.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I tend to avoid Asian shopkeepers. I always find them rude and obnoxious. :sad:

coppercrutch
Do you really believe there are call centres in India ;)

Could be onto something. I googled this subject and it has been discussed numerous times before !! The call centre angle was also raised ...:eek:

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Cracking point mate. I go to a wee guy down Stockbridge every day and he is ALWAYS on the phone, regardless of what time it may be.

It seems to be the new craze amongst the Asian sole trader fraternity. In my youth the guys that worked in these shops used to speak to each other in their own language and it didnt take a genius to work out they were ripping the pish out of everyone who came into the shop. So we got an Asian lad in our class who was always up for a laugh to teach us how to say "I know what you are saying" in his language. You want to have seen the guys in the shops faces when we said that one day. Priceless.

What i will say though is another Asian shop I frequent is a cracking wee guy in Musselburgh who always tells the persn on the other end to wait while he serves the customers. I would HATE to see the boys phone bill at he end of the month!!!!

They are just trying to find their 'feminine side'. :rolleyes:

coppercrutch
Cracking point mate. I go to a wee guy down Stockbridge every day and he is ALWAYS on the phone, regardless of what time it may be.

It seems to be the new craze amongst the Asian sole trader fraternity. In my youth the guys that worked in these shops used to speak to each other in their own language and it didnt take a genius to work out they were ripping the pish out of everyone who came into the shop. So we got an Asian lad in our class who was always up for a laugh to teach us how to say "I know what you are saying" in his language. You want to have seen the guys in the shops faces when we said that one day. Priceless.

What i will say though is another Asian shop I frequent is a cracking wee guy in Musselburgh who always tells the persn on the other end to wait while he serves the customers. I would HATE to see the boys phone bill at he end of the month!!!!

Brilliant.

Doctor FinnBarr

Hes always on the phone in my local newsagent apart from this morning when a smackheid trollop walks in and vanishes behind a shelf! The phone was down sharpish as he tried to figure out what she was up to.

:eek:

I have never been in an Asian shop but will visit one tomorrow to check if any of the staff are on the phone.

Doctor FinnBarr
I have never been in an Asian shop but will visit one tomorrow to check if any of the staff are on the phone.

Where do you actually stay if you've never been in an "Asian" shop? I don't have any option.

:eek:

Where do you actually stay if you've never been in an "Asian" shop?

Therapist Towers is located in Corstorphine.

You've led a sheltered life. I can't believe you've never been in an asian run newsagent/grocers.

You've led a sheltered life. I can't believe you've never been in an asian run newsagent/grocers.

I'm pretty sure I was in one in London once to buy an Evening Standard. I can't remember if the shop assistant was on the phone or not.

Do you really believe there are call centres in India ;)

Quality !

"Now can you reset your router please sir..., that's 49p please mate....no, no, not you sir"

Etc...

Probably more like

Keeper 1 "I just sold a bag of crisps that went out of date in 1984"

Keeper 2 "hahahah, I sold a can of juice that had 'not for individual sale on it"

Some of them are decent, friendly and work hard and honest, some of them are just robbing barstewards

Cannae stand how a lot of them don't seem to be subject to the same trading standards as the rest tho :sad:

DuffKirkMacKenzie

It probably starts off with "Theres a big fat ugly guy just walked in ma shoap wi a Herts shirt oan", and the next 8hr 59 min & 50 secs laughing in an asian accent.:):P:p

Probably more like

Keeper 1 "I just sold a bag of crisps that went out of date in 1984"

Keeper 2 "hahahah, I sold a can of juice that had 'not for individual sale on it"

Some of them are decent, friendly and work hard and honest, some of them are just robbing barstewards

Cannae stand how a lot of them don't seem to be subject to the same trading standards as the rest tho :sad:

The trick a lot of corner shops use is say you hand over a tenner. They always give you the lose change back first in the vain attempt that their customer will forget about the fiver in the other hand. :rolleyes:

Therapist Towers is located in Corstorphine.

Youve got one next to the BBQ chippy. Also has one of the biggest collections of jazz mags a young schoolboy ever did see.

Having grown up in Corrie I can confirm that it is pretty much 100% white but dont believe Therapist has never been in an Asian newsagents anywhere else tho. Never duck into a newsagents in Gorgie?!?

The one next to the BBQ is an institution, but more for underage booze than the bongo collection.

I remember being in there once as a 15 year old, trying to buy some cider. I got served no problem, but he knocked back my mate... who simply handed his cash and his tinnies to me, in front of our Asian friend, who promptly sold them to me.

I'd been going in there for years with a group of mates from school which included his nephew... so he must have had a fair idea how old we were. The man don't give a fuct.

I have just been served by an asian guy in the shop next to dixons at edinburgh airport. He scanned the goods then the phone rang which he picked up.

Don't think I have ever noticed the phone thing but I have now!

Even though the shop isn't on a corner does it count!?!

Commander Harris

popped into a shop yesterday and the chap was on his phone, didn't say a word to me while carrying out the transaction and continued with his conversation to the person on the other end of the phone. top customer service.

popped into a shop yesterday and the chap was on his phone, didn't say a word to me while carrying out the transaction and continued with his conversation to the person on the other end of the phone. top customer service.

Did he drop your change into your hand from a height of about 6 inches?

Commander Harris

funnily enough he did!

how did you know that, it wasn't you was it? :D

funnily enough he did!

how did you know that, it wasn't you was it? :D

All my locals ones do that just as much as the constant phone calls.

I hate it more than the phone rudeness TBH.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I HATE that. :mad:

I have just been served by an asian guy in the shop next to dixons at edinburgh airport. He scanned the goods then the phone rang which he picked up.

Don't think I have ever noticed the phone thing but I have now!

Even though the shop isn't on a corner does it count!?!

Yes it counts - Being on a corner is not mandatory !!

Glad I put this thread up. Seems it's not only me afterall !!

I hope you just left without buying the goods

**** them!!!

I hate rudeness whether it is from a Black,Asian, Chinese, Scot, English..........anyone

They didn't deserve your custom

Commander Harris
I hope you just left without buying the goods

**** them!!!

I hate rudeness whether it is from a Black,Asian, Chinese, Scot, English..........anyone

They didn't deserve your custom

I was just after a light for a friend, it's not a shop I frequent anyway.

although I do agree that we perhaps do accept poor customer service more than we should. (I'm talking generally here, not about Asian shopkeepers in particular.) The standard of customer service generally is often very poor.

just to balance things up and address an earlier point made by another poster, there's a wee shop near a friend of mine that used to be completely awful - the proprietor would always be smoking outside the shop and only bothered to come in once he'd finished his cigarette and then seemed to give the impression that I was somehow inconveniencing him by daring to go into his shop. Thankfully the management seems to have changed and there is now a very pleasant Asian gent running the shop and the customer service couldn't be better. :)

Poor customer service is definitely a problem in this country but, as you rightly say, it is irrespective of race.

(Sorry if that's going a wee bit off-topic)

Era Macaroons

I didnt realise so many people wanted to stop and have a conversation with the bloke thats taking 30 pence for your newspaper.

They would probably have the same conversation 100 times a day.

You are in that shop for 20 seconds and expect your presence to be honoured....save 'I demand manners' for more pressing situations.

Go in, select your goods, pay him and naff off.

Dont you just love when they have donuts etc beside the counter, your taking your life in to your own hands eating one of those bad boys,

It's worse than buying a roll fi behind the bar in Robbo's.

Archived