Bomber Harris
I'm not 100% sure if Poulter is in but if not Poulter and Clarke

Faldo will never pick Monty in a million years

Poulter never struck me as a team player, that's why I'd never pick him myself

Suppose it won't really matter as we'll still pump them

The Mighty Thor
Poulter never struck me as a team player, that's why I'd never pick him myself

Suppose it won't really matter as we'll still pump them

Hope so. Don't particularly like Faldo and am not sure he's Captain material in the mould of guys like Gallagher etc.

I actually reckon the septics are stronger without woods.

Bomber Harris
I actually reckon the septics are stronger without woods.

can't go with that

If I was Azinger I'd be struggling to pick 4 from the pash that's left :)

The Mighty Thor
can't go with that

If I was Azinger I'd be struggling to pick 4 from the pash that's left :)

I reckon we'll do them doggy in the fourballs and foursomes and it'll be all down to the singles as per usual.

I reckon we'll retain the cup at worst.

Arnold Rothstein

Got a hunch it could be Clarke and someone random like Rory McIlroy.

Chucking him in at the deep end like Sven did with Theo Walcott.

Think the OP's right - it'll be Clarke & Casey.

Recent poll amongst pros revealed they were top picks, Poulter polled one vote !

Poulter, had been hinting he was a wild card pick and chose not to play at Gleneagles this week, but to play in Boston.

He hasn't done himself any favours and missed the cut.

I think the previous poster is right, Poulter is not a team player.

In a Hootsman article today a good quote was

"If they(Americans)see Poulter on the tee beside them, they're going to be respectful but not intimidated. They see Clarke and they know they're dealing with a different animal."

Ray Winstone

It will almost definitely be Casey and Clark.

Personally I would pick Monty over Clark - purley on Monty's ryder cup record.

Clark, like Monty has not have the best of years.

Darren Clark is a shoe in,the second pick should be Ian Poulter.

Monty hasnt been been up to it this year but would be brilliant as an assistant to Faldo.

Isaac Begbie

Poulter and Faldo are quite close so he was always likely to get the nod.

Personally i'd have liked him to have gone as much for reputation and experience in the Ryder cup as with current form and personal preference.

crazy_jambo_2006

Faldo was unprofessional in press conference. "Have you spoken to Monty?". "No. I left answerphone msg, as Monty was watching football or shopping". Disrespectful chat from Faldo. Total farce. Am also disappointed no Clarke +no McGinley as vice captain.

Very tough

For me, I see him picking DC & PC

Would love to see him picking Monty but can't see it

The Mighty Thor
Faldo was unprofessional in press conference. "Have you spoken to Monty?". "No. I left answerphone msg, as Monty was watching football or shopping". Disrespectful chat from Faldo. Total farce.

Faldo wouldn't pish on Monty if he was ablaze.

bit of an error leaving out Clarke IMO.

Mind you Faldo is an arrogant tw*t.

Not great choices at all. Clarke brings the best out in Westwood and Monty gets the team right up for it. I don't think Monty has done enough to be considered but Faldo had the option of second vice captain but chose not to use it. A position made for Monty.

It would appear that Faldo is not able to put his grudges to one side for the team.

I fear the worst for our hopes at Valhalla.

crazy_jambo_2006

If Poulter had played Gleneagles, he could've qualified within the 10 merit list. Then the 2 wildcards could've gone to others. But no, Poulter can't be bothered playing Gleneagles, but Faldo helps him out by giving him a wildcard.

I normally rate Poulter, but I just think his priorities are wrong - he didn't value Ryder Cup enough to play Gleneagles and try and qualify for Ryder Cup.

So Poulter doesn't qualify. This boy Wilson does. No disrespect to Wilson, but not a D Clarke.

If Poulter had qualified, we could've had Clarke or Monty as a wildcard.

Maybe Poulter knew Faldo would pick Poulter, so he couldn't be bothered playing Gleneagles?

Never liked Faldo. Arrogant. It was good when Faldo got grilled by the journalists at the press conference. They were raging that Clarke wasn't picked.

What about McGinley for 2nd v/captain? Or Monty for that role?

Not amused that Faldo has let personal preferences cloud his judgement. We need the best team for the job. Clarke imo should be on that team.

Malinga the Swinga

Faldo last few months prior to picks states he wants winners in his team. Cklarke goes out and wins Dutch open. Poulter speaks to Faldo on phone and decides he doesn't need to go to Gleneagles. Poulter then fails to make cut in US this week and as a result, Faldo picks him and Casey.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Poulter and Casey haven't won a trophy between them this year. Poulter has won one European trophy in the last 4 years, yet still gets picked. Can't believe that Faldo has managed the impossible and that is I no longer care if Europe win the Ryder cup.

Malinga the Swinga

Also very interesting to hear the English based radio Talksport talking about picks as opposed to the bland sky team coverage, is Tony Jacklin actually awake, that we saw.

They reckon most european team will be unhappy and will not enjoy the Ryder cup in Valhalla.

I detest Nick Faldo and his arogant me, me, me nature.

crazy_jambo_2006

Faldo was unprofessional in press conference. "Have you spoken to Monty?". "No. I left answerphone msg, as Monty was watching football or shopping". Disrespectful chat from Faldo. Total farce.

Very tough

For me, I see him picking DC & PC

Would love to see him picking Monty but can't see it

I P Knightley
Faldo last few months prior to picks states he wants winners in his team. Cklarke goes out and wins Dutch open. Poulter speaks to Faldo on phone and decides he doesn't need to go to Gleneagles. Poulter then fails to make cut in US this week and as a result, Faldo picks him and Casey.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Poulter and Casey haven't won a trophy between them this year. Poulter has won one European trophy in the last 4 years, yet still gets picked. Can't believe that Faldo has managed the impossible and that is I no longer care if Europe win the Ryder cup.

This is true but Casey has been pretty good in the Matchplay over the last few years and would have had my pick.

Unlike Poulter. Runner-up in the Open and he still can't get himself in via the points scoring. Never achieved anything of note in matchplay and is a preening idiot. I know that the "there's only me and Tiger Woods" comment was taken out of context but a stupid comment was made that none of the others would have made.

I'd've gone for Clarke instead. Wears funny trousers, right enough, but he's achieved a lot in matchplay and would've been a fillip for any playing partner.

Faldo's nothing other than a big pimply arse. If I ever meet his ex-wife, I'll shake her by the hand for taking his 3-iron to his Porsche.

I P Knightley
Poulter will get up the noses of his team-mates more than he will the Americans.

Now there's a good point - who'd want to be paired with him? I suppose there's somebody in the camp who can bear him. Porridge seemed to be jovial towards him at the end of the Open (but then he'd just seen three quarter mill go into his bank so he'd probably have been jovial towards anyone).

The Mighty Thor
Faldo's nothing other than a big pimply arse. If I ever meet his ex-wife, I'll shake her by the hand for taking his 3-iron to his Porsche.

I'd have shaken her by the hand if she'd taken the 3-iron to his napper.

A boy I used to work with played against faldo in the british boys many moons ago (got beat 6&5). Apart from golf related sentences "I'll give you that", "this for a half" etc. etc. Faldo did not say a SINGLE word to him the whole way round the 13 holes. A chugger supreme.

And I bet having that female caddy is the closest he's been to a ***** for a while an' all.

Faldo is being his usual pig headed self centred self.

Clarke should have came in instead of Poulter, who has shown a total lack of respect for the European tour by playing in Boston.

Sergio Garcia

Was raging watching him announce the two captains picks.

Can understand picking one of them somewhat (although saying he was the form player of the summer bar none, when Padroig won 2 majors and Sergio was close in both of them, is a stupid statement) but surely the second pick should have went to an expierenced player ie; Monty or Clarke.

With Clarke's recent form and his vast expierence in the Ryder cup, he should have been picked. I knew a few wanted Monty, but Darren Clarke would have helped Faldo get out of the not picking Monty decision with justification of picking a wise head with good current form and undoubted class.

Seems Faldo wants to be the head man with all the younger players and doesnt want anyone threatening this at all.

Doesnt seem to grasp the idea of a team game and the European spirit, all for one and one for all.

But then again Faldo, is all about himself!

I agree it should've been Darren and PC. He's not only lost out on a good Ryder Cup player in Darren but he's broken a good pairing in DC and Lee Westwood. Be interesting to see how Lee plays...

From reading Faldo's autobiography he's always had a poor relationship with governing bodies and the like, he is definitely a single minded person and should never in a million years be a captain. I think thats why he's picked Poulter as he sees a lot of his younger self in Ian.

As for Monty, he's had a bad season and I think he would've been a waste of a seat on the plane if he had got picked. No denying he has a fantastic Ryder Cup record but if you're off the boil and not playing well there's no point in showing up for the team if you're not on your game.

Walter Bishop

Faldo`s picks (or 1 of them) and his attitude is a disgrace, Poulter should not be in the team ahead of Clarke, i would have accepted Clarke and Poulter but no way would i have not picked Clarke.

Faldo clearly wants to be the "big chief" and having influences like Monty and Clarke in the team would make him feel threatened.

I always cheer on Europe and hope they win but there is a small part of me this time hoping Faldo falls flat on his arrogant, selfish ugly fecker of a face!!

Even Olly looked scared to open his mouth!!!

Sergio Garcia
Faldo`s picks (or 1 of them) and his attitude is a disgrace, Poulter should not be in the team ahead of Clarke, i would have accepted Clarke and Poulter but no way would i have not picked Clarke.

Faldo clearly wants to be the "big chief" and having influences like Monty and Clarke in the team would make him feel threatened.

I always cheer on Europe and hope they win but there is a small part of me this time hoping Faldo falls flat on his arrogant, selfish ugly fecker of a face!!

Even Olly looked scared to open his mouth!!!

I was thinking the same last night when i heard the picks, love watching the ryder cup and cheering on europe but my support wont be as passionate this time im thinking, all because Faldo and his "picks"

I was thinking the same last night when i heard the picks, love watching the ryder cup and cheering on europe but my support wont be as passionate this time im thinking, all because Faldo and his "picks"

Me as well.

Don't like Faldo at all.

Loved it how Lyle pipped him to winning the Open and the Masters.

Sergio Garcia

Europe always do well because of team spirit and in his choices, he has picked a player in Poulter who seems to be someone who would upset a team rather than help it, unlike Darren Clarke who would raise the morale bucketloads.

Couple that with the fact Poulter couldnt be bothered to try and gain a automatic place and went to play in the US, where he did miss the cut. It really is a bad choice imo!

Was raging watching him announce the two captains picks.

Can understand picking one of them somewhat (although saying he was the form player of the summer bar none, when Padroig won 2 majors and Sergio was close in both of them, is a stupid statement) but surely the second pick should have went to an expierenced player ie; Monty or Clarke.

With Clarke's recent form and his vast expierence in the Ryder cup, he should have been picked. I knew a few wanted Monty, but Darren Clarke would have helped Faldo get out of the not picking Monty decision with justification of picking a wise head with good current form and undoubted class.

Seems Faldo wants to be the head man with all the younger players and doesnt want anyone threatening this at all.

Doesnt seem to grasp the idea of a team game and the European spirit, all for one and one for all.

But then again Faldo, is all about himself!

Exactly he should never be captain in the first place, the ryder cup is all about teamwork and unity and that`s what faldo is definitely not about

Father Tiresias

Poulter has not had one round under 68 this season had has yet to win a tournament!!!

I don't believe he was not told in advance he was in the team, that can be the only plausible reason he decided to head to Boston rather than Gleneagles.

Darren Clarke must be gutted to lose out to a preening idiot and a player who took a month off before the Open Championship to 'find his form'.

Watching Faldo on TV yesterday only confirmed that he is a big headed fool who wants to be centre of attraction by only having one vice-captain in Olazabal.

Archived