A Wee Quiz Question re Hearts vs Hibs Scottish Cup Final 1896

Hearts Heritage

Hearts Heritage

The only Cup Final played outside of Glasgow. What game was played at Hampden Park that day?

Benny Factor
The only Cup Final played outside of Glasgow. What game was played at Hampden Park that day?

Rugby Union???:P

Benny Factor

"In October 1895, The Edinburgh Academical Club decided that they were no longer prepared to lease Raeburn Place to the Union. In an attempt to overcome this blow, the Union entered into an arrangement for the use of Old Hampden Park, Glasgow, for the 1896 match v. England"

Hearts Heritage
Scotland v England (Rugby Union)?

Spot on. Scotland won by 1 goal and 2 tries (11 points) to Nil. Never realised that before.

Buffalo Bill

Exactly where was the stadium situated (Powderhall/Logie Green I mean).

Was it on the site of the old dog racing stadium?

Buffalo Bill

Weren't NASA using Hampden that day to train astronauts, it's the only place on Earth with no atmosphere :P

Sorry, but I can't agree. Hampden has no atmosphere when the OF play a smaller team, because they have 90% of the crowd and little opposition. Compare to recent games:

* Hearts ve Hibs Semi 2006

* Hearts v Gretna Final 2006

* Real v Bayern Leverkusen ECL Final

* Seville v Espanol EUFA Final.

Atmosphere at all of these games was electrifying. But then again, you would not have been there, but believe what other tossers tell you.

Said it before, JKB plays host to a lot of half-wits...

Preston Jambo
Exactly where was the stadium situated (Powderhall/Logie Green I mean).

Was it on the site of the old dog racing stadium?

Buffalo Bill

The staduim at Logie Green is now covered by Logie Green road (and houses).

Hearts played at the old Powderhall Grounds not the one that became the grayhound stadium. The old powderhall is now a refuse site I believe.

Benny Factor
Sorry, but I can't agree. Hampden has no atmosphere when the OF play a smaller team, because they have 90% of the crowd and little opposition. Compare to recent games:

* Hearts ve Hibs Semi 2006

* Hearts v Gretna Final 2006

* Real v Bayern Leverkusen ECL Final

* Seville v Espanol EUFA Final.

Atmosphere at all of these games was electrifying. But then again, you would not have been there, but believe what other tossers tell you.

Said it before, JKB plays host to a lot of half-wits...

Ross, i have to disagree there..... We had little opposition that day. :P

The staduim at Logie Green is now covered by Logie Green road (and houses).

Hearts played at the old Powderhall Grounds not the one that became the grayhound stadium. The old powderhall is now a refuse site I believe.

If you look at the old pics you can clearly see an embankment at one side of the ground. This is the railway that runs from Waverley to Granton harbour up through Trinity.

The old ground would be covered by what is now Logie Green Loan and other side streets.

Preston Jambo has given the correct answer to where the ground was at Logie Green Road/ Loan/ Gardens. I went to the library a number of years ago and looked at all the old maps to find it. The number of people who insist it was at Powderhall are wrong. The other ground also nearby was the Royal Gymnasium now Scotland St park. I don't know much more but I don't think the park was there for a long period. I also don't know why it was knocked down. Has anyone ever thought of doing a Hearts tour for visitors?

The Heart of Midlothian in the High Street the old Heart of Midlothian dance hall (find that) the Haymarket clock, the Meadows, Logie Green road, the old fence where Fossie stood etc.

Veering away from the original topic, sorry, but does anyone know where the Royal High FP ground in Newington was? It was apparently used for Scottish district matches in the late 1890s.

Veering away from the original topic, sorry, but does anyone know where the Royal High FP ground in Newington was? It was apparently used for Scottish district matches in the late 1890s.

Grange loan.

The Old Tolbooth

Damn, I thought you were gonna ask who the scorers were for Hearts that day because I know that one without looking up any sites :P

Doctor FinnBarr
Damn, I thought you were gonna ask who the scorers were for Hearts that day because I know that one without looking up any sites :P

Ok John, I know your gagging* for someone to ask who?

*Not gagging as in gagging for breath!

:)

It's worth remembering that in thosed days Hampden park wasn't the automatic choice for hosting the final.

Saint Bernards had won the cup against Renton at Ibrox the previous year

d4152213x.jpg

and Hibs 1902 triumph over Celtic was at the neutral venue of err... Parkhead.

Archived