The Shed. ?

Munch

Thig Ar Latha
I really don't know what his name was, but he had a sort of Billy Connolly look about him (perhaps without the beard) and I seem to remember he could start a song from nothing. His "Give us an H" or "C'mon the Jam Tarts" could always get the crowd going.

I was in my teens at the time and I suppose he was probably mid 20's.

Billy Connelly look alike, sounds like we're talking about the same person. I was a teenager about that time as well.

Billy Connelly look alike, sounds like we're talking about the same person. I was a teenager about that time as well.

Yeah , you are probably right guys.

Chris Lyle.

You describe him quite well.

Thig Ar Latha
Shortly after we played Dundee Utd and that day a transfer deal for 2 Brazilians to DU had fallen through. Conversation in front of me went:-

"Glad that deal for they Brazilians fell threw before tonight"

Mate - " Why's that?"

"Cause ah cannae afford tae chuck jars of coffee at them"

Still think it was one of the best lines that stick out going to a game.

Brilliant. :):)

Yeah , you are probably right guys.

Chris Lyle.

You describe him quite well.

Is he still around. I have occassionally seen a guy who looks like him, but much smaller and dare I say the worse for wear. I suspect he might say the same about me after 30 years, and the fact that he's shrunk may be because I've grown. It's hard to imagine the guy I've seen at the odd game ever leading the singing at Tynie however.

Is he still around. I have occassionally seen a guy who looks like him, but much smaller and dare I say the worse for wear. I suspect he might say the same about me after 30 years, and the fact that he's shrunk may be because I've grown. It's hard to imagine the guy I've seen at the odd game ever leading the singing at Tynie however.

Not seen him for years Cobblers.

But its different now.

He may be in the Gorgie stand or Section N

If he still goes i bet he still has the old college scarf tied like a tie.

;)

Not seen him for years Cobblers.

But its different now.

He may be in the Gorgie stand or Section N

If he still goes i bet he still has the old college scarf tied like a tie.

;)

I really hope he does still go as he sort of introduced me (from a distance) into how a Hearts supporter should always get behind his team. I can only ever remember him giving 100% backing to the team and any adverse comments he ever made were always delivered with great humour. I suspect he looks nothing like he did 30 years ago (we can't all keep our good looks) so perhaps the guy I think I've recognised as him is someone else altogether.

Scarfers always ruled.

The more scarfs the better.

lol

My scarf at the time was a nice maroon paisley number.

I could of had 20 of them it wouldn't have mattered. :sad:

Surrey Jambo
We alaways had the shed.

Except for when we played celtic or rangers.

It used to always annoy the f%$k out of me.

Until that memorable day against celtic in an end of season game.

When we took it back.

Led by Big Kenny Baxter.

I think we won 4-1 that day aswell

Had some crazy times in there.

When the police used to keep the fans apart in a line down the terrace.

Until the numbers just made it impossible

Happy daze.

:)

I think that was 71/72 season. They beat us in the SC quarter final replay 1-0, Lou Macari goal. 40,000 crowd, pitched battles, then their fans complained about being treated like second class citizens (work it out) and boycotted the next game at Tynie.

They'd just done 9 in a row and our team applauded them on to the pitch. Some 18 year old called Dalglish dived in the area and they went 1-0 up.

Tommy Murray had a perfectly good goal disallowed for offside and we missed a penalty but still beat them 4-1. Crowd was about 10,000.

They were almost unbeatable in those days and we tore them to pieces.

Gorgie boys, Gorgie boys

Laced up boots and Cordorouys...

used to stand right at the wheatfield entrance and remember some septic jokers chucking over golf balls with nails in them...sweet:rolleyes:

I'm confused.

I've been sneaking/paying into Hearts matches since I was a nipper in 1987 and the Shed was never anywhere near the away fans. It was Section G and around the corner.

How could the police have been involved in seperating fans at that end of the Stadium - all the action was at the other end, no?

Please explain and apologies if I'm missing something.

Deodato

I'm confused.

I've been sneaking/paying into Hearts matches since I was a nipper in 1987 and the Shed was never anywhere near the away fans. It was Section G and around the corner.

How could the police have been involved in seperating fans at that end of the Stadium - all the action was at the other end, no?

Deodato

You're not confused you're just young:p

In the 1970's there were no fences or seggregation. Traditionally the Hearts fans held the Shed with the vocal support at the Wheatfield Entrance end (in front of the pie stand referred to earlier). When it came to OF games there were regular battles over this area and unfortunately more often that not the majority of the Hearts support was pushed back towards the corner of the Shed at the School End. Throughout most OF games there would be a number of charges to try to regain some ground.

There were regularly lines of policemen holding back both grups of supporters.

To be honest it was rare to actually come into contact with the opposition although it was great when a charge got them to run away.

Happy Days

The Hearts v Celtic game just after the Birmingham Pub Bombings was a particularly lively day where for once, despite being outnumbered the Hearts support controlled the Shed

I'm confused.

Deodato

The singers moved from under the pie stand to the corner when the benches were put in.

Remember it well,including the 5-1 win over Locomotive Leipzig in 76.

My mates making a barrier round me as i was just out of hospital after getting my appendix removed.

Can still smell the old brewery and all the pash running down from the back wall.

aye memories.:)

i was in the old stand at that game it was one of the 1st games i went to with my dad and my granddad, i always remember Kenny Arid hitting the post in the first minute , the atmosphere was electric.

Some of my earliest memories of Tynecastle.Standing at the front of the "Refreshment" stall.The great thing nowadays is that the vertically challenged:rolleyes:can see all the action from kick-off till final whistle.However,if asked,I'd have the shed back in a minute.A potential twelfth man and god knows we could do with that in some games.

(See avatar for Shed!)

One of the best things I remember about the old shed was the TV gantry perched on top of the pie stand. You were able to see which channel's cameras were there and maybe get a glipse of Archie or Arthur and give them a wee bit of stick, happy days!

I hit Dougie Donnelly with a half-eaten pie as he was making his way along the front of the benches! :P He started waving at first until folk started giving him grief about his hair and his Sterling ads, then the pie came!!

Really miss the shed, even though I only started going there properly in the late 80s. Lots of characters, lots of laughs and the sways when we scored against Hibs, Celtic or Rangers (or in Europe) were unbelievable.

I guess my main memory of the shed was a rangers game where it started to **** down - stair rods - and I couldn't get in :sad: It was a draw that day though :)

Eventually moved further along the school end because the shed was so crowded and there were always two or three Harlem Globetrotters decided to take up position right in front of me just as the game started. :mad:

suicidalpostie

ah the memories reading all the messages on this thread

i can almost smell the phish as i was reading them. In my

view football died when they made us sit down, well thats

my opinion,i remember gettin goose bumps wiating to go in

on a sat. standin at the father and sons gate lookin for a

surrogate dad for the day lol.

Brings a tear to ma gless eye

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Doctor FinnBarr
Does anyone know the name of the guy who used to stand at the back of the crowd in front of the pie stall and lead all the singing in the early 70's. He used to have a really loud voice and lots of hair.

I'm sure I've seen him since but he seems a shadow of the man I remember for the early/mid 70's.

"Is everybody happy, you bet your life we are". Same guy?

Doctor FinnBarr
Was he the big postie ? Voice like a fog horn ?[/QUOTE]

Could very well be the same guy, we used to call him "the loud guy".

Archived