The Shed. ?

Munch

Does anyone recall standing in the shed prior to the bench seats being installed, most fans gathered under the pie stand, and the away fans were just on the other side of the netting that was installed full height of the shed to stop fans throwing things at each other.

I preferred this area of the shed as opposed to the corner section which was good but IMO not as good.

Anyone else agree ?:welldone:

Thig Ar Latha
Does anyone recall standing in the shed prior to the bench seats being installed, most fans gathered under the pie stand, and the away fans were just on the other side of the netting that was installed full height of the shed to stop fans throwing things at each other.

I preferred this area of the shed as opposed to the corner section which was good but IMO not as good.

Agreed. :Hearts Man dance: The Original Shed was the Bees Knees.

Agreed. :Hearts Man dance: The Original Shed was the Bees Knees.

Even when they first put the benches in everyone just stood on them, it took them months to shift us, even then there were half of us still standing on the benches, and the other half up in corner, till eventually they made you sit on the benches , then everyone went up to the corner, magic times indeed.

The first time I stood in the old shed was against Aston Villa in a pre-season friendly in 1979.

Prior to that I'd only ever stood in the South Enclosure.

I remember being more excited than I'd ever been in my life.

They put the benches in shortly after :(

The first time I stood in the old shed was against Aston Villa in a pre-season friendly in 1979.

Prior to that I'd only ever stood in the South Enclosure.

I remember being more excited than I'd ever been in my life.

They put the benches in shortly after :(

You will remember the Miginley chant, Vlad talks about mafia now, that clown hated us, him and his buddy Valentine.Never gave us a thing.

I don't think I ever stood in it as a shed, as the north enclosure was my choice of area, however did stand where the shed was before it was even thought of.:)

I don't think I ever stood in it as a shed, as the north enclosure was my choice of area, however did stand where the shed was before it was even thought of.:)

Do you mean in the corner or under the pie stand ?

alwaysthereinspirit

Under the refreshment sign was the place to be in the late 70's. Dead centre.

Then the Shed corner became the place to be seen.

Jack Torrance

I remember when it was all fields:)

er....no I don't but the corner was my favourite. Bayern Munich. Nuff said.

Do you mean in the corner or under the pie stand ?

Mebbe I have the wrong area I don't remember the pie stand, the shed I am thinking of is the area at the west side of the north, school end. It was the first corner covered. The pie stand that I remember was at the Gorgie Road end in the east corner. My spot to watch from was north enclosure right at the tunnel about half way up.

I cannot to be honest ever remember buying any food or drink at Tynie when there to watch a game, at away grounds would have a cup of bovril but that was it.

The shed was built in the 50's during the glory years with all these trophies. The "fanatical" Hearts support used to troll round behind each goal and didn't pay too much attention to the shed, even if it was pelting down. Then sometime around '67, a small group of mainly Manor Branch supporters started congregating in front of the pie stand in the Shed. They were a smart bunch and worked out that this was a great echo chamber for chants and songs. This also coincided with a strong current of unionist nonsense, which basically was spawned from that nucleus who first started congregating in the shed. Often when a game was kind of exciting, a lot of people would peel away in the second half and go round behind the goal Hearts were attacking.

As the "dark days" set in - that nucleus of support, still organised from the Manor Branch became significantly more important, as crowds dwindled. That group were also the core of the travelling support.

Looking back, you could certainly criticise the motives of some of the people involved in that group. But, in fact, they formed a core of Hearts fanatics that stuck with the team through the ups and downs between the top and second division.

Miller Jambo 60

Remember it well,including the 5-1 win over Locomotive Leipzig in 76.

My mates making a barrier round me as i was just out of hospital after getting my appendix removed.

Can still smell the old brewery and all the pash running down from the back wall.

aye memories.:)

Clerry Jambo

Oh this thread will bring out the oldies like Moi!! aka my signature.

So many memories of THEE Shed especially when the "twirly " started and carried on round the old ground - oh goose bumps starting already.

Older inhabitants of JKB will remember the days when at the corner of the shed the Hoolies would gather on Derby day, split by the Thin Blue Line, which didn't last too long and all you could see where legs, arms, dust whatever. OK maybe not PC but that's how it was.

Brilliant atmosphere at the Big games, but the Tynie we know know can still recreate that feeling as we heard that night when we qualified for the Champs League...............christ if only Vlad would get his finger oot:mad:

I would have liked to have been a Hearts supporter from the very beginning, until now & then into the future but it's not possible.

alwaysthereinspirit
Remember it well,including the 5-1 win over Locomotive Leipzig in 76.

My mates making a barrier round me as i was just out of hospital after getting my appendix removed.

Can still smell the old brewery and all the pash running down from the back wall.

aye memories.:)

Leipzig game was nuts. Remember climbing over the wall after the game with hundreds of others just to run around on the pitch.

Whoever we got in the next round would have no chance after that night. :eek:

Under the refreshment sign was the place to be in the late 70's. Dead centre.

Then the Shed corner became the place to be seen.

Under the pie stand for me for a few years... then the corner for a while... eventually behind the goals at the school end.... was there for the famous Fergie goal ... magic days

Used to go to the games with my dad, uncles, cousins it really was a family affair. Christ I miss that too.:sad:

Met in the Ace OF Hearts Supporters Club.

In the ground the "corner shed" was pretty sedate so thats where we all went.

But me and my cousins always asked to go down to the wall, was always told it was ok as long as we stayed away from the Shed.

Soon as we got out of sight we bolted along to the shed, stood at the bottom so we could see, but the atmosphere was electric even when the crowds were pretty low. First sight of Big Bernie and his Gorgie Boot Boys in there, singing some song about "Bovver Boots wi golden laces" I was awestruck.

An old guy stood in the exact same place at the wall in front of the shed. same place, every week for years. Dirty Brown Coat and a Maroon Cordrouy Cap, can still see him now.

To quote an old song though, "those days are past now and in the past they must remain" Miss it from time to time though.

Under the pie stand for me for a few years... then the corner for a while... eventually behind the goals at the school end.... was there for the famous Fergie goal ... magic days

I was the same. Always a brilliant atmosphere in the big games, swayin from back of shed right down to the front.

I used to like standing at the very back just in the shed at the School End. No idea why... I then graduated to the benches as I like sitting. :rolleyes:l

MacDonald Jardine
I used to like standing at the very back just in the shed at the School End. No idea why... I then graduated to the benches as I like sitting. :rolleyes:l

Right beside the away support then? :ohmy:

sauchiejambo

I remember the first time I came back on leave and went to a game after they had put those benches in I was shocked I could not believe they had done it ....

pupstersajambo

Was never a shed man, always used to meet the boys in the corner, same barrier every week. Every time we scored, the surge almost all the way to the fence at the corner flag was immense, great memories.

TyphoonJambo

Bovver boots and yellow laces, harrington jackets and even builders hats when the darts were flying, all great memories

TyphoonJambo

Shed any day for me. We used to finish our Saturday milk round then jump on the float to the Gorgie dairy. Get round to the school end and dodge the coppers to climb over the school end, drop into a lake of pish and into the shed.Spend the time alternating between the crush in the shed and behind the goals to talk to Crukie, great days inded. Does anyone remember the derby game when the cops put the Hobos in the shed and us in the gorgie road en with half and half below the pie stand, absolute bloody mayhem as we took the shed back, running battles, golf balls, bottles and darts, I dont think my bird was impressed with her first date but I friggin loved it. PC brigade, sorry but different days,different values!!!

terrible_groaning_noise

anyone remember the derby game when the cops put the Hobos in the shed and us in the gorgie road en with half and half below the pie stand, absolute bloody mayhem as we took the shed back, running battles, golf balls, bottles and darts,

Jeez I remember this, I was only a wee nipper at the time getting led astray by my big bruver, I remember hanging on to the rail at the back in front of the refreshment sign hanging on for grim death, and edinburghs finest booting our hands trying to get us back...........happy days........I think!

Clerry Jambo
Shed any day for me. We used to finish our Saturday milk round then jump on the float to the Gorgie dairy. Get round to the school end and dodge the coppers to climb over the school end, drop into a lake of pish and into the shed.Spend the time alternating between the crush in the shed and behind the goals to talk to Crukie, great days inded. Does anyone remember the derby game when the cops put the Hobos in the shed and us in the gorgie road en with half and half below the pie stand, absolute bloody mayhem as we took the shed back, running battles, golf balls, bottles and darts, I dont think my bird was impressed with her first date but I friggin loved it. PC brigade, sorry but different days,different values!!!

Hahahahaah exactly Typoon, maybe nothing to be pwoud off in the current climate but YOU STOOD YOUR GROUND ESPECIALLY ON YOUR OWN PATCH, if you get my drift.

Thig Ar Latha
Leipzig game was nuts. Remember climbing over the wall after the game with hundreds of others just to run around on the pitch.

Whoever we got in the next round would have no chance after that night. :eek:

We played Hamburg in the next round and they hammered us 4-1 and 4-0. Probably the best Team I've seen against Hearts at Tynecastle. They were great and went on to win the Cup Winners Cup that year.

We played Hamburg in the next round and they hammered us 4-1 and 4-0. Probably the best Team I've seen against Hearts at Tynecastle. They were great and went on to win the Cup Winners Cup that year.

Sorry to be picky but I think we lost 4-2 away as I remember thinking it was a better result than losing 2-0 away to Lokomotiv. Either way they hammered us.

Remember the Shed in front of the pie stall well. Moving round to the corner was never the same.

If I'm not mistaken I'm sure a fair amount of the Dave MacKay transfer fee paid for the Shed.

alwaysthereinspirit

They actually beat us 4 - 2 in Hamburg and 4 - 1 at Tynie. They were unbelievable. I remember after we lost 2 - 0 away to Leipzig and hammered them at Tynecastle that we'd easily turn around the 4 - 2 loss to Hamburg. Yeah right. We did have Brian Wilson in goal that night though. :sad:

We alaways had the shed.

Except for when we played celtic or rangers.

It used to always annoy the f%$k out of me.

Until that memorable day against celtic in an end of season game.

When we took it back.

Led by Big Kenny Baxter.

I think we won 4-1 that day aswell

Had some crazy times in there.

When the police used to keep the fans apart in a line down the terrace.

Until the numbers just made it impossible

Happy daze.

:)

Clerry Jambo
We alaways had the shed.

Except for when we played celtic or rangers.

It used to always annoy the f%$k out of me.

Until that memorable day against celtic in an end of season game.

When we took it back.

Led by Big Kenny Baxter.

I think we won 4-1 that day aswell

Had some crazy times in there.

When the police used to keep the fans apart in a line down the terrace.

Until the numbers just made it impossible

Happy daze.

;);)

husref musemic

I was a mid shed regular through the 80's and 90's untill they took it all away ....you bar stewards. A crime.

highlight for me was bayern munich and fergies goal. amazing sways and singing.

magic abuse for the OF and hubs when they came, was better than the football at times. Say what you want, do what you want and if you didn't like it then shuffle along.

mind jumping on the school end pie stand roof when robbo scored last minute against the weegie minks.

Thig Ar Latha

:o

Sorry to be picky but I think we lost 4-2 away as I remember thinking it was a better result than losing 2-0 away to Lokomotiv. Either way they hammered us.

Remember the Shed in front of the pie stall well. Moving round to the corner was never the same.

If I'm not mistaken I'm sure a fair amount of the Dave MacKay transfer fee paid for the Shed.

They actually beat us 4 - 2 in Hamburg and 4 - 1 at Tynie. They were unbelievable. I remember after we lost 2 - 0 away to Leipzig and hammered them at Tynecastle that we'd easily turn around the 4 - 2 loss to Hamburg. Yeah right. We did have Brian Wilson in goal that night though. :sad:

Sorry, your both right. Time and drink play funny tricks with my mind. I do, however the game very well. One of the few times I almost feel privalaged to see a Team beating us. Like you I thought we could do some damage after the Leipzig game. Things went down hill rapidly after that, were we not relegated that season? :o

Thig Ar Latha
I was a mid shed regular through the 80's and 90's untill they took it all away ....you bar stewards. A crime.

highlight for me was bayern munich and fergies goal. amazing sways and singing.

magic abuse for the OF and hubs when they came, was better than the football at times. Say what you want, do what you want and if you didn't like it then shuffle along.

mind jumping on the school end pie stand roof when robbo scored last minute against the weegie minks.

I remember the bananas being thrown when Mark Walters played for the Huns. Hearts fan took pelters for that in the Weegie Press for that. They forget to mention that the same thing happened at Darkheid the week or two before that. When its brought up now, its always Hearts fans who did it and the Tic are conveniently left out of the discussion. :mad:

: Things went down hill rapidly after that, were we not relegated that season? :o

Sadly I think you're correct this time:mad:

Cappuccino Kid

Old shed under the cameras and below the pie stand gantry was the true shed for people of my age.

Once they put the seats in moved to the pie stand at the school end. (See Brian Whittaker's free kick)

My memories of the shed were changing ends at half-time and trying not to catch the eye of some weegie ****. Being about 12 at the time and not very big had something to do with it. I can also remember a game against Dundee when my mates and I were at our usual barrier at the corner and some clown chucked a Newcie Brown Bottle. It came off 4-5 heads before disappearing. The crowd were cheering as it kept on bouncing off heads. It was as though folk were jumping to nod it on.

As for the Leipzig game, what a game, I think it might have been snowing(or was it just rain).

Can anybody remember a game against Dundee Utd that went to penalties. Stood in the corner watching Hamish McAlpine miss from the spot. First time I'd seen a goal keeper take anything more than a bye-kick.

Cappuccino Kid
I remember the bananas being thrown when Mark Walters played for the Huns. Hearts fan took pelters for that in the Weegie Press for that. They forget to mention that the same thing happened at Darkheid the week or two before that. When its brought up now, its always Hearts fans who did it and the Tic are conveniently left out of the discussion. :mad:

Shortly after we played Dundee Utd and that day a transfer deal for 2 Brazilians to DU had fallen through. Conversation in front of me went:-

"Glad that deal for they Brazilians fell threw before tonight"

Mate - " Why's that?"

"Cause ah cannae afford tae chuck jars of coffee at them"

Still think it was one of the best lines that stick out going to a game.

You will remember the Miginley chant, Vlad talks about mafia now, that clown hated us, him and his buddy Valentine.Never gave us a thing.

And how I laughed when he was arrested with a young man in his car. :)

Can anyone recall the shocking sight of the benches demolished & the shed literally split in two when we were building the Wheatfield stand? A big ****ing temporary fence along half of the shed and the entire school end without cover.

I think about the end of the 1993 season?

I remember a midweek game in those suroundings. Good atmosphere though.

I only had 4 years in the shed & we were ***** back then (although the 91/92 was not bad), but I loved it all the same.

Does anyone know the name of the guy who used to stand at the back of the crowd in front of the pie stall and lead all the singing in the early 70's. He used to have a really loud voice and lots of hair.

I'm sure I've seen him since but he seems a shadow of the man I remember for the early/mid 70's.

Can anyone recall the shocking sight of the benches demolished & the shed literally split in two when we were building the Wheatfield stand? A big ****ing temporary fence along half of the shed and the entire school end without cover.

I think about the end of the 1993 season?

I remember a midweek game in those suroundings. Good atmosphere though.

I only had 4 years in the shed & we were ***** back then (although the 91/92 was not bad), but I loved it all the same.

Yeah, it was against Dundee Utd. Craig Levein and Stevie Frail scored for us.

It was a horrible site seeing the shed being demolished :(

Thig Ar Latha
Does anyone know the name of the guy who used to stand at the back of the crowd in front of the pie stall and lead all the singing in the early 70's. He used to have a really loud voice and lots of hair.

I'm sure I've seen him since but he seems a shadow of the man I remember for the early/mid 70's.

Would it have been Chris Lyle by any chance? One hell of a voice.

Wore a parka with a target on the back in the shed once, only to find after the game it was covered in gob.

And that was my fellow Hearts fans :)

Never wore that Parka again to the footie.

Incidentally the Gorgie Punks and Skins never hit the bullseye, losers :P

I really don't know what his name was, but he had a sort of Billy Connolly look about him (perhaps without the beard) and I seem to remember he could start a song from nothing. His "Give us an H" or "C'mon the Jam Tarts" could always get the crowd going.

I was in my teens at the time and I suppose he was probably mid 20's.

** brings back memories .....

Chris Lyle.

He eventually got a scarf like mine.

lol

Was not him.

Although he was always there.

Was he the real Drylaw Hearts.

:rolleyes:

Wore a parka with a target on the back in the shed once, only to find after the game it was covered in gob.

Scarfers always ruled.

The more scarfs the better.

lol

Thig Ar Latha

If I remember correctly, as a youngster, there was a Dundee Utd Match at Tynecastle where they definately did hit bulls eye on the Dundee Utd fans in Wheatfield Street. All forty of them, except the boy in the Duthel coat. Apperently you did'nt hit folk in duthel coats. A revenge attack for some incindent at Tannadice IIRC.

Sorry, but non PC was the norm in these days. :rolleyes:

J.T.F.Robertson

Anyone remember the "Rod Stewart" guy, sometime around the late '60's, early '70's? I know ..... :( Always wore braces, DM'S, trendy (for the time) gear, with his hair all over the shop.

Jam Tarts 1874

One of the best things I remember about the old shed was the TV gantry perched on top of the pie stand. You were able to see which channel's cameras were there and maybe get a glipse of Archie or Arthur and give them a wee bit of stick, happy days!

Archived