Quick Qu: At what point did Hearts become known as the 'Jam Tarts'?

Craigieboy

Rabbie_Burns
Just wondering.

From a reliable source; this apparently first appeared towards the end of WW1 with the men (particularly those in McCraes battalion) returning home from the western front having been mixing and associating with cockney soldiers.

Supposedly this is where they picked up the art of 'rhyming slang' and hence came about 'the Jam Tarts'

Buffalo Bill

'Jam Tarts' is a much better nickname than 'Jambos'.

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

I'm with you BB.

Buffalo Bill

Very True.

When & why did the whole Jambo's thing start??

Very True.

That would be interesting as well.

It's basically a bahsterdisation of Jam Tarts.

I like Jam Tarts & Heart of Midlothian.

Jambos & Hearts just dinnae click with me.

Jambos is cringeworthy.I think it was post Dens it became widely used but I feckin hate it.

Totally agree.

"Aye, he's a die hard Jambo likes".

It almost sounds insulting.

Don't know why, it just does.

Did Jambo not come in 85/86ish season. It was an away game to ayr or something and about the time rambo was in the pics. the back page was a hearts player covered in mud after a hard 1-0 win (something like this, im only 23) and the headline was Jam-bo... so sort of pun on rambo.

I like Jambo, but that is uslly used more for the fans, while jam tarts is for the team

Thig Ar Latha
Very True.

I first heard the Word 'Jambo' in the very hot summer of 1976, some folk from Musselburgh were staying in the same Hotel as us in Blackpool. They used it all the time, but it was never in common use till the mid to late eighties.

There was a very good thread on this with some interesting answers within the last year.:)

Teuchterjambo
Just wondering.

I may be wrong but I thought the Jam Tarts started in the early 60's and may be linked to a League Cup Final win over I think Kilmarnock when Norrie Davidson scored the winning goal. May be wrong but seem to remember reading something about that.

Whatever - I agree with BB the old JT's is much better than Jambos,

J.T.F.Robertson

JT's is fine .... Jam Tarts ..... sounds a bit "iffy" to me now, for some reason. :o

Buffalo Bill

much, much, much better

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Jambos are what fans of other teams call us. I've never heard a Hearts fan describe him/herself, or any other Hearts fan, as a Jambo.

Jambos are what fans of other teams call us. I've never heard a Hearts fan describe him/herself, or any other Hearts fan, as a Jambo.

:confused::confused:

I think you might want to have a trawl through the list of Usernames on Kickback. I'd guess there must be a few hundred who've called themselves Jambo in their Username.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
:confused::confused:

I think you might want to have a trawl through the list of Usernames on Kickback. I'd guess there must be a few hundred who've called themselves Jambo in their Username.

Yeah, but they're all morons.

:cool:

Very True.

How many times have I posted this. The term Jambo was initiated by a Ghanian student, Joe Kabuga, sitting in the Gravediggers one wet wintry midweek night, sometime in the early 80's. There were a bunch of Hearts supporters sitting at a table, discussing the game, talking about players and sometimes inserting an "o" after their name (get the idea Robbo, Zico etc). Kabuga was a bit confused by this as his English was basically sunday school English learned in Ghana. He suddenly said, "if sonso is sonso-O, then that makes all you guys Jambos".

Kabuga was also having a word play as jambo means "hello" in Swahili.

The term is also linked to a date around the first Rambo movie realease in 1982 and the relative fame of the Gorilla named Jambo, who "saved" a kid that fell into his enclosure in 1986.

My preference - Jam Tart - anyday.

Charlie-Brown

The forums top poster is a 'jambo' user-id...........................:rolleyes:

Cappuccino Kid

As someone who hates the term Hearts Fc as oppossed to Heart of Midlothian FC. I have always found the term Jamtart a bit poncy.

Just my opinion of course. Jamtart sound's something nice and sweet and unless you are truly doing irony that is not the travelling support i've known in the past 30 years.

WorldChampions1902
From a reliable source; this apparently first appeared towards the end of WW1 with the men (particularly those in McCraes battalion) returning home from the western front having been mixing and associating with cockney soldiers.

Supposedly this is where they picked up the art of 'rhyming slang' and hence came about 'the Jam Tarts'

Absolutely correct RB.

WWI is also the origin of the phrase "Hearts, Hearts Glorious Hearts". I used to think that this term had its roots in the line from the 1950's Hearts song but it actually relates to newspaper headlines reporting the sacrifice made by McCraes Battalion during the Great War.

During the 1989 season of our glorious UEFA cup run I was talking to a Londoner in my local boozer. When I mentioned I supported Hearts he said 'oh , the old jam tarts !'.

Whatever the truth of its origins , I absolutely hate the term 'jambo'. It just sounds awful. When I started out in the mid 60s it was not a term I ever recall being shouted out at Tynie.

During the 1989 season of our glorious UEFA cup run I was talking to a Londoner in my local boozer. When I mentioned I supported Hearts he said 'oh , the old jam tarts !'.

Whatever the truth of its origins , I absolutely hate the term 'jambo'. It just sounds awful. When I started out in the mid 60s it was not a term I ever recall being shouted out at Tynie.

They should know - in 85/86 Saint and Greavsie used to cover the SPL every week by opening with - "lets see how these Jam Tarts are doing"......

gents, both of them......... in my best London accent

Are you all saying that in the deep heat of Mud, Slade, T-Rex, Sweet and Edinburgh gang warfare, it had nothing to do with, "Vambo, coming to the rescue"?

I think not - there's your inspiration, right there.

You're welcome.:cool:

I feel there is a need to buck the trend, I actually prefer the nickname Jambo's, which I think refers to the supporters, whereas Jam Tarts is more related to the team. I think Jam Tarts now sounds a bit outdated anyway!

Anyway, lets hope the Hertz wins today!

Hearts Heritage

The earliest 'nickname', I've found is just being referred to as

'The Heart'

the stone rose
I feel there is a need to buck the trend, I actually prefer the nickname Jambo's, which I think refers to the supporters, whereas Jam Tarts is more related to the team. I think Jam Tarts now sounds a bit outdated anyway!

Anyway, lets hope the Hertz wins today!

Exactly what i think. If someone asks who i support i would say i'm a jambo. then the team i go to support on saturday are the Jam Tarts (or JT's as i usually call them). Might just be because i started supporting hearts in the 80's.

Doctor FinnBarr
How many times have I posted this. The term Jambo was initiated by a Ghanian student, Joe Kabuga, sitting in the Gravediggers one wet wintry midweek night, sometime in the early 80's. There were a bunch of Hearts supporters sitting at a table, discussing the game, talking about players and sometimes inserting an "o" after their name (get the idea Robbo, Zico etc). Kabuga was a bit confused by this as his English was basically sunday school English learned in Ghana. He suddenly said, "if sonso is sonso-O, then that makes all you guys Jambos".

Kabuga was also having a word play as jambo means "hello" in Swahili.

The term is also linked to a date around the first Rambo movie realease in 1982 and the relative fame of the Gorilla named Jambo, who "saved" a kid that fell into his enclosure in 1986.

My preference - Jam Tart - anyday.

I worked in Duff Street, Dalry around this time and remember a freebie magazine coming in every month from the Gorgie and Dalry Tenants Association. In it was a cartoon called Jambo that had its lead character wearing a scarf round his head Rambo fashion. I always thought it looked like Big Bernie!

:)

The voice of the people wont like that...sorry I meant jamborobbo:p

Jambo_in_Madrid

My old boy grew up in Dalry through the 30's and 40's, and was a passionate Hearts fan till the day he passed away. He often referred to Hearts as the "JT's" or the "Jam Tarts" but did tell me that when he was a yougster the term "Jambos" simply did not exist, and if the truth be told, he didn't like it too much.

I've honestly no idea where it came from, but when I was watching Hearts regularly through the 70's/80's and 90's I often used "Jambos" to refer to the fans and "JT's or Jam Tarts" to refer to the team.

Archived