Samsung Omnia

Guest GhostHunter

Guest GhostHunter

Just bought one of these mofo's - coming on Tuesday...

Finally gave up on the 6500 Slide - biggest pile of junk Nokia has ever made..

The omnia is supposedly on a par if not better than the mighty iphone - and comes with Opera and 16GB as standard

Anyone got one yet ?

The omnia is supposedly on a par if not better than the mighty iphone - and comes with Opera and 16GB as standard

Anyone got one yet ?

I just recommended that phone to a mate without thinking. :eek:

I'm cancelling my Viewty contract once i'm back from my holidays and definately considering the new Samsung. Let me know how it fares after a weeks usage or so.

I've had the Omnia for a week. Best phone i've ever owned. In my opinion it is better than the iPhone.

Reasons being, amazing camera, GPS and Sat Nav, Plays DivX and Xvid, can install any windows mobile app, of which there are many and lots "free" via torrents, great sound, better than my iPod.

I have the 8 gig version but if you get the 16gig, you can stick an 8 gig card in it. 24 gig is a lot of space

Would have thought the answer is obvious! I have a phone, camera, sat nav and mp3 in one device rather than 4 individual items and at times, i need all these things

Would have thought the answer is obvious! I have a phone, camera, sat nav and mp3 in one device rather than 4 individual items and at times, i need all these things

The Sat Nav I can understand; nothing worse than being lost. A camera? For everyday use? Nah; not unless you're a 14 year old girl with Bebo.

And the price of a normal phone plus a decent MP3 player is, I'd bet, a hell of a lot cheaper than the latest jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none monstrosity from whatever company.

Not really, my contract was up so I get a new phone for free. I use the phone and mp3 player every day, sat nav most days and it's handy to have a camera whenever i might need one. Can also do emails, word docs etc which i need for my job

Might not be the thing for you but I find it incredibly handy

Not really, my contract was up so I get a new phone for free. I use the phone mp3 player every day, sat nav most days and it's handy to have a camera whenever i might need one. Can also do emails, word docs etc which i need for my job

Might not be the thing for you but I find it incredibly handy

Just use a computer; that's what they're for!! OK, we're never going to get anywhere with this discussion. :laugh:

Let's agree to disagree!

Guest GhostHunter

I'm taken with the 7.2 Mbps internet connection - in theory, broadband speed :) Means I now can do JKB 24/7.... :D

Oh, and being able to watch movies on the phone is a huge plus....

MrBones - quick question tho - with the sat nav thing, do you get charged when you're using it ?

coppercrutch

IMO this is the best phone about.

Simple. Classy. Solid. Good camera. Decent internet if you need it.

Oh and you can make phone calls on it.....;)

Done.

nokia_6300_small_LRG.jpg

Clark Griswold

Anyone got one yet ?

Dex, you ever had a samsung before? I have had 2 Samsungs in the past and hated both of them.

For one, the screens are scratched, crack easily. They also have a crappy GUI which lacks the nokia/sony ericsson's navigation. (unless they have inproved it). I was really impressed with the touch screen LG phone with 5megapixel camera.

Anyway just thought I'd share my opinion :welldone:

Dex, you ever had a samsung before? I have had 2 Samsungs in the past and hated both of them.

For one, the screens are scratched, crack easily. They also have a crappy GUI which lacks the nokia/sony ericsson's navigation. (unless they have inproved it). I was really impressed with the touch screen LG phone with 5megapixel camera.

Anyway just thought I'd share my opinion :welldone:

It's not a normal Samsung interface, it's built on windows mobile. I hated Samsungs before too, sold the u600 3 months after i got it. It's got a great 5 megapixel camera.

Dex, GPS is free to connect to but you do, in theory, have to buy Sat Nav software (or get a torrent :) ) When you're driving about you don't get charged anything for receiving the GPS info

Suckers.:laugh:

Why do you keep paying through the nose for junk?

So what if this phone is on par with the Iphone, the Iphone is a lump of overpriced, outdated crap that only a brainwashed idiot would buy.

P.S A phone won't bring you happiness.

Guest GhostHunter
It's not a normal Samsung interface, it's built on windows mobile. I hated Samsungs before too, sold the u600 3 months after i got it. It's got a great 5 megapixel camera.

Dex, GPS is free to connect to but you do, in theory, have to buy Sat Nav software (or get a torrent :) ) When you're driving about you don't get charged anything for receiving the GPS info

- Cheers :) Like you had previous Samsungs and binned both, this though, is Windows 9.1 Mobile (I think) and presses my button like :)

So what if this phone is on par with the Iphone, the Iphone is a lump of overpriced, outdated crap that only a brainwashed idiot would buy.

- It was free on my contract, so I haven't paid a penny - best things in life always ARE free ;)

- Cheers :) Like you had previous Samsungs and binned both, this though, is Windows 9.1 Mobile (I think) and presses my button like :)

- It was free on my contract, so I haven't paid a penny - best things in life always ARE free ;)

hmmmmmm ;)

You don't get anything for free in this world save for maybe the air you breathe (at least until the government find a way they can tax you for it).

"Buy one, get one FREE." the genius of brainwashing

Guest GhostHunter
hmmmmmm ;)

You don't get anything for free in this world save for maybe the air you breathe (at least until the government find a way they can tax you for it).

"Buy one, get one FREE." the genius of brainwashing

I got that one covered...

The wife pays my contract :D

Oh wait a minute...that doesn't work does it..

:rofl:

Surprisingly neither does supporting Hibs, BUT people actually do it!!!:eek::eek:

Clark Griswold

Dex, what contract you got? HOw much p/m,tariff and which network? Can't seem to find this phone on o2 website... Is this because of the iphone? I can find the phone on other websites.

Im due an upgrade and like the sound of this despite my lack of enthusiasm for samsung.

Cheers

Dex, what contract you got? HOw much p/m,tariff and which network? Can't seem to find this phone on o2 website... Is this because of the iphone? I can find the phone on other websites.

Im due an upgrade and like the sound of this despite my lack of enthusiasm for samsung.

Cheers

The only networks that are carrying this phone at the moment are Orange and Vodafone.

I'm getting a new phone sometime this weekend,

I'm tore between the Omnia, the N958GB and the iPhone.

I use the web loads on my current mobile phone so a good browser is a must for my new phone.

I don't really like the look of windows mobile, I would like to think that there will be themes for it as the one you see in all the omnia preview vids look guff. The iPhone without doubt has the best user interface of all 3 phones and really is a superb looking phone and the applications available for it are amazing.

The iPhone only has a 2mp camera though and against the other 2 phones it cannot begin to compare in quality.

Any suggestions guys?

Surprisingly neither does supporting Hibs, BUT people actually do it!!!:eek::eek:
That's down to poor (in)breeding though :107years:

Guest GhostHunter

My tariff is Panther 55 - 1800 mins any network, unlimited texts and a cuddly toy

:D

And yes, I STILL manage to go over my allowance every month !

Ray Winstone

I am due an upgrade at the end of this month.

Have a Samsung g600 (i think thats the number)

Worst phone I have ever had. Extremely unreliable and the signal is utter ****e! It does not even matter where you are at the time!

Cant wait to get rid.

The Wicker Man

I had a look of the phone last week - though holding out for a shifty at the i8510, which should be available next week.

There are a few other phones coming out before Christmas - Nokia N96 & SE 905.

I'm on O2 at present but their offerings on handsets are pathetic, seems to be related to over spending on the iphone.

Clark Griswold

Seriously considering this phone now.

Whats the difference between the omnia and tocco????

marshallschunkychicken

The Omnia is a great phone.

I'm waiting for my renewal so that I can get a HTC Touch Diamond. Does all the same stuff as the omnia, looks cracking as well.

Windows Mobile has been the way to go for years now...

So I took the dip and ordered the iPhone today, getting it on Tuesday.

I just felt that no other mobile on the market could stand up to its user interface and the amount of free applications had me bought.

Windows mobile 6 looks to much like a pc for me, I don't need a pc in my pocket, just something fun and simple to use will do me.

The Omnia is a great phone.

I'm waiting for my renewal so that I can get a HTC Touch Diamond. Does all the same stuff as the omnia, looks cracking as well.

Windows Mobile has been the way to go for years now...

I had the HTC Touch Diamond on trial for a week and was impressed but for a few things....

The battery life was terrible, there were days I had to charge up overnight and later in the day.

The interface is very nice, however I did have a day when the interface would not initialise, rendering the phone useless for a day.

The touch-flo screen is nice and easy to use but for email the keyboard is a little small for touchscreen, although you do have an option to do two letters per key making the buttons a little larger.

I currently have an HTC TyTN which is great for work, a bit of a brick mind and will be going for the Omnia very soon.

My sony K810i packed in yesterday phoned orange up "sorry the k810i are out of stock, we will need to send you the c902" not sure what it is like anyone got one and give me some feed back.

Dex says he is'nt happy.

The phone did'nt set his world alight and now he is depressed.

back on the happy tablets:cool::cool::cool:;);)

marshallschunkychicken
Dex says he is'nt happy.

The phone did'nt set his world alight and now he is depressed.

Seriously?

I was beginning to contemplate going for it too....

I am due an upgrade at the moment but I have a conundrum.

If i wait until my contract is almost up at the start of November I will get a much better deal from them.

At the moment paying 25 quid a month for 100 mintues and 1000 texts.

They will give me 200 minutes and unlimited texts for 15quid or 400 minutes and unlimited texts for 20 quid if I wait until then plus any phone I want for free.

Trouble is my phone atm is the biggest pile of **** this side of Edinburgh!

And if I change now they will give me the 200minutes and unlimited texts for 20quid plus the phone I want for 50quid and most others for free.

Dont know what to do.

Phones its between are Nokia 6220 and Sony Ericcson c905 (which comes out in 2 weeks)

I am due an upgrade at the moment but I have a conundrum.

If i wait until my contract is almost up at the start of November I will get a much better deal from them.

At the moment paying 25 quid a month for 100 mintues and 1000 texts.

They will give me 200 minutes and unlimited texts for 15quid or 400 minutes and unlimited texts for 20 quid if I wait until then plus any phone I want for free.

Trouble is my phone atm is the biggest pile of **** this side of Edinburgh!

And if I change now they will give me the 200minutes and unlimited texts for 20quid plus the phone I want for 50quid and most others for free.

Dont know what to do.

Phones its between are Nokia 6220 and Sony Ericcson c905 (which comes out in 2 weeks)

I got mine today from Orange and its a cracking phone depends what you want it for but what i need it for it does enough.

My Contract runs out on 26th Sept i get another free phone.

Awesome-ness

Unfreakingly the best phone ever....

Try SPB mobile suite of stuff, in particular SPB mobile shell. You could perhaps type SPB mobile into mininova.com to get it.

Lots of nice apps and skins for the Omnia

Clark Griswold

Will you two stop it!! You are making me jealous :( I think i may go up to o2 tomorrow to see if i can upgrade now.

Whats the best bit about the phone?

The Wicker Man
I think i may go up to o2 tomorrow to see if i can upgrade now

You'll be lucky! - been trying to get a decent handset from them for weeks.

The Nokia N95 8Gb is only free on their ?75 tariff - I can get the handset free for ?35 from most other shops.

Both the new Samsungs only appear to be available on Orange - from the High Street Stores.

Clark Griswold
You'll be lucky! - been trying to get a decent handset from them for weeks.

The Nokia N95 8Gb is only free on their ?75 tariff - I can get the handset free for ?35 from most other shops.

Both the new Samsungs only appear to be available on Orange - from the High Street Stores.

I had the Nokia N95 this time and it sucks big time.

The Samsung Tocco is on their website but no Omnia on o2. Hopefully be available in store.i really cant afford to stray from o2 since my broadband is with them and would go up if i cancelled my contract...

Guest GhostHunter

Still getting to grips with it, but the wifi rocks, the fact the screen automatically changes to landscape if you turn the phone round, it has hspda, and the best bit so far, it actually charges when you plug the usb cable into it and connect to a PC :D

Managed to put 6 divx films on it so far, they play pretty tasty on the Media Player...

Google Maps (cough - "satnav") is sheeite... trying to find a replacement but not having much luck

marshallschunkychicken
Still getting to grips with it, but the wifi rocks, the fact the screen automatically changes to landscape if you turn the phone round, it has hspda, and the best bit so far, it actually charges when you plug the usb cable into it and connect to a PC :D

Managed to put 6 divx films on it so far, they play pretty tasty on the Media Player...

Google Maps (cough - "satnav") is sheeite... trying to find a replacement but not having much luck

Dex

depending on your level of morality regarding software, ipmart-forum.com is a good site. I'd recommend the mobile tomtom...

Plenty of freeware there too.

And in terms of the media player, I'd recommend Coreplayer.

Clark Griswold

O2 were updating their online shop last night and i thought they might have put the Omnia on it, but they haven't :(

Do you think they will ever have it?

Archived