Quick WindowsXP question

269miles

I'm trying to remove some of the junk that automatically starts up when I boot up as it takes so long to get to the point I can use my machine. I'm looking to remove stuff like MSN , PPN and others to try and speed things up.

Where do I look ?:o

heartsfc_fan

In all seriousness. Why not just back important files up then do a "Format C Drive" and start again...sometimes thats the simplest option

Start>control panel>Add and remove Programs>Msn>Remove

vice versa with the rest.

also

Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Defragment

let that run until it finishes and there might be a wee difference in speed.

Miller Jambo 60
I'm trying to remove some of the junk that automatically starts up when I boot up as it takes so long to get to the point I can use my machine. I'm looking to remove stuff like MSN , PPN and others to try and speed things up.

Control panel then programs uninstall what you want.

Hope that helps.

And MSN does slow the PC down.

Sexton Hardcastle

Download - CCleaner. in it theres a tool that removes things from the start up. It also cleans up lots of other crap and sorts the registry.

just google it.

Thanks for the responses.

Defragging isn't a problem , I'm sure of that.

I should have said I don't want to uninstall any software I just want to stop it running when I boot up ie If I want to use it I'll find it in start> all programs and initiate it from there instead of having loads of stuff start up automatically.

Commander Harris

The safest way to do this is to go through all the programs that open on startup one by one, check the options and disable the run at start-up option.

for msn go to menu>tools>options then click on the general tab and uncheck the appropriate box.

have a look through the options for the other programs you don't want to open at startup and see if you can disable them from there.

Some programs put a shortcut in the startup folder of you start menu - if you don't want these programs to run at startup you can delete the shortcut.

you can also use a windows utility called msconfig to deselect any startup items from there, but it's safer to do it through the individual program options lest you deselect something that is required.

Do you have Spybot? If you do there is an option in advanced mode then Tools then System Startup. There is an option there to uncheck several programs that slow you startup. Be careful though and dont uncheck important programs! You should be able to tell what is what fairly easily though.

Also, for the actual files that start on start-up go to "Start", "Run" then type "msconfig" - you'll find a tab for the individual files that start up and you can choose which ones to allow.......

BE VERY CAREFUL WHICH ONES YOU DESELECT!!!! Otherwise you have to re-start in SafeMode to sort out your ******-up which is a pain in the erchie!!

HTH

Archived