Mole is not the answer...

tazhearts

Despite his goal on Saturday, Mole is no the answer for Hearts up front. He looked at best an average 1st Division Player tonight. He just doesn't give us enough in terms of quality. Yes he shows for the ball and works hard but his touch when the ball is played into him is horrendous. There were numerous times tonight when the ball was played into the box and not once did I see Mole get anywhere near them. He just doesn't have that strikers instinct in the box. Oh and he is pretty gash in the air as well, especially for a target man. I hope we can get Tulberg fit ASAP and see what he can do. Lets also hope Glen gets match fit soon as I see him as a far better option than Mole. Dare I say it I would rather have seen Elliot up front tonight than Mole.

He's not the answer on his own, with a partner he still has time to show he's got it.

Tonight was the perfect opportunity to see him with a partner IMO. Only Csaba knows why he didn't take it. Nade should have started with Mole.

loveofthegame

I've been thoroughly impressed by his performances so far this season. Great link up striker. Needs a fecking partner up top though.

Chad Sexington

He's been impressive so far this season but tonight he was decidedly average.

It was summed up for me when he was clean through in the first half and took the ball wide for some reason and the chance was wasted. Then he planted a free header straight to the keeper in the second half.

He may have done better with a strike partner though.

Say What Again
Tonight was the perfect opportunity to see him with a partner IMO. Only Csaba knows why he didn't take it. Nade should have started with Mole.

I beginning to think that's somebody else that knows.

Too many recent managers have tried and failed with 1 up top. One of them must realise it isn't working.

Either that our our managerial 'selection' :rolleyes: process isn't working.

If the question is "What is the name of the small blind creature that makes mounds of earth in your lawn, then Mole is undoubtedly the answer.

Agreed dazo, why Csaba didn't play 2 tonight is beyond me.

I've never thought Mole was the answer. He can run at defenders all day, but his first touch is dire and he didn't have a clue what to do when he reached the 18 yard box tonight. I agree with two up front though, especially at a home tie against first divsion opposition.

My thoughts as well.

Tonight was the time to give Mole a rest and go with Nade and A N Other up front (possibly Glen?)

Still can't see why he persists with Karapidis in midfield, and then plays a midfield palyer (Jonsson) at right back!

Whoever picked that team tonight deserves a size 10 up their chapter and verse.

Don't think he'll ever be the answer whether he plays upfront on his own or with a partner. Problem that we have is that Nade, Ksanavicius or Makela isn't the answer either.

Glen has shown real potential and hopefully Tullberg will do well for us but we need at least one or two new strikers.

portobellojambo1

There are 4 days to go until the transfer window closes, top of our list has to be a penalty box striker. I know they do not grow on trees, but there has to be a player out there with a reputation as, at least, a good goalscorer (based on Laszlo's words recently I do not think Tullberg will be the answer I see him more as a target man than an out and out goal getter), who could do a job for us.

Mole = Elliot = Weir = Simmons = Sloan = Hammil etc etc etc. Average and nowhere near good enough to play regularly for HMFC.

My thoughts as well.

Tonight was the time to give Mole a rest and go with Nade and A N Other up front (possibly Glen?)

Still can't see why he persists with Karapidis in midfield, and then plays a midfield palyer (Jonsson) at right back!

Whoever picked that team tonight deserves a size 10 up their chapter and verse.

Nade probably wouldn't have lasted until half time. Tonight showed up some glaringly obvious defficiencies we have known for some time.

No full backs

In need of a right sided (proper) centre half

None of our holding midfielders are really up to scratch - hence Karapidis insead of Jonsson or Palazuelas

Wide men that can't cross ball - Although with practice makes perfect, Driver must be in with a good shout of doing better than ok

No goalscorer.

That's if you want to have instant success. But we don't have the money for 6 or so new first teamers. Damn obvious but it's up to Csaba to move some on (some won't be prepared to go), bring some in and bring in some relative organisation and get the best out of what we have.

Despite the setback, there are signs of some small positive forward steps

Charlie-Brown

Mole is being asked to do a man's job on his own up front with no help from the more experienced players - I like his effort and he's making a decent job of linking play and hassling the opposition defenders - remember the kid is just 20 and needs much more support than he's been getting from his team-mates - he isn't a natural predator indeed he hangs back out of the goal-scoring area waiting / hoping the ball will break back out to him - that's probably how he will get most of his goals.....has enough good attributes to be good enough to be an SPL quality centre-forward but he needs a goal-grabber to play beside him / complement him.

Chad Sexington
Mole is being asked to do a man's job on his own up front with no help from the more experienced players - I like his effort and he's making a decent job of linking play and hassling the opposition defenders - remember the kid is just 20 and needs much more support than he's been getting from his team-mates - he isn't a natural predator indeed he hangs back out of the goal-scoring area waiting / hoping the ball will break back out to him - that's probably how he will get most of his goals.....has enough good attributes to be good enough to be an SPL quality centre-forward but he needs a goal-grabber to play beside him / complement him.

You're right, I don't think he looked like a predator tonight.

He seemed to want the ball to come directly to him in the box instead of attacking the space.

A lot of decent balls into the box went a begging tonight because nobody took a gamble.

The only ball that did land straight on his head he sent directly into the keepers arms.

I don't want to be too critical of the lad because he's impressed me this season, but tonight we needed a finisher and he didn't or couldn't deliver.

Chad, NMH I think you both make fair points however we are talking about a club who profess to want to be at least 'best of the rest'. Mole is not bad on the ball and can come out control it and pass it back twenty yards to a full back or midfielder and will run about with more enthusiasm and discipline than Elliot (for instance) but he is no way an appropriate centre forward for a team hoping to challenge for a UEFA Cup place. He is simply not good enough and would struggle to hold down a starting place in many other SPL teams.

I've been thoroughly impressed by his performances so far this season. Great link up striker. Needs a fecking partner up top though.

that's the problem. far too often he (or later Nade) would be found 30 yards from goal when we were moving forward leaving no-one in the centre.

definitely a two striker player.

Charlie-Brown
Chad, NMH I think you both make fair points however we are talking about a club who profess to want to be at least 'best of the rest'. Mole is not bad on the ball and can come out control it and pass it back twenty yards to a full back or midfielder and will run about with more enthusiasm and discipline than Elliot (for instance) but he is no way an appropriate centre forward for a team hoping to challenge for a UEFA Cup place. He is simply not good enough and would struggle to hold down a starting place in many other SPL teams.

There aren't many 20 year old centre forwards in the SPL being asked to do the job that Mole is ... ie play lone striker, harry defenders, link play, run into channels etc.....other guys in his age bracket that play up front Fletcher, McCormack, Naismith etc. all have the benefit of a big target man beside them so your not comparing apples with apples - Mole will prove to be a good SPL player but he'll be a centre-forward in the Jim Hamilton type mould.

Mole doesn't have the same experience yet as those players who play in his position (target-man / centre forward) in the SPL & looking through the teams most of them have quite experienced players in this role but Mole is one of the few young players I'm aware of currently even getting a sniff of SPL action to play this role & teams always need this kind of player or seem have at least one in their squad - also Mole will improve with age and experience but he'll only get that from playing regularly.

Charlie-Brown

I also think that Mole is a work in progress, he's only 20 years old and with less than 20 starts under his belt - unless a player is an exceptional talent it usually takes 2-3 seasons of playing regularly before players become the finished article, Mole is being asked to do a very hard shift and the kind of unglamourous work that the likes of Kenny Miller & Darcheville & DeVries do at other teams...if he was able to do this and also carry Hearts main goalscoring threat then he'd be one of the most sought after players in the SPL however it is rare that players can do both jobs and most of them are exceptional players and play in the Premiership....he needs some coaching to improve his runs & positioning inside the penalty box but the rest of his forward play has mostly been of a reasonably good standard.

Guest jambomickey

a blind man can see that mole can't play up front on his own and i blame the manager for being negative and not playing 2 up front

a blind man can see that mole can't play up front on his own and i blame the manager for being negative and not playing 2 up front

Would a mole see this though?

Well it is conceivable that Romanov/Chernenkov/Korobotcha is still picking the formation if not the players.

Colonel Kurtz
Well it is conceivable that Romanov/Chernenkov/Korobotcha is still picking the formation if not the players.

perhaps shabba could see we needed 2 up front from the start but was persuaded to play the"The Golden Child"

Also whats Spanish for dont talk to the newspapers

Guest JamboRobbo
perhaps shabba could see we needed 2 up front from the start but was persuaded to play the"The Golden Child"

So Ruben didn't play cause he spoke in the papers?

And which golden child? Miko. He's earned his starts for me (since about January at least).

Vladflu?

Even NMH recognises the system isnt right for Mole, or indeed the team - he just doesnt question the issue any further

The question is why is Csaba playing a formation which he knows isnt best, and isnt his preferred formation

I think people being honest with themselves and everyone else on here knows the answer to this.

Mole might work very well with a striking partner

He might also be a work in progress.

Scotland's third biggest team should not be playing a work in progress as their one striker. Its that simple.

No amount of spin excuses that issue IMO

And which golden child? Miko. He's earned his starts for me (since about January at least).

The problem is if the "formation" committee deem that we need to play a defender in midfield Csaba couldnt make the obvious changes to the team to accomodate both Miko and a second striker

ie Obua - Stewart - Kingston - Miko in midfield. Mole and A.N.Other up top

Colonel Kurtz

Si,and what he said,he didnt even get a run when both our CMs were fecked,and Meadowlark was lost and wanting to come off.

Miko huffs and puffs but failed to beat the first man twice in the first half when in the clear with his "crosses"

If you are sent of stupidly you are normally fined by the club and have to wait to get your place back.

Zaliukas also refused to join the team in the centre for the penalty shoot out,and you might notice not one lith volunteered to take a penalty,leaving our fullbacks and Meadowlark who was in a daze with the responsibility.

Father Tiresias
Despite his goal on Saturday, Mole is no the answer for Hearts up front. He looked at best an average 1st Division Player tonight. Dare I say it I would rather have seen Elliot up front tonight than Mole.

You're right, Mole is not the answer but with the ransfer window closing and the coach not knowing what his best striking options are, then I'm afraid we'll see him frequently in the side.

What's the betting too that he'll end up getting stick like Clum and leave the club?

Nade probably wouldn't have lasted until half time. Tonight showed up some glaringly obvious defficiencies we have known for some time.

No full backs

In need of a right sided (proper) centre half

None of our holding midfielders are really up to scratch - hence Karapidis insead of Jonsson or Palazuelas

Wide men that can't cross ball - Although with practice makes perfect, Driver must be in with a good shout of doing better than ok

No goalscorer.

That's if you want to have instant success. But we don't have the money for 6 or so new first teamers. Damn obvious but it's up to Csaba to move some on (some won't be prepared to go), bring some in and bring in some relative organisation and get the best out of what we have.

Despite the setback, there are signs of some small positive forward steps

Congrats on a good, rational summary, free from knee-jerk reaction and national bias.

Guest JamboRobbo
Si,and what he said,he didnt even get a run when both our CMs were fecked,and Meadowlark was lost and wanting to come off.

ridiculous. I heard what ruben said, which is basically just that he wants a chance to show what he can do. Something I'd hope all our players who aren't playing would be feeling.

Miko huffs and puffs but failed to beat the first man twice in the first half when in the clear with his "crosses"

If you are sent of stupidly you are normally fined by the club and have to wait to get your place back.

Agree with that. I do think Miko's effort level etc has justified him being involved in the team since January though. Previous to that, he wasn't giving 100% IMO.

Zaliukas also refused to join the team in the centre for the penalty shoot out,and you might notice not one lith volunteered to take a penalty,leaving our fullbacks and Meadowlark who was in a daze with the responsibility.

I presume we had to nominate someone to not be involved in the shootout, due to them being down to 10 men. Zaliukas had a knock and had his boots off so I presume he was the one who wasn't gonna take a pen regardless?

Do agree they should all have been in the centre circle as a team, "together", as Airdrie were though.

jambos are go!
There are 4 days to go until the transfer window closes, top of our list has to be a penalty box striker. I know they do not grow on trees, but there has to be a player out there with a reputation as, at least, a good goalscorer (based on Laszlo's words recently I do not think Tullberg will be the answer I see him more as a target man than an out and out goal getter), who could do a job for us.

I agree. Amongst the bad there were a few decent balls across the penalty last night- but there was nobody there or in front of the Airdie defender. No poacher in other words.

The glaring short coming from last night's display is that only Andy Driver in the current squad is prepared to take an opposition player on.

Full of pretty Bazza Ferguson sideways passes last night, but not quick enough to be any use against a 10 man defence. Any forward pases just showed that most of our players have a horrendus first touch for professional footballers.

Guest JamboRobbo
The glaring short coming from last night's display is that only Andy Driver in the current squad is prepared to take an opposition player on.

Chesney. :P

jambos are go!

Full of pretty Bazza Ferguson sideways passes last night, but not quick enough to be any use against a 10 man defence. Any forward pases just showed that most of our players have a horrendus first touch for professional footballers.[/QUOTE]

That is not a a fault of the system but of the forwards. On several occasions we put in defence splitting passes that came to no nothing. Their centre backs were much happier heading back forward punts than handling forward passes.

Archived