Can Edinburgh afford the trams?

david mcgee

The Mighty Thor
But then as the vast majority of flights into and out of Edinburgh Airport are not package tour flights but scheduled flights, and the vast majority of passengers are not families off on holiday, your family of four will be hugely in the minority.

If that's the case then the trams to the airport are a complete waste of time as most of the commuter passenger traffic thru Edinburgh doesn't live on the tram route. So if it's not tourists and it's not families then who exactly is it or does it fall into the seems like a good idea at the time category?

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that's the case then the trams to the airport are a complete waste of time as most of the commuter passenger traffic thru Edinburgh doesn't live on the tram route. So if it's not tourists and it's not families then who exactly is it or does it fall into the seems like a good idea at the time category?

The most recent press release from TIE is that the tram and the buses will be available on the "one ticket system", this would mean a tram journey priced at around ?1.50, if that was the case you can say goodnight to the profitable and efficient airport 100 service which charges ?3.50.

The trams will bankrupt Lothian buses, know wonder a couple of bus drivers i know are threatening strike action if they are lumbered with the trams.

jambos are go!

The trams at ?500 million is a huge project but not the biggest

in Scotland. I believe there is a billion pound project to improve the motorway system and a ?250 million project to

upgrade Craigmillar. Neither attracting the publicity of the Trams. Was not in favour of Trams but think there is no turning back.

• 1 year later...
david mcgee

2008 , can you believe it 2008!

Our streets are still a fr1ck3n disgrace and there is still no public enquiry.

The trams will rape Edinburgh tax payers for decades to come, and yet, it seems to get the same level of investigative journalism that Glasgow Rangers get.

What has happened to investigative journalism in Scotland?

Howdy Doody Jambo

10 miles of track , 10 years to build , 100 million a mile cost , 30 years to pay for it added running costs

What year will it be before the tram project starts making a profit ? 2044 ish , madness

We should have got the Egyptians to build it

Who needs a public inquiry ... which the new Labour-SNP Council/SNP Executive have kicked into the very long grass ... just read my posts on this thread!

What a shambles.

Phase I of the Tram project should be seen as the first of many. Edinburgh cannot afford not to bring it's transport system up to 21st century standard. The days of dependency on motorised public transport are numbered.

I'm sorry, but ...... I smiled when I read this. If only....

If only there was a plan for the first of many

If only this was phase 1, but it is 30% of phase 1, and no business plan or any other type of plan to move on to complete phase one, or how any future phases would link in.

If only Edinburgh council was interested in Edinburgh instead of politics.

If only the councillors had looked properly at other cities tram SYSTEMS on their jaunts.

If only........

What will happen, Edinburgh Council do not have the foresight to look at a proper integrated transport system (there is a lot more to it that just trams). They will conclude after a few years at running the part tram line at millions of pounds of a loss each year that it is not financially viable and shut it down.

What's David Begg saying about it these days?

I agree that Edinburgh can not afford to bring it's transport system up to the 21st century, but the reality is we are not prepared to carry out the planning phase properly, it will take 100 years to do it right, along with compulsory purchase orders and a lot of upset people, and it need to go beyond the boundaries of the city of Edinburgh.

10 miles of track , 10 years to build , 100 million a mile cost , 30 years to pay for it added running costs

What year will it be before the tram project starts making a profit ? 2044 ish , madness

We should have got the Egyptians to build it

Aye - and there are 1609 metres in a mile so that would pan out at ?62,150 per metre.

?62,150 per metre

Archived