Our Beautiful City (merged)

Deek

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im sure the sculpture of this topped himself over this statue as he felt he hadnt mastered the horses head and that everybody would laugh at him.

Reminds me of the guy who was in charge of the first water pipe into the city (sure it stemmed fi up Comiston, ran all the way to castlehill?). Anyway, the pipe never worked, at first. Ashamed, he fled Edinburgh there and then, without being paid, never to be seen again.

Turned out all it needed was a good whack, but by the time it started working, he had already shot the craw!:confused:

portobellojambo1

LincolnEdinburgh.jpg

On Calton Hill in Edinburgh stands a Memorial to the US Civil War, the Emancipation Monument, erected in 1893, in the form of a statue of a freed slave paying homage to US President Abraham Lincoln. This was the first monument to an American president in the United Kingdom and the only one outside the US that commemorates those who fought in the American War between the States, 1861-1865. The monument commemorates the soldiers of Scottish descent who lost their lives in that war. The inscription on the lower right of the monument is a quote from President Lincoln: To preserve the jewel of liberty in the framework of freedom.

jamboinglasgow

wow, seeing that picture of Craigleith Station is like meeting someone in the later stages of their life, getting to know them well and then seeing a picture of their youth.

I live just of the cycle track/ former railway line, and live just half a mile down from the old Craigleith Station and that is the first time I have seen what it actully looks like. I still cant imagine what a railway like that so close to my home would be like, but I am glad they are putting trams on it to share part of the way with cyclists.

Miller Jambo 60
_41559790_forthroadbridge416.jpg

My son who is in the cubs walked out to cramond island last night.

A few parents plus myself went with them, the views of Edinburgh and the River Forth were magnificent.

I dont think we realise how much beauty we have arround our beautifull city.

• 4 weeks later...

The famous McEwan hall. Funded by Sir William McEwan, the Edinburgh brewer. Owned by Edinburgh University and used for graduations.

McEwanHall24.jpg

[ATTACH]412[/ATTACH]

Picture I took from ma wee part of Edinburgh.

Brilliant picture mate. I've got a black and white one of the bridge on my staircase wall but would rather have yours.

UK_Edinburgh_Portobello02.jpg

Until the middle of the18th century, Portobello remained an area heath beside the Firth of Forth, about five miles to the east of Edinburgh, on the King's Highway to London.

The first house was built by George Hamilton in 1755. It was named Portobello House, after Puerto Bello on the Isthmus of Panama. George Hamilton was present when Puerto Bello was captured.

Some elegant houses were added between 1770 and 1830, and a short distance inland, Piershill Barracks were built in 1795.

There was an open air art deco swimming pool with high boards and generating 3ft high waves, beside the power station. The pool opened on 30 May 1936.

The pool closed for the duration of World War 2, and was covered in grass as camouflage to avoid bombing of the adjacent power station. It re-opened in June 1946 and remained open until around the 1970s when both the power station and the Open Air pool closed.

0_buildings_-_portobello_open_air_bathing_pool_ally.jpg

UK_Edinburgh_Portobello02.jpg

Until the middle of the18th century, Portobello remained an area heath beside the Firth of Forth, about five miles to the east of Edinburgh, on the King's Highway to London.

The first house was built by George Hamilton in 1755. It was named Portobello House, after Puerto Bello on the Isthmus of Panama. George Hamilton was present when Puerto Bello was captured.

Some elegant houses were added between 1770 and 1830, and a short distance inland, Piershill Barracks were built in 1795.

There was an open air art deco swimming pool with high boards and generating 3ft high waves, beside the power station. The pool opened on 30 May 1936.

The pool closed for the duration of World War 2, and was covered in grass as camouflage to avoid bombing of the adjacent power station. It re-opened in June 1946 and remained open until around the 1970s when both the power station and the Open Air pool closed.

That brings back memories, stand in a big line up to get in, clothes in a locker and a rubber wrist band to hold the locker key, watching Peter Heatley the Olympic diver practise and seeing old Ned Barnie chuffing along.

The lockers were not totally secure, somebody broke into mine and stole my shoe and I had to go home barefoot. Great days.

I P Knightley

I only tried the pool once - aged about 10.

Didn't go on the slides as mates of mine told me that the hobos put razor blades in chuggy on them. I was a little gullible as a kid... or was I?

I only tried the pool once - aged about 10.

Didn't go on the slides as mates of mine told me that the hobos put razor blades in chuggy on them. I was a little gullible as a kid... or was I?

I cant believe I jumped off the 10 metre boards when I was a kid. I get a nose bleed thinking about it now.

I dont know much about the history of the pub, but I think it is below the old Gorgie Station, correct me if I am wrong and some tales about the boozer would be good.

731044_11a1e3fd.jpg

gmarket.jpg

I love the Grassmarket (and the Cowgate) and the view of the castle from the GM. It really imposes on you from the ground there.

What an absolutely gorgeous pic :)

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Sir William Fettes was regarded as a particularly opportunistic merchant the son of a widow who sold tea in a tiny shop of Baillie Fife's close. Left the High school to work for his mother as a grocer, contractor and underwriter of sea risks. He became a merchant councillor and served on the Deacon Brodie jury. Elected Provost in 1799 and 1804 he was also a Director of the British Linen Bank (anyone remember it). As Admiral of the Firth of Forth and contractor for Naval Stores he could evade duty on goods brought-in. Also a tobacco smuggler working in collusion with the Revenue Officers. He died rich in 1836 leaving many bequests to charity. One of his intentions was to found an updated version of Heriot's Hospital but his trustees opened a public school instead. The rest, they say, is history!

I worked in their IT Department at Melville Street from 1997 - 1999.

Good times.

Stuart Lyon

johnmitchell - if I had a fiver for every time I have walked through that part of the city I would be a rich man. It can be a very tranquil spot as can the whole of the promenade all the way to Gyps Brae on the less warm days i.e. when there are not so many people about. As I lived nearby ***** Brae, Silverknowes & Crammond when a wee boy (a long time ago) it was always an adventure going down there on almost a daily basis. Has to be my favourite spot in the city.

• 3 weeks later...

Duddingston Loch

196575582_4e55de14ec.jpg?v=0

Duddingston is a loch and bird sanctuary lying immediately to the south of Holyrood Park and the south west of Duddingston village in Edinburgh. It is extends to 20 acres, but with a maximum depth of only 10 feet. The loch,has been a sanctuary since 1925. On its southern shore is the Bawsinch Nature Reserve. The loch incorporates sizeable reed-beds, the most extensive in the Lothians, and offers excellent bird-watching opportunities including wintering wildfowl, heron and great crested grebe.

A hoarde of 53 Late Bronze Age weapons was dredged from the loch in 1778 and are now held by the National Museums of Scotland.

Stuart this is the important button you need to insert a picture.

insertimage_thumb.gif

copy your web image into the parameter for your picture.

• 4 weeks later...

Merchiston Castle

p3232.jpg

Merchiston Castle or Merchiston Tower was probably built by Alexander Napier, the second Laird of Merchiston around 1454. It serves as the seat for Clan Napier. It is perhaps most notable for being the home of John Napier, the 8th Laird of Merchiston, inventor of logarithms(I hated them at school) who was born there in 1550.

During restoration in the 1960s a twenty-six pound cannon-ball was found embedded in the Tower, thought to date from the struggle in 1572 between Mary, Queen of Scots, and supporters of her son, James VI.

It now stands at the centre of Napier University?s Merchiston campus.

Merchiston Castle

p3232.jpg

Merchiston Castle or Merchiston Tower was probably built by Alexander Napier, the second Laird of Merchiston around 1454. It serves as the seat for Clan Napier. It is perhaps most notable for being the home of John Napier, the 8th Laird of Merchiston, inventor of logarithms(I hated them at school) who was born there in 1550.

During restoration in the 1960s a twenty-six pound cannon-ball was found embedded in the Tower, thought to date from the struggle in 1572 between Mary, Queen of Scots, and supporters of her son, James VI.

It now stands at the centre of Napier University’s Merchiston campus.

In the Boardroom of that tower the ceiling is described as on of Scotland's oldest ceilings.

It wasn't original to the building but it was taken from another house and installed in the Tower. It's all original artwork, not like the Cistine Chapel, but still very ornate.

Bloody freezing in the winter!

Boab Mugabe
Jenners Depository.

jenners_460px.jpg

Has been a familiar landmark in the west of Edinburgh since it was built around 1926.

I always looked out for it on the train coming in from the west, it let me know Haymarket was coming up.

It was sold by the House of Fraser when they took over Jenners to Edinburgh Self Storage.

There used to be a wee second hand shop just across the road, nest to the railway bridge which would buy all types of choried gear. Now you can take it into Jenners and leave it there for a year or two until the heat dies down. :mw_rolleyes:

I live a couple minutes walk away from the Depository. I believe with the building of the tram line they're getting rid of the dodgy shop accross the road (which sells Christmas trees in the winter) to make way for the line. I also believe the Depository is going to be some kind of Depot for the trams.

Some cracking pics of Edinburgh though - even the less clich? ones (Doocot etc) have been excellent !

CO, my wife's from Riversdale Crescent - she'll be sad to hear that the building will be no more!

jamboinglasgow
I live a couple minutes walk away from the Depository. I believe with the building of the tram line they're getting rid of the dodgy shop accross the road (which sells Christmas trees in the winter) to make way for the line. I also believe the Depository is going to be some kind of Depot for the trams.

Some cracking pics of Edinburgh though - even the less clich? ones (Doocot etc) have been excellent !

are you sure they are turning it into a depot, cos they are building a depot at Gogar. Always like the building, it is not exciting but very nice. Also seeing the word depostry always makes me think of JFK.

Oxgangs

Oxgangs_Crescent_and_Oxgangs_House.JPG

Perhaps not beautiful but home to me for a few years when I was a boy. I can only remember good times from my boyhood.

An Oxgang is actually an agricultural unit used by the Danish in Danelaw. The area consisted of the amount of land a farmer with one oxen could plough when joined to a team of eight.

Oxgangs was mainly farmland when building started in 1954.

Malcolm Tucker

Never seen that view of Oxgangs before Deek, good picture. I live about 2 minutes away from there and the new houses being built look brilliant.

The skyline just doesn't look the same without the high flats though!

The Black Watch Memorial

Situated at the junction of Market Street and North Bank Street, it is sometimes known as Edinburgh's forgotten memorial. It was unveiled in 1910 and was made as a tribute to the Black Watch to remember the bravery of the men who died during combat in the Boer War of 1899-1902.

For almost 100 years the soldiers on the Black Watch memorial have been missing their bayonets.

Now following a ?10,000 to refurbishment the bayonets, rifle barrels and pipe drones that were snapped from the battle scene on the plinth have been replaced.

The soldier who stands on granite pedestal has also been cleaned up and restored to his original bronze colour.

IMG_3498.jpg

2335476254_7222eeda84.jpg?v=0

Miller Jambo 60
Great thread Deek, making me homesick as well!

"The story is set in Crammond (well, the start is , from memory) and RLS lived down at Canonmills/Warriston. Seems no connection there to me."

I can't find the pic, but my favourite place in Edinburgh is where I grew up and which has now, sadly, been sold on - 4/8 Essendean Place, Clermiston. The link to Kidnapped is that all the streets round there are named after characters from the book.

My wifes from 3/6 Essendean Place.

My wifes from 3/6 Essendean Place.

Mike is on holiday so cant reply Doug, all I will say is he is a man in his late 40's, who left Edinburgh 25 years ago. Still a good Jambo though.;)

Anyone got one? August has a great picture of Edinburgh taken from Calton Hill, The Balmoral Hotel is flying the Saltire - looks beautiful!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Duddingston House

1081217467_3f01930916.jpg?v=0

Located in Milton Road West, it is a superb classical villa built between 1763-8 at the cost of ?30,000 by Sir William Chambers and regarded as his finest work.

The main house consists of two storeys in pale stone.

Inside there is fine plasterwork, a grand entrance hall and staircase and magnificent fireplaces.

The surrounding parkland now forms Duddingston Golf Course and the grounds of Holyrood School.

Archived