Our Beautiful City (merged)

Deek

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liberton Tower on Braid Hill was built in the 15th Centuary. It was abandoned in the 17th centuary and used as a pig sty for a number of years. It was restored by the "Castles of Scotland Preservation Trust" and is now a holiday home.

liberton.jpg

It is available in the summer for ?890 a week if you wanted to impress visitors.

Or even a lady friend. Here is the master bedroom.

pBed6.jpg

St Anthonys Chapel is in Holyrood park above St Margarets Loch. It was thought to have been built in the 11th or 12th century and belonged to Kelso Abbey as opposed to Holyrood Abbey. It was abandoned following the reformation around 1560.

footer-450.jpg

You can see it in the centre of the picture.

Here is another view.

swanloch942.jpg

Slap bang in the middle of our beautiful city.

Romanov Stole My Pension

Off topic but I don't want to start a new thread.

Does anyone have a link to one of the many threads with pictures of THAT 4-0 semi win? I've not got round to subscribing yet so I can't do a search

St Mary's Cathedral.

Vastly underated. A beautiful building overlooked because of St Giles, but I prefer St Marys. When lit up at night it is a fantastic sight.

church-450.jpg

Fairly recently built in the second half of the nineteenth century.

It was built on land bequethed by Barbara and Mary Walker, two unmarried sisters and heirs to the Drumshuegh estate.The foundation stone was laid on 21 May 1874 by the Duke of Buccleuch.

St Leonard's Hall, the main building in the Pollock Halls.

It is an impressive building, constructed in the mid-19th century to resemble a grand 16th-century residence. It was built by Thomas Nelson beginning in 1869.

His brother, William Nelson, had bought the nearby three-storey mansion Salisbury Green in 1860, and over a period of thirty years carried out alterations and additions so it assumed an appearance of a 16th century mansion.

During the first world war it was used as a hospital. and thereafter served as the St. Trinnean's School for Girls until the Second World War, during which it became an Air Raid Precautions and Home Guard Headquarters. The St Trinians girls school books were supposed to have been based on the school.

pollok_halls_edinburgh7798s.jpg

During the first world war it was used as a hospital. and thereafter served as the St. Trinnean's School for Girls until the Second World War, during which it became an Air Raid Precautions and Home Guard Headquarters. The St Trinians girls school books were supposed to have been based on the school.

After the war it became a Halls of residence for the university initially for girls only.

Inside it has many spectacular wooden carvings. One is of Mary Queen od Scots being admonished by John Knox.

DSCF2396.JPG

St Leonard's Hall, the main building in the Pollock Halls.

It is an impressive building, constructed in the mid-19th century to resemble a grand 16th-century residence. It was built by Thomas Nelson beginning in 1869.

His brother, William Nelson, had bought the nearby three-storey mansion Salisbury Green in 1860, and over a period of thirty years carried out alterations and additions so it assumed an appearance of a 16th century mansion.

pollok_halls_edinburgh7798s.jpg

After the war it became a Halls of residence for the university initially for girls only.

Inside it has many spectacular wooden carvings. One is of Mary Queen od Scots being admonished by John Knox.

DSCF2396.JPG

My father was the school janitor at St Trineans School, which I beleive was owned by a Miss Lee. The school closed at the outbreak of war, we had a houseful opf items that some of the girls left when they returned to their homes, some to France. It was a high class boarding school. My dad was also Miss Lees chauffeur in the summer and drove trhe Armstrong Siddely car.

When the war started he joined the ARP and served at the School. It was more or less abandoned after the war until the University took it over.

Apparently the cottage looking thing on top is a copy of Rabbie Burns cottage, but I will happily accept correction on that.

davemclaren
My father was the school janitor at St Trineans School, which I beleive was owned by a Miss Lee. The school closed at the outbreak of war, we had a houseful opf items that some of the girls left when they returned to their homes, some to France. It was a high class boarding school. My dad was also Miss Lees chauffeur in the summer and drove trhe Armstrong Siddely car.

When the war started he joined the ARP and served at the School. It was more or less abandoned after the war until the University took it over.

Apparently the cottage looking thing on top is a copy of Rabbie Burns cottage, but I will happily accept correction on that.

I assume that the Nelson that originally built it was the owner of the nearby printers, where Scottish Widows currently is.

I assume that the Nelson that originally built it was the owner of the nearby printers, where Scottish Widows currently is.

Sounds like it, it was certainly a short walk to work if it was. The house we were in on Souith Oxford Street was the house that was supplied by the school. My parents eventually bought it as sitting tenants at the price it was appraised at in 1932. One of the bonuses was looking out the kitchen window and being able to see the Nelsons Printing works clock.

Corstorphine Doocot

corstorphine_castle_doocot_1.jpg

In Dovecot Road, Corstorphine is the 16th Century flat-topped beehive doocot.This is the only remaining building associated with Corstorphine Castle, which was built in the 14th Century by the Forrester family.

The doocot contains 1060 nest boxes, arranged in 28 tiers. Once an important source of meat. The doo'cot is now in the care of Historic Scotland.

Era Macaroons
Wellington

wellington.jpg

Im sure the sculpture of this topped himself over this statue as he felt he hadnt mastered the horses head and that everybody would laugh at him.

Era Macaroons
Did everyone used to think that the trains went up and down the humps when they were kids? Or was i a bit special?

my girlfriend has confessed to this also......im still not sure if she knows they go through the middle yet

Drumsheugh Baths Club, founded in 1882, is the oldest private and independently owned swimming club in Edinburgh.

200x374peopleDoorR10019SL_A5_9_thumb.jpg

Caledonian Brewery

600px-Caledonian_Brewery.jpg

Founded in 1869, the brewery was named the Lorimer and Clark Caledonian Brewery, after its founders George Lorimer and Robert Clark.

The brewery nearly closed in 1987 but was bought out by the then management (CBC) and led the Scottish renaissance in the traditional brewing of quality cask-conditioned ales.

In 2004 S & N moved the production of McEwans ales to the Caley brewery following the closure of their Fountainbridge brewery. S & N have a 30% stake in Caley but CBC still operate independently.

0_buildings_-_woods_barber_shop_121.jpg

Brings back memories of being dragged in there by my mum for a haircut,I would only ever sit still for old to Ted to cut my hair nobody else.Its giving me chills just thinking about the tortures I went through in there.:omg::hae36::scared:

Jenners Depository.

jenners_460px.jpg

Has been a familiar landmark in the west of Edinburgh since it was built around 1926.

I always looked out for it on the train coming in from the west, it let me know Haymarket was coming up.

It was sold by the House of Fraser when they took over Jenners to Edinburgh Self Storage.

There used to be a wee second hand shop just across the road, nest to the railway bridge which would buy all types of choried gear. Now you can take it into Jenners and leave it there for a year or two until the heat dies down. :mw_rolleyes:

Dirk Diggler

Dunno where you guys are finding these.....When I type 'Beautiful Edinburgh' into Google images this is what appears.......:sad:

narkomany_prt3_01.jpg

That's interesting, here's another story - on the left hand side of the High Street, I think there are some council offices (opposite St Giles Cathedral) which have a brass sculpture of a horse in the square leading to the actual offices. Now I have never heard this before, but my Mum who lives in the canongate encouraged me to have a look at the horses head, as it has pigs ears, folded over not upright like a horse - when I was over for the final I had a look and she's right - she said that the sculpter did it deliberatley as there was talk of him not getting paid! Does anyone have anymore info on this story? Have a look yourself, it does have pigs ears - I'd never heard this story before.

Legend Claws

gmarket.jpg

I love the Grassmarket (and the Cowgate) and the view of the castle from the GM. It really imposes on you from the ground there.

Caledonian Brewery

600px-Caledonian_Brewery.jpg

Founded in 1869, the brewery was named the Lorimer and Clark Caledonian Brewery, after its founders George Lorimer and Robert Clark.

The brewery nearly closed in 1987 but was bought out by the then management (CBC) and led the Scottish renaissance in the traditional brewing of quality cask-conditioned ales.

In 2004 S & N moved the production of McEwans ales to the Caley brewery following the closure of their Fountainbridge brewery. S & N have a 30% stake in Caley but CBC still operate independently.

I may have mentioned it before but a good friend of mine John Castle, and I used to go to his fathers house on the Brewery grounds after especially night games at Tynecastle. Johns dad was the maintenance man for the brewery. When we got there we always got at least a pint of the brewers own special beer.

John was a good friend to me and I spent many happy occasions at that house with the Castle family. Sadly John died quite young, and of course prior to that I had moved to Canada.

Legend Claws

NapierUCC.jpg

I spent my last year of Uni here and it is an amazing building (mixing old with new very well) and also a very nice outside environment.

I P Knightley
NapierUCC.jpg

I spent my last year of Uni here and it is an amazing building (mixing old with new very well) and also a very nice outside environment.

What the hell is THAT Thunderbirds thing doing in the middle of Craiglockhart?

I used to love that building - the front view anyway, as you came up the drive from Colinton Road and also the view from upstairs. Many happy memories.

Guest GhostHunter

heriots_school.jpg

180px-George-Herriot-high-school.jpg

George Heriot's School - originally a Hospital

The plan for the building is of special significance; it is the first completely regular design in Scotland with four equal ranges of buildings disposed round a central quadrangle, with four square towers at each corner rising a storey higher. Nor had any other building in the country previously been conceived on such a scale. It is clear that William Wallace had carefully studied Linlithgow Palace - an extremely competent piece of late medieval and Renaissance domestic design. As at Linlithgow, the rooms in the Hospital are through-going in the traditional Scottish manner, without connecting corridors. Six separate spiral staircases were incorporated, one in each internal angle of the courtyard and one in each of the two external lateral faces. Only two of those in the courtyard remain, both in the south side, the others having been removed in 1886 when the main staircases were built.

Vspace4px.gif

The disposition of the principal rooms on the west and south sides is of particular interest. In earlier large medieval houses the central feature was the festal Hall, where the entire household had their meals together. At the lower end of the hall was the kitchen, and the adjoining lower portion of the Hall provided an entrance door from the service area. The fireplaces were set in gable and side walls, if the Hall was large. Behind the Hall were the solar - or great - chamber, the owners' private apartments, and opening off this chamber was the Chapel.

Vspace4px.gif

At Heriot's Hospital, the Hall, designed as a Refectory for the scholars, has a central door through which the boys came into the centre of the room. At either gable end is a fireplace and a service door. If the Council Room is considered as corresponding functionally to the medieval great chamber the sequence of principal or public rooms at Heriot's - kitchen, Great Hall, Chamber and Chapel - follows the traditional lines. The Chapel however is not entered from the Hall and Chamber but directly from the Courtyard, In other words, it is conceived no longer as the private or manorial chapel of aS baron but as the collegiate place of worship of an enclosed community.

Vspace4px.gif

On the death of Cromwell in 1659, General Monk authorised the restoration of the edifice to the Governors. Only then was it finally devoted to the purpose envisaged by the Founder. On 11th April 1659, the first boys, thirty in number, were admitted. and John Nicoll's contemporary "Diary" records that on Monday 1st June that year the Hospital was "dedicat in a very solemn manner" with a sermon by Mr. Robert Dougla

s.

• 2 weeks later...

Fettes College

39289790.P1130479small.jpg

In memory of his only son William, who died before him in 1815, Sir William Fettes (1750-1836), a former Lord Provost of Edinburgh and wealthy city merchant, bequeathed ?166,000 to be set aside for the education of poor children and orphans.

After his death the bequest was effected and invested and the accumulated sum was then used to buy the land, to build the main building and found the school in 1870,when Fettes College opened with 53 pupils (40 were Foundation Scholars with 11 others boarding & 2 day pupils).

A far cry from today when most pupils are fee paying. Fees per term are ?7,442 for boarders and ?5,280 for day pupils, with three terms a year.

Say What Again
[ATTACH]412[/ATTACH]

Picture I took from ma wee part of Edinburgh.

Nice pic mate.

I took something similar (though nowhere near as good and from the other side) from outside, downstairs in the Orocco Pier.

Cheers

Was just taken along at the shell beds. It was one of these nights with a weird sky and the lights from the bridge luckily set it off.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
[ATTACH]412[/ATTACH]

Thats amazing mate. :)

• 4 weeks later...

St Bernard's Well, Stockbridge

The original well was built in 1760, and was used for medicinal purposes by the gentry who would travel to the Stockbridge, which was then in the country, and drink the water.

Rebuilt in 1791 and restored in 1884 it was presented to the people of Edinburgh and is now owned by the Edinburgh District Council who open it every Sunday.

St Bernard's FC who played in Stockbridge were named after the famous well.

68.jpg

nationalwar1e.jpg

After the First World War, a former barracks in Edinburgh Castle was converted into a National Shrine to those who had lost their lives. The dead of the Second World War and other conflicts since 1945 are also commemorated.

The exterior of the building has a mailed figure representing courage, a female with doves representing peace, a blinfolded Justice, a warrior child and a phoenix denoting the survival of the spirit.

Inside is a steel casket containing the complete Roll of Honour of the Scottish war dead.

One of the most beautiful War Memorials anywhere in the world. The interior of the Shrine is magnificent. It is a fitting memorial to the 150,000 Scottish dead of WWI and the 50,000 of WWII.

There are leather bound books for every Scottish Regiment containing all of the names of the dead from both world wars. Turning the pages brings home the immensity of the sacrifice made by the fallen.

Despite there being a charge for entry to the Castle, you can ask at the gate to visit the Shrine at no charge. I haven't been up there for a while so a visit is called for.

http://www.snwm.org/website/frames.html

Stuart Lyon

Sir William Fettes was regarded as a particularly opportunistic merchant the son of a widow who sold tea in a tiny shop of Baillie Fife's close. Left the High school to work for his mother as a grocer, contractor and underwriter of sea risks. He became a merchant councillor and served on the Deacon Brodie jury. Elected Provost in 1799 and 1804 he was also a Director of the British Linen Bank (anyone remember it). As Admiral of the Firth of Forth and contractor for Naval Stores he could evade duty on goods brought-in. Also a tobacco smuggler working in collusion with the Revenue Officers. He died rich in 1836 leaving many bequests to charity. One of his intentions was to found an updated version of Heriot's Hospital but his trustees opened a public school instead. The rest, they say, is history!

Stuart Lyon

I always think that Dundas House (RBS building) in St Andrew's Square is magnificent. If I knew how to upload a photo I would. It was built for Sir Laurence Dundas and designed by William Chambers. Dundas spoilt Craig's plans for the New Town as he had proposed to put a Church there so that it faced the church at Charlotte Square. The church was built but in George St opposite the Dome where it does look out of place.

heartgarfunkel

Magnificent thread!

Check this geezer's website out. It is absolutely superb. Some stunning images of our gorgeous capital, stretching back to the 70's. There have been some incredible changes in this short space of time, relatively speaking

http://www.henniker.org.uk/

Have a sniff about, some gems of Niddrie, unusual views and bits of the town well off the tourist trails.

Thanks for that link, heart, had a quick look, he's done a great job and I will be checking it out in detail tonight after my usual Friday night appletini's (minimum 3).

• 2 weeks later...

Edinburghs own river, The Water Of Leith.

It is(24 miles long and rises in the Colzium Springs at Millstone Rig of the Pentland Hills. It travels through Harperrig Reservoir, past the ruins of Cairns Castle, through Balerno, Currie, Juniper Green, Colinton, Slateford

421941585_f49c52e139.jpg?v=1174059066

Longstone, Saughton, Balgreen, Roseburn and on to the nearest it gets to the city centre at the Dean Village.

viewfrombridgesmaller.JPG

After this it heads down to Leith through the Puddocky.

There is also a Water of Leith in Dunedin in New Zealand, as a matter of interest.

Deek, your link to the Fettes picture has gone.

I work in the health club within teh grounds and have been inside the main building many times.

Here's one I took at nigtt wneh it was lit up for the Fettes Jazz Festival:

n579310353_1286564_200.jpg

From the web:

Edinburgh_Fettes.jpg

The inside of the old chapel is unreal, and this doesn't do it justice, particularly the timber roof which you can't really see.

Fettes%20Chappel.jpg?

This is the Headmaster's House:

0_buildings_-_fettes_college_headmasters_lodge_1369_small.jpg

Gerd Muller

Fantastic thread folks. Spent the last 20 mins saving some pictures on my PC to show people at work how lovely a city Edinburgh is.

I love the view from Murrayfield golf course.

japanjambo
[ATTACH]412[/ATTACH]

Fantastic!:fing25:

Cheers

Lynn:ninja:

rudi must stay
Did everyone used to think that the trains went up and down the humps when they were kids? Or was i a bit special?

probably not something to be admitted but i used to think exactly the same thing :o

Got to agree with the pictures posted by both Ivanawfyticklycough & Buffalo Bill, of both cobbles and the stadium are absolutely wonderful sights.

Stuart Lyon

Andrew that would be Dalry station. I used to get the train from Craigleith station to Dalry when I first started going to Tynie in the late 50s.

Thats Gorgie East Station Stuart, if your talking about Alistairs Pic. Stayed right next to Dalry station at the bridge, top of Downfield, tracks at Dalry ran both sides of the platform IIRC. Gorgie East entrance was right opposite Station Bar , gates are still there. Also used Dalry station to go to East Pilton when I worked at Bruce Peebles.:)

Archived