Say no to a 2012 Brithish olympic football team

IronJambo

oops, looks like i've stirred up a hornets nest here :eek:

quite simply i think its a bad idea because of the repercussions that it could hold for the future of the Scottish national team. If we lost the Scottish nt there could be a snowball effect and we could also lose the Scottish league system.

can't say i'm interested in getting involved in any debate on here that doesn't directly involve football but just for the record, i live in england with my english girlfriend, and despite my opinion on a GB olympic football team i'm pro union

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ArthurScargill
oops, looks like i've stirred up a hornets nest here :eek:

quite simply i think its a bad idea because of the repercussions that it could hold for the future of the Scottish national team. If we lost the Scottish nt there could be a snowball effect and we could also lose the Scottish league system.

can't say i'm interested in getting involved in any debate on here that doesn't directly involve football but just for the record, i live in england with my english girlfriend, and despite my opinion on a GB olympic football team i'm pro union

Pretty much exactly like myself, except I am not pro-union...but I agree with the rest of what you said.

Scotland made the last finals, England did not.

I wasn't aware of that. In that case Scotland should have a decent representation in Team GB 2012. Even more reason to go ahead.

So...let me get this straight Vladimir...you say that the Scottish National team represents everything you DESPISE about Scottish football...but you are now claiming that you do actually support them are you???!

Bit of a paradox that is it not? You support a team which consists of things you despise...does that mean you also support Hibs? because as a fellow Jambo, you must surely despise of everything that Hibs consist of...so surely if you are claiming that you're comments meant you didnt actually suggest you don't support Scotland, that through pure elementary analysis I can suggest you must also support Hibs? :)

Yep, you've got me. I'm an anti Scottish Hibs supporter. You're powers of psychological analysis are a match for fat Robbie Coltrane and you have me sussed!

mod delete

ArthurScargill
I wasn't aware of that. In that case Scotland should have a decent representation in Team GB 2012. Even more reason to go ahead.

I can't see many of the club or national managers being happy about players having to play even more games...not matter how few there would be involved...

I also imagine a percentage of the players selected would simply refuse to play, as you can see from this board, some posters are very pro team GB, some are very against it...so I would imagine this would be reflected in the players selected.

It would be a complete disaster in my opinion, with lots of infighting between the different associations/players and supporters...it will never happen, and is simply being put forward due to the success of team GB, and Brown has jumped on the bandwagon to try and gain popularity amongst the English electorate...which he desperately needs.

ArthurScargill
Yep, you've got me. I'm an anti Scottish Hibs supporter. You're powers of psychological analysis are a match for fat Robbie Coltrane and you have me sussed!

I was not seriously suggesting you are Hibs fan...I was simply trying to point out how narrow-minded your stance against the Scottish national team is...

Are you denying that the statement I quoted above implied you do not support Scotland?

I was not seriously suggesting you are Hibs fan...I was simply trying to point out how narrow-minded your stance against the Scottish national team is...

Are you denying that the statement I quoted above implied you do not support Scotland?

Booooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrringgggggggggg!

ArthurScargill
Booooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrringgggggggggg!

Well that was certainly an intellectual, and well thought out response...congratulations on an astoundingly abstract comeback...boaring?! off pig-hunting are we? :)

Wouldn't it just be easier to admit that what I am saying is correct, or will it make you feel like less of a man to back down?

ChemicalJambo

Don't see the problem with supporting a GB team, just like there's no issue with Scots supporting the European team in the Ryder Cup.

We can't possibly lose the 4 nations status so either get a watertight legal doc to keep it or don't put a team in at all.

Well that was certainly an intellectual, and well thought out response...congratulations on an astoundingly abstract comeback...boaring?! off pig-hunting are we? :)

Wouldn't it just be easier to admit that what I am saying is correct, or will it make you feel like less of a man to back down?

You're absolutely correct in everything you've said and clearly I'm no match to be jousting with an intellectual heavyweight such as yourself.

Please forgive me.

mod delete!

ArthurScargill
You're absolutely correct in everything you've said and clearly I'm no match to be jousting with an intellectual heavyweight such as yourself.

Please forgive me.

mod delete

I forgive you. :)

But I am afraid I will have to report you for abuse...very childish.

Sheriff Fatman
We can't possibly lose the 4 nations status so either get a watertight legal doc to keep it or don't put a team in at all.

There was a vote on the issue not long ago, which we narrowly won. Creating a GB team for a second class tournament as a one off would just give the African nations more ammunition to use. Northern Ireland asked for a written guarantee that it wouldn't affect their independence from FIFA, but none has been forthcoming, so they have come out against the idea. Sepp Blatter has u-turned on the issue so many times I am surprised that he isn't permanently spinning, plus by 2012 he will in all probability not be at the head of FIFA anyway, so any verbal assurance he might give isn't worth the paper it is written on.

A Great British team represents every other sport at the Olympics, why should football be any different?

don't kid yourself on. apart from threatening scotland as a FIFA INTERNATIONAL COUNTRY it would end up being an english team with the odd token scot, taff and ulster man in squad that we would have as much in common as germany or sudam.

after 2010 let's hope Scotland is an independant country and we can enter our own people in the olympics. that's what we should all be aiming for.

ArthurScargill
don't kid yourself on. apart from threatening scotland as a FIFA INTERNATIONAL COUNTRY it would end up being an english team with the odd token scot, taff and ulster man in squad that we would have as much in common as germany or sudam.

after 2010 let's hope Scotland is an independant country and we can enter our own people in the olympics. that's what we should all be aiming for.

Great comment! I actually never even thought of that!!!! I would completely support a Scottish team at the Olympics.

For those who are interested, Gordon Smith is due on Real Radio in the new few minutes to discuss the Team GB thing as well as crappy refereeing. Presumably, he might explain why they're so concerned for the SFA's continued autonomy....

Don't see the problem with supporting a GB team, just like there's no issue with Scots supporting the European team in the Ryder Cup.

:thumb:

I'd support a European team at the Olympics.

ChemicalJambo
There was a vote on the issue not long ago, which we narrowly won. Creating a GB team for a second class tournament as a one off would just give the African nations more ammunition to use. Northern Ireland asked for a written guarantee that it wouldn't affect their independence from FIFA, but none has been forthcoming, so they have come out against the idea. Sepp Blatter has u-turned on the issue so many times I am surprised that he isn't permanently spinning, plus by 2012 he will in all probability not be at the head of FIFA anyway, so any verbal assurance he might give isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Hunted around the web for the African gripe but not found any, seems to be more that since the USSR split then FIFA would like to reduce teams in the Euro region.

Agree with what you say though, Blatter has said it wont affect things, then it could, then it should be an England team

The wiki sums it up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_national_football_team

For those who are interested, Gordon Smith is due on Real Radio in the new few minutes to discuss the Team GB thing as well as crappy refereeing. Presumably, he might explain why they're so concerned for the SFA's continued autonomy....

interestingly Gordon Smith supported a team GB before joining the SFA......

As I've said on another thread, I think that separate national teams would be safe if we went ahead with a GB national football team. If we weren't allowed separate national teams, then it wouldn't make sense to have separate leagues. The amount of reshuffling and chaos caused wouldn't be worth the hassle. How would they decide which leagues merge in to where?

The Olympic Football tournament is the CIS cup of football tournaments anyway...

IMHO, those on her with some sort of political agenda need to get a grip.

interestingly Gordon Smith supported a team GB before joining the SFA......

And now doesn't. According to GS we were hanging on by the skin of our teeth as it was the last time it came into question and apparently it's much too fragile to risk. Seems fair enough to me, I would never ever want them to gamble with it unless they were 200% sure it wouldn't affect us long term.

I wouldn't...I would say you enjoy promoting unionist debates on JKB because of where you come from, and because you know it instigates arguementative threads on this forum. :) You are posting with an agenda in my opinion...

I agree with you its time all these Rangers fans were punted of this board.

They are just a pest and have brought JKB down to their level.

This issue is going to run and run, possibly all the way to 2012.

At the end of the day, we are just talking about a GB team competing in the Olympics, yet it seems to immediately become an argument about who is pro British and who is not.

It's an interesting insight to the football mentality. Every other sport can do it but it's not for us. In reality, we are being manipulated by the self-interest of the football bureaucrats and it suits the SNP perfectly to jump on the bandwagon and stir up bad feeling.

I dinnae understand what the big deal is, let's have team GB, and go for gold.

Players want it, fans want it, SNP don't want it, 3 good reasons to have it right there

This issue is going to run and run, possibly all the way to 2012.

At the end of the day, we are just talking about a GB team competing in the Olympics, yet it seems to immediately become an argument about who is pro British and who is not.

It's an interesting insight to the football mentality. Every other sport can do it but it's not for us. In reality, we are being manipulated by the self-interest of the football bureaucrats and it suits the SNP perfectly to jump on the bandwagon and stir up bad feeling.

Who's jumping on the bandwagon and stirring up bad feeling though? Is it those who are defending the status quo and trying to safeguard Scottish international football or those who wish to introduce a British team for a meaningless tournament in 2012 and endanger the international status of the four UK nations? Seems a pretty open and shut case to me.

Sheriff Fatman
I dinnae understand what the big deal is, let's have team GB, and go for gold.

Players want it, fans want it, SNP don't want it, 3 good reasons to have it right there

The fan organisations of all four home nations have come out against the idea. I have never heard any player mention the idea let alone support it, so bang go two of your points.

The only people who want it are Gordon Brown, Seb Coe and the English FA, 3 good reasons to tell them where they can stick the idea.

fans want it

Do they ??

The official supporters clubs of England, Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales do not want it. Check http://www.noteamgb.com

It appears the vast majority of people on here do not want it either.

All 4 teams have a footballing identity and history which is something all 4 can be proud off. I'm surprised that there are some people who want to risk this for 1 Olympic games just because they are going to be held in London.

For me it's about risk assessment, having a team GB risks putting all teams future on the line, not just Scotland.

Era Macaroons

Its only a big issue cos its in London next time.

There wouldn't be this clamour for team GB if the next olympics were in Oslo for example.

I would like to see it for a one off and dont think it would affect the national team one bit.

(its oor ba'!)

ArthurScargill
Do they ??

The official supporters clubs of England, Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales do not want it. Check http://www.noteamgb.com

All 4 teams have a footballing identity and history which is something all 4 can be proud off. I'm surprised that there are some people who want to risk this for 1 Olympic games just because they are going to be held in London.

For me it's about risk assessment, having a team GB risks putting all teams future on the line, not just Scotland.

I'd imagine that the mass majority of the vocal minority on JKB who actually want a team GB, are the same minority on here who support anything with a pro-unionist/british slant...strange that isn't it?!?! :rolleyes:

Seb Coe appears to be doing his best to make it happen

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/RE3010/petition.html

Seb coe is a scrote

As anyone knows me will tell you all I am a proud and vocal Unionist

I am however 100% opposed to a GB footie team.

We need to keep our identity and I could NEVER cheer on the Welsh, English or N.Irish

I'm all for a GB team.

Thought the Olympics were excellent and fully supported all the GB athletes irrespective if they were Scottish, English, Welsh or Irish (Northern). Can't see any harm in entering a GB team, and personally think the whole issue of a single British team (post London 2012) is scaremongering created by a few nationalists based on a few throw away comments.

Come 2012 I think you may find a few players (of all home nations) who are either in the twilight of their international career or young player wanting to put themselves in the shop window will play for the GB team and there will be no law in the land that will prevent them from playing.

While I agree that Gordon Brown's time would be better spent sorting the country out I do feel Alex Salmond is just as bad. He was voted in with less than 50% of the vote, but speaks as thought the whole nation voted for him. His time would be better spent getting Scotland in shape for a vote for independence in 2010. Then there would be no need for a debate.

scott herbertson
Seeminly the Chinese called Great Britain (England)so theres one reason for a start.:(

They did indeed.

My (English) wife, who speaks Mandarin (she did Chinese at Uni and spent a year in Beijing) was pishing herself laughing when the flags were being raised for the British golds. The announcer each time said 'here's the medal for Ingyin' which is mandarin for England (being a corrupted pronunciation of the word.

Amused my wife to tell me this as she knew it would have me doing my impression of Victor Meldrew

:mad:

Era Macaroons
Do they ??

oh what a surprise...the folk keen enough to join their own FA dont want it.

And unless it has the selection process of the British Lions (at least 3 from each country or something) it would be a joke

99% English (even if they were doing crap) and the token jock, paddy and taff

The fact is that olympic football is a non event and i suspect some of the pro GB team supporters are after a GB team in the world cup and euros.

What i also do not understand is this new found love of international football by people who have been known to despise it in the past.

jambos are go!

The idea that the SFA could sustain the blackballing of a young Scot who chose to play for a GB Olympic team is preposterous and would have no hope whatsoever of surviving legal challenge(and substantial damages) IMO. The best the SFA can hope for is cast iron guarantees in public alongside a substantial bribe from the Government to go towards football in Scotland IMO.

Era Macaroons
I'd imagine that the mass majority of the vocal minority on JKB who actually want a team GB, are the same minority on here who support anything with a pro-unionist/british slant...strange that isn't it?!?! :rolleyes:

Imagine all you like, strange that you are deciding who are the minorities/majorities.

Its an open forum....you dont have to have pro unionist/british slant to be up for having a team GB at the next olympics:confused:

I doubt it will happen anyway...we will deny ourselves an interesting prospect....to preserve ourselves....did I tell u about the clans?

Seb coe is a scrote

As anyone knows me will tell you all I am a proud and vocal Unionist

I am however 100% opposed to a GB footie team.

We need to keep our identity and I could NEVER cheer on the Welsh, English or N.Irish

:biggrin: Classic

Aside from the stuff in the Shed, how come you're for the Union but against a GB football team?

Father Tiresias

Was the Olympic soccer tournamnet not an Under-23 competition with a couple of over age players?

There is no way this Olympic dream of a few upper class idiots can be allowed to even remotely affect our national identity.

If they do get their way then perhaps an Under-23 home international competition might be the way to go with the winners representing GB&NI.

Thig Ar Latha
Was the Olympic soccer tournamnet not an Under-23 competition with a couple of over age players?

There is no way this Olympic dream of a few upper class idiots can be allowed to even remotely affect our national identity.

If they do get their way then perhaps an Under-23 home international competition might be the way to go with the winners representing GB&NI.[/QUOTE]

Same problem. If they go down that route I'm pretty sure Fifa have indicated in the past that the Home Nations could have a competion to decide which Country could enter a Team into the World Cup Qualifers. That was several years ago, but certain Associations (CONCAF) have pushed this in the past.

Era Macaroons
And unless it has the selection process of the British Lions (at least 3 from each country or something) it would be a joke

99% English (even if they were doing crap) and the token jock, paddy and taff

If its a GB olympic team..u take the best 11 available...same as all the other sports....is Giggsy fit? and wots Norman Whiteside doing these days? Im sure Barry wud get a gem:rolleyes:

oh what a surprise...the folk keen enough to join their own FA dont want it.

Or the folk keen enough to go and watch their country play.

Geoff Kilpatrick

It's quite simple. If FIFA guaranteed that the 4 home nations weren't threatened by this idea, then it wouldn't be an issue, leaving aside any other political baggage.

However, there is no guarantee, therefore the risk isn't worth it.

Era Macaroons

many do that arent members of their respective FA.

in fact probably MORE so. so FA ;)

Era Macaroons
It's quite simple. If FIFA guaranteed that the 4 home nations weren't threatened by this idea, then it wouldn't be an issue, leaving aside any other political baggage.

However, there is no guarantee, therefore the risk isn't worth it.

your right...but the risk is about this size (-)

Era Macaroons

i think part of the problem is that folk dont think a Scot would feature in ....the best 11 British players.

tell me an English side that didnt win the league without one? pre erm 99

Archived