Pet Hates

Laurie

What are everyone's pet hates? The little things in life or that people do that really get to you.

I'll kick things off with one of mine, the incorrect use of the word literally. Why on earth do people use the term when they say such things as; "It scared me so much I literally jumped out of my skin". No dear you did not actually jump out of your skin. There's many more examples of the misuse of the word but I won't waffle on about that one too much.

I'll think of some more of those niggly pet hates of mine soon, but what are everyone elses? Perhaps your pet hate is people who start threads like this on Kickback...:rolleyes:

Use of the word 'journey' to symbolise lifetime experience. What was once the preserve of explorers and hardy travellers, it now, irritatingly, arises in the response of any interviewed sportsperson or celebrity:

Interviewer: "Tell us about the race/match/film/show."

Sportsperson/Celebrity: " I mean like, wow, it's just been, like, you know an incredible journey"

:confused:

I, personally (now there is a stupid phrase, how else are you going to be except personally) cannot abide people who say, and football commentators are a prime example, "he just about did enough there". If he kept it in, knocked it out, saved it etc then he DID do enough. If he just about did enough, then the meaning is that he tried and failed.

Oh yeah, people who can't, or are too lazy to try to, spell correctly or construct sentences. Then if it is pointed out to them, they bleat on about "ooh what are you? An English teacher?" NO. There is a language; it has rules; these rules cover spelling and grammar. They are there so that a potential reader can understand the point that you are trying to put across. Ignoring these rules leads to misunderstanding, contradiction and ultimately the dimunation of any point that you are trying to make.

Maybe not a pet hate but 'back seat DJs' on the buses blaring there sh*tey music out their phones really ticks me off, whats the need!? buy headphones! :mad:

I, personally (now there is a stupid phrase, how else are you going to be except personally) cannot abide people who say, and football commentators are a prime example, "he just about did enough there". If he kept it in, knocked it out, saved it etc then he DID do enough. If he just about did enough, then the meaning is that he tried and failed.

A kindred spirit!!! This drives me insane - "he just about kept it in" - no he didn't "he just kept it in"!!! there is a difference!

Another pet hate of mine is seeing a new Jag parked in Lidl carpark - go to a real supermarket f!_!ckwits - you can afford it! :mad:

People who think doorways, entrances, exits and the like make ideal places to stop and chat.

MOVE OUT THE WAY!! :mad:

• Double negatives does my head in. Eastenders is the worst for it.
  • People who say whatever as they can't think of a decent comeback.
  • Text speak in emails. Please, your using a keyboard, type out the whole word.

People who think doorways, entrances, exits and the like make ideal places to stop and chat.

that`s one of mine too, seems women like to do that more than most.

another, rather petty one, of my pet hates, men who wear thong flip flops with jeans as soon as there is more than half an hour of sunshine. In a hot country, by a pool maybe, but on Princes street, in the ****in rain, NO! I don`t need to see your mocket hairy toed foosty nailed paws. In fact i may even go out of my way to stand on them to drive the point home.

heartsfc_fan
Maybe not a pet hate but 'back seat DJs' on the buses blaring there sh*tey music out their phones really ticks me off, whats the need!? buy headphones! :mad:

Yep! :mad: I'm glad somebody mentioned it. It's always kids that are about 14, and wear ther "branded" tracksuits...really ****es me off.

Daydream Believer

idiots in busy bars that turn up at the bar when you've been waiting 10 minutes then lean over the bar with a tenner in their hand and demand drinks.

Even when the bar staff ask what I want, if someone's been waiting longer than me I always point to them for them to get served next. In return for this I expect a "cheers mate" and for the bar staff to serve me next.

common courtesy.

Miller Jambo 60
What are everyone's pet hates? The little things in life or that people do that really get to you.

I'll kick things off with one of mine, the incorrect use of the word literally. Why on earth do people use the term when they say such things as; "It scared me so much I literally jumped out of my skin". No dear you did not actually jump out of your skin. There's many more examples of the misuse of the word but I won't waffle on about that one too much.

I'll think of some more of those niggly pet hates of mine soon, but what are everyone elses? Perhaps your pet hate is people who start threads like this on Kickback...:rolleyes:

Clowns that follow hibs.

People that dont indicate on roundabouts.

Imature 14-16 year old kids on buses.

No Supermarket in East Craigs.

Burnt pies at tyne.

Speed cameras.

LABOUR

Dog kak on my sons shoes

REFS

HBOS

FLYING

People that start these threads (JOKE)

Care in the community. ( NOT FUNNY)

GLASGOW

Dodgy car mechanics.

Pension funds (RIP OFF)

Companies that phone you but hang up (IGNORANT)

ANDY WALKER

Being a DRIVING INSTRUCTOR (RIP OFF)

Stupid Sexy Flanders

People who use the wrong "their, there or they're", the wrong "your and you're" and even the wrong "to, too and two".

People who fail to use the words "please" and "thank you", and bad manners in general.

The staff in the pie kiosks at Tynie.

People who swear loudly and excessively, especially women.

When dogs bark.

The guys who sit behind me at Tynie, and talk on and on and on about anything apart from the game.

coppercrutch

People that walk along busy streets with umbrellas - and especially when they walk past a tight bus shelter and don't even lower their brolly.

These people should be tied down, and repeatedly stabbed in the face with sharp metal objects. They would soon understand the error of their ways.

• Double negatives does my head in. Eastenders is the worst for it.
  • People who say whatever as they can't think of a decent comeback.
  • Text speak in emails. Please, your using a keyboard, type out the whole word.

:)

being moaned at to sit down at the football by fellow fans when hearts are attacking! annoys me so much!

People who stand up in front of you, thereby obscuring your view, in a seated area at football!! Really gets my goat.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Noel Gallagher did it once! I lost a bit of respect for him that day!

People who use "i.e." when really they mean "e.g."

coppercrutch
People who stand up in front of you, thereby obscuring your view, in a seated area at football!! Really gets my goat.

It's an age thing Mr McLaren. I have found myself having similar reactions to yourself recently.

I imagine you have had to cope with this for 50+ years now ?

:rolleyes:

It's an age thing Mr McLaren. I have found myself having similar reactions to yourself recently.

I imagine you have had to cope with this for 50+ years now ?

Almost. :cool:

Miller Jambo 60
Noel Gallagher did it once! I lost a bit of respect for him that day!

People who use "i.e." when really they mean "e.g."

You are being girley now:)

Cyclists on pavements :mad: One asked me to get out of his way this morning while I was getting a parking ticket from the machine! I told him the road was for bikes but of course he just ignored me.

that`s one of mine too, seems women like to do that more than most.

another, rather petty one, of my pet hates, men who wear thong flip flops with jeans as soon as there is more than half an hour of sunshine. In a hot country, by a pool maybe, but on Princes street, in the ****in rain, NO! I don`t need to see your mocket hairy toed foosty nailed paws. In fact i may even go out of my way to stand on them to drive the point home.

Yeah I agree and also those folk who wear sandals with socks on, especially white socks.:eek:

people crossing busy roads when there is a pedestrian crossing about ten yards away use the effing crossing thats what its there for:mad:

polwarthjambo

i've heard players from the age of 19 - 35 (usually ones looking for a move/pay rise) being interviewed and no matter what age they are they say "i'm ___ years old and at this stage of my career i need to be playing regular football". Does my t*ts in!

Also the phrase "if you'd told me six months ago that i'd have won the cup/played for scotland/be offered a 5 year deal/etc etc etc i'd never have believed you" is the most banal/brainless footballer's cliche.

People who use the wrong "their, there or they're", the wrong "your and you're" and even the wrong "to, too and two".

People who fail to use the words "please" and "thank you", and bad manners in general.

The staff in the pie kiosks at Tynie.

QUOTE]

I'd have to share those three with you. Also assumption, "the mother of all ****** ups" as was once said.

It annoys me when people assum too much, too little or just completely wrong things about a person. Making up their mind without making the effort to find out.

Tesco Dalkeith management DELIBERATELY have their daily meeting in the busiest staff corridor in the store. Al they do is get in the bleeding way.

There's a huge meeting room through the back with more than enough room to chat. USE IT!

I cannot abide the following;

Bad grammar (Eg incorrect use of words like done, seen, went, gone , saw etc.)

Cretins who use a questioning word or phrase at the end of a comment like aye, ken, know what I mean.

The use of the word like as in I was like....... utterly stupid.

Drivers who do not indicate.

Drivers who park in disabled parking or parent and child spaces because they are too lazy to walk a bit further to the store entrance.

Litter louts (bring back the death penalty for them !!)

Any TV programme with the word celebrity in the title.

The Scouse accent.

Neds.

People who shout in to mobile phones on buses etc.

The annoying australian/american speech inflection whereby people turn a statement into a question for no good reason, nailed here by Stephen Fry about 8 mins into the clip...

Those who say they are doing things out of principle- no you're not. You're looking out for No 1.

Old folk blocking the aisles in supermarkets at the weekends. You've got all week to do your shopping.

People that use the word 'wir'.

Schemies that finish every sentence with 'but'

People who use buzz words and phrases in a business situation in an attempt to make it look like they know what they're talking about.

People who use ridiculous phrases to describe football issues in an attempt to make it look like they know what they're talking about; in the hole, holding midfielder, and other phrases that mean nothing.

People who take smelly food on London Underground.

I could go on but I'm getting angry now...

Yep! :mad: I'm glad somebody mentioned it. It's always kids that are about 14, and wear ther "branded" tracksuits...really ****es me off.

Even worse on my day off last week was heading up town by bus. it was afternoon so bus was fairly quiet but I was still shocked to see this guy mid 30s and looked almost respectable blaring out his music from his phone. It wasn't your usual dance nonsense but was equally as bad. What a pleb. :mad:

People who use buzz words and phrases in a business situation in an attempt to make it look like they know what they're talking about.

People who use ridiculous phrases to describe football issues in an attempt to make it look like they know what they're talking about; in the hole, holding midfielder, and other phrases that mean nothing.

peopl who take smelly food on London Underground.

I could go on but I'm getting angry now...

could it smell any worse? why not just say London underground, even London itself; horrible place.

coppercrutch
I cannot abide the following;

Bad grammar (Eg incorrect use of words like done, seen, went, gone , saw etc.)

Cretins who use a questioning word or phrase at the end of a comment like aye, ken, know what I mean.

The use of the word like as in I was like....... utterly stupid.

Drivers who do not indicate.

Drivers who park in disabled parking or parent and child spaces because they are too lazy to walk a bit further to the store entrance.

Litter louts (bring back the death penalty for them !!)

Any TV programme with the word celebrity in the title.

The Scouse accent.

Neds.

People who shout in to mobile phones on buses etc.

If you are going to abuse bad grammar make sure you are spot on.

Unless I am wrong. But then I am not the grammar expert so I don't give a ****. :)

Ron Burgundy
Cyclists on pavements :mad: One asked me to get out of his way this morning while I was getting a parking ticket from the machine! I told him the road was for bikes but of course he just ignored me.

Ditto.The ones that go through a red light deserved to be crushed under the wheels of bus.

Also the ones that don't use the cycle path in the Queen's Park that has been put in specifically for these pwicks but hold up a whole lane of traffic instead should be executed.

I really really hate them.(No exceptions).

I wouldn't say this is a pet hate but something I get really disproportionately angry about is ...

BURNING THE TOAST!

I don't know why but it makes me totally raging!

Also getting into work and finding someone has moved stuff on my desk or removed it altogether without explanation, or adjusted my screen/chair. Grrrrr!

I wouldn't say this is a pet hate but something I get really disproportionately angry about is ...

BURNING THE TOAST!

I don't know why but it makes me totally raging!

Also getting into work and finding someone has moved stuff on my desk or removed it altogether without explanation, or adjusted my screen/chair. Grrrrr!

My car seat adjusts itself.

It gradually raises itself up so I end up hitting my head off the roof.

supermarket customers in general, absolute buggers

Never, ever, under any circumstances, even if your life depends on it, go to Teco Corstorphine on a Saturday afternoon.

Do your shopping there in the middle of the night when there is no one there :)

I get 'trolley rage', some folks' ignorance is unreal, how they can just stand there blocking the aisle when you are quite clearly in view trying to get past etc :mad:

Old folk are the worst for this, FACT.

Inconsiderate folk who think it's alright to faff about at a parking machine when I'm trying to get past on my bike, on the pavement. GTF!:mad:

Never, ever, under any circumstances, even if your life depends on it, go to Teco Corstorphine on a Saturday afternoon.

Do your shopping there in the middle of the night when there is no one there :)

I get 'trolley rage', some folks' ignorance is unreal, how they can just stand there blocking the aisle when you are quite clearly in view trying to get past etc :mad:

Old folk are the worst for this, FACT.

Tell me about it, been working in food retail for almost 9 years (somehow!) as we say in supermarkets, if it wasn't for customers it would be a brilliant job!!

Not all of them are bad though

People who brag about how much alcohol they drink. Yeah, like rotting your insides and dissolving your brain is something to be proud of.

Archived