WELL DONE THE POLICE

ando

What a waste of taxpayers monies.

Would you rather they stood and watched the game while getting paid ?

It is hearts that pay for the police during games anyway not the taxpayer.

Miller Jambo 60
Would you rather they stood and watched the game while getting paid ?

It is hearts that pay for the police during games anyway not the taxpayer.

If they were allowed to smoke in the open area between the GORGIE and Wheatfield then there would not be a prob.

PC gone mad.

And i am a NON SMOKER

Jam Tarts 1874
If they were allowed to smoke in the open area between the GORGIE and Wheatfield then there would not be a prob.

PC gone mad.

And i am a NON SMOKER

What's political correctness got to do with anything? The smoking ban is an health and safety issue. Personally I am amazed at the ignorance and lack of consideration shown by smokers.

Jambof3tornado
What's political correctness got to do with anything? The smoking ban is an health and safety issue. Personally I am amazed at the ignorance and lack of consideration shown by smokers.

here here!!

Miller Jambo 60

Think i would rather meet a smoker in the street at night than a nutter with a blade.

The police want to look at the real crimes.:107years::107years:

Think i would rather meet a smoker in the street at night than a nutter with a blade.

HMFC are required to have a certain level of police within the Stadium. So what would you rather they did?

Stand and watch the game?

Do something about the smoking in the toilets?

Every home game this is an issue and nothing seems to be done about it, however it appears something was done yesterday, although there was no police when I went at half time.

I agree that there should be an area where they are allowed to smoke but until there is then they should abide by the law, stadium rules and respect the people that do not smoke. Sometimes when you go in there you can barely see the urinals!

Miller Jambo 60
HMFC are required to have a certain level of police within the Stadium. So what would you rather they did?

Stand and watch the game?

Do something about the smoking in the toilets?

Every home game this is an issue and nothing seems to be done about it, however it appears something was done yesterday, although there was no police when I went at half time.

I agree that there should be an area where they are allowed to smoke but until there is then they should abide by the law, stadium rules and respect the people that do not smoke. Sometimes when you go in there you can barely see the urinals!

HMFC has no communication with the fans regarding the smoke policy.

I cant believe how petty some of you guys are on KB.

Maybe your wifes smoke but you cant get them to stop.

My wife does but in the garden.

:107years:

HMFC has no communication with the fans regarding the smoke policy.

I cant believe how petty some of you guys are on KB.

Maybe your wifes smoke but you cant get them to stop.

My wife does but in the garden.

:107years:

That is laughable, it's quite clear in the toilets in the Main Stand that it's no smoking - there is a sign which is about 4'x2' stating this!

would you rather they ignored law breakers and potential fire risks.

Ist point - Its a stadium Rule not a Law! Fact!

2nd point-Since when did concrete burn?

In the area outside toilets(section N2) and in the actual toilets area has a concrete floor, imo the chances of it being a fire hazard is minimum.

I agree no one should be smoking in the toilets,but excuse the pun '**** happens'

Stadium rules also state no standing in seating areas, are you going to ask the police/stewards to ask people to sit down? as most in N2 stand.

Live and let live, worse things happen...........

Miller Jambo 60
That is laughable, it's quite clear in the toilets in the Main Stand that it's no smoking - there is a sign which is about 4'x2' stating this!

I dont even smoke mate but it is petty rules set out in this country that does my head in.

How about child poverty being addressed or homeless people being helped.

No lets stop a jambo smoking in the bogs.

GET A LIFE .

Stop going if the smoke is killing you.

Or move to section N its smokeless.

My wife is loving this.

I dont even smoke mate but it is petty rules set out in this country that does my head in.

GET A LIFE .

My wife is loving this.

Or alternatively, you could stop being a ***** and try not sucking on something for more than 90 minutes?

joe kickass2

http://www.clearingtheairscotland.com/faqs/qanda.html#enforcement

"As an employer, or person in control of premises affected by the law, what will I have to do to comply?

Employers, managers and those in control of no-smoking premises need to display no-smoking notices and to take reasonable measures to ensure that staff, customers/members and visitors are aware of the new law and that they do not smoke in their premises. We recommend the following minimum action?the display of no-smoking notices (as specified in the legislation and guidance) so that they are clearly visible to all employees, customers and visitors while they are in the premises or approaching them; developing and implementing a smoke-free policy; removing all ashtrays from premises; informing anyone smoking that he/she is committing an offence; requesting that they extinquish their smoking material immediately or leave; and refusing service (if your business provides a service for customers or members). Further details can be found in the business guidance on this web-site. Signs which comply with the legislation can by ordered, free of charge, by calling 0845 300 3488.

What do I do if someone ignores the ban and smokes on my premises?

You will be expected to take all reasonable measures, outlined above to ensure that the person stops smoking. If he/she refuses, implement your normal procedure for anti-social/illegal behaviour in the premises. In all cases where physical violence or intimidation is threatened or encountered, seek the assistance of the police."

Maybe if the problem didn't exist the police could get on with catching real criminals.

The fact this thread exists is proof - as if it were needed - that smokers are the most selfish and inconsiderate people on this planet.

Miller Jambo 60
Or alternatively, you could stop being a ***** and try not sucking on something for more than 90 minutes?

You could read the posts and with a bit intelligence note.

I DONT SMOKE

Miller Jambo 60
Who said it was a cigarette you were putting in your mouth?

Luv it mate from the bourgh too .

Like Whitby for my hols you been.:107years::107years:

I would doubt if there were more than 15 police officers on duty at the game. So what you are saying is they were all outside the toilet in section N at the same time?

Men in uniform cottaging scandal.:)

Miller Jambo 60
I would doubt if there were more than 15 police officers on duty at the game. So what you are saying is they were all outside the toilet in section N at the same time?

Men in uniform cottaging scandal.:)

They do a good job standing there for 20 pound an hour.:eek:

They do a good job standing there for 20 pound an hour.:eek:

Not bad considering,jings some of our top talents were getting payed thousands for standing about a park on a saturday afternoon watching balls fly by.

In the area outside toilets(section N2) and in the actual toilets area has a concrete floor, imo the chances of it being a fire hazard is minimum.

I agree no one should be smoking in the toilets,but excuse the pun '**** happens'

Stadium rules also state no standing in seating areas, are you going to ask the police/stewards to ask people to sit down? as most in N2 stand.

The law says that smoking in enclosed public spaces is illegal. Thus, smoking in any of the public toilets is breaking the law. You are however right in saying that for the rest of Tynie its a stadium rule, as sitting in your seat for example is not an enclosed space.

I'm a smoker, and like a sly fag at half time, and it amazes me that Hearts havent set up a wee smoking area under or behind the Wheatfield, Gorgie and School End Stands. Smoking in the toilets is pretty vile considering how smoky they get and how many people need to use them at half time, but stupidly the determined smoker has little option (FWIW I've never smoked in the toilets, always on the concourse between the stands keeping an eye out for stewards).

As for the main stand, there doesn't seem to be an obvious solution, there is no area in the open other than the seated bit where people could concievably go so unless they want to start letting people smoke in the old N1 section that now houses Setanta's hut people will keep smoking in the toilets.

the determined smoker has little option

What do these people do when on an aircraft for 2+ hours?

sitting in your seat for example is not an enclosed space.

I'm afraid it is. An enclosed space is defined as something that is fully or substantially enclosed by (IIRC) three or more sides. That's why bus shelters fall under the enclosed space rule (thankfully) and why a seat in a stand certainly does.

...As for the main stand, there doesn't seem to be an obvious solution...

The obvious solution is for smokers in the main stand to show a teeny-weeny amount of self-control & strength of will and desist smoking for 1 hour 45 minutes and, in turn, show some consideration for those that choose not to smoke.

It seems a quite reasonable solution to me.

portobellojambo1

As a smoker I admit that at first I used to go down onto the concourse, at the junction between the Wheatfield and the Roseburn for a fag at half time.

Now I don't even think about it, I think you just become used to it, you go into the game knowing you cannot smoke inside the ground, it ain't a big deal, well not to me (was at first, but I think that was just a natural reaction, human beings always react to things they do not agree with).

While I still think there is scope to permit open air smoking areas within Tynecastle the club obviously do not want to do it, and that is fair enough, their decision.

As usual the woe is me smokers complain about their rights -- when smoking has no harm on another persons direct health then I'll support them but until then shut up and wait less than 2 hours for your next cigarette.

People have and do die from passive smoking -- that is the reason for the law.

All you smokers should be forced to see the last few weeks of a smokers life who dies of cancer -- then lets see if you complain so much.

ToadKiller Dog

I'm afraid it is. An enclosed space is defined as something that is fully or substantially enclosed by (IIRC) three or more sides. That's why bus shelters fall under the enclosed space rule (thankfully) and why a seat in a stand certainly does.

I am not sure the football stand would come under this would have to get out the measuring tape.

taken from the government page "This is an area with a ceiling or roof that ? except for doors, windows and passageways ? is either wholly enclosed (whether premanently or temporarily); or is enclosed but for an opening which is less than half of the area of its walls."

So maybe they could have a coughing section for the bronchial supporter ,tho would not like the job of picking up the butt ends as i doubt many would put them in the bin .

just imagine a smoke fog over one corner of tynie and when the old firm visit a radioactive unwashed smog over an other.

A smokers spluttering version of the hearts song belting out of the front part of section G.

Personally if someone cant go 90mins with out sticking a fag in the mouth they should seek medical help.

Billy Bigtime
The fact this thread exists is proof - as if it were needed - that smokers are the most selfish and inconsiderate people on this planet.

Yay!! we win again!

Gosh it's like the Olympics:shade:

First point, it was a stadium rule before the smoking ban, now it is a law. Fact!

Second point, is concrete the only thing used to build a football stand? Assuming you agree that the answer to that is no, how flammable do you think wood is?

Miller Jambo 60
What do these people do when on an aircraft for 2+ hours?

How do you cope with an attitude that fuels me and my mates with a laugh.

I bet you are a wee guy devoted to MAGGIE THATCHER and praying for a life

Perhaps if these people didn't break the law, the police wouldn't have cause to lift them?

I don't smoke, and I spent the whole of the game without police attention. Coincidence?

ToadKiller Dog
Perhaps if these people didn't break the law, the police wouldn't have cause to lift them?

I don't smoke, and I spent the whole of the game without police attention. Coincidence?

Except on visits to darkheid or castle numbskull from strathclydes finest

How do you cope with an attitude that fuels me and my mates with a laugh.

I'm delighted you and your chums enjoy my posts. Thanks for the positive feedback. :)

SECTION N BAM, say no more. :rolleyes:

Smoking has been banned in the old stand since the Bradford fire inquiry IIRC. And quite right too!!

As I've said on many of these threads, I think smokers should be allowed to pursue their habit in the open sections around the new stands but smoking in the toilets is selfish in the extreme given how uncomfortable it makes it for others, especially children. Such miscreants should act like adults. :rolleyes:

Except on visits to darkheid or castle numbskull from strathclydes finest

You must have me confused with someone else.

ToadKiller Dog
You must have me confused with someone else.

Was more pointing to the point that just about everyone who went to parkhead last time was stopped by a gentleman of strathclyde police force and told dont be a bigot or sit down shut up or yer out!.

Absolute disgrace that some people cant go 2 hours without a cigarette. Smoking in the toilet is nothing short of complete selfishness and ignorance.

Absolute disgrace that some people cant go 2 hours without a cigarette. Smoking in the toilet is nothing short of complete selfishness and ignorance.

Iv'e got to agree with that.

However what about the feckwits who drink 3 pints of shandy and can't go 2 hours without visiting a stinking toilet ?

Are they all women ?

First point, it was a stadium rule before the smoking ban, now it is a law. Fact! Dont think so, if this is to be believed- Taken from the Scottish office website!

Sports stadia

Due to the variation in the design of stadia in relation to the seating or standing area of the ground, some stadia may be substantially enclosed while some are not. We would suggest that stadia owners take their own legal advice on whether their stadium is caught by the legislation as well as talking to the enforcement officers from their local authority. All wholly or substantially enclosed areas within the stadia complex will require to be smoke-free.

Second point, is concrete the only thing used to build a football stand? Assuming you agree that the answer to that is no, how flammable do you think wood is?

Thanks for your expert advice on Stadia construction,would you agree that normally cigarettes are stubbed out on the ground.?

If some idiot wants or attempts to stub it out on a wooden surface that may or may not cause a fire, not alot we can do about it and would still be the fact in any designated smoking area in all pubs, cafes ,shops etc

Thanks for your expert advice on Stadia construction,would you agree that normally cigarettes are stubbed out on the ground.?

If some idiot wants or attempts to stub it out on a wooden surface that may or may not cause a fire, not alot we can do about it and would still be the fact in any designated smoking area in all pubs, cafes ,shops etc

It would only take one idiot.

fire.jpg

I don't think you understand how policing works.

GET A LIFE .

My wife is loving this.

Why does your wife smoke outside?

Unfortunately, (to my knowledge), there are no child poverty or homeless people issues within Tynecastle on a matchday. However, if there were I would put both of these issues higher than people smoking in the toilet.

There is a binful of paper towels in the toilets that would love a bit of fag ash on them just to get the party started.

I will repost your quote from the Scottish Office website and shall highlight a section for you..

Sports stadia

Due to the variation in the design of stadia in relation to the seating or standing area of the ground, some stadia may be substantially enclosed while some are not. We would suggest that stadia owners take their own legal advice on whether their stadium is caught by the legislation as well as talking to the enforcement officers from their local authority. All wholly or substantially enclosed areas within the stadia complex will require to be smoke-free.

Now, the above paragraph covers ALL sports stadia, some of which may not have enclosed areas. Tynecastle, and particularly the old stand where section N is, is a big wooden thing that has walls and a roof.

I thank you for agreeing with me; Smoking IS a fire hazard. As for stubbing cigarettes out I would disagree with you, far too often cigarettes are merely discarded as opposed to stubbed out. This would be a huge problem in a big wooden stand. As Deek points out, it only takes one. As for the "not a lot we can do about it" there actually is, we can enforce the law, much like the police did in this instance.

Also, not sure if you are from Scotland or not but, NO pubs, NO cafes and NO shops have "designated smoking areas".

Fergie_Jambo

I'm a smoker, but don't indulge at the game for the simple reason that I'm asked not to.

However, comments like the above give me some pleasure that you appear to have been inconvenienced at some point by my fellow smokers.

I will repost your quote from the Scottish Office website and shall highlight a section for you..

Sports stadia

Now, the above paragraph covers ALL sports stadia, some of which may not have enclosed areas. Tynecastle, and particularly the old

stand where section N is, is a big wooden thing that has walls and a roof.

Very good, thanks for that, but when did i mention smoking in the 'old main stand' which i agree is a total no no as the floor is wooden

if you read my previous post i am talking about N2,

which is the enclosure and has a 'Concrete' floor and as i stated would be very difficult to set alight!

I thank you for agreeing with me; Smoking IS a fire hazard. As for stubbing cigarettes out I would disagree with you, far too often cigarettes are merely discarded as opposed to stubbed out. This would be a huge problem in a big wooden stand. As Deek points out, it only takes one. As for the "not a lot we can do about it" there actually is, we can enforce the law, much like the police did in this instance.

Also, not sure if you are from Scotland or not but, NO pubs, NO cafes and NO shops have "designated smoking areas".

Mate im from Edinburgh and as im sure you know most if not all pubs/cafes have ashtrays fixed outside on a wall, and as far as im aware you can smoke at any outside seating areas!

Archived