Comments on Obua

dodger_84

For those of us who were not able to get to the match today can some guys on here give their views on how he performed today?

What kind of player is he?

Heard Mikey Stewart had another cracker today!!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a debut and supposed to be not match fit, thought he had a fine game.

Was on the left of midfield in the first half. Cant recall him wasting a ball and was more of a drifter inside the park than taking on his man and getting to the byeline. In fact, cant think of many times he did take on a man.

Second half went to LB after a couple of mins when Wallace was hooked. Looked more at home on the left of the defence and again never wasted a ball and tracked back well - He actually made some fantastic passes all the way through the game. Lovely touch.

Think LB is his better position on what I seen today. Other posters may see it different though.

Was on the left of midfield in the first half. Cant recall him wasting a ball and was more of a drifter inside the park than taking on his man and getting to the byeline. In fact, cant think of many times he did take on a man.

Second half went to LB after a couple of mins when Wallace was hooked. Looked more at home on the left of the defence and again never wasted a ball and tracked back well - He actually made some fantastic passes all the way through the game. Lovely touch.

Think LB is his better position on what I seen today. Other posters may see it different though.

Was Wallace taken off for having a poor game?

you must have watched a different game from me mate! thought he was a bombscare at left back.

Was Wallace taken off for having a poor game?

Dunno Colin, but Wallace was hooked pretty sharpish after HT - right after making a mistake.

Dunno if he was injured though.

Chesney was stripped pretty sharpish.

Wallace went straight down the tunnel without the usual pat on the back from Csaba.

letsalllaughathobos
you must have watched a different game from me mate! thought he was a bombscare at left back.

i thought that he looked a bit dodgy at LB aswell.

Agree word for word GA. Wanted himm to take on his man but maybe he didn't feel fit enough.

Solid debut.

Dunno Colin, but Wallace was hooked pretty sharpish after HT - right after making a mistake.

Dunno if he was injured though.

Chesney was stripped pretty sharpish.

Wallace went straight down the tunnel without the usual pat on the back from Csaba.

More likely because he was on a yellow - a booking St Mirren players seemed to ask for and get...His timing in the tackles was a bit out and he has a tendency to push the ball a bit too far and having to dive in to try to retain possesion

Thought Obua looked good but i preferred him in LM

I thought the guy looked like a quality player if handled properly. But never in a million years is he a left back. Too attack minded and leaves us totally exposed at the back. Left Midfield or even more central attacking midfielder.

Hearts Heritage

Very Very left footed hit some accurate cross field passes. Good first touch.

Angry Haggis

Solid enough debut for me. Interesting to see how he fares against better attackers.

Today - Well done Obua.

wallace played well, had an good shot saved and made many good runs. i think he came off so obua could get more of a game as he wasnt much of a threat in midfield so chesny was brought on.

Wouldn't quite say he was a bombscare at left back but he did take a wee while to settle when he switched, but then again it was the same at the start of the game and it was his debut and he does lack match fitness so I guess its understandable. Seems to want the ball all the time, likes to pass it on quickly (seems to be Csaba's style). His first touch was a wee bit heavy but I hope thats just down to match sharpness, lets wait and see. 6/10 for effort :)

He can ping a decent pass, he can also offload shocking passes.

Preferred him in midfield where he was tidy without being special, thought he didn't lok to comfy in defence.

Pass marks just, needs more match fitness and hopefully there is more to come.

Good feet, good touch, plays simple passes and doesnt give the ball away.

More a Jim Bett than a Paul Hartley but very left footed by the looks of things.

I thought he had a steady debut. He made some good passes but looked quite one-footed (although no more so than Goncalves). Looked like he might have been at fault for saints goal though.

Mikey was great again today, some brilliant passes and gave good encouragement to Thomson. Shame about the second pen but we won anyway so can't complain too much. Moley had another solid game and hopefully the goal will boost his confidence.

Thought we looked in complete control for the first 75 mins but maybe lacked a little bit of drive in midfield / cutting edge.

On the radio Allan Preston said he was very good and should be a player for us,but as for Nade, he basicaly said he was pish and very over weight.

Ogi fae Gorgie

Personally I thought he was very good. Not afraid to ask for the ball likes a one two and never gave the ball away. You trying to tell me Wallace is better than this guy. Stick to threads on JKB.

Guest JamboRobbo

Looks quality to me. So comfortable on the ball., never gave it away all day long. Any time they tried to press him, he looked so composed. I think he'll do a job in the hole rather than out wide though. He's always looking for it short to feet rather than in behind, so I think put driver back on the left, Larry back on the right, and play Obua in behind the striker.

Played well first half and can certainly pass and dribble.

Was not comfortable at left back. He twice committed himself near the half way line and was asleep at the St Mirren goal. Too offensive minded to be our left back IMO.

ArmiyaRomanova

Considering he's not entirely fit (by his own admission if I recall correctly) and doesn't know his team mates or the Scottish game well yet, I thought he had a very promising start - in both positions.

not sure of him at left back. and doesn't look to be a winger.

i would like to see him along side mickey in the centre.

i think they could develop into a very good partnership.

From where I was, it looked like he sold the goal. I could be totally wrong, though.

Was a bit disappointed, tbh; don't see how he's meant to be particularly prolific in terms of goalscoring.

Probably not best at full back. A touch of the Jose's in his positioning !

Tidy is the word that comes to mind. I look forward to seeing him match sharp.

Looked very comfortable on the ball and some excellent cross field passes. Good vision, good strength and generally very tidy. Looks like a more attacking version of Palazeulos, which is good news.

From where I was sitting he was a bit ropey at left back. Seemed to switch off at their goal and was leaving us a bit exposed. This can be excused at the moment as it was only his debut and hes not match fit.

as for Nade, he basicaly said he was pish and very over weight.

What lazy punditry. Nade's clearly lost a ton of weight.

unlike gonzalves, obua has a good first touch. a bit defensive and his positioning wasn't great. not too many stray passes and played everything safe. solid debut

chesney was great

driver was inconsistent

moles goal was great - otherwise pish.

Allan Preston is a ladies front bottom.

FACT

Typical Alan Preston tbh.

He just opens his mouth and the pish just spews out.

One of the worst pundits out there.

Typical Alan Preston tbh.

He just opens his mouth and the pish just spews out.

One of the worst pundits out there.

Cat, its unhealthy how much I ****ing despise him.

Rat faced scrote.

Cat, its unhealthy how much I ****ing despise him.

Rat faced scrote.

Don't have a lot of time for the boy either mate.

He's a complete dobber who just says what his paymasters expect of him.

Obua looked strong, athletic, very one footed...a bit like Jose BUT he has a good touch and had some very good passes.

Would be suprised if he played left back generally for Hearts. Looked less comfortable at the back and did hesitate for the equaliser, which to be honest was poorly defended by the Hearts side.

I think he has some good attribute but am unsure to what his settled position would be. Would like to see him in an isolated position with a defender as his pace and touch looked very promising but today there was not a huge deal of space for him to expose.

Ryan Gosling

He says he prefers to play behind the striker, so it's not surprising he struggled a bit at left back.

6/10 for me, sure there will be more to come. Considering he's not had a real pre-season, or played in any games I think he did fine.

Toxteth O'Grady

A very solid debut

Always looked for the simple low risk pass and didn't give the ball away.

As Gigolo said he didn't look like he wanted to take on a man but as he settles in I expect he will give a bit more going forward.

Looks a good player.

Good feet, good touch, plays simple passes and doesnt give the ball away.

More a Jim Bett than a Paul Hartley but very left footed by the looks of things.

Definitely favours the left - I thought he looked good, though he'll need a couple of games to settle. Composed and very mobile - I suspect he might be a very useful utility man ...

thought he looked good. He was running past my seat in row 3 of section F quite a lot in the first half. Didn't lose the ball very often if at all (can't think of an instance anyway) and looked comfortable with it at his feet. Seemed to have quite a roaming role. ended up in the middle of the park a lot or dropping back to pick it up. Covered a lot of grass for a supposedly unfit player.

Gimme an H...
From where I was, it looked like he sold the goal. I could be totally wrong, though.

Was a bit disappointed, tbh; don't see how he's meant to be particularly prolific in terms of goalscoring.

You're right mate, can't believe you're the first to point it out.

I sit in section N upper and from where I was he was very poor for their goal. Wasn't close enough to the boy who drilled it across and when he did get to him made a half hearted attempt to block.

Also a bit worrying when you see your left back going for every ball with his centre half in the air leaving someone on the right with acres!

I guess that will come with time and the more he gets used to the team.

Not a bad debut but doesn't set the heather alight for me. Yet.

loveofthegame

Fantastic first half. Looks like a midfielder to me more than a full back.

Only criticism is he was incredibly slow at their goal and along with the shocking marking of Hammy at the goal he was also a contributory factor- he dithered on the ball at the back post and should have cleared. However can hopefully/probably put that down to not being used to pace of the Scottish game. Def at fault though.

Overall i think we have a real gem though.

Obua was sleeping at the equaliser. He should have been far more alert and emptied into the stands.

Otherwise he looks like a decent player. You can`t judge on one game but he looks more a midfielder than defender.

Guest JamboRobbo

Cant believe the stick he's getting to be honest, but it's all about opinions so fair enough.

I thought he looked quality.

loveofthegame
Cant believe the stick he's getting to be honest, but it's all about opinions so fair enough.

Don't get me wrong, looks a real player but was def partly at fault for the goal.

Think he'll become a top player for us though with a bit more confidence and match practice.

First half I thought he looked bright, good first touch, passed the ball well. When Wallace was pulled and they changed formation he was less comfortable at left back but he looked good going forward and was probably keen to impress on his debut. Nevertheless I was fairly impressed.

Thought he was fairly competent on the ball but he very rarely actually carried the ball and never ran at anyone. Promising debut, hopefully more to come from him.

I`d say an obsevation rather than stick mate. Everyone has commented he`s a good player but he got the basics very wrong at the goal.

If you don`t know who`s behind you or whats happening you must be alert in that position and react and empty the ball. Basic stuff really.

Technically he looked pretty good but his effectiveness was blunted by the fact that he hardly knew his team mates. This was a bit more apparent when he was being asked to operate as part of a back four and we looked a bit less organised at the back after Lee Wallace went off.

Archived