Jambonomics: Respect is Due

Deodato

You know its time to look at the kickback stats,

...yeah, and here's what the data throws back.

1. Total Membership List of JKB is a staggering 10,674 Of which around 1133 are 'steady active'

2. Total Posts on All Boards of Kickabck since it launched is fast approaching the half million mark, now standing at 433,040

3. The average post per member, active or not, is 50, whilst for a 'steady active' post per member is 380.

Ouch.

4. That means, if you've posted more than 380 times - your either killing it (on the boards) or killing it (in terms of social life).

Let's see who kills it most.

5. Listed below are the top five posters on Kickback, in rank order, with their total posts to date and their share of total posts on the boards, go check:

Rank Name Posts Share of Total Posts

1 (?????????) 18,746 4.3%

2 Dexter 17,417 4.0%

3 Chester Copperpot 16,054 3.7%

4 johnmitchell 12,277 2.8%

5 bighusref 10,689 2.5%

6. From here, some obersvations. (?????????) kills it with almost 19,000 posts - 4.3% of all posts ever on this version of JKB was his.

7. Dexter not far behind, at all, but he's a moderator so there may be noise in the data. Either way 4% of everything on the boards is in his name.

Next Question, Deodato: Is there a Long Tail?

8. Recall the 80/20 rule, in that you need only 20% of the titles in a Bricks and Mortar Bookstore to get 80% of the business, and vice versa.

9. Well, you can find 80% of the posts on Jambo's Kickback from the top seven members, including Drylaw Hearts and K1874M

10. That means that we have a 80/0.07 rule in place for all users and a 80/0.6 rule for steady active users.

Put simply, less than one percent of the boards membership generates 80 percent of the posts on Jambos Kickback.

If this was the music industry, then the Boards are behaving in a way that's symbolic of the Blockbuster Hits, and (?????????) is Appetitie for Destruction, Dexter is Thriller and so on. Oh, how I wish we could swap.

It isn't - but still, interesting - I mean it says nothing for quality, and Buffalo Bill - the best quality poster of them all - is sitting way back on 6,500.

Over to you for discussion.

Deodato.

johnnyknoxville

does add to the debate on whether jkb is a representative sample given the stat that 80% posts come from less than 1% of posters

wouldnt miss it for the world tho !

Charlie-Brown
I can't even get that in first. :th_Rage2:

I love that angry wee smiley.......it reminds me of that mister angry who used to inhabit the shed at tynie years ago.

J.T.F.Robertson
I love that angry wee smiley.......it reminds me of that mister angry who used to inhabit the shed at tynie years ago.

When my wife first saw it, she said it summed me up. :mad: I'm f***** if I know where the **** she ever came up with that f***** idea. :rolleyes:

If ever there was a case of someone not applying the quality not quantity maxim it's the top poster..... ;)

Duhhh. And what was the last point I finished on?

I mean it says nothing for quality, and Buffalo Bill - the best quality poster of them all - is sitting way back on 6,500.

So, less of the 'NOT' - I actually recognise this and finish on this very point.

Indeed, I used to campaign in vain to bring the infamous 'rep' back as it would offer another metric in which quality could be measured.

When the 2005-06 Season ('that season') Boards were at melt down, my big bro TopCat was in pole position on 'rep' the day the boards melted.

I was, like, 1,457th or something, but that's by the by.

Anyway, the secret undercurrents of this thread is not that I'm a sad statto (but the music industry is facinated by the long tail).

Rather, we must bring 'rep' back so there is a self regulatory force that screens posters, so we know who's really killing it for real.

I restate - quality was NOT ignored.

Deodato 2001

Charlie-Brown

I like Topcat his reasoning is impeccable - he also provides useful stats - the cartoon is quite good as well I liked it as a kid. :)

He has posted the same thing 19,000 times though. :cool_shades:

And we have had around 19,000 'players' since 05-06 !

Commander Harris
80% of posts on JKB come from 7 people and some still say it is representative of the Hearts support?

it can still be representative in that if we take opinions from a wide variety of posters rather than a wide variety of posts we'll get a useful indication of what a large group of Hearts supporters think.

On the season ticket polls for example, the results stacked up with what the official figures were.

80% of posts on JKB come from 7 people and some still say it is representative of the Hearts support?

Not sure how he worked that one out. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing it looks like the top 5 posters have 17.3% so presumably poster 6 + 7 don't have 62.7% between them.

Stats like that, as in the 1 % of kickback one, show why alot of people who come on kickback are intimidated to post, alot of the time it does seem like a private members club where only the accepted few will recieve replies to there posts and not be called hobos for voicing a different perspective.

Must agree about the buffalo bill point tho, classic poster pure quality :)

Not sure how he worked that one out. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing it looks like the top 5 posters have 17.3% so presumably poster 6 + 7 don't have 62.7% between them.

85 percent of statistics are made up.

My apologies Magic T, you are right, the reverse of the 80/20 rule - the top 7 posters generated 20% of posts.

Real sorry about that - clanger, but common - used to doing long tail the other way around.

But then I re-checked the head of the Long Tail and it doesn't add up. The top 90 posters delivered over half a million posts.

Or around 6,000 per head, on average.

That's more than the total number of posts on the front page of the boards.

Perhaps Mods can help out.

Is it the case that threads dissapear, hence the front page post count is erroded on the front page, but maintained on the member list?

Otherwise, you can ignore 20 percent of the original post.

Still, half a million posts from 90 Jambos, if true - ouch.

Deodato

But then I re-checked the head of the Long Tail and it doesn't add up. The top 90 posters delivered over half a million posts.

Deodato

But, but, but.

There have only been 433,000 posts so far as per your original post.

Yours pedantically,

Tazio

But, but, but.

Yours pedantically,

Tazio

Exactly, that's what I'm asking the Mods for, Tottenham Tazio.

From the front page, you get total posts on all boards.

Then from the members list, you get a tally on posts per member.

I took the first 90, and got half a million - or 6,000 per head.

That's more than the front page.

So 20% of my original post is balls, sorry bro.

Deodato da Gooner.

But, but, but.

Yours pedantically,

Tazio

Here's one solution, using the members list only data.

Cut off the distribution at 1,000 posts minimum - no one else enters.

Gives you 353 posters in total.

Who delivered 1,047,993 posts.

An average of 3,000 each.

So, of the 'heavy posters' on kickback (the top 353) you get a stat that says 80% of the posts came from the top 57% of the posters.

That's a pretty flat distribution.

But then consider that's only 3% of all registered members, (adding back the sub 1000 post mob) and you see how the Long Tail grows and grows.

My spreadsheet cant take any more screen drops.

But its similar to iTunes, where you have 4.7 million tracks available, but the vast chunk of them (96%) shift next to nothing.

A long dormant tail, or just lurkers who read but don't post?

Deodato

Everybody loves Baz

But to be honest around 17,000 out of the 19'000 could've just been left at,

I don't trust Mad Vlad !

Guest GhostHunter

Post counts that you see on the front page, do not take into account those posts which the moderators have trashed or deleted.

Since inception on the new server with the new url - the actual post count total is 452,607 which equates to 2011 posts per day on average.

** The old board when shut had a total post count over 1.3million IIRC, and that was over a longer "active" period, so the stats coming out, are simply incredible.

In that time, the total unique visitor count for the board is 581,100 over 225 days - equating to an average unique visitor count per day of 2582 users.

EDIT - Remember Deo, that post counts were imported from the old board, so the stats you quote are silghtly off :) I'll try and do some work to get an actual reflection of the post counts to post totals later.

I would consider myself to be a lurker. I probably spend at least an hour or so per day on the board but have less than 350 posts. There are so many posts within threads that are just repetitive or cover any valid points that I may wish to make that it is not worth passing comment on.

There has actually been well over a million posts made on Kickback since our last major overhaul in January 2006.

Guest GhostHunter
There has actually been well over a million posts made on Kickback since our last major overhaul in January 2006.

There WERE about 1.3m posts on the old JKB server, so that coupled to the new board, we're not far from 2m posts since the last major overhaul....

At a guess, that puts JKB up there, as one of the busiest football forums around...

to be honest the site is always busy but im suprised there isn't more 'steady active' members given how many turn up at tynie every week.

Post counts that you see on the front page, do not take into account those posts which the moderators have trashed or deleted.

There is the key. I would suspect that around 10,000 posts by senor Deodato have been deleted. I heard that 9,999 of them were posts declaring love of an Arsenal full back, the last one merely an expletive laden rant.:)

Isn't that right Eumir?

Guest GhostHunter
There is the key. I would suspect that around 10,000 posts by senor Deodato have been deleted. I heard that 9,999 of them were posts declaring love of an Arsenal full back, the last one merely an expletive laden rant.:)

Isn't that right Eumir?

:D

Guest JamboRobbo

EDIT - Remember Deo, that post counts were imported from the old board, so the stats you quote are silghtly off :) I'll try and do some work to get an actual reflection of the post counts to post totals later.

Well you can add back in the saddos who got thousands of posts removed from their counts by the mods so they didn't look as sad as me also please.

Plenty people happy to slag someone off behind their backs opn this thread eh.

Well you can add back in the saddos who got thousands of posts removed from their counts by the mods so they didn't look as sad as me also please.

Surely it is just a representation of the posts?

Having said that, yeah you are right, I never got told respect was due, where is my respect?:mad:

JR, it isn't that bad is it?

Charlie-Brown
Surely it is just a representation of the posts?

Having said that, yeah you are right, I never got told respect was due, where is my respect?:mad:

cartman.jpg

Plenty people happy to slag someone off behind their backs opn this thread eh.

Its hardly "behind your back" when its in the public domain is it....

Dry yer eyes.

Guest JamboRobbo

Try coming into work in the morning, finding a thread with your name at the top, and a bunch of internet weirdos having digs at you.

Guest GhostHunter

JR - come on, it's not that bad is it ?

Nobody is really being slagged off, it's gentle patter is it not ? I'm not offended in the slightest that people think I'm a saddo with a large......postcount....

To be honest, you should be proud, because you contribute more than most to JKB - without people like you (and others) JKB would cease to be the #1 forum for Hearts fans.

Guest JamboRobbo
JR - come on, it's not that bad is it ?

Nope, but it's not allowed either. Thats why they have that rule.

Come in to find I'm taking stick from the likes of NMH, who actually believes None is Roman Romanov. Aye right.

Then they're making a big deal out of post counts, when I could name certain posters who've had THOUSANDS removed from their post counts by the mods to try and hide their identities

Guest GhostHunter
Nope, but it's not allowed either. Thats why they have that rule.

Come in to find I'm taking stick from the likes of NMH, who actually believes None is Roman Romanov. Aye right.

Certain posts aside (which I'll look at shortly) - you do accept that the basic premise of the thread content where you are named, is okay ?

Try coming into work in the morning, finding a thread with your name at the top, and a bunch of internet weirdos having digs at you.

Christ mate, that happens to me on here every bloody day! :laugh:

Tad rich coming from mr "19000 is my next target".

Archived