Your Memories of Hearts 3 Hibs 2 Sat 03 Sep 1983 Required

Hearts Heritage

I was behind the goal, my normal vantage point at the school end, just half way up and nearer the right hand post as you look onto the pitch.

I remember the Robbo curler and have never lived it down, as he collected the ball and struck it, I started to shout "what are ye daein..." before "daein" was out, the ball just hit the net...I went berserk, my pal, Davie Wallace "THAT'S what he's "daein"

The Jimmy Bone goal was another peach, he rose, so alone and near the goal that at first I thought..."He's got to be offside" glanced Andy Davis wards and it was IN...I was going do-lally! Even on Euro nights, I can't recall the crowd being so loud as it was after Bone scored, almost white noise..!

The Monday, bragging rights at the office day was delightfull, The Scotsman back page headlines boomed "The John Robertson Derby"

What a great weekend, and I was barely old enough to drink, but I had a few vimto's that night, and maybe a red cola chaser.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hearts Heritage

What younger readers may find very difficult to believe is just how dispiriting going to Derbies in the late 60s and 70s was. They were either pretty much awful 0-0 draws or Hibs 'cuffing' us. Looking back it must be how Hibs fans felt during the 17 and 22 unbeaten game runs.

That is why that game was so significant it put a marker down that something new was about to happen.

Historically Hearts win over Hibs (the then holders of the Cup) in Oct 1877 marked the end of that Era.

1887102201.jpg

1887102202.jpg

1887102203.jpg

To put a right dampner on things that was Hearts' first victory at Tynecastle over Hibs for 10 years:eek:

Hearts' third victory over Hibs in 10 years :eek:

and Hearts' 4th victory since 1968 :eek: (3-1 1968, 4-1 1973, 1-2 1979):eek:

And still overall, their derby record is abysmal.:107years:

Libertonian_II
Unfortunately I was stuck in the Hibs end,it was a bit taught

I have The Scotsman photo from the Monday after the match of the aftermath of Robbos goal taken from the Gorgie Road end.

You can actually recognise some faces

If there was one photo I could go back in time to get, it would be that one.

10344 was the number, I think. Myself and friends were going 'radio rental' after Robbo's curler.

Libertonian_II
Time for you to get the scanner out and scan that photo and share it with the folks:cool::cool::cool:

Anyone care to agree and presure him into doing it ?:P

Absolutely feckin' right

Please pretty please:p

ming the merciless
Thank **** someone else was enjoying the real derby day experience with me. I was beginning to think I had dreamt the the whole day. I dont think we'd played Hibs for a couple of season due to releagation so it was the first derby for ages (and wasn't televised!!!)

We (the PIVOT) started off in Scotts (Rose St. ) before going into Elders (I think) to "meet" ;)(read paggir) the Hibby's. I got about 3 feet (1 metre to you youngsters) into the pub when I got smashed in the face with one of those wee bar stools (and I dont mean a wee Hibby ****e..... come to think of it !!! ) :hobofish:anyway, I was up at A&E getting stitches before a ball was kicked and missed the start of the game.) Elders got wrecked, Pivot won, Hearts won, the good times were back on and off the pitch and the whole domination of this fixture has continued ever since.

Believe me, when you grew up in Jocks Lodge in the 70's it wasn't easy being a Hearts fan. This to me, was the game, the turning point against Hibs, that Hearts returned to being the Edinburgh's No. 1 team.

Ah memories.

It was the first derby for 4 years due to us both yo-yoing up and down past each other. It was my first match for a couple of years as well. I remember going along thinking how exciting it felt getting back into supporting the JT's.

At half time we were 1-0 down and I was sitting on the steps in the corner of the shed absolutely gutted. Wondering why I'd opened myself up to this misery.

Then 2nd half we went up a gear and Robbo scored THAT goal - unbelievable! For the next 5 minutes we absolutely pummelled them, then they sneaked up the park and scored again. Then a dodgy pass back (Ally Brazil?) which Robbo latched onto. Their goalie brought him down and I was screaming for a penalty, till I realised he'd got a toe on it and it trundled into the net. Pandemonium in the shed!

Then wee Parky (before he went to the dark side) put in a high hanging cross from just inside their half. Jimmy Bone coming in like a ****ing train and absolutely bulleting it into the top corner! I honestly think it's the best header I've ever seen. And possibly the most mental goal celebration. I'm sure I was greetin' at that point.

Ended up in Oliver's bar in Rose Street late on. The back room was choc-a-bloc with p*shed Hearts fans, flags draped right across the bar.

Absolute *****ing magic, one of the best ever!! Such a shame none of it was televised.

Haven't been able to shake off the Hearts bug ever since. Go on the JT's!!!

Libertonian_II
Aye and i'll second Liberton II

I was always gonna buy the photy from the Scotsman but never got round to it. Last time I saw it, and that was a long time ago, it was on the wall of one of West End Hearts regulars

stevieC@pivot
It was the first derby for 4 years due to us both yo-yoing up and down past each other. It was my first match for a couple of years as well. I remember going along thinking how exciting it felt getting back into supporting the JT's.

At half time we were 1-0 down and I was sitting on the steps in the corner of the shed absolutely gutted. Wondering why I'd opened myself up to this misery.

Then 2nd half we went up a gear and Robbo scored THAT goal - unbelievable! For the next 5 minutes we absolutely pummelled them, then they sneaked up the park and scored again. Then a dodgy pass back (Ally Brazil?) which Robbo latched onto. Their goalie brought him down and I was screaming for a penalty, till I realised he'd got a toe on it and it trundled into the net. Pandemonium in the shed!

Then wee Parky (before he went to the dark side) put in a high hanging cross from just inside their half. Jimmy Bone coming in like a ****ing train and absolutely bulleting it into the top corner! I honestly think it's the best header I've ever seen. And possibly the most mental goal celebration. I'm sure I was greetin' at that point.

Ended up in Oliver's bar in Rose Street late on. The back room was choc-a-bloc with p*shed Hearts fans, flags draped right across the bar.

Absolute *****ing magic, one of the best ever!! Such a shame none of it was televised.

Haven't been able to shake off the Hearts bug ever since. Go on the JT's!!!

It was nearly as much fun as Methil on New Years day !!:P

Archived