Your Memories of Hearts 3 Hibs 2 Sat 03 Sep 1983 Required

Hearts Heritage

I was talking about this very game with a mate of mine the other day. It's one of those games that was so special I'll remember the actual date as long as I live.

I was 13 and didn't sleep a wink the night before due to nerves and excitement. I was behind the school end goals slightly to the right and had to spend the entire match on my tip toes to see anything. Robbo's first goal was a carbon copy of the famous Dalglish goal versus Belgium. An absolute stunner. As for the second, as it trickled towards the line I was convinced that Fatty MacNamara was going to get back and clear it so I went down from my tip toes and placed my Puma Dalglish's back on the ground. A second later it was chaos and I was being battered stupid all over the place. Brilliant! Clearly I had misjugded the pace and ability of this blubbery, sweaty, walloper.

Let's pause for a minute to salute "Jackie" for this, and for his short pass back to O'Connor in '79 (my first Fester Rd derby). Clearly, he was the Zibby of his day.

As for the winner, as far as I was concerned it was from the edge of the box and that's how I recreated it whilst out playing for the next 6 months or so. To this day it remains that way in my moron brain and will forever, even if in reality it was from about 10 yards and there's nothing that will ever make me change my mind.

After the semi-final humiliation and Fozzy in the cup this is my favourite one. If I could choose one game to see highlights of it would be this game.

Utterly, wonderfully, beautifully, joyous. It's what being a Hearts fan is all about. The Hibby's really don't have a clue.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
winston churchill

i was in the corner of the shed with the big boys.

was that the game that,one lamp went to head the ball and was blinded by the sun,wee robbo ran behind him to slot it past fat ruffy.

Hans von Luck
20,002 was printed in the Gritty Gallant and Glorious book. Those were the days though when clubs, allegedly, pockled a few bob by not declaring the Main stand in it`s takings.

You are not trying tom say that the great Waldo ever knocked a few thousand off the gate are you ? :rolleyes:

Charlie-Brown

Was 15 at the time - I'm actually in one the photo's on London Hearts site, my Dad is in another photo and I recognise about 3 or 4 others from the photo's..... anyway I got crushed to hell against the terracing barrier when the first goal went in, made my way down to the front, not long after wee Robbo curled one up & over Rough who threw himself through the air but was never getting it, me & my best mate were rolling about on the ground with about 15 other people.......made my way back up the terracing towards Dad & the place erupted into chaos when Bone nodded the winner and a sea of us plunged forward down the terracing in celebration & many were crushed but few were complaining - the cheering continued until the final whistle and long after - a great game, remarkable victory - a famous win that buried the bad old days of the seventies - Hearts were Back! :)

awadooningorgie2

First derby too, all I remember is Robbo's second. Seemed like a shot/lob from miles out, one of the cleverest goals I have ever seen.

How many were hooked for life that day? I know I was.

Most memorable derby day ever, started with good bevy with the pivot boys rose street followed by a good ruck with hibbys.

then a good win at tynie, a fixed odds coupon win another ruck with hibbys outside supermarket dalry a visit to police station haymarket then train home to kirkcaldy & more bevy priceless!!

Was it not due to a strike by cameramen. There is no early season footage from that season?

I'm not certain though.

There was a strike in 85/86 season.

I think in 1983 it was just that only 2 games were covered each weekend, and all the derbies were played on the same day.

OF always shown.

Aberdeen v Dundee Utd, if Dundee were down, was a TV draw as they were both excellent sides then.

It was nice to learn that Jimmy Bone is actually a born and bred Jambo even though he`s from Fallon.

I`m sure he enjoyed that game more than any other player that day.

Yes, it's great to know Jimmy is a jambo. I remember when he was a guest of Off The Ball, I emailed in asking him if he enjoyed his time at Hearts..."I loved every minute of it...Hearts are my favourite team. My mum was a Hearts fan."

Lynn:ninja:

i was in the corner of the shed with the big boys.

was that the game that,one lamp went to head the ball and was blinded by the sun,wee robbo ran behind him to slot it past fat ruffy.

No, that was a different game. That was Robbo's first derby match after returning from Newcastle. He'd also had a horrendous haircut! LOL!

Lynn:ninja:

Me too. He seemed to hang in the air.

It's hard for youngsters to imagine now but our derby record in the 10 or so years before that was woeful.

The only decade in 130 years of history where they have held the upper hand.

Morrissey1914

One of my favourite games as although first attended football match in mid 1970s had hardly been to any Derbies. My dad used to take me to both ER and Tynecastle and I was with Hibbies at this game, but I think even Hibs fans realised what a miss the Derby was after it.

Hearts Heritage
The only decade in 130 years of history where they have held the upper hand.

Not quite true. Hibs dominated the fixture in the early years.

Up to their cup win in 1887, Hibs won 24, Hearts only 8 , 8 draws and 4 abandonded.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/misc/hibscupwin.htm

James McGhee scoring 20 goals for Hibs. This total may well be more as scrorers in early games are not recorded. McGhee is Hibs record scorer in the fixture and he may have scored more than Bobby Walker's 31 or Tommy Walker's 29 goals in the fixture. NB Robbo is the 'competitive' record holder with 27.

McGhee scored a remarkable 5 goals in the first 25 minutes of their 7-1 win in the Rosebery Cup. McGhee became Hearts manager 20 years later.

1887051601.jpg

1887051602.jpg

However the 3-1 win in the replay of the Scottish Cup game over the holders in October 1887 marked the end of that 'domination'.

1887102201.jpg

1887102202.jpg

1887102203.jpg

A position of dominance they would wait another 80 years to attain, only then to be eclipsed by 'The Robertson Years', which started on that sunny day 25 years ago.

Doctor FinnBarr

I can remember being in the Clock Inn after the game and if my memory serves me correctly there was a Union Jack laid out on the floor with people doing the Hokey-Cokey round it!!!!!

:confused:

Yep.

My first derby...will never forget it until the day I die.

12 years old,in the south enclosure,with my wee tammy on !!!

That was the day that "blooded" me in as a Jam Tart.

"Jimmy Bone-Jimmy Bone-Jimmy Bone"

Can anyone confirm which of Robbo's goals was the curler?

I was convinced it was his second...

I'm still convinced it was the first...but then I haven't had my pills yet today.

Hearts Heritage

It was his first, second was the intercepted pass back.

I 'have it from the horse's mouth' so to speak, as you will find out on the third. :)

I thought it was his second Boof.

Me and my mate walked along the Western approach road from Lothian Road. Got to the Diggers and had a few beers, before heading for the game. I was starving and bought a couple of pies, but burnt my pallet they were so hot.

I dont remember the stadium being packed out. We sat on the benches under the old tv cameras without a problem.

I can still remember Robbo twisting and turning and looping the ball into the net, it was mental. :)

Hearts Heritage

It also marked Alan Roderick Rough placing his first of 17 derbies without a win. Yes not a sausage.

Good nostalgia this thread. The game was the debut match for my two boys, then aged 7 and 5. We were in the school end enclosure and they were playing on some wooden boarding when they noticed their old man going berserk after Robbo's curler - we were right behind the line of flight on that one. They turned out to be quick learners - all three of us were celebrating synchronised when Bone provided his perfect finish.

LeylandJambo

I will never forget it was my 18th birthday What a day best of my life if you discount kids and marriage an a that

Father Tiresias

I remember it well, I wasn't there!! :mellow:

My mate's wife decided that would be the day they were getting married and I was the best man. :frustrated:

We had some photographs taken in our top hat and tails by a Daily Record photographer during the week and made the back page that Saturday morning!!

The Mighty Thor
It also marked Alan Roderick Rough placing his first of 17 derbies without a win. Yes not a sausage.

Was it not a pound of mince the 'erse'twhile bubble permed loser was partial to light-fingering? Never mind he was certainly exposed to plenty of mince at the san giro.

I was only 15 at the time and this was my first derby without my uncle taking me. I can't remember huge amounts about the game apart from starting near the top of crazy-corner and then ending up down the bottom under about 20 folk when Robbo scored that goal. I wasn't so daft at Jimmy Bone's winner.

It's up there with the Derek O'connor game at Fester Road as my favourite derby for atmosphere.

STITCH@PIVOT
Most memorable derby day ever, started with good bevy with the pivot boys rose street followed by a good ruck with hibbys.

then a good win at tynie, a fixed odds coupon win another ruck with hibbys outside supermarket dalry a visit to police station haymarket then train home to kirkcaldy & more bevy priceless!!

Thank **** someone else was enjoying the real derby day experience with me. I was beginning to think I had dreamt the the whole day. I dont think we'd played Hibs for a couple of season due to releagation so it was the first derby for ages (and wasn't televised!!!)

We (the PIVOT) started off in Scotts (Rose St. ) before going into Elders (I think) to "meet" ;)(read paggir) the Hibby's. I got about 3 feet (1 metre to you youngsters) into the pub when I got smashed in the face with one of those wee bar stools (and I dont mean a wee Hibby ****e..... come to think of it !!! ) :hobofish:anyway, I was up at A&E getting stitches before a ball was kicked and missed the start of the game.) Elders got wrecked, Pivot won, Hearts won, the good times were back on and off the pitch and the whole domination of this fixture has continued ever since.

Believe me, when you grew up in Jocks Lodge in the 70's it wasn't easy being a Hearts fan. This to me, was the game, the turning point against Hibs, that Hearts returned to being the Edinburgh's No. 1 team.

Ah memories.

Great day - sun shining, there was a wee squarehole to the right of the shed and the sun was beaming through it.

I went to the game with no expectation whatsoever. At this point we didn't know that the yo yoing had stopped and we were a much better team than the vermin to beat them at this point, so the win was unexpected and celebrated long and hard afterwards.

Even better, I could get served in town by this stage so the JT's dominance over the Hobo's coincided with my early drinking career. outstanding!

Cappuccino Kid

Was meant to be working a late shift that day but managed to start at 6 instead of 3. Fantastic match, still got the pink match report. Got to work at 6 smelling of drink and fortunately the older guys i worked with kept me away from our boss.

Still gutted at missing out on the post match celebrations. First deby after legally being able to drink as well. Mind Hibees i grew up with could not celebrate with a pint until they were 23.

Stitch, from my memory banks I was there with Dougie Black and encountered Stevie Curran who told us you had been in a right stramash but came out on top - we were glad to see you in one piece - from there we went up the Junction for lashings of pints of Lorimer's lager (remember that stuff with the floaters in it?).

Then down to the Doric for some funky dancing:cool:

A fantastic game with a fantastic result:107years:

stevieC@pivot
Stitch, from my memory banks I was there with Dougie Black and encountered Stevie Curran who told us you had been in a right stramash but came out on top - we were glad to see you in one piece - from there we went up the Junction for lashings of pints of Lorimer's lager (remember that stuff with the floaters in it?).

Then down to the Doric for some funky dancing:cool:

A fantastic game with a fantastic result:107years:

Lorimers,what a beer!!No good without floaters!!

Shorty only got the bar stool on his napper cos i pushed him in first !!Ps, we started off in Olivers and went past Elders(which became scotts later after the refurb it needed after we were done in there!!)There was only 4 pivot boys ( 5 to start with!! ha ha!) in that boozer that day against a whole pub of hibbies,boy was it sore,but hey ho we came out on top!!Then it got really nasty at the Haymarket and Dalry!Got run over by a car too!!Still Stitch still made KO after some smart piece of sutchering buy the A & E staff.Lucky it was not at 3 am !! The 4 that made it in and out know who they are,eh lads?

The 5th has made his point!!Lucky big Paul B pulled him out!

stevieC@pivot

You cannot buy a day like that !!:)

Fantastic day. 18 years old, and only seen 1 victory against that shower. (Dennis Mcquade, Derek O'conner at Easter Road 2.1) The belief that Doddie put in the Hearts team was incredible. Robbo's goal one of the finest he's scored (his words). Big Jimmy Bone's bullit header to win the match, and rammin it up the Hibby's after the match.

Today there is no goalscorer like Robbo, no Jardine or Alex Macdonald my favourite ever Hearts boss, but one thing never changes, the feeling of beating that mob.

:107years:

Think I might be the guy with the silly "Rubettes" hat on in the crowd pic. Looks like it was taken from next to the old Pie stand at the school end where we always used to stand (Chizzy, you'll remember ?). Think I know the two guys at the bottom left hand corner as well, Dave White and Iain Mackenzie.

Dont remember to much of the specifics of the game, other than Robbo rapping in two goals and knowing we had a true star in the making.

Glamorgan Jambo

Just seen this thread for the first time.

My all time favourite derby and one of my favourite Hearts games ever. Up until then I'd seen mostly Hibs wins and the odd draw in the derby (my first derby was the Pat Stanton extra day offside equaliser match). It was a great win, hearts were definitely back, a legend was born, and the oh so confident Hibees had it rammed right up them as they say.

PS Thanks also to London Hearts for answering another question that nagged me for a while today. Having just turned my Evening News Hearts legends calendar to September there's a photo of Willie Gibson scoring a pen at ER in March 1979. You can only see the back of our number 4, but it gave me the shivers, and a quick check on the LH website confirms that it is in fact the much hated (and frequently booed) John Craig.

Can you believe it will be 25 years on September 3rd since one 'John Grant Robertson', at the age of 18yrs 11 months and 1 day, started his record breaking exploits versus Hibernian? That game is one of my 3 favourite Derbies (ones I was actually at) along with the 4-1 from 1973 and THAT game on 2nd April 2006.

1983090301%20Hibernian%203-2%20Tynecastle.jpg

Little did we know what impact he would have on the history of the fixture. Eclipsing the goal scoring records of

Bobby Walker

Jimmy Wardhaugh

Tommy Walker

Willie Bauld

Alfie Conn Snr

Here's some pictures from the game

1983090306.jpg

1983090310.jpg

More Here

We're going to be putting together a 'font-page' feature on that game. So if you were at the game can you add your reminiscences here and I'll collate them onto the page we are creating.

Thats my dad bottom corner wi the blue jacket on!! Ill ask him what he remembers, probably not very much. :)

Bomber Harris
Unfortunately I was stuck in the Hibs end,it was a bit taught

I have The Scotsman photo from the Monday after the match of the aftermath of Robbos goal taken from the Gorgie Road end.

You can actually recognise some faces

Time for you to get the scanner out and scan that photo and share it with the folks:cool::cool::cool:

Anyone care to agree and presure him into doing it ?:P

It wasn't my first derby but it sticks in the mind because in almost all the derbies I can remember beforehand we either lost or we're robbed of a win by some dodgy referee.

Certainly marked a change in fortunes. If someone had told me at before the game how much we would dominate Hibs in games after this one I would have never believed them.

Bomber Harris
Was it not due to a strike by cameramen. There is no early season footage from that season?

I'm not certain though.

Definitly no camera strike, the big hoo haa was that the Glasgow "Old Firm" game (:eek:) and the Dundee Derby were covered that weekend.

I've got highlights from the St.Mirren game 0-1, that game was at the end of September, TV missed out on the Hibs (3-2) AND the Rangers (3-1) games at Tynecastle.

Although there was a healthy rumour that Hearts had a cameraman up in the gantry that day and was filming the game for Macdonald and Jardine for training purposes, whether that is true or not, who knows?

(Berwick Rangers v Rangers 1967 springs to mind, it may well be gathering dust somewhere:eek:)

It was a classic right enough. That Hearts team had real charachter and it was the start of a golden time for us. I remember vividly the goals Hearts scored. I was watching from the old enclosure that day.

How badly do we need a Robbo to emerge from somewhere? Could Gary Glen be the man?

bigis semiauskas

Its a scoreline that sticks out for me as it was probably the first win i had been at over hibs,struggling to remember much other than Jimmy Bones header, it gets further and further away every time i remember it,

must have been at least 40yards!

kennygarland1
Its a scoreline that sticks out for me as it was probably the first win i had been at over hibs,struggling to remember much other than Jimmy Bones header, it gets further and further away every time i remember it,

must have been at least 40yards!

Same here,the match is a blur as i got ****ed in the ferranti club before the game,and after.I still have the cuttings from the papers the following day.

Bomber Harris

To put a right dampner on things that was Hearts' first victory at Tynecastle over Hibs for 10 years:eek:

Hearts' third victory over Hibs in 10 years :eek:

and Hearts' 4th victory since 1968 :eek: (3-1 1968, 4-1 1973, 1-2 1979):eek:

kennygarland1
To put a right dampner on things that was Hearts' first victory at Tynecastle over Hibs for 10 years:eek:

Hearts' third victory over Hibs in 10 years :eek:

and Hearts' 4th victory since 1968 :eek: (3-1 1968, 4-1 1973, 1-2 1979):eek:

Mainly because we hardly played them due to both being relegated and a few 0-0 draws.

Bomber Harris

Agreed from 1968 to 1975 we played them twice a season bar two cup games (1970?)

Hearts relegated three times staying down and Hibs being relegated once but the Hibees won't take that into account will they?

Stiil the figures don't read too well:(

lost in leith

Had a resit at Uni on the Monday so for the first (and last:) time didn't have a beer before the game, got a seat in the Main Stand and went home straight after the game. Had a great view of the celebrations in the shed but was jealous I wasn't in there bouncing around!

Ironically I failed the resit :o

Hearts Heritage
Agreed from 1968 to 1975 we played them twice a season bar two cup games (1970?)

Hearts relegated three times staying down and Hibs being relegated once but the Hibees won't take that into account will they?

Stiil the figures don't read too well:(

From 1965 to 1983 Hearts won only 5 out of 35, Hibs winning 18. That is why that game was so so sweet.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/misc/eras.htm#era6

I was due for a band rehersal that afternoon. 3 jambos and 2 couldn't care. Rehersal cancelled at 2:15. Band split. Cost me my embryonic rock career. Worth all of the millions I would have made.

Archived