New Scotland No1?

Fozzyonthefence

Fozzyonthefence

After Kung Fu McGregor's (admittedly) great penalty save and the certain Weegia press & Hun fans clamour for him to be the new no1 will Burley fold to public pressure?

Would be a disgrace to drop someone who has been easily Scotland's best player for probably around 3 years now for someone who has had 1 good season in their entire career and is nothing more than a good shot stopper, but who knows?

Just wondering if Burley being an ex Hearts boss will make him maybe too fair on non Jambos players to avoid accusations of favourtism (like Barr getting a game before Berra tonight or Commons & Morrison before Stewart)?

Jam Tarts 1874
After Kung Fu McGregor's (admittedly) great penalty save and the certain Weegia press & Hun fans clamour for him to be the new no1 will Burley fold to public pressure?

Would be a disgrace to drop someone who has been easily Scotland's best player for probably around 3 years now for someone who has had 1 good season in their entire career and is nothing more than a good shot stopper, but who knows?

Just wondering if Burley being an ex Hearts boss will make him maybe too fair on non Jambos players to avoid accusations of favourtism (like Barr getting a game before Berra tonight or Commons & Morrison before Stewart)?

There is a very definite "mafia" campaign to get McGregor in despite his errors.

I listened tonight to Radio Scotland post-match. Chick Dung could not help himself during every interview, he just had to promote McGregor at every opportunity, it was so obvious what he was doing. As far as I'm concerned Gordon no longer plays for Hearts so I don't care from that point of view. I also don't see much of Sunderland, so I have no idea if Gordon is still doing the business. But what I do know is that unless Gordon has had a sudden loss of form, he is a better keeper than McGregor and as a Scotsman, I want Scotland to have the best keeper available and not the one the apron lifters want in.

Why is he even getting the praise? His tackle on Healy was ridiculous, he only atoned for this by saving the penalty. But it's hardly something to be proud of, giving away a stupid foul. Some referees could have sent him off as well for that!

Dr Ian Malcolm

Burley, and more importantly Jim Stewart know the score. They've both worked closely with Gordon, they'll know he's the best scottish goalkeeper we've produced since Goram. If McGregor was being lined up as the new number one for the WC qulaifiers, he wouldn't be playing in miackey mouse games.

Gordon is, and will remain, number one, by a distance.

Charlie-Brown
There is a very definite "mafia" campaign to get McGregor in despite his errors.

I listened tonight to Radio Scotland post-match. Chick Dung could not help himself during every interview, he just had to promote McGregor at every opportunity, it was so obvious what he was doing. As far as I'm concerned Gordon no longer plays for Hearts so I don't care from that point of view. I also don't see much of Sunderland, so I have no idea if Gordon is still doing the business. But what I do know is that unless Gordon has had a sudden loss of form, he is a better keeper than McGregor and as a Scotsman, I want Scotland to have the best keeper available and not the one the apron lifters want in.

Correct - the pro McGregor lobby is putting Rangers best interests ahead of Scotlands best interests.

Darth Sidious
Correct - the pro McGregor lobby is putting Rangers best interests ahead of Scotlands best interests.

Would be new would it?

Gordon has improved since he left hearts. Playing premiership week in week out has to be the best preparition for playing internationally. Gordon is miles better than McGregor. I really want McGregor to end up in the premiership soon, once the refs put an end to his dirty tactics he would get shown up for the very average keeper he is.

I think it was right for Burley to give both goalies half a game last night. Was only McGregor's 2nd cap I think, so fair enough to give him some experience.

However, if Burley gives the No 1 shirt to anyone but Craig Gordon then he's been on the Budweisers again :eek:

Seymour M Hersh
Burley, and more importantly Jim Stewart know the score. They've both worked closely with Gordon, they'll know he's the best scottish goalkeeper we've produced since Goram. If McGregor was being lined up as the new number one for the WC qulaifiers, he wouldn't be playing in miackey mouse games.

But what if there is pressure on them from above to play McGregor?

But what if there is pressure on them from above to play McGregor?

Come on, since Tommy Burns put the pressure on Berti to pick Marshall, who has been the undisputed No 1?

Who is going to tell GB who to pick? Even VR didn't manage that!

Seymour M Hersh
Come on, since Tommy Burns put the pressure on Berti to pick Marshall, who has been the undisputed No 1?

Who is going to tell GB who to pick? Even VR didn't manage that!

Take the serious hat off Coco, it was tongue in cheek!

Thunderstruck

Ironically, it will be a test of Burley as his own man. Will he pick the best player for the position and balance of the team or will he pander to the weegia. Will he continue to ignore players from "provincial" teams only to see them rapidly promoted when they sign for OF.

Seymour M Hersh
:P

However on a more serious note, he will be under intense pressure from the weejia to play the hun and it will be interesting to see how he copes with that. I suggest to you that if CG makes a mistake he'll be punted straight away in favour of Bruce Lee.

It makes me mad as hell that anyone could even think that McGregor is close to Gordon! Reminds me of the whole Marshall "had a good game v Barcelona so must be scotlands best keeper" thing - where's he now?

Gordon is still a cut above every other keeper in Scotland by a long way! :mad:

Why is he even getting the praise? His tackle on Healy was ridiculous, he only atoned for this by saving the penalty. But it's hardly something to be proud of, giving away a stupid foul. Some referees could have sent him off as well for that!

My thoughts exactly - no denying it was a top class save - but it was a save that he needed to make to make up for his own ****** up.

Shocking tackle to make and lucky to stay on the park IMO.

I am now seriously beginning to wonder if this man is on some sort of financial incentive to broadcast some of the pro-Rangers drivel that he does.

The man is a disgrace to good honest sport journalists - mind you that statement would apply to some 95% who write in the sports pages here.

End of story.

End of story.

Jim Stewart was in Sunday's NOTW though saying he could not choose between the two of them and remember who employs him fulltime.

Gordon won't be dropped in the near future. Burley said as much when he took over, and nothing has happened to change that.

Gordon had nothing to do last night in the first half. Mcgregor made a meal of the penalty (and would have been sent off in a competitive game probably). Granted, he did very well to save the penalty, so that basically cancelled out the mare. Therefore, his half was pretty much neither good nor bad either.

In fact there are quotes now here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7571190.stm

Just pretty much what he said when he came in.

"There is a close call because you are talking about two top-class international goalkeepers," he said.

"I've said from day one we are fortunate to have that because they are both outstanding.

"Craig Gordon has been terrific for Scotland so we are in a very healthy position. It's healthy competition.

"At the moment, Craig is the number one but Allan has come in and done exceptionally well."

Burley will continue with Gordon as #1. He also needs to give McGregor a chance in case of injury to Gordon. Gordon is playing in a far superior league against world class strikers every week. That yields an experience that AM can only dream of.

The OF apologists are singing the praises of the penalty save without mentioning that it was a world class blunder that gave it away. This will not be lost on GB.

However, let's not overlook the fact that AM is a very, very good 'keeper.

Not a chance Gordon will be dropped for the double header next month. He is clearly the No1 just now and will remain so unless he has any clangers.

alwaysthereinspirit
Not a chance Gordon will be dropped for the double header next month. He is clearly the No1 just now and will remain so unless he has any clangers.

Do clangers in Premier league games count? That's what these west coast numb nuts are waiting for. One mistake to highlight his weakness. They'll be all over it.

Scotland has never played their strongest team, always the hand picked west coast media team.

Do clangers in Premier league games count? That's what these west coast numb nuts are waiting for. One mistake to highlight his weakness. They'll be all over it.

Scotland has never played their strongest team, always the hand picked west coast media team.

I'd like to think Georgie boy has a bit more about him than that. I'd bet plenty cash Gordon will start BOTH qualifiers coming up (barring injury).

My concern is, that from a casual observer of football games, over the last season it would appear to be McGregor that has pulled off the more and better saves.

Thankfully Gordon is already rooted in the number 1 position because had they both arrived at the same time I have no doubt McGregor would be in.

That said, Gordon is IMO, under pressure not to make a mistake in an international as there would be some campaign for an immediate dropping if that happened

He has to be practically faultless moving forward

Which, to be honest, is a good thing.

Its good to have competition for places

alwaysthereinspirit
I'd like to think Georgie boy has a bit more about him than that. I'd bet plenty cash Gordon will start BOTH qualifiers coming up (barring injury).

I hope you're right and I'm talking through my @$$.

I don't see this happening. Gordon is far ahead of AM and I don't see that changing.

MacGregor gave the penalty away in the fist place so the least he could have done was save it.

Jim Stewart in the NotW on Sunday said that Craig had the experience of playing in the EPL and that McGregor had the Champions leauge experience. Given now that Der Huns have been pumped out of Europe what will McGregor gain this season, the square root of hee haw ..... whilst Craig will continue to play against some of the best players in the world.

George knows this, Jim knows this, christ even McGregor knows it. The only people who don't are the clowns with the microphones.

Only time will tell whether or not the media pressure to put McGregor in goal succeeds or not.

A couple of things are for sure

1) Gordon is a miles better keeper than McGregor and

2) McGregor doesn't have the discipline to be a top keeper either. Far to prone to come off his line for

a) No man's land crosses (get 3, drop 1)

B) When the ball is played over the top of the Rangers defence (sent off against Hibs in the Cup last year)

c) Get involved in disputes not concerning him - e.g Kingston at the weekend.

While at der hun, this is discipline he will never obtain.

Bert Le Clos
I am now seriously beginning to wonder if this man is on some sort of financial incentive to broadcast some of the pro-Rangers drivel that he does.QUOTE]

You mean it's taken you this long to realise?!

That tosser might be a good shot-stopper, as shown by his penalty save last night. However, he should have received a straight red for the penalty offence as he clearly prevented a goal-scoring opp. This sequence kind of sums up the Hun handler.

jambo in iraq

did nobody watch the Kaunas v Rangers game? his total lack of confidence was there for all to see. Indeed the commentator stated at one point that he was having a bit of a nightmare. Kaunas noticed he was naff under crosses and began to bombard him. Now if Kaunas could work that out in 45 minutes, how long will it take world class wingers like Van der Vaart, Arjan Robben and Wesley Snijder in the Holland match.

Gordon has but one weekness his kicking and I can't remember that ever costing Hearts or Scotland a game.

Chris Benoit
did nobody watch the Kaunas v Rangers game? his total lack of confidence was there for all to see. Indeed the commentator stated at one point that he was having a bit of a nightmare. Kaunas noticed he was naff under crosses and began to bombard him. Now if Kaunas could work that out in 45 minutes, how long will it take world class wingers like Van der Vaart, Arjan Robben and Wesley Snijder in the Holland match.

Gordon has but one weekness his kicking and I can't remember that ever costing Hearts or Scotland a game.

I agree with everything you said but one thing and that's about Gordons kicking which has improved alot since he went down south, still not brilliant but better!

What's all this nonsense about the penalty save. If it had been a good penalty he wouldn't have saved it! It was slow and saveable in spite of what the media collectively stated.

This has been building since the start of LAST season.

The weegie media are putting all kinds of pressure on the Scotland managment to put McGregor in the No.1 shirt.

Craig Gordon is by far the better player and the red tops up here don't like it if the entire Scottish national team is not made up of Old Firm players.

Thunderstruck

IIRC, one of the commentators suggested McGregor was having trouble due to swirling wind when a close-up showed midges (or Kaunas equivalent) hovering around his head.

Jim Stewart in the NotW on Sunday said that Craig had the experience of playing in the EPL and that McGregor had the Champions leauge experience. Given now that Der Huns have been pumped out of Europe what will McGregor gain this season, the square root of hee haw ..... whilst Craig will continue to play against some of the best players in the world.

George knows this, Jim knows this, christ even McGregor knows it. The only people who don't are the clowns with the microphones.

...and which league had 3 out of 4 of the top finishing teams in last season's CL? Mcgregor played more in the Uefa Cup than the CL last year...

Stupid Sexy Flanders
My thoughts exactly - no denying it was a top class save - but it was a save that he needed to make to make up for his own ****** up.

Shocking tackle to make and lucky to stay on the park IMO.

Yep.

In my opinion, it's like an outfield player scoring an O.G. then going up the other end and scoring in the right end. No-one would call that guy a hero, they'd simply say he'd attoned for his error.

Archived