Ignoring the obvious - The Gunners in Muirhouse

BlackJAC?

willie wallace
Drylaw Hearts - I used to work in the Doo'cot circa 1969/70. Did you drink there then or are you too young?

Just missed you by a year or two.It was a great pub back then and you could always go straight from the bar to your own top cabaret spot,the famous Bird Cage.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Few down my way, I'll drink in just about any bar after a few, but the following dives I wouldn't go near.

The Loch Inn on Lochend Road, apart from being a raving Hobo Bar looks rough as a dogs arse.

The Marksman, just cos I see people pished outside at half eight in the morning on the way to work.

Tamson's Bar on Easter Road, scary punters

The Old Salt on Leith Walk used to be a rough bar now it looks like a rough gay bar called Priscilla's

Bonnie Prince Charlie

I used to stay at Abbeyhill 10 years ago and the Station Bar was the biggest sh*t hole I've ever been in.

The Wicker Man

The Clan Tavern on Albert Street used to be a bit Yee Ha some nights.

Quite a few of the Leith bars reminded me of the bar in 'Star Wars'.... with clientele to match.

this_is_my_story
Is that not the place where the guy who owns it sends you an invite to drink in the place and everybody has their own seat?

As for dives the Stand in musselburgh which has recently just closed had to be up there. The barstaff had their hoodies up and everybody who drank in it had a skinheed.

Come to think of it there's not really a good boozer in musselburgh anymore. I drink in the Ship and that can be like Michael Jacksons Thriller video on a saturday night:runaway:

More or less, aye!

My original post re The Canny Mann's, in a thread about rough pubs, was of course tongue in cheek.:)

Really though, that place shouldn't be classified as a 'public house', and is frequented by nothing but a bunch of scrotums. I still remember my first foray into said establishment, dressed respectably in my tin flute for work, only to be told by the barman when I asked for a pint of lager "Sorry, but we only serve regulars in here." WTF?!! "So how do I go about becoming a regular if I can't get a pint in the first place?" Barman - "Erm.. yes, I see your point, which lager would you like?" At that point, had to tell him to stick his lager where the sun don't shine, of course. :P

I drink in the Ship and that can be like Michael Jacksons Thriller video on a saturday night:runaway:

Only when your in mate :)

Seriously though some of the folk in there on a Saturday night would get thrown off Jeremy Kyle for being too chavvy.

Angry Haggis
I used to stay at Abbeyhill 10 years ago and the Station Bar was the biggest sh*t hole I've ever been in.

Pass that joint every day on my way to/from work. I doubt it has changed much in the last 10 years either - never been in.

I have a wry smile to myself when the bus stops out side and you get a view into 'The Safari Lounge'. Old school baby...old school..... :rolleyes:

Pass that joint every day on my way to/from work. I doubt it has changed much in the last 10 years either - never been in.

I have a wry smile to myself when the bus stops out side and you get a view into 'The Safari Lounge'. Old school baby...old school..... :rolleyes:

Oldest cocktail bar in Edinburgh , allegedly :rolleyes:

I went in there occasionally when I lived in Abbeyhill many years ago.

It was open on Xmas day for all day drinking and punters were OK but still living in the 50s.

A friend of mine used to work for the fiscal and she always said that they got the most cases from incidents in Diane's Pool Hall.

well thats pish!

i've worked there for years, and can count on the 1 hand the amount of times there has been trouble of any note.

not only is your mate lying, but i doubt very much its a good idea for anyone who worked for the fiscal to be talking out of school. i think they'd take a very dim view of it.

when it was fast eddies, it WAS like vietnam, but diane has worked her arse off to get rid of that name. the only ones who bad mouth it as a bar full of trouble are those who have never drank in there.

if it was fight after fight, or indeed even constant niggling, i wouldn't have stayed as long as i have.

it has the odd scuffle like any pub does, but it really rips my knitting to hear people bad mouth the place when they clearly have no idea

Commander Harris
well thats pish!

i've worked there for years, and can count on the 1 hand the amount of times there has been trouble of any note.

not only is your mate lying, but i doubt very much its a good idea for anyone who worked for the fiscal to be talking out of school. i think they'd take a very dim view of it.

when it was fast eddies, it WAS like vietnam, but diane has worked her arse off to get rid of that name. the only ones who bad mouth it as a bar full of trouble are those who have never drank in there.

if it was fight after fight, or indeed even constant niggling, i wouldn't have stayed as long as i have.

it has the odd scuffle like any pub does, but it really rips my knitting to hear people bad mouth the place when they clearly have no idea

just saying what she said.(this was a couple of years ago, she'd have no reason to lie either, she wasn't from the UK and she didn't have any preconcieved ideas about places) she's moved on now although I imagine all that info is publicly available if someone wanted to look into it so it probably wouldn't be an issue.

I've got nothing against the place, used to go in there fairly regularly, did see some trouble on a few occassions but nothing too bad. Still haven't been in on a Friday for the kariaoke though, I should check it out. (as long as you don't beat me up for that post!)

CH you're top of my list for beating up, since i'm clearly the biggest numpty around lol.

it wasn't really a pop at you, just it really gets up my nose. the place has its share of jakeballs, granted, but every "working mans" pub where you get workies, ladies of the night, pool sharks and all human life congregating, you'll find that.

it annoys me though, when there are so many crap pubs, that people still have this idea of the pool hall as some den of filth, s.cum & trouble when it isn't nearly as bad as people make out.

oh, and i've seen you there first thing on a sunday morning ya jakey arse*

*morning of the killie game before we all headed through if memory serves

Commander Harris
CH you're top of my list for beating up, since i'm clearly the biggest numpty around lol.

it wasn't really a pop at you, just it really gets up my nose. the place has its share of jakeballs, granted, but every "working mans" pub where you get workies, ladies of the night, pool sharks and all human life congregating, you'll find that.

it annoys me though, when there are so many crap pubs, that people still have this idea of the pool hall as some den of filth, s.cum & trouble when it isn't nearly as bad as people make out.

oh, and i've seen you there first thing on a sunday morning ya jakey arse*

*morning of the killie game before we all headed through if memory serves

yeah, I realise it must be annoying when a place cleans up it's act and it takes ages for the old reputation to go.

I'm not sure who you think I am, or if you're just having a laugh, but it wouldn't be me there on a sunday morning, killie game or not. :confused:

Commander Harris

just re-read that and have seen that it could sound a bit arsey, that's certainly not my intention! twas solely out of confusion rather than anything else as I've not been there on a sunday. :o

anyway, I'll pay the place a visit and hopefully get a duet going! :biggrin:

Isn't as bad as people like to make out, I've been drinking in there on and off for 14 years.

Irony alert. :P

jack D and coke
Only when your in mate :)

Seriously though some of the folk in there on a Saturday night would get thrown off Jeremy Kyle for being too chavvy.

Some of the new barmaids look like they're perfect Jeremy Kyle material never mind the punters:eek:

Best one ever was the guy who was singing on the karaoke in the lounge and swung a punch at a guy then just carried on singing! Classic man ha ha!

heartgarfunkel
Oldest cocktail bar in Edinburgh , allegedly :rolleyes:

I went in there occasionally when I lived in Abbeyhill many years ago.

It was open on Xmas day for all day drinking and punters were OK but still living in the 50s.

Me and a few mates are obsessed with the Safari Lounge having passed the neon sign for decades on buses up the toun. Never been in, which adds to its 50s/60s mystery. Have been asked to leave on occasion for repeatedly asking the bar staff to open it. WTF's in there? Lions, elephants and giraffes? Dead jakeys and their ladies from years gone by wearing pith helmets? Tarzan? ****ing Cheetah?:mad:

heartgarfunkel

Come to think of it there's not really a good boozer in musselburgh anymore. I drink in the Ship and that can be like Michael Jacksons Thriller video on a saturday night:runaway:

Will never forget the night a Jambo mate sang 'Perfect Day' on the karaoke in the big bit at the back. Not particularly memorable, save for the fact it was late in the evening of the weeteam's pumping in the final of the League Cup by Livingston. It had been booked for a cup celebration by hundreds of Hibbys who were mourning into their methadone and white lightening's. We'd gone through for a sly laugh at them, but he took it too far.

Lucky to get out alive:107years:

jack D and coke
Will never forget the night a Jambo mate sang 'Perfect Day' on the karaoke in the big bit at the back. Not particularly memorable, save for the fact it was late in the evening of the weeteam's pumping in the final of the League Cup by Livingston. It had been booked for a cup celebration by hundreds of Hibbys who were mourning into their methadone and white lightening's. We'd gone through for a sly laugh at them, but he took it too far.

Lucky to get out alive:107years:

I was definately in the ship that day cos me and another jambo mate were giving it big licks in the bar watching it and as a lot of my mates are hobo's we waited to 'welcome' them back. It's ringing a bell with me big time. Brilliant:food-smiley-004:

Toxteth O'Grady

Is The Gauntlet still there?

I don't think they like "outsiders" in there.

In Town Andersons in Lothian Road always looks a bit ropey

Is The Gauntlet still there?

I don't think they like "outsiders" in there.

In Town Andersons in Lothian Road always looks a bit ropey

Yip the Gauntlet is still there.

Been in that Andersons once.... never again:eek:

Archived