Ignoring the obvious - The Gunners in Muirhouse

BlackJAC?

Is there a worse pub in or around Edinburgh than The Railway Tavern in Prestonpans? Not been in a while, so things may have changed, but I can say hand on heart, no pub has come close to its sheer awfulness. Forget your BYOB establishments, I wouldn't have looked out of place had I brought my own shotgun and sawdust.

Maroon Mayhem

Billys Bar in Livingston would run it very very close. If it's not the dodgiest it's certainly the grottiest!

Stratties.

The Marmion.

One down the bottom of leith walk, on the right as you look down. Dunno what its called but its an absolutely dive. Think its dark green on the outside and you cant see in.

I quite like really dreadful awful proper old mans boozers just for a laugh occasionally.

One down the bottom of leith walk, on the right as you look down. Dunno what its called but its an absolutely dive. Think its dark green on the outside and you cant see in.

Foot of the Walk? It's actually not that bad. Just full of old folk getting pished at 11am.

Era Macaroons
Stratties.

The Marmion.

I quite like really dreadful awful proper old mans boozers just for a laugh occasionally.

If its on the very bottom corner of Leith walk your talking about the Central Bar, which inside is actually one of the nicest bars for miles, all old fashioned tiles, ye olde bar, seating booths etc....however clientele ....ahem.

Is there a worse pub in or around Edinburgh than The Railway Tavern in Prestonpans? Not been in a while, so things may have changed, but I can say hand on heart, no pub has come close to its sheer awfulness. Forget your BYOB establishments, I wouldn't have looked out of place had I brought my own shotgun and sawdust.

Brilliant im fi the Pans and have to agree the place is a ****hole and to think a few years back folk loved it(never been a fan of it myself)but now it is like a wild west saloon totally over run by drugs with none of it's clients who were it's life blood drinking in it anymore.Never beat the Goth in it's time for ruffness though East Lothians most infamous pub but hey thats all cleaned up now but the drinks too dear so no one drinks there either.

Another complete dive of a pub but surprisingly friendly people who run it is The First And Last in Portobello.Only ever been in it in the morning until afternoon times though.

If its on the very bottom corner of Leith walk your talking about the Central Bar, which inside is actually one of the nicest bars for miles, all old fashioned tiles, ye olde bar, seating booths etc....however clientele ....ahem.

Central! Thats the place. Aye, it could be very nice with a wee spruce up. The clientele is the problem though. Theyd let Ian huntley in if he was gonna buy a pint. Therefore, its a ****in dive cos of the punters.

Nucky Thompson

Omans in Niddrie, just over the bridge from the traveling peoples camp:rolleyes:

Foot of the Walk? It's actually not that bad. Just full of old folk getting pished at 11am.

Foot of the walks ok. Cheap bevvy is about all id say it had going. At lunch time its like an old folks home. Dont really like that chain of pubs for drinking in though.

Central! Thats the place. Aye, it could be very nice with a wee spruce up. The clientele is the problem though. Theyd let Ian huntley in if he was gonna buy a pint. Therefore, its a ****in dive cos of the punters.

Yet Leith has one of the best pubs around - The Volly. A few lunch hours have been spent there. Cheap pints, no neds allowed and I've never once seen any trouble, even when I've went for an after work pint. I'm sure it has the same owner as Jock's Lodge which is another decent pub.

Omans in Niddrie, just over the bridge from the traveling peoples camp:rolleyes:

is the White Hoose still open? Now that was a dive.

alwaysthereinspirit

The White Hoose was my old mans local and was mainly for the local older clientel.

The Tavern was the place to be seen. ;)

Nucky Thompson
I passed it the other day going to Kinnaird Park and it looks well and truly condemned to rubble.

The Marmion.

Isn't as bad as people like to make out, I've been drinking in there on and off for 14 years. Jesus, 2 folk get shot and everyone thinks it's the wild west.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Isn't as bad as people like to make out, I've been drinking in there on and off for 14 years. Jesus, 2 folk get shot and everyone thinks it's the wild west.

Been in there a few times whilst playing pool for Crofters, and have to say I didn't think it was rough/dodgy at all.

Maybe, the jakes don't come out to play on a Thursday though ;)

Brilliant im fi the Pans and have to agree the place is a ****hole and to think a few years back folk loved it(never been a fan of it myself)but now it is like a wild west saloon totally over run by drugs with none of it's clients who were it's life blood drinking in it anymore.Never beat the Goth in it's time for ruffness though East Lothians most infamous pub but hey thats all cleaned up now but the drinks too dear so no one drinks there either.

Sorry but the Goth ,Railway and the Dasher are not even close to the X-Keys in Tranent (Lunatic Asylum)

Been in there a few times whilst playing pool for Crofters, and have to say I didn't think it was rough/dodgy at all.

Maybe, the jakes don't come out to play on a Thursday though ;)

Statistically, according to the EEN, Crofters is the roughest pub in Edinburgh.

I wonder what it's like now.

Era Macaroons

they 'gained' a lot of punters when MINTO's (just 30 metres along Duke St) closed...now that WAS a dive.

they 'gained' a lot of punters when MINTO's (just 30 metres along Duke St) closed...now that WAS a dive.

A dive that existed under many names, it always seemed to hut for a while and then reopen under new ownership. Well dofgy characters in there.

The Willie Muir was always a quaint little tavern if you wanted a quiet pint.

The Mighty Thor
A dive that existed under many names, it always seemed to hut for a while and then reopen under new ownership. Well dofgy characters in there.

I lived down that way when i was a laddie and had a few intersesting nights in the Willie Muir (it even had a function suite upstairs). The Anchor Inn and the Granton Tap further down West Granton Road were both choice boozers as well.

Of the three, the Anchor's the only one still going and it looks like it hasn't seen a lick of paint in the twenty years i've been away from there.

Era Macaroons

The most recent attempt was going to be a wine bar...until they sent a team in to see what was required to do it up.....'REBUILT' was the answer!!

heartsfc_fan
goodies in oxgangs. :eek:

Bah hahaa!! :eek: I drive past that sometimes...DIVE!!

When the Willie Muir was opened the said it had a camel park not a car park because of all the 'arabs' that frequented it usually after they had been barred from the Doo'cot, the Ferryboat and the Gunner.

The Fa`side!! Even the punters call it "the dive"!!

Owned of course,along with The Johnnie Cope in the Pans,by Mr. Paul Kane!

Drylaw Hearts
When the Willie Muir was opened the said it had a camel park not a car park because of all the 'arabs' that frequented it usually after they had been barred from the Doo'cot, the Ferryboat and the Gunner.

Ahhh, the memories.

None of you have ever been in the Goth at Arniston then, obviously.....:rolleyes:

Been in there once (if it's the one across from the Scotmid) and i thought the people were ok, well, they're ok fir jackeys, but the actual decor and loos were an utter disgrace. The last time I was at the miners club, it wasn't that great either.

Is it Wilkos that's on the high st? If so, that could be a bit rough at the weekends.

Drylaw Hearts - I used to work in the Doo'cot circa 1969/70. Did you drink there then or are you too young?

blondejamtart
Been in there once (if it's the one across from the Scotmid) and i thought the people were ok, well, they're ok fir jackeys, but the actual decor and loos were an utter disgrace. The last time I was at the miners club, it wasn't that great either.

Is it Wilkos that's on the high st? If so, that could be a bit rough at the weekends.

The Goth is the one across from Scotmid and is supposedly undergoing renovation at the moment. The one in the main street is Wilmo's and yes, it is a complete and utter dive too!

None of you have ever been in the Goth at Arniston then, obviously.....:rolleyes:

Not be in for ages but think it's too quiet for much bother these days! But agree that it's a dive and probably still will be once/if it's been renovated!

Wilmo's isn't too bad and far better than the Goth!

Commander Harris
Statistically, according to the EEN, Crofters is the roughest pub in Edinburgh.

I wonder what it's like now.

A friend of mine used to work for the fiscal and she always said that they got the most cases from incidents in Diane's Pool Hall.

A friend of mine used to work for the fiscal and she always said that they got the most cases from incidents in Diane's Pool Hall.

Now that really is a dodgy, dive of a place! Even the pint's are honking !

Not be in for ages but think it's too quiet for much bother these days! But agree that it's a dive and probably still will be once/if it's been renovated!

Wilmo's isn't too bad and far better than the Goth!

Is it a proper Gothenburg?

Great bakers next door - steak pies from Kate's are great!

Sorry but the Goth ,Railway and the Dasher are not even close to the X-Keys in Tranent (Lunatic Asylum)

Ive had some great days and nights in the Cross Keys, in the older days and more recently. Not as bad as some people think!

Yeah it is ! Not sure about the bakers, only venture to the dark side of the village at night :)

With Dianne's Pool Hall being just next to Torphicen St police station its no wonder they provide a lot of customers for the PF. The polis just have to go across the road to arrest someone and then spend 2+ hours off the streets while the individual is 'proecssed'.

this_is_my_story

Used to work in Morningside a few years ago, popped into the Canny Mann's occasionally for a pint - that place is 100% mental, wall to wall with proper hardcases. I once even heard that the first question in the pub quiz there is "What the **** are you staring at?":)

The Wicker Man
Canny Mann's occasionally for a pint - that place is 100% mental

Used to go there early 80s filled when it was filled with old bric-a-brac and pinball machines.

The last time I was there about 10 years ago - pints were extortionate and there was a dress code to keep the riff-raff out.

I lived down that way when i was a laddie and had a few intersesting nights in the Willie Muir (it even had a function suite upstairs). The Anchor Inn and the Granton Tap further down West Granton Road were both choice boozers as well.

Of the three, the Anchor's the only one still going and it looks like it hasn't seen a lick of paint in the twenty years i've been away from there.

Had a few relatives who drank in there : I wouldn't go in if it was the last boozer on earth.

It's up there with the Ferry Boat : an absolute dive full of headcases and mingers. Many , many years ago I went to a wedding 'reception' there.

The groom had a black eye courtesy of his mum for coming home peshed the night before the wedding and I remember a piper who spent the whole night standing on a table exposing himself to all the 'laydeez'. A complete nightmare.

The Carousel on Ferry Rd in Leith - :eek:

Used to work in Morningside a few years ago, popped into the Canny Mann's occasionally for a pint - that place is 100% mental, wall to wall with proper hardcases. I once even heard that the first question in the pub quiz there is "What the **** are you staring at?":)

Is the first prize an alibi for a fortnight ?

jack D and coke

Is that not the place where the guy who owns it sends you an invite to drink in the place and everybody has their own seat?

As for dives the Stand in musselburgh which has recently just closed had to be up there. The barstaff had their hoodies up and everybody who drank in it had a skinheed.

Come to think of it there's not really a good boozer in musselburgh anymore. I drink in the Ship and that can be like Michael Jacksons Thriller video on a saturday night:runaway:

I think The Hole is quite a good pub in Musselburgh and the Ravvy is ok, though, I wouldn't really call the latter a pub per se.

The Mighty Thor
Had a few relatives who drank in there : I wouldn't go in if it was the last boozer on earth.

It's up there with the Ferry Boat : an absolute dive full of headcases and mingers. Many , many years ago I went to a wedding 'reception' there.

The groom had a black eye courtesy of his mum for coming home peshed the night before the wedding and I remember a piper who spent the whole night standing on a table exposing himself to all the 'laydeez'. A complete nightmare.

The Carousel on Ferry Rd in Leith - :eek:

My mum used to be a part time bar maid in the Anchor in the 70's. Some of the stories are quite humourous.

I went to the Carousel once with a mate after fives one night. It was as rough as shaved baws.

Carl Fredrickson

It WAS a Gothenburg BUT the last owner bought the Goth rights out for "X" amount for "X" years - otherwise it would have closed.

The Goth and Wilmos (and to a lesser extent Bruntons) are all struggling due to lack of punters. The Goth and Wilmos problems are due to letting too many idiots in and letting them dictate what kind of pubs they are.

Kates is an amazing bakers and her home made soups are fab

Ah the Willie Muir, once dubbed the most dangerous pub in Britain following 4 murders on the premises in 3 years.

The Doo'cot and the Gunner also record holders in the 70's. The two biggest money making pubs in Scotland, both within half a mile of each other.

I remember once the owner of the Willie Muir declared that Sunday's were "blade free nights" so blokes could take their wives for a game of bingo in peice !!

Archived