Just watched BBC highlights for first time...

daviel1975

...and I have to say I feel slightly misled by some who have commented on yesterdays events.

Some observations:-

1. Broadfoot should definitely have been booked for his dive in the first half.

2. Miko did go down very, very easily. Not much sympathy from me.

3. Ridiculous challenge for his second booking. Even if the first one was harsh, he should be professional enough to keep the heid. Disgraceful, especially with his previous disciplinary issues.

4. The penalty appeal where the shot hit Bougherra would have been incredibly harsh and we would have been raging if that was given against us. Anybody who can't see that is being one eyed in the extreme.

5. The penalty Rangers got was a stick-on.

All in all, I feel that some of the reaction on here has been verging on hysteria. I bet I'm not the only one who has watched the highlights and been shocked at the difference between the way events have been described and what actually happened.

Miko did go down very, very easily. Not much sympathy from me.

The bookable offense is supposed to be simulation not "going down easy".

Miko falling over V Scotland was classic simulation, his falling over V Rangers was exaggeration.

If exaggeration became bookable, there would be dozens of bookings every game. Nearly every tackle results in someone falling over!

...and I have to say I feel slightly misled by some who have commented on yesterdays events.

3. Ridiculous challenge for his second booking. Even if the first one was harsh, he should be professional enough to keep the heid. Disgraceful, especially with his previous disciplinary issues.

4. The penalty appeal where the shot hit Bougherra would have been incredibly harsh and we would have been raging if that was given against us. Anybody who can't see that is being one eyed in the extreme.

All in all, I feel that some of the reaction on here has been verging on hysteria. I bet I'm not the only one who has watched the highlights and been shocked at the difference between the way events have been described and what actually happened.

Who wants to say it first?

I watched the game on Hearts World and felt I agreed with what you are saying, however from the reactions last night I felt I had maybe been a bit harsh and thought I'd reconsider after the highlights. To be honest if we'd been in the game at all I probably would have cared more but we were dreadful yesterday. Playing 5-4-1 with a lone striker who hasn't had a decent shot in 2 games is hardly the way to go. I'm not blaming Jamie Mole, it's just that he doesn't have the experience to play up front alone at this stage in his career, particularly with the lack of service. Not only do we need a decent forward, the supply is going to have to improve too if we are going to stand a chance of getting into Europe this season.

The bookable offense is supposed to be simulation not "going down easy".

Miko falling over V Scotland was classic simulation, his falling over V Rangers was exaggeration.

If exaggeration became bookable, there would be dozens of bookings every game. Nearly every tackle results in someone falling over!

Point taken, but you would agree, I presume, that there is a fine line between simulation and exaggeration. I do have sympathy for him in that I do feel his reputation goes before him, and to be booked for that was on the harsh side. His behaviour afterwards, however, was a disgrace - public park stuff, and letting down his team who had fared pretty well up until that point.

I'd say, based on the 5 minutes highlights,

Broadfoot dived and got away with it.

Berra's "foul" that led to the first goal was incredibly soft.

At Miko's dive, though hard to tell from the camera angle, it looked like the Rangers player had pulled his jersey.

Miko's second booking was also very soft, a few years ago it would have been a typical 50:50 challenge.

Hearts penalty claim was dubious.

I'd also say that I generally think S Dougal is a good ref, possibly the best.

What is it about Miko and Rangers?

Thank you.

What's your point caller? At what point did I say I was a Hearts supporter? If you are saying that me calling it as I see it 'outs' me as a non-Jambo does that not prove my point about the one-eyed way yesterday's game has been described on here?

Are you willing to respond to any of my observations or is name calling your limit?

For the record, I'm not a Hibs fan either.

Thunderstruck

You didn't mention Boyd's simulation for free kick that led to first goal.

Re Miko's "dive": I would like to see how you would fall if you are going at pace past a defender who reaches across your body to pull your shoulder. It's a few years since I last opened "Physics is Fun" but I am almost certain that the loss of equilibrium would result in a spiraling fall in the direction of travel with the tugged shoulder hitting the ground first. This is precisely what happened and, if you watch the highlights closely, you will see Papac spin slightly as his arm makes contact to impede Miko. A definite foul for Hearts.

Given his unpunished diving antics, do you think Broadfoot will now be singled out for special attention by Refs?

Magic Numbers

In all seriousness, re the Miko falling down/dive whatever you want to call it, after re-watching the highlights, what was there to be gained by Miko going down in that position? It looked as if he was pretty much through & flying, why would he suddenly decide to dive in that position?I just don't get it.

Papac's arm came across & I thought that he had a hold of the shirt too, certainly a foul for us.

Oh well, there's always next week...:107years:

I'd say, based on the 5 minutes highlights,

Broadfoot dived and got away with it.

Berra's "foul" that led to the first goal was incredibly soft.

At Miko's dive, though hard to tell from the camera angle, it looked like the Rangers player had pulled his jersey.

Miko's second booking was also very soft, a few years ago it would have been a typical 50:50 challenge.

Hearts penalty claim was dubious.

I'd also say that I generally think S Dougal is a good ref, possibly the best.

What is it about Miko and Rangers?

Good post. Saved me typing that!

Miko went down a bit easy, but there was definate contact, therefore it is NOT a dive

What's your point caller? At what point did I say I was a Hearts supporter? If you are saying that me calling it as I see it 'outs' me as a non-Jambo does that not prove my point about the one-eyed way yesterday's game has been described on here?

Are you willing to respond to any of my observations or is name calling your limit?

You are not a Hearts fan, that is blatantly obvious by your blue tinted perspective on yesterdays game.

Hearts were pants and deserved to lose, most Hearts fans agree with that, if you think i am going to agree with your team getting the usual biased interpretation of the rules by Scottish referees you are mistaken.

You didn't mention Boyd's simulation for free kick that led to first goal.

Re Miko's "dive": I would like to see how you would fall if you are going at pace past a defender who reaches across your body to pull your shoulder. It's a few years since I last opened "Physics is Fun" but I am almost certain that the loss of equilibrium would result in a spiraling fall in the direction of travel with the tugged shoulder hitting the ground first. This is precisely what happened and, if you watch the highlights closely, you will see Papac spin slightly as his arm makes contact to impede Miko. A definite foul for Hearts.

Given his unpunished diving antics, do you think Broadfoot will now be singed out for special attention by Refs?

You're kidding yourself on if you believe that the way Miko went down was purely as a result of the laws of physics! Definitely embellished - even if it was a foul by Papac. Was a harsh booking, but his previous went before him (which is wrong btw). As for Broadfoot, his dive was ridiculous and he should have been booked.

Magic Numbers

Touchy touchy!!! Did the smiley & the text size not give my post away as being a wee bit tongue-in-cheek? Sorry if I have offended you.

:107years:...and counting!

You are not a Hearts fan, that is blatantly obvious by your blue tinted perspective on yesterdays game.

Hearts were pants and deserved to lose, most Hearts fans agree with that, if you think i am going to agree with your team getting the usual biased interpretation of the rules by Scottish referees you are mistaken.

You may think it is a biased view, and I doubt I can convince you otherwise. All I can say is that is how I honestly assessed each incident. If I thought Hearts had been hard done by I would say so.

For what it's worth I actually thought Hearts looked pretty solid yesterday and massively improved from last season.

Nelly Terraces

The 'challenge' on Audrey in the 1st half (by Thompson or McCulloch?) was a straight red, no question, tackle was almost halfway up his body (OK, wee Audreys bod, prob knee high on someone else!).

Take it that was shown, and commented on on RBC's 'highlights'?

The handball by the hun was a stick on pen imho. He voluntarily stuck his hand up, ball hit hand. Which part of that isn't handball?

Corruption and lies at the heart of our game, and nothing said. I love our media.

The 'challenge' on Audrey in the 1st half (by Thompson or McCulloch?) was a straight red, no question, tackle was almost halfway up his body (OK, wee Audreys bod, prob knee high on someone else!).

Take it that was shown, and commented on on RBC's 'highlights'?

The handball by the hun was a stick on pen imho. He voluntarily stuck his hand up, ball hit hand. Which part of that isn't handball?

Corruption and lies at the heart of our game, and nothing said. I love our media.

Do you actually know the rules of football? Not to mention the fact that it didn't hit his hand. Apart from that, you're spot on, and I bow to your football genius.

Nelly Terraces

Do you actually know the rules of football?

Yes. You obviously don't though. Past your bedtime son, get some sleep.

Given his unpunished diving antics, do you think Broadfoot will now be singled out for special attention by Refs?

Will Gordon Smith report him to Uefa to get him banned.

Or is that just for Hearts players.

:confused:

Yes. You obviously don't though. Past your bedtime son, get some sleep.

Even though it didn't hit his hand (it hit the back of his upper arm), I'll humour you. If it is ball to hand (especially from about 2m away!) it is not handball!

Thunderstruck
You're kidding yourself on if you believe that the way Miko went down was purely as a result of the laws of physics! Definitely embellished - even if it was a foul by Papac. Was a harsh booking, but his previous went before him (which is wrong btw). As for Broadfoot, his dive was ridiculous and he should have been booked.

Good God in Govan! Even Jim Traynor thought it was a foul and Miko should not have been booked.

Good God in Govan! Even Jim Traynor thought it was a foul and Miko should not have been booked.

Aye, there's a reason why he's been known for years in media circles as 'Jungle' Jim. :)

Magic Numbers

And while I'm at it, Paul Bloody Mitchell on the Beeb, what a tosspot he is!!!

Ok he seemed surprised when bloody Flatfoot tripped over, must have been a shamrock growing on the pitch or something!

Called Boyd "clever" when he went down, still can't believe Berra was penalised for that one.

Showed his contempt for Miko at the first booking

Couldn't wait to stick the boot into Miko at the sending off - His "and he can go all the way off the field" comment for some reason really annoyed me!

Almost overjoyed by the penalty, "AND RANGERS WILL BE ABLE TO FINISH OFF HEARTS"

Oh, and his voice is really grating don't you think?

Must admit I was impressed by our players' reactions to the incidents, Stewart would have been within his rights to go absolutely tonto at anyone who would listen, Berra likewise but his wry smile said it all. And Miko showed everyone his disgust at the first booking without incurring a second booking (didn't have to wait long for it mind you)

Agreed

Thunderstruck
Aye, there's a reason why he's been known for years in media circles as 'Jungle' Jim. :)

Your blue roots are showing!

With your great football knowledge.

Can you tell us why handball was not given against the crab fergeson in last years diddy cup semi final.

In full view of the ref.

And why he was never booked once in last years SPL.

With your great football knowledge.

Can you tell us why handball was not given against the crab fergeson in last years diddy cup semi final.

In full view of the ref.

And why he was never booked once in last years SPL.

I never said I had great football knowledge - I was just ripping the pish out of somebody who is either blind, stupid or both.

On Ferguson, the handball was a pish poor decision. The fact he wasn't booked is a spurious one - I would have to trawl through some amount of footage to see if he should have been.

In general, I admit that Rangers do get more than their fair share of decisions, especially at home. Where I disagree with most is that I think it is not a result of corruption, but down to pressure on the referees due to the weight of numbers of support and also the high profile of the club in Scotland.

I stand by my original observations, however. I don't think Hearts had much to moan about yesterday. If I was a Jambo I'd be concentrating my ire on Mikolunaus.

Thunderstruck
On Ferguson, the handball was a pish poor decision. The fact he wasn't booked is a spurious one - I would have to trawl through some amount of footage to see if he should have been.

Don't waste too much time looking - go to Huns vs Sheep at Pittodrie where he assaulted an Aberdeen player. I use the word "assaulted" deliberately.

I never said I had great football knowledge - I was just ripping the pish out of somebody who is either blind, stupid or both.

In general, I admit that Rangers do get more than their fair share of decisions, especially at home. Where I disagree with most is that I think it is not a result of corruption, but down to pressure on the referees due to the weight of numbers of support and also the high profile of the club in Scotland.

I stand by my original observations, however. I don't think Hearts had much to moan about yesterday. If I was a Jambo I'd be concentrating my ire on Mikolunaus.

I will help you to start your seach at the Aberdeen away game when he threw a punch.

Again in full view of the ref.

Pressure on refs and numbers of fans is no excuse if they cant do their jobs then they should GTF.

:mad:

Thunderstruck

Not a chance that you would meet the job spec. Sorry.

Don't waste too much time looking - go to Huns vs Sheep at Pittodrie where he assaulted an Aberdeen player. I use the word "assaulted" deliberately.

Yes, I remember that and he was very, very lucky. He lost that place a bit when Aberdeen were trying to kick us off the park that day.

Fair point. He should have been at least booked in that game. I'm sure there were other challenges or dissent which were potentially bookable as well. I don't think he particuarly puts himself about though compared to some centre-mids, and I think most referees have a lot of time for the way he conducts himself as captain.

Not a chance that you would meet the job spec. Sorry.

Why? Because I don't have a chip on my shoulder the size of Lithuania?

Sorry, I apologise, I was only commenting on what I saw AT THE GAME!!!

Typical that we get someone on here who watches the highlights and slates us for our opinion. Sorry, but there were no replays, no close-ups and from where I was sitting (compared to where Rangers fans sit at Tynecastle) our view was slightly distorted.

PS - I don't like Miko either, but that wasn't a dive. Was Miko's second challenge as bad as Thomson's on Karypidis? Our penalty claim would have been given if the home side had claimed for it (just as Chelsea got today) and as for theirs, I don't think those pictures are conclusive at all, Miller looked as if he was going down all along, but heaven forbid that Rangers players would cheat or dive. Broadfoot and Boyd were doing it for most of the day.

Yes, I remember that and he was very, very lucky. He lost that place a bit when Aberdeen were trying to kick us off the park that day.

Fair point. He should have been at least booked in that game. I'm sure there were other challenges or dissent which were potentially bookable as well. I don't think he particuarly puts himself about though compared to some centre-mids, and I think most referees have a lot of time for the way he conducts himself as captain.

So you are saying Refs make decisions based on who the player is.

Spot on.

Ask Miko

I will help you to start your seach at the Aberdeen away game when he threw a punch.

Again in full view of the ref.

See my reply above

Pressure on refs and numbers of fans is no excuse if they cant do their jobs then they should GTF.

:mad:

Not excusing it, just proposing a possible explanation. It is backed up by the fact that in most countries you look at, the smaller clubs always feel that the big ones get the rub of the green with decisions.

Occams Razor would also back me up in that my theory of human pressure is a whole lot less complicated than a half-baked conspiracy involving hundreds of people in the full view of the media glare, with no hard evidence of it ever coming to the fore.

The Miko incident was typical of him, he did seem to fall rather than prefer to carry on running, maybe thought he would be treated with the same rulebook that the ref consulted for the broadfoot foul... silly of him I know.

Broadfoot clearly falls at least 3 ft away from MS with no contact whatsoever.

Rangers penalty was definate, right foot clearly taken out.

Beasley was clearly trying to move out of the way of the ball, no penalty for me there.

What irks me most is the commentary, ok I've only watched the 5 minute highlights on bbc but, ffs, commentary not in the least professional and showing contempt for players is not what I want to hear.

All that was mentioned about broadfoot was a wee "he did go down a bit easy", no mention of the fact there was no contact whatsoever. Erseholes the lot of them.

Miko showed he should know by now by rotting off the park sharpish before the ref had even reached for his pocket, just stop doing that nonsense in the first place Miko!!! (Not the tackling, the grass eating..). Show these blark barstewards you're ten times the player than you are a diver..

Sorry, I apologise, I was only commenting on what I saw AT THE GAME!!!

Typical that we get someone on here who watches the highlights and slates us for our opinion. Sorry, but there were no replays, no close-ups and from where I was sitting (compared to where Rangers fans sit at Tynecastle) our view was slightly distorted.

PS - I don't like Miko either, but that wasn't a dive. Was Miko's second challenge as bad as Thomson's on Karypidis? Our penalty claim would have been given if the home side had claimed for it (just as Chelsea got today) and as for theirs, I don't think those pictures are conclusive at all, Miller looked as if he was going down all along, but heaven forbid that Rangers players would cheat or dive. Broadfoot and Boyd were doing it for most of the day.

Don't take it personally. You are proving my point about people totally exaggerating events yesterday without seeing it properly. This time last night I thought that Bougherra had virtually caught the bloody ball the way folk were going on.

I wonder how many people are willing to admit they felt gutted when they saw how much of a half-hearted appeal it actually was.

See my reply above

Not excusing it, just proposing a possible explanation. It is backed up by the fact that in most countries you look at, the smaller clubs always feel that the big ones get the rub of the green with decisions.

Occams Razor would also back me up in that my theory of human pressure is a whole lot less complicated than a half-baked conspiracy involving hundreds of people in the full view of the media glare, with no hard evidence of it ever coming to the fore.

:eek:

I take thats the glasgow mediab glare.

nuff said.

My view of the Highlights

1. Foul on Miko, but he has to stop going down like that, because he's a marked man and he'll have to learn how to deal with being a marked man because it isnt going to change any time soon. Not a booking but he could have stayed on his feet. What does he expect after his previous. No sympathy. Stupid foul for his second yellow. Left his team with no hope of getting back into the game.

2. Broadfoot was a blatant simulation dive. Yellow card without a shadow of doubt.

3. Not a free kick for their first goal, but p\ss poor defending, 3 times after after the free kick was taken, was the real cause of the goal.

4. Not a penalty for us. Struck his upper arm/elbow after he had turned his back on it. His arms are not up or out at the time of the contact although they were up just before the ball was struck.

5 Stonewall penalty for Rangers at the end and should have been a red card.

On the game changing decisions Dougal overall has been a bit harsh on Miko (got it wrong in fact) . He was dead right with the two penalty claims though and was lenient with Wallace.

My view of the Highlights

1. Foul on Miko, but he has to stop going down like that, because he's a marked man and he'll have to learn how to deal with being a marked man because it isnt going to change any time soon. Not a booking but he could have stayed on his feet. What does he expect after his previous. No sympathy. Stupid foul for his second yellow. Left his team with no hope of getting back into the game.

2. Broadfoot was a blatant simulation dive. Yellow card without a shadow of doubt.

3. Not a free kick for their first goal, but p\ss poor defending, 3 times after after the free kick was taken, was the real cause of the goal.

4. Not a penalty for us. Struck his upper arm/elbow after he had turned his back on it. His arms are not up or out at the time of the contact although they were up just before the ball was struck.

5 Stonewall penalty for Rangers at the end and should have been a red card.

On the game changing decisions Dougal overall has been a bit harsh on Miko (got it wrong in fact) . He was dead right with the two penalty claims though and was lenient with Wallace.

100% agree with all of that. Good to see not all Jambos have their heads in the sand.

I am glad that you have been able to point this out to us, as you are so impartial, and it is only the Hearts fans that have a "one-eyed view".

I am glad that you have been able to point this out to us, as you are so impartial, and it is only the Hearts fans that have a "one-eyed view".

If you read through this thread, you will not only see that I have conceded that Rangers have benefited from specific dubious refereeing decisions, but also that, in general, we get more than our fair share of refereeing calls.

However, I stand by my original post regarding the game yesterday. What part of it do you disagree with?

ChemicalJambo

Broadfoots was like Miko's at hampden, no contact. So should have been a yellow.

Boyd went down when tickled by Berra, physically there's no way Berra did enough to make him fall over. Known as playing for the foul.

Miko did the exact same, physically it would have to be a strong tug and you'd fall sideways or a forearm smash and you'd fall backwards. Miko spun and fell at the slightest touch, so was like Boyd playing for the foul. His reputation got him booked.

2nd yellow was classic where you lose control and dive in, certain booking.

Hearts penalty claim was very similar to the one Chelsea got against portmouth today.

So as per usual, marginal decisions go for the old firm, but I don't think it would have made any difference to the result of the match.

When was the last time an old firm player was booked for diving on their home ground? Probably never

If you read through this thread, you will not only see that I have conceded that Rangers have benefited from specific dubious refereeing decisions, but also that, in general, we get more than our fair share of refereeing calls.

However, I stand by my original post regarding the game yesterday. What part of it do you disagree with?

The Miko sending off was very harsh, despite what you say. He was fouled, so it should have been our free kick. If Dougal is going to start booking players for making the most of a foul, then he is going to have a very interesting last season. The second yellow was for a tackle that was not as bad as ones your players got away with.

You should also realise that when decisions consistently go against your team, you get even more annoyed by every subsequent shoddy decision. Of course, you will never have to face that problem.

Your patronising tone throughout your posts is also very evident. Every Hearts fan that disagrees with you is deluded/has head in sand etc. You are on a Hearts forum, after we have been hindered once again by a less than impartial refereeing performance against your team (we didn't deserve to win anyway, but that isn't the point :rolleyes:), how do you expect Hearts fans to react to your posts?

The bottom line is that none of the decisions Dougal got wrong effected the outcome of the game. Even with Miko still on the park we would still have lost in my opinion.

We lost the game because of our own shortcomings and frailties, and thats actually a good thing, because we can do something about those things ourselves.

We cant do anything about historical refreeing incompetence/bias/corrpution (call it what you will) until all the other clubs get together and make a serious and well presented case to the SFA/SPL, AND they decide to act on it. I dont see that happening any time soon.

rudi must stay
The bottom line is that none of the decisions Dougal got wrong effected the outcome of the game. Even with Miko still on the park we would still have lost in my opinion.

We lost the game because of our own shortcomings and frailties, and thats actually a good thing, because we can do something about those things ourselves.

We cant do anything about historical refreeing incompetence/bias/corrpution (call it what you will) until all the other clubs get together and make a serious and well presented case to the SFA/SPL, AND they decide to act on it. I dont see that happening any time soon.

definatly. Infact it was maybe a good thing for us he got sent off because after that we started playing better football

I'll throw in my tuppence worth too:

1 - The Broadfoot dive is ridiculous, he should now be punished retrospectively in my view.

2 - Berra's foul on Boyd is hardly worthy of the name and is a poor decision, but we should have dealt with the 2nd ball a lot better and that's what cost us the goal.

3 - Miko's first booking isn't even a dive, Papac's arm comes across which according to most commenators "entitles him to go down", maybe Dougal didn't see it if he was behind Miko, but like another poster has said on a different thread, when have you ever seen someone booked for diving on the half way line?

4 - Miko's second booking is a definate booking, a crazy and irresponsible challenge to make having already been booked, and a candidate for a straight red at Ibrox and Parkhead.

5 - Our penalty claim is not a penalty. I was at pains to point out to all my Hun mates when we beat them 1-0 under Burley that the Neilson penalty incident wasn't a penalty because defenders simply can't defend with their arms hidden behind their backs. Hun defender is about 5 yards away when the ball is struck, turns in the air and his hand just catches the ball - if you ask me its impossible for him to get it out the way and I believe the rules state that handball must be deliberate for an offense to be given.

6 - Their penalty is a penalty and also a straight red, similar to the Boumsong / De Vries incident at Ibrox a few years ago when we were all outraged by the yellow Boumsong got for that.

Overall if the decisions cost us, its the minor ones (soft rangers free-kick and Mikos first yellow) that won't get much press attention because they weren't penalty incidents that did it for us.

WeeToonJambo
And while I'm at it, Paul Bloody Mitchell on the Beeb, what a tosspot he is!!!

Ok he seemed surprised when bloody Flatfoot tripped over, must have been a shamrock growing on the pitch or something!

Called Boyd "clever" when he went down, still can't believe Berra was penalised for that one.

Showed his contempt for Miko at the first booking

Couldn't wait to stick the boot into Miko at the sending off - His "and he can go all the way off the field" comment for some reason really annoyed me!

Almost overjoyed by the penalty, "AND RANGERS WILL BE ABLE TO FINISH OFF HEARTS"

Oh, and his voice is really grating don't you think?

Must admit I was impressed by our players' reactions to the incidents, Stewart would have been within his rights to go absolutely tonto at anyone who would listen, Berra likewise but his wry smile said it all. And Miko showed everyone his disgust at the first booking without incurring a second booking (didn't have to wait long for it mind you)

Paul Mitchell is a Jambo!! Maybe, like many Kickbackers, he just doesn't like Miko.

Archived