Is there a "Scottish Mafia"?

JamboMarc

Is there a "Scottish Mafia"?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is there a "Scottish Mafia"?

• Yes, Im with the not so Mad Vlad on this one.
    • No, were just after any old excuse.

^^^^^^

Is it a level field for all teams?

Is it feck.

And that's the only question that needs asking when you're enquiring into the fairness of the Scottish game.

Unfortunately, the answer you've given is the answer that every Scottish football fan knows but can do nothing about.

Professor.Arturo
Not the best poll, it's not as simple as Yes or No.

Not quite sure what you mean. I'd say it is as simple as yes or no, where it gets complicated is which half of the ugly sisters is given the vote to win the league in any given year. ;)

How Coco please tell me it was a mistake

Am i in the minority here? :rofl::rofl: I don't know about the Mafia thing and i don't think we are looking for any old excuse, because it is obvious there is a bias, you'd have to be extremely niave to suggest otherwise; But in previous years I believe Romanov has held us back alot more than any scottish mafia could. In all honesty, I couldn't give a toss if there was a mafia, because I would rather support a Hearts team playing third divison football than support a mafia backed team that beat us today. Today we got beat, fair enough, but I know that as a Hearts fan I support a team with far more integrity than any other in the league; therfore if there is a Mafia, it will make it far more satisfying when (If in my lifetime) hearts win the league off there own back!

Not sure if that makes sense, but what I am trying to say is that if Hearts where backed by a Scottish Mafia which helped them bring success, I wouldn't be so keen on supporting them as the success would be fake! Today, at 1-0 with 10minutes to go, the Rangers fans where leaving the stadium in thier thousands! It took Dundee Utd's fourth goal against us last season for Hearts fans to do this! What does that say about the two clubs, mafia or no mafia!

Am i in the minority here? :rofl::rofl: I don't know about the Mafia thing and i don't think we are looking for any old excuse, because it is obvious there is a bias, you'd have to be extremely niave to suggest otherwise; But in previous years I believe Romanov has held us back alot more than any scottish mafia could. In all honesty, I couldn't give a toss if there was a mafia, because I would rather support a Hearts team playing third divison football than support a mafia backed team that beat us today. Today we got beat, fair enough, but I know that as a Hearts fan I support a team with far more integrity than any other in the league; therfore if there is a Mafia, it will make it far more satisfying when (If in my lifetime) hearts win the league off there own back!

Not sure if that makes sense, but what I am trying to say is that if Hearts where backed by a Scottish Mafia which helped them bring success, I wouldn't be so keen on supporting them as the success would be fake! Today, at 1-0 with 10minutes to go, the Rangers fans where leaving the stadium in thier thousands! It took Dundee Utd's fourth goal against us last season for Hearts fans to do this! What does that say about the two clubs, mafia or no mafia!

I wouldn't want to win as a "Mafia" team either.

But the argument seems to be about the one everyone is up against, not one we want to be part of.

Your post seems to assume the rest of us want to be part of a Mafia? Or are you just suggesting their trophies are not worth as much, as I would agree with?

Was talking with a Rangers fan tonight, he a dick but we won`t go into that but his reason for Miko getting sent off the Scotland game wtf, but then give him his due dare i say this he did say he though we should have had something from the game, feel this guys heed

siegementality
Not quite sure what you mean. I'd say it is as simple as yes or no, where it gets complicated is which half of the ugly sisters is given the vote to win the league in any given year. ;)

Well even going just by your own post it's not that simple.

I wouldn't want to win as a "Mafia" team either.

But the argument seems to be about the one everyone is up against, not one we want to be part of.

Your post seems to assume the rest of us want to be part of a Mafia? Or are you just suggesting their trophies are not worth as much, as I would agree with?

Why do we care though? Why does Romanov care? It's much more satisfying to let the football do the talking! If we put a team on the park good enough to challenge the old firm there would be nothing the Mafia could do! Rangers are terrible and if we put either the 1998 or 2005 teams up against them today we would have come away with the 3 points! On the same note, I wouldn't swap any of the two scottish cup wins in my lifetime for any of the Rangers or Celtics achivements!

Why do we care though? Why does Romanov care? It's much more satisfying to let the football do the talking! If we put a team on the park good enough to challenge the old firm there would be nothing the Mafia could do! Rangers are terrible and if we put either the 1998 or 2005 teams up against them today we would have come away with the 3 points! On the same note, I wouldn't swap any of the two scottish cup wins in my lifetime for any of the Rangers or Celtics achivements!

Yes, I think any trophies any other teams win mean more.

But who cares? Well, 30 odd years of cash, time and emotional investment tell me I care.

So is their a "mafia" that protect the Ugly Sisters?

I say there almost definately is.

Scottish Mafia is probably the wrong term, but there is clearly a west coast media, referee, sfa, etc bias. Anyone who watches or is involved in scottish football can see it, anyone in scottish football who dares to suggest it is fined or ridiculed which adds further strength to the argument that the bias is exists.

The "Scottish Mafia" is the old firm and their media lapdogs. I am not a subscriber to the theories that referees deliberately cheat. The thing that is wrong with our game is the sycophantic pandering by the so-called objective press to these two sick institutions. The disproportionate "coverage" given to anything related to the OF - and corresponding negativity aimed at every other club is done in order to make the media profitable. In doing so, there are two side effects. Kids grow up in an environment where, unless they are indoctrinated into following their local club by a parent or sibling, they will be brainwashed by the never-ending pressure to be associated with "success" and drift to the dark side. This creates a never ending conveyor belt of fodder for the Glasgow media to purvey their bile to.

Secondly, this unrelenting message that the OF DESERVE success creates a subliminal belief which is triggered within referees by the baying OF hoards, when called upon to make marginal decisions. A reaction which always results in decisions in their favour.

It's a Catch 22 situation. If you buy them, just look at the column inches in the red top rags, dedicated to the ugly sisters versus any other team. Of course they'll argue that it is in proportion to the fans who attend matches and that 80% of paying supporters on any given match day are the great unwashed. So what's the answer? I wish I knew. One is surely that managers and officials of every club should be allowed to speak out on the way they see decisions - without the fear of being parodied, ridiculed or fined. What I'd like to see is a champion in the press - maybe a Graham Speirs or someone of that ilk - start a press campaign highlighting exactly the impact that these decisions are having on every other team. Not just on the day it happens, but over the course of a season. Of course this won't happen as their sports editors won't allow it.

What we as supporters can do is try and create a subliminal message of our own. And that is to use every medium we can to get the message to the SFA. It is not a level playing field. Referees consistently "err" in favour of the OF. It is not acceptable. Something needs to be done.

After what is it three four years and reading about Vlad being a crook, and part of the Russian Mafia etc. if he says its so based on the reputation some have built for him, it must be so who would know better.;)

Yes, I think any trophies any other teams win mean more.

But who cares? Well, 30 odd years of cash, time and emotional investment tell me I care.

Fair point, but who are the mafia? I was at Ibrox today and thought Miko's sending off was harsh and thought we should have had a penalty, but on the same note I find it hard to feel hard done by because if i am honest Hearts didn't give me much to shout about today, other than the fact we look better than what we where last season! On the other hand, if you compare this game to the game at Tynecastle where Fysass got sent off against Celtic, then I would certainly feel there was a bias, but a Mafia? Who are the Mafia?

The ref blew it today with all major decisions and was yet again clearly incompetent. All decisions went rangers way whereas we got hee haw. From memory these were the major decisions that went against us.

McCulloch halves Shammy with a high tackle - No card shown

Kingston booked for literally stepping over Thomson's tackle that was deserving of a booking in itself!!

Free kick given for Boyd falling on his erse before Berra gets to him which in turn leads to the goal (albeit very poor defending by us)

Miko booked for diving even though there was clear contact and obstruction

Miko booked for tackle which is correct decison however not consistent with other challenges (see McCulloch tackle)

2 clear handballs nothing given 2nd handball Bougherra was dancing to Prince Charming.

There looked to be some dubiety on the penalty on whether any contact was made with Miller however take that aside we were shafted by the ref big time today with incompetence of the highest order. Todays game had 0-0 written all over it.

The question that Levein asked last season is now true again this season.... Is there any point in playing in Glasgow as decisions will very very seldom go your way!!!

[/b]

Fair point, but who are the mafia? I was at Ibrox today and thought Miko's sending off was harsh and thought we should have had a penalty, but on the same note I find it hard to feel hard done by because if i am honest Hearts didn't give me much to shout about today, other than the fact we look better than what we where last season! On the other hand, if you compare this game to the game at Tynecastle where Fysass got sent off against Celtic, then I would certainly feel there was a bias, but a Mafia? Who are the Mafia?

Bias is one thing, not it all. I appreciate bigger clubs all over the world get more than their fair share of dodgy decisions.

When the press / media get together to talk about OF interest in your players when you are likely to put in a challenge in an upcoming game.

When the press / media laugh off Broadfoot's dive as a bit theatrical and go mental when Miko does less.

When the media overlook any OF diving, or brush over it (McGeady at Easter Road last season, Burke, Nakamura etc). They cleverly draw fouls.

When we get fines for bookings and sending-offs they don't get, and only we make a point about it (Latterly Levein).

A barrage of Chick Youngs etc on publicly funded stations.

A shocking programme by BBC Scotland shortly after Vlad had arrived.

That's some of what people mean by a mafia.

The ref blew it today with all major decisions and was yet again clearly incompetent. All decisions went rangers way whereas we got hee haw. From memory these were the major decisions that went against us.

McCulloch halves Shammy with a high tackle - No card shown

Kingston booked for literally stepping over Thomson's tackle that was deserving of a booking in itself!!

Free kick given for Boyd falling on his erse before Berra gets to him which in turn leads to the goal (albeit very poor defending by us)

Miko booked for diving even though there was clear contact and obstruction

Miko booked for tackle which is correct decison however not consistent with other challenges (see McCulloch tackle)

2 clear handballs nothing given 2nd handball Bougherra was dancing to Prince Charming.

There looked to be some dubiety on the penalty on whether any contact was made with Miller however take that aside we were shafted by the ref big time today with incompetence of the highest order. Todays game had 0-0 written all over it.

The question that Levein asked last season is now true again this season.... Is there any point in playing in Glasgow as decisions will very very seldom go your way!!!

NOT INCOMPETENT THATS A USEFUL COVER< A CHEAT MIGHT BE A BETTER TERM:slither:

Geoff Kilpatrick
Scottish Mafia is probably the wrong term, but there is clearly a west coast media, referee, sfa, etc bias. Anyone who watches or is involved in scottish football can see it, anyone in scottish football who dares to suggest it is fined or ridiculed which adds further strength to the argument that the bias is exists.

I agree with that. I can understand Vlad's use of "mafia" but it is the wrong term. It's the cosiness of the status quo that suits the gruesome twosome and the SFA as they all gain from it.

An upstart like Vlad is like a bad smell to these people.

Just a few thoughts -- its not an organised 'mafia' conspiring against us and other teams its human nature -- as the ugly sisters do have more fans etc they will also produce more journalists, referees and business people who will have leanings towards one or the other -- these people already have a small bias in favour of the old firm and when added to the pressure of the crowds at home especially they are not as strong willed as they should be.

Referees will give those decisions in their favour just as journalists will turn a blind eye and not ask the difficult question -- it is not right but I do not believe it is organised -- though let's face it our esteemed leaders outbursts are not exactly going to help the cause.

We need to highlight the errors and name and shame those involved -- in England for example a referee has to register if he or his family have an interest in any teams -- they are not generally awarded matches involving those teams -- with our small population base and disproportionate following of two teams this would not perhaps be possible but we can make it more open and above board.

So not organised but an unconscious cabal who in some cases will not be aware of what they are doing but in some cases .................

Just a few thoughts -- its not an organised 'mafia' conspiring against us and other teams its human nature -- as the ugly sisters do have more fans etc they will also produce more journalists, referees and business people who will have leanings towards one or the other -- these people already have a small bias in favour of the old firm and when added to the pressure of the crowds at home especially they are not as strong willed as they should be.

as per CJGJ - there's not enough intelligence between that lot to organise such an orchestrated campaign... it's more a case of individual bias as a collective group.

john brownlee

just one more step to getting the ?10,000 add on fine and next years ?80,000 fine and any subsequent penalties the GFA impose on Hearts and Mr Romanov

dont think it deserved a red card,his name cost him,could you ever think an old firm player would be sent off as easily.i dont think ita a mafia as such,but the standards are so bad its getting to the embarrasing stage.

but will there be anything done,we all know the answer to that.

There`s bias, no doubt. I was talking about this with my Dad yesterday.

He worked beside a grade one ref years ago who was the ONLY Edinburgh ref at the time at top level.

The ref said bias was rife back then and most referees where OF fans. Particular refs were given games of teams which they supported.

For the record the guy was a Hearts fan himself.

David McCaig

Its institutional bias which is so deep rooted that the Weedgie Media probably dont even recognise that they are doing anything wrong.

I had the misfortune to listen to BBC Sportsound from 2:00-2:50 yesterday and it made the openly biased Hearts World seem like a balanced broadcaster in relation to the Rangers propoganda fest I was subjected to. Chick Young's interview with "Coisty" was beyond belief, as was the discussion on isnt David Murray wonderful.

My English wife often asks me what the point is when we dont compete on a level playing field, but I suppose that sport is all about taking the knocks and bouncing back and as Ferguson showed at Aberdeen in the 80s, if you build a team which is so much better than the Old Firm then eventually even the establishment cant stop you.

So come on Vlad, we now have a manager destined for great things in Csaba, lets get the players to put the Mafia in its place.

There's most certainly a 'mafia' of some sort.

I would honestly advocate pulling out of the SPL, as it has just got ridiculous. I actually think that a few clubs would follow. The OF need us more than we need them.

monkfish1979

I see what you're saying, but it goes a bit further than fielding a better team. We'd have to field a team that played the perfect game week in week out. None of the players would go down under heavy challenges and none of them would make heavy challenges. Add that to the fact that they'd have to make OF divers look like they were play acting and it gets a tad more difficult. Even the pundits say Miko was treated badly yesterday. That never happens. The repercussions of this? Feck all.

Its institutional bias which is so deep rooted that the Weedgie Media probably dont even recognise that they are doing anything wrong.

I had the misfortune to listen to BBC Sportsound from 2:00-2:50 yesterday and it made the openly biased Hearts World seem like a balanced broadcaster in relation to the Rangers propoganda fest I was subjected to. Chick Young's interview with "Coisty" was beyond belief, as was the discussion on isnt David Murray wonderful.

My English wife often asks me what the point is when we dont compete on a level playing field, but I suppose that sport is all about taking the knocks and bouncing back and as Ferguson showed at Aberdeen in the 80s, if you build a team which is so much better than the Old Firm then eventually even the establishment cant stop you.

So come on Vlad, we now have a manager destined for great things in Csaba, lets get the players to put the Mafia in its place.

Exactly, and the propaganda machine over the decades has had a huge negative effect mentally on the rest of the scottish game too in regards to winning in Glasgow.

"you`ll never win through there" "the Ibrox cauldron" "it`s difficult to win in Glasgow"................ im feckin sick of hearing that sheeite and clubs start sub-consciously taking it in.

cobbyshambles

overwhelming result on this one.Ref's genuinely look pleased when they don't give teams vital decisions against the OF.

Captain Lithuania

It disgusts me. How the orange lot got away with several dives I do not know. How Miko was booked for diving, again, I dont know. And Miko recived a second yellow and he never even touched him. They were also rewarded a penalty for a good challenge, just cause I'm a jambo I'm not making this up. Watch the BBC highlights and you will see Wallace went for the ball and got it.

What about a football league where one man has influence on at least 3 of the 8 teams and where his crony/supplicant is on the board of the national football association.

Does that count as a mafia situation?

Captain Lithuania
What about a football league where one man has influence on at least 3 of the 8 teams and where his crony/supplicant is on the board of the national football association.

Does that count as a mafia situation?

We're talking about Hearts.. You know..?

We're talking about Hearts.. You know..?

The person I am talking about is the owner of Hearts. And he is the one complaining about mafia!

pennantjambo

If I were a follower of the OF I would be totally embarrassed especially those of a hun persuasion.

My delight at them losing the SPL on the last day of the season albeit to the mhanks gave me as much pleasure as what the hobos got from our failure on the last day in 86.

Frankly I, and no doubt many others couldnt give a toss if the GFAGers won another SPL then it occurred to me that the best way to ram it up them would be to make sure they dont win another and give them a taste of what its like to feel cheated.

The other 10 clubs could participate by making sure that when it comes near the end of the season when results have greater significance then the other 10 give the huns as hard a game as possible whilst easing off against the mhanks but making it publicly known that this will be the ploy.

Its a win win. The huns dont win the league and the mhanks only won it cause the others took their foot off the gas to let them do so.

The huns would go mental if they openly knew this was going on and the mhanks sense of winning the SPL would always be tarnished if they openly knew the other clubs let them win certain games(bit like St Midden ala 86)

If its not a level playing field now then the SPL as it stands it completely meaningless to everyone except the OF.

The GFA who preside over this are like the three wise monkeys and are happy to hear, see, and speak no evil so long as it gives them the desired results.

I don't think it really matters. I dont remember too many people moaning about the mafia when Hearts got a pen in the 1st minute of the cup final!

George Burley proved if you can out out a decent team you can go to Glasgow and get a result.

Romaknob and some fans like to hide behind the SFA/Mafia excuse and shy away from the fact that we just aren't good enough.

Until someone (i.e Vlad) takes responsibility for their actions and admits that the numberous clangers he's dropped are more to blame for Hearts being also rans than anything else, then we will continue to be so.

Captain Lithuania
The person I am talking about is the owner of Hearts. And he is the one complaining about mafia!

But he's right.

cobbyshambles
I don't think it really matters. I dont remember too many people moaning about the mafia when Hearts got a pen in the 1st minute of the cup final!

George Burley proved if you can out out a decent team you can go to Glasgow and get a result.

Romaknob and some fans like to hide behind the SFA/Mafia excuse and shy away from the fact that we just aren't good enough.

Until someone (i.e Vlad) takes responsibility for their actions and admits that the numberous clangers he's dropped are more to blame for Hearts being also rans than anything else, then we will continue to be so.

let's be honest, given the same situation now, would any of the referees have given us a penalty?

gorgie rd eh11

It's great that we got a 50/50 decision more than ten years ago, but continually using it to suggest "these things even themselves out" is laughable.

But he's right.

He is in a glass house, throwing stones and breaking his own windows.

While the goats eat his cabbage patch.

Archived