Old Movies

Louise

It has been brought to my attention that I have not seen enough classic movies. The oldest film I have in my expansive collection is Attack of the Crab Monsters, an absolutely hilarious B-Movie from 1957, which I really don't think counts. I've seen the likes of Some Like It Hot and am watching The Sweet Smell of Success right now, any suggestion of favourite films?

Its A Wonderful Life

Citizen Kane

The Third Man

The Maltese Falcon

The Lady Vanishes and The 39 Steps by Hitchcock are also brilliant.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Here are a few older movies to get started with (I limited myself to pre-1960 movies)...

From the 1920s - The General

From the 1930s - The 39 Steps, Top Hat, The Wizard of Oz

From the 1940s - Citizen Kane, Casablanca, It's a Wonderful Life, On The Town, A Matter of Life And Death, Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Third Man, The Red Shoes, The Shop Around The Corner

From the 1950s - High Noon, Singin' In The Rain, From Here To Eternity, North By Northwest, Vertigo, Rear Window, The Searchers, The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Ladykillers, 12 Angry Men, The Seven Samurai (Some Like It Hot would have been in there if you hadn't already mentioned it)

:toasting:

Told a lie when I said the Crab Monsters was my oldest film, I have Casablanca too so I stand corrected :) great film. I reckon Rick's looks like a really fun bar! :D

all of the above, especially arsenic and old lace and the maltese falcon(went to see it a the filmhouse a few years ago and so much better on the big screen) but to add a few more;

white heat

the big sleep

angels with dirty faces

the Philadelphia story

The Roaring Twenties (Cagney and Bogey), Dial M for Murder (Grace Kelly), Kind Hearts and Coronets (Dennis Price and Alec Guiness), High Society (Sinatra and Crosby):toasting:

Go for any films with Robert Mitchum,Cape Fear and Night of the Hunter good starting points.Same with Errol Flynn,Robin Hood and Dodge City are musts.I got the Errol Flynn signature collection for ?15 recently from hmv online.

winchester 73

Ace in the hole - kirk douglas

All that money can buy and the treasure of the sierra madre - walter houston

Mr smith goes to washington - jimmy stewart

sullivans travels - joel mccrae.............................

feck, I could be here all night:sad:

check this out as it has lots of classics on it

http://www.listology.com/content_show.cfm/content_id.23044

Carl Weathers

Lawrence of Arabia was pretty good, if a little on the camp side.

The good, the bad and the ugly - superb.

Rebel without a cause - slightly disappointing for me but worth a watch.

Commander Harris
Yes I am a genius, thanks.

I'm always raving about that film on here - so I'm the genius! :P

EDIT: that smiley look's a bit gayer than the old [noparse]:P[/noparse]

Ryan Gosling
I'm always raving about that film on here - so I'm the genius! :P

EDIT: that smiley look's a bit gayer than the old [noparse]:P[/noparse]

Just a bit.

I love the line about being smart and pleasant.

they really don't make films like they used to

i love all my old marilyns & hepburns

whatever happened to baby jane

casablanca

its a wonderful life

wizard of oz

breakfast at tiffanys

gentlemen prefer blondes

sabrina

crikey i could be here all night

does Cocoon count?

No. The OP is interested in old films , not films about old people.:P

I'm please to see so many JKBers sharing my faves : Marx Brothers , Treasure of Sierra Madre , Third Man.

I'd also nominate anything by Hitchcock.

African Queen is a classic - I think it was Bogarts last film. Terrific performances from him and Hepburn.

I P Knightley

Loads of good suggestions so far.

Notable among them for me is 12 Angry Men - a truly brilliant set of acting performances.

I'd add Roman Holiday which I found myself watching the other night. Audrey Hepburn's debut (she won the best Actress Oscar) and a good, fun story to boot. I was amused to see the state of Hepburn's teeth. There's no doubting that she was gorgeous (aka "would get it") but she hadn't had to have her teeth fixed, straightened and whitened. I doubt you'd see any bird in a leading role in Hollywood without perfectly straight shiny-white pearlers.

The (Oscar-winning) screenplay was written by a guy called Dalton Trumbo who was, at the time on the blacklist following Senator McCarthy's witch-hunt. Therefore Trumbo went uncredited and was only recognised by the Academy in about 1993 - posthumously. The first movie, post McCarthy, to officially credit Trumbo was Spartacus - so he certainly knew his stuff about writing for the movies.

Sawdust Caesar

Thrillers not mentioned I like

Double Indemnity

Rope

Strangers on a Train

Psycho

Comedies

I love Bob Hope films, Ghostbreakers, My Fave Brunette/Blonde and the road movies. Also the Thin man series with William Powell and the lovely Myrna Loy.

Some great stuff on here.

Might I suggest "Best Years of Our Lives" with the great Myrna Loy, Frederick March and Harold Russell. His only film and an Oscar winner

What about the Duke?

The Searchers

The Cavalry Trilogy

Stagecoach

Rio Lobo

The Quiet Man

The Shootist

and

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

North By NorthWest, which has one of the great film goofs of all time. The kid with his fingers in his ears before the shot is fired in the restaurant.

"Now, Voyager" is another good from the 40s.

prognosis.. TERMINAL!

class film, love it

just remembered the old version of wuthering heights with laurence olivier and olivia de havilland i think it was. i loved that film when i was little

what about the original war of the worlds? another great film

No. The OP is interested in old films , not films about old people.:P

phew... thought no-one would get the joke. cheers!

;)

Malinga the Swinga

Bought a collection of old Hitchcock films to add to my Miss Marple one and they are fantastic.

Give the Seven Samurai a shot as well, subtitled but puts the Magnificent 7 firmly in its shadow.

Someone else mentioned Some Like It Hot, a classic with the best last line ever. Won't say what it is in case anyone hasn't seen it.

Malinga the Swinga
He wins the chariot race:p

Spoilsport, just hope you haven't seen Titanic yet. Wonder what happens at the end.

winchester 73

just remembered the old version of wuthering heights with laurence olivier and olivia de havilland i think it was. i loved that film when i was little

Merle Oberon, close but no cigar. I love being a smartass when it comes to old movies ;)

Archived