Is it time to play your weakest side V The Old Firm?

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

I think it was Bert Paton, whilst managing Dunfermline, who declared that matches against the Old Firm did not matter. He was slated at the time for stating it, but really, was he wrong?

When the Old Firm really need a result in Glasgow, the result is a foregone conclusion. It is probably a foregone conclusion regardless the importance of any one fixture. There is no need to go over the Levein outburst. We all know he is right.

Now we have lost another player after being sent off under dubious circumstances when a match was in the balance at Ibrox. This player will not be available for our next match, a home game v St Mirren which, lets face it, is far more important a match because it is at home against so-called lesser opponents and is where we expect to pick up the bulk of our points.

Why then, play a full, first choice side when you know you CANNOT win? Why risk injury/suspensions for a forlorn hope? I don't think this is being negative, just realistic.

Even at home, the spectre of official interference in a result is always hovering around where these two clubs are involved.

Third spot is all we are really playing for. It is vital for Hearts and other clubs to get into Europe, so why not just cut off the Old Firm completely, see these matches as no more than training matches for younger players. Why risk MONEY gained in Europe by playing two clubs where sadly, you are beaten before you take the field because of the corruption in the Scottish game?

I hate going to games v Rantic at Tynie. the atmosphere stinks, the hatred in the air is vile and you ususally leave the match disgusted. Except in the sadly, very few occasions where we beat them, when the feeling is truly great and makes up for other defeats.

I am no admirer of Romanov but he has our p*ssant league well sussed. NO other team would be ALLOWED to win the league.

I would do anything to try and curb Old Firm power.

Cut them off completely by showing your utter contempt for them, the media and the SFA. Look after number one: Heart of Midlothian FC.

A match versus Hamilton, St Mirren etc is more important now than versus the gruesome twosome.

Spot on. And the fans should not waste their hard earned money going there either.

Rabbie_Burns
Spot on. And the fans should not waste their hard earned money going there either.

I for one no longer attend either of their vile and corrupt cauldrons of hatred despite hardly missing matches at both venues in the 80's and early 90's

siegementality

Yet Hearts requested more tickets when our over confident fans thought there was a chance of beating the rioters.

I agree to an extent with what FWJ says but only on the grounds that the majority of teams aren't good enough to beat the OF anyway.

I think it was Bert Paton, whilst managing Dunfermline, who declared that matches against the Old Firm did not matter. He was slated at the time for stating it, but really, was he wrong?

When the Old Firm really need a result in Glasgow, the result is a foregone conclusion. It is probably a foregone conclusion regardless the importance of any one fixture. There is no need to go over the Levein outburst. We all know he is right.

Now we have lost another player after being sent off under dubious circumstances when a match was in the balance at Ibrox. This player will not be available for our next match, a home game v St Mirren which, lets face it, is far more important a match because it is at home against so-called lesser opponents and is where we expect to pick up the bulk of our points.

Why then, play a full, first choice side when you know you CANNOT win? Why risk injury/suspensions for a forlorn hope? I don't think this is being negative, just realistic.

Even at home, the spectre of official interference in a result is always hovering around where these two clubs are involved.

Third spot is all we are really playing for. It is vital for Hearts and other clubs to get into Europe, so why not just cut off the Old Firm completely, see these matches as no more than training matches for younger players. Why risk MONEY gained in Europe by playing two clubs where sadly, you are beaten before you take the field because of the corruption in the Scottish game?

I hate going to games v Rantic at Tynie. the atmosphere stinks, the hatred in the air is vile and you ususally leave the match disgusted. Except in the sadly, very few occasions where we beat them, when the feeling is truly great and makes up for other defeats.

I am no admirer of Romanov but he has our p*ssant league well sussed. NO other team would be ALLOWED to win the league.

Cut them off completely by showing your utter contempt for them, the media and the SFA. Look after number one: Heart of Midlothian FC.

A match versus Hamilton, St Mirren etc is more important now than versus the gruesome twosome.

Agree with the thinking behind this, I would also like to add regarding the away ticket allocation given to the Ugly Sisters, we should also look to give them the minimum percentage of tickets , no matter if you can sell all your home tickets! Clubs should stop making them think we need them in this league, Clubs like Killie give them two full stands, which basically turns it into a Homd game for the Ugly Sisters! OLD FIRM GTF!!!!

I'm gradually getting disheartened by the bias & utter nonsense that every team has to tolerate when playing these ****ers.

Equally, I get fed up moaning about it for days.

I think I might hang myself tonight.

:wilted_rose:

john brownlee

total agree with OP I have said this for years you could comfortably win the league if you ignored the squirm concentrate on the rest because sometimes its the aftermath that actually causes more damage. plus you have young uns prepared to have a go with no fear of getting suspended no history with the GFA, what have they to lose and the opportunity to grab a headline and a future place in the big team . I would go for it every time and only put a full strengths team at say the end of the season when or cup finals when we can muster a full team with nothing to lose. plus to would show that we have no respect for the corrupt sisters and their brothers.

If Hearts were a normal football club, this would be a sound and totally practicable way of thinking.

However, Hearts aren't a normal football club. Unfortunately, Vlad would never allow a weakened team to take the field against the OF (unless, of course, it was his doing) and our fans would never accept the ?26 ticket price to watch it.

In theory, it's sound; in modern-day real life (with Hearts), it's a non-starter, unfortunately.

Absolutely away from home, back at tynie do not allow any away fans and make it hell for the bigot brothers, c'mon Hibees and Dons fans you must agree

monkfish1979

TBH, I'm quietly praying that something will change for the better in Scottish football. How can we expect to flourish on an international scale when the entire league system here is dominated by two clubs that, while they might have many more fans than most, have squandered more money on duff signings and poor managment in the last ten years than most Scottish clubs have seen since their inception?

Every decision over there is political. Every signing is a popularity contest. Rankers had an extraordinary run of luck last season which meant sitting through some of the most eye-meltingly boring football matches ever played.

Levein had a go at what most people with any understanding of the game agreed was a blatantly unfair refereeing decision. What happened? He was fined! In most jobs, if you feel that you've been treated unfairly, the governing body is there for your protection, and the idea that one of the organizations own employees - when reported - would have any input whatsoever into a review of his actions would be laughed out of the boardroom as possibly the most excrable plan ever formulated. The GFA obviously thought it was a stroke of genius - much less paperwork and absolutely no liability for the outcome.

When it gets to the point that even a sickeningly biased media remove their green and blue bigotvision specs and feel they even need to ask the question then something is seriously wrong. Even Chick Dung had a go! Chick ****ing Young!!! The man is to objective journalism what smelly green seeping crotch rot is to a lingerie model - and he was raging!

The GFA is a complete farce. We won't see any team win anything of consequence in the SPL until cockroaches like Gordon Smith are punted and people with half a brain and a modicum of morality are appointed in their place.

what gets me is the blatantly obvious biased refeering decisions that the old firm get and the way the bigot brothers can do what they want on the field of play.

everyone can see it with there own eyes but then claim the one person who's not shy in pointing it out in the media(mad vlad)gets slated by the media and his own supporters????

his methods in running a football club aint what they should be but when he speaks out on scottish football the mans bang on the money!!!!!

corruption has been identified in one of the biggest leagues in the world yet when its happening in one of argueably the smallest leagues in the world in front of millions of viewers its just ignored amazes me it truelly does.

Harry Palmer
TBH, I'm quietly praying that something will change for the better in Scottish football. How can we expect to flourish on an international scale when the entire league system here is dominated by two clubs that, while they might have many more fans than most, have squandered more money on duff signings and poor managment in the last ten years than most Scottish clubs have seen since their inception?

Every decision over there is political. Every signing is a popularity contest. Rankers had an extraordinary run of luck last season which meant sitting through some of the most eye-meltingly boring football matches ever played.

Levein had a go at what most people with any understanding of the game agreed was a blatantly unfair refereeing decision. What happened? He was fined! In most jobs, if you feel that you've been treated unfairly, the governing body is there for your protection, and the idea that one of the organizations own employees - when reported - would have any input whatsoever into a review of his actions would be laughed out of the boardroom as possibly the most excrable plan ever formulated. The GFA obviously thought it was a stroke of genius - much less paperwork and absolutely no liability for the outcome.

When it gets to the point that even a sickeningly biased media remove their green and blue bigotvision specs and feel they even need to ask the question then something is seriously wrong. Even Chick Dung had a go! Chick ****ing Young!!! The man is to objective journalism what smelly green seeping crotch rot is to a lingerie model - and he was raging!

The GFA is a complete farce. We won't see any team win anything of consequence in the SPL until cockroaches like Gordon Smith are punted and people with half a brain and a modicum of morality are appointed in their place.

I agree with everything you have said. Today, listening to 'BBC Sportsound' they denied that there was a 'mafia' etc. I say if you control the media you control the masses (Sir David?). So, will there be in depth analysis of Stuart Dougal? Will Miko be exonerated? I think we both know the answer....

Scottish football requires change, 16/18 spl, reserve teams in the leagues and relegation from the 3rd division. Why should some nonentity have control over clubs(David Taylor!). Also, a move away from Glasgow to the Govt being involved or at least launching an enquiry into the way its run, just a thought!

I agree with everything you have said. Today, listening to 'BBC Sportsound' they denied that there was a 'mafia' etc. I say if you control the media you control the masses (Sir David?). So, will there be in depth analysis of Stuart Dougal? Will Miko be exonerated? I think we both know the answer....

Scottish football requires change, 16/18 spl, reserve teams in the leagues and relegation from the 3rd division. Why should some nonentity have control over clubs(David Taylor!). Also, a move away from Glasgow to the Govt being involved or at least launching an enquiry into the way its run, just a thought!

i bet if an investigation(ie:what happened in the italian leagues)was undertaken more than a few skeletons would be uncovered.

the way people dismiss any corruption in scottish football to refereeing mistakes and "he was scared of the big" crowds is a complete and utter joke.

its plain to see but yet a couple of hoursafter games fans just seem to forget what they've witnessed in front of there own eyes!!!

Absolutely away from home, back at tynie do not allow any away fans and make it hell for the bigot brothers, c'mon Hibees and Dons fans you must agree

what difference would even that make bigwull?

look at the game against rankers when miko got sent off...rangers player drops in the box a hearts player no where near him and both the linesman and the referee claim a penalty???????????

Carl Spackler

I'm a pished man.

I could play better than most of the SPL.

Scottish Football sucks baws.

Long Live Micheal Phelps.

You're a bunch of lazy ****s.

I'm a pished man.

I could play better than most of the SPL.

Scottish Football sucks baws.

Long Live Micheal Phelps.

You're a bunch of lazy ****s.

away to your scratcher!!!

Good point. Well made.

Advice not taken.

ok well you can stay up with all ous hillbillies then:toasting:

:wub:

Toxteth O'Grady

Rather than playing our weakest side an alternative would be to play a "physical' side against them. Guys in the mould of Barrasa and Kanchelskis could be drafted in for these games on the instruction of paying close attention to their most valuable players.

Lets face it the GFA will send at least one of our players off anyway so we might as well do them some damage in the process.

I think I must have got out the wrong side of the bed this morning:(

Jam Tarts 1874

I agree with the OP and most of what has already been said. However at some point over the next couple of seasons you have to hope that our team will be stronger than it is now and at some point we will be able to get results in Glasgow by being BETTER than them.

Jam Tarts 1874
Rather than playing our weakest side an alternative would be to play a "physical' side against them. Guys in the mould of Barrasa and Kanchelskis could be drafted in for these games on the instruction of paying close attention to their most valuable players.

Lets face it the GFA will send at least one of our players off anyway so we might as well do them some damage in the process.

I think I must have got out the wrong side of the bed this morning:(

We have a young guy called Wagner who looks like he was designed for hod-carrying and maybe we could bring back Brellier just for the trips to Glasgow.

I know you're on the wind up, but I'll answer you as if you're not.

This sort of thinking sickens me. If we have to beat the OF by taking on and beating the SFA in the shape of the referees and other officials, then so be it. It's up to Heart of Midlothian FC to rise to the challenge by any means possible. Giving up is not an option. :mad:

Much as I despise the cod heads, much of their success in the early/mid 80s was motivated by the "everyone's against us" attitude created by Ferguson in the run up to OF games.

I know you're on the wind up, but I'll answer you as if you're not.

This sort of thinking sickens me. If we have to beat the OF by taking on and beating the SFA in the shape of the referees and other officials, then so be it. It's up to Heart of Midlothian FC to rise to the challenge by any means possible. Giving up is not an option. :mad:

Much as I despise the cod heads, much of their success in the early/mid 80s was motivated by the "everyone's against us" attitude created by Ferguson in the run up to OF games.

Agree completely but I sure you'll agree that the sheep could back that attitude up by having a team that could go and win regularly in Glasgow.

It also mystifies me why you wouldn't want to put out your strongest team against them.Don't get that at all.Get into them!

I sure you'll agree that the sheep could back that attitude up by having a team that could go and win regularly in Glasgow.

I know where you're coming from. Their side was certainly better equipped than our is currently, but it's a bit off chicken and egg scenario. Sellik and Rangers FC are no great shakes. Who's to say we couldn't go and win if we just got the attitude sorted out and, as another poster suggested, at least start by dragging them into a physical battle.

I know where you're coming from. Their side was certainly better equipped than our is currently, but it's a bit off chicken and egg scenario. Sellik and Rangers FC are no great shakes. Who's to say we couldn't go and win if we just got the attitude sorted out and, as another poster suggested, at least start by dragging them into a physical battle.

Couldn't agree more. And look at what the Huns are bringing in: a mixture of physical and flair. If they land Bresciano you can bet your sweet butt they intend to mix things to land the SPL this season. If we can match them physically, that's when they (and their support) get rattled. It's happened before, let's do them again!!

Thunderstruck

Is this the Bulldog spirit that saw off the damned bosch. :rolleyes:

Despite their greater spending power they are not very good and compare badly with Championship teams. They and GFA repeatedly fail to realise that healthy domestic competition is the only way that Scotland will produce teams that will be able to compete on bigger stages. But all that matters to the uglies is winning, they don't care who it is as long as their neanderthal legions go away happy. They would be happy enough to play 10 teams of 3rd Div standard as long as the morons get their win fix.

Buster Bluth

"at least start by dragging them into a physical battle."

Is this really an option when playing in Glasgow?! We'd be playing with 5 asides by half time!

Charlie-Brown

The mentality of those football supporters, mostly west of scotland, who support Rangers & Celtic is that the Old Firm ARE Scottish football - the most important thing about scottish football and the rest are just there to provide some competition / opposition - however the others don't really matter, only what affects Rangers & Celtic really matters.

Many people who think this way occupy important positions within football and the media - it is this inherent bias that damages our game - Rangers being treated differently and as a special case compared to 3 other clubs in regards failing to properly administer their youth team coaches is a perfect example.

This bias influences decisions on and off the pitch - that is the problem.

Hawick Jambo

I can see where the original poster is coming from although it just won't happen.

To my mind we should concentrate on beating the other teams outwith the OF and build a team capable of doing that. We did that a few years ago and had a v successful season.

Father Tiresias

I think it's easy to wallow in a pond of self pity following a bad result in Glasgow.

Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean took their Aberdeen and Dundee United sides to Glasgow regularly in the 1980's and took maximum points often.

They proved it can be done. What needs to change is the attitude of the other clubs.

Jam Tarts 1874
"at least start by dragging them into a physical battle."

Is this really an option when playing in Glasgow?! We'd be playing with 5 asides by half time!

No, not 5 asides. Rangers and Celtic would still have their 11. :sad:

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
I think it's easy to wallow in a pond of self pity following a bad result in Glasgow.

Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean took their Aberdeen and Dundee United sides to Glasgow regularly in the 1980's and took maximum points often.

They proved it can be done. What needs to change is the attitude of the other clubs.

The fact is that St Midden have lost a player through suspension and the following week, we have after games in Glasgow. Both dubious.

Its about self preservation. The SFA wont change, the whole environment wont change.

It will never happen anyway.

Toxteth O'Grady
The fact is that St Midden have lost a player through suspension and the following week, we have after games in Glasgow. Both dubious.

Its about self preservation. The SFA wont change, the whole environment wont change.

It will never happen anyway.

So what's wrong with playing a couple of "specialist players" who we don't need in the next games who can go and kick lumps out of their their most expensive players? It would have been a great welcome for Mendes and Bougherra yesterday to have some big old clogger clattering them at every chance.

We get players sent off there for nothing anyway so what is there to lose?

MacDonald Jardine
So what's wrong with playing a couple of "specialist players" who we don't need in the next games who can go and kick lumps out of their their most expensive players? It would have been a great welcome for Mendes and Bougherra yesterday to have some big old clogger clattering them at every chance.

We get players sent off there for nothing anyway so what is there to lose?

Would we get the benefit?

We'd likely end up with 7 or 8 players and lose anyway.

Any injuries they caused,which would seem to be the whole point, would help the club playing them next, probably one of our rivals.

I agree with a lot of posts on here however i just can't see playing a weakend team will help anyone. The refs could dictate this leugue in any way they wanted to, even if we exclude the OF games.

Someone mentioned that we could win the leugue by ignoring the OF games and going for maximum points from the other 9 teams. In theory this would work however you are forgetting that even our lower leugue fixtures such as St Mirren and ICT have referees who want the OF to do well. For example, lets say we are top of the leugue by 1 point going into the last game, Celtic and Rangers are equal on points and goal difference and are right behind us. We play ICT at home, and they are away to Hibs and Aberdeen. Regardless if Hibs or Aberdeen play their strongest side, our ref is still able to give ICT penalty after penalty to ensure that we lose. ICT's 3 points mean little at the bottom of the table, however the knock on effect on the top of the table would still count.

I am aware this wouldnt really happen due to the split, however you can all see where im coming from hopefully.

Toxteth O'Grady
Would we get the benefit?

We'd likely end up with 7 or 8 players and lose anyway.

Any injuries they caused,which would seem to be the whole point, would help the club playing them next, probably one of our rivals.

As you say we probably wouldn't get any short term benefit

It would need to be a co-ordinated effort by as many of the the non OF teams as poss.

I reckon Dundee Utd and St Midden would be up for it

A big problem is the tactics we employ in Glasgow. We go there to defend and frustrate with the hope that the fans will get on their team's back and the game will open up and we can nick the win. I'm sorry but this approach is predictable as every non-OF team tries it. Perhaps the referees give the uglies the benefit of the doubt as we are not trying to play football but rather to spoil? 3 years ago we used to go the CP in particular and take the match to them. They hated that and we even got some results - of course we also had dodgy decisions take points off us then too, but at least we could come away knowing that our team were better and cheated rather than just cheated...

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
A big problem is the tactics we employ in Glasgow. We go there to defend and frustrate with the hope that the fans will get on their team's back and the game will open up and we can nick the win. I'm sorry but this approach is predictable as every non-OF team tries it. Perhaps the referees give the uglies the benefit of the doubt as we are not trying to play football but rather to spoil? 3 years ago we used to go the CP in particular and take the match to them. They hated that and we even got some results - of course we also had dodgy decisions take points off us then too, but at least we could come away knowing that our team were better and cheated rather than just cheated...

Sure the tactics are questionable, but really so are our standard of our players right now.

However, as the focus at last appears to be on the authorities as it never has been before surely now is the time to strike. It was practically a law of Omerta in the past. Everyone knew it was going on but did and said nothing. Blanket TV coverage means these people are in the spotlight as never before. Sadly, they are still given carte blanche by their employers the SFA.

Sometimes, I actually dont believe they are corrupt, that in fact they are "institutionalised" by 130 years of bias. Difficult to break that down overnight.

Usually it takes a bloody revolution to change that type of thinking.

Pants Shaton

I didn't see the game yesterday but I'm told we competed reasonably well, whilst failing to make many chances. If we had been awarded the penalty, the game probably would have finished all square. In that case we would probably have seen many confident predictions about us beating Rangers at Tynecastle.

Even if two teams are evenly matched (e.g. Rangers & Celtic), the home team will generally take the points.

To clinch 3rd spot you need to win all your non-OF home games.

To win the league you need to win home and away and beat the OF. (I'm not suggesting for a second that we have a squad capable of that)

The Old Firm are beatable and, whilst I get the OP's point, we're probably best to avoid the advice of football sage, Bert Paton.

heart & soul

Great thread, totally agree with you.

We need all of the non OF clubs to unite in ridding our game of the "Scottish Disease."

If we don't do something soon then they will surely kill Scottish Football.

OFGTF.:mad:

john brownlee
Agree completely but I sure you'll agree that the sheep could back that attitude up by having a team that could go and win regularly in Glasgow.

It also mystifies me why you wouldn't want to put out your strongest team against them.Don't get that at all.Get into them!

I think that you will find that both the sheep and dundeehibos bet the rest and did not bother about the squirm. It is different today but the principle is still the same. as Brusie would say its points on the board.

Archived